• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Kravitz:

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Confirmed. Pep Hamilton new colts oc. If u haven't heard yet

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Hamilton was interviewing for the Oregon hc job when the colts grabbed him

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

Some good news on the minority issue-Colts made two outstanding hires-Jimmy Raye (VP Football Ops) and Pep Hamilton (OC). Rising stars!

Brad Wells (BBS) ‏@StampedeBlue

Harbaugh's 49ers run a similar offense to Hamilton-Shaw at Stanford. It's an O Luck and Fleener know very well.

I'd say the Brad Wells comment needs to be reversed....  Stanford and Pep Hamilton run the Harbaugh/Roman offense they left behind when they moved on to the 49ers.

Pep has made some adjustments,   but the principles and the foundation of the offense are from Harbaugh and Greg Roman,  not from Pep Hamilton.

Bad tude!........Lets see some statistics behind that blah....blah.....blah....Of those, I see two that had great years off the top of my head from memory.....Embrace change....this will NOT be Luck's first year with Pep...now he may even be peppier .. :spit:....10 wins with a tougher schedule 13 sounds good to me... :coltslogo:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm all for change, but it's hard to get excited when your HC is a defense guy, and your new OC has never called plays all by himself at any level.

I'd say the Brad Wells comment needs to be reversed....  Stanford and Pep Hamilton run the Harbaugh/Roman offense they left behind when they moved on to the 49ers.

Pep has made some adjustments,   but the principles and the foundation of the offense are from Harbaugh and Greg Roman,  not from Pep Hamilton.

Believe me, no one with half a brain takes anything Wells says seriously. 

I'm all for change, but it's hard to get excited when your HC is a defense guy, and your new OC has never called plays all by himself at any level.

He has.  Way back at Howard, most recently at Stanford.  Here is one article which he himself discusses the separation of play calling duties at Stanford - he had the red zone then.  Not sure what he had last season. 

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030211aaa.html

I really hate to burst everyone's bubble, but.....

Pep Hamilton did not call the plays for Stanford full time, ever. (Shaw calls the plays for Stanford)

Pep Hamilton did not draw up the game plan for Stanford, ever. (He was part of a 3 man group headed by Shaw to draw up the game plan on a weekly basis)

Pep Hamilton possibly last called his own plays more than a decade ago. (Hamilton University, HC could have been calling plays, unknown)

I was possibly the most optimistic person on this forum going into last year, and for me to do a complete 180 like this should say something. I don't like a team full of sophomore players, learning an offensive system where the coordinator doesn't even know it, and the head coach, was a former defensive coordinator, so he can't even help with the offensive play calling. Everything that us fans can see from the outside looks grim. I REALLY hope that the front office see's something I don't here or we are setting ourselves up for failure.

He has.  Way back at Howard, most recently at Stanford.  Here is one article which he himself discusses the separation of play calling duties at Stanford - he had the red zone then.  Not sure what he had last season. 

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030211aaa.html

eh, I guess he did call some plays.

1st and 2nd down, those were Stanford's running plays. lol

Pep Hamilton did not call the plays for Stanford, ever. (Shaw calls the plays for Stanford)

Pep Hamilton did not draw up the game plan for Stanford, ever. (He was part of a 3 man group headed by Shaw to draw up the game plan on a weekly basis)

Pep Hamilton possibly last called his own plays more than a decade ago. (Hamilton University, HC could have been calling plays, unknown)

I was possibly the most optimistic person on this forum going into last year, and for me to do a complete 180 like this should say something. I don't like a team full of sophomore players, learning an offensive system where the coordinator doesn't even know it, and the head coach, was a former defensive coordinator, so he can't even help with the offensive play calling. Everything that us fans can see from the outside looks grim. I REALLY hope that the front office see's something I don't here or we are setting ourselves up for failure.

I'm sure they do.. They know the man..They interviewed him.. I'm guessing they may know s tad more than any if us when it comes to running an NFL team.

Bad hire,

Almost 0 play calling experience in college level, let alone NFL.

QB coach for Chad Pennington(2004-2005), Vinny Testaverde(2004-2005), Alex Smith (2006) Rex Grossman(2007), Brian Griese(2007), Kyle Orton (2008) and Jay Cutler (2009)

Everyone of those QB's had one of their worst seasons under Pep.

I'm really really really scared about this, I really hope it pans out right, and he becomes great. I hope he is re-writing his game plan right now to hopefully something that works.

We were forced to make a change and I think FO picked up one of best 3 prospects for the job. No one wanted BA to go, but he took a HC job...at least Luck will have a familiar face, and Pep is said to be a rising star.

Pep Hamilton did not call the plays for Stanford full time, ever. (Shaw calls the plays for Stanford)

You are just a tad over the top with your negativity........

Don't know if Pep will be bringing his entire offensive philosophy from Stanford but if this is what is to come upon his arrival, i am very excited.  Things to note:

- Varied Formations

- Designed Roll Outs

- Timing Patterns

- Motion to keep Defenses Off Balanced

- Andrew Luck's attributes are the Star of the Show

I'm nonplussed as well. I'll be even less impressed if he insists on sitting in the booth during games instead of being on the sidelines.

I don't know much about Pep, but I think he will be a perfect fit here.  I think it will help that Luck is familiar with him from his time at Stanford. I am excited for next season to get here.  Let's GOOOOOO Colts !!!!!!!1   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe: 

:blueshoe:

So what did he do? Because from what you say it just seems like he just stood on the sideline Caldwell style.

Sorry, I meant to say that about half of the producing offense is already on the team.

I know that Luck & Fleener isn't literally half the offense and they had other receivers and they have Stepfan Taylor running the ball. But whenever I saw Stanford, I saw Luck and Fleener.

well you were right, when luck and fleener was there, they were the offense. actually if im not mistaken their avg points a game went down by two TD's after luck and fleener left. might be wrong, but i think that is right.

He manned up last December and said he cost Luck the Heisman.

"So why didn’t Andrew Luck win the Heisman Trophy, again?

“We’re a run-first team,” said Hamilton. “I feel like and I think about it all the time that I probably cost Andrew Luck the Heisman when it’s all said and done.”

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2012/12/29/football-hamilton-stanfords-offense-prepares-for-physical-badgers-defense-with-three-days-until-rose-bowl/

Lots of articles with him directly about run first, WCO at the core.  I'm anxious to hear from him and or Grigson about the philosophy.  The direction. 

If Kravitz is accurate, the interview was on the phone?  Was there time to perform any due diligence?  The offensive fit, discussion of philosophies completed in a couple hours over the phone?  On the one hand I'm thrilled this was handled quickly, get everyone right back on task as soon as possible, but the speed in this case, to hire what arguably is the most important position on the Colts staff considering the youth on that side of the ball...   I hope this was more thorough than it appears from the outside.

Replay assistant challenged the tweet. Grigs and Pags weren't sitting on their butts, screened possible best prospects and interviewed them before Arians' leave. I think Grigs must have Pep's number on speed dial... just in case.

Tweet is upheld.

So what did he do? Because from what you say it just seems like he just stood on the sideline Caldwell style.

There are articles (one linked above in another post) which say red zone and passing plays were his to call at various stages over the last two years.  As Silent says, Stanford has a three headed play calling monster.  He will be in the booth I'd bet - it's where he was at Stanford.  I have no idea how Stanford handled which coach got to call the play - maybe Shaw did a little Ro Sham Bo with the DC, and then used the bat signal to tell the running play coach or pass play coach who could speak, at which point he sent it on into the QB helmet. 

I'm taking a wait and see approach to this hire. I do hope he is able to tailor the offense to the talent we currently have. Reggie thrived being in motion and lined up all over the field this year and I would hate to stunt the progress TY made over the season on the deep routes.

How bout we let the man do his job for the Colts and then draw our conclusions....instead of proclaiming our offense DOA.

And I personally don't care if he OCs on the sidelines, in a press box or from a bar stool at the corner saloon....as long as our offense is balanced, unpredictable and scores points.

How bout we let the man do his job for the Colts and then draw our conclusions....instead of proclaiming our offense DOA.

And I personally don't care if he OCs on the sidelines, in a press box or from a bar stool at the corner saloon....as long as our offense is balanced, unpredictable and scores points.

I would apply if i could do it from a bar stool. Like many here, I've never called a bad play from there..

I think speculation is par for the course on a message board, don't you?

And I'm normally not dogmatic about where coordinators sit. A lot of people did a lot of moaning about Larry Coyer sitting up in the booth. It's not a huge deal; lots of coordinators sit upstairs. But I do think it's more effective to be on the sidelines than up in the booth, and I'd prefer it, personally. Probably a hundred times this season, Arians was there to look Luck in the face and talk to him as the offense came off the field. I think that's better than picking up a phone.