Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I really didn't watch too many Stanford games to have an opinion on the hire but, at least Luck and Fleener get some familiarity with the same offense they ran in college. So, what is everyones opinion on the hire? I know you watch Stanford often NCF, what's your take on the offense they like to run?

Well, if these accounts are true, then here's an early look of what the Colt's passing offense might look like. You will notice Luck, Fleener, and Whalen in these highlights- all Colts players now.

http://youtu.be/TgpRnDPbeIU

At first, I was hesitant to change from BA's "air it out" offense, but many of us wanted to see more role-outs and more completions. This has me a little excited, as long as we don't go ultra conservative, I can be good with this.

Per Kravitz:

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Confirmed. Pep Hamilton new colts oc. If u haven't heard yet

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Hamilton was interviewing for the Oregon hc job when the colts grabbed him

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

Some good news on the minority issue-Colts made two outstanding hires-Jimmy Raye (VP Football Ops) and Pep Hamilton (OC). Rising stars!

Brad Wells (BBS) ‏@StampedeBlue

Harbaugh's 49ers run a similar offense to Hamilton-Shaw at Stanford. It's an O Luck and Fleener know very well.

That was fast lol, they must have really wanted him.

And kudos to Grigson for looking around and not just promoting within to be warm and comfy.

I think Luck is going to thrive though, just a hunch. He can't not......he is too good. I hope this works out better for him and he takes less big hits next season!

I am excited.  I now have a little Pep in my step  :funny:

What does it mean?  10, 11,12, 13 14, 15, or 16 wins............nothing less!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

The Jets wanted him too........who wants the Jets?   :excited:  :excited:

Welcome Pep......you will have lovers and haters on this fun forum of ours!!!  Take us down the field...free up Andrew with designed roll-outs and no-huddle...let number 12 call some plays....lets get ready with a new and improved OL.....and some FA help in some key positions....attack the Draft like there is no tomorrow.  :thmup:

Colts fans, embrace that BA wanted a chance in life to be a head coach!!!  He gone!  Grigs, Pags, Manusky, and Pep.....all will have the sleeves rolled up...Let play football boys!!!!  Go  :pass:  :shoe:  :helmet:  :throwback:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltshorse:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!  By the way....I support Raye Jr. too.....congratulations Jim Irsay on this venture to get the Colts to the top!   :lombardi:  :lombardi:  :lombardi:

Per Kravitz:

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Confirmed. Pep Hamilton new colts oc. If u haven't heard yet

Bob Kravitz ‏@bkravitz

Hamilton was interviewing for the Oregon hc job when the colts grabbed him

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks

Some good news on the minority issue-Colts made two outstanding hires-Jimmy Raye (VP Football Ops) and Pep Hamilton (OC). Rising stars!

Brad Wells (BBS) ‏@StampedeBlue

Harbaugh's 49ers run a similar offense to Hamilton-Shaw at Stanford. It's an O Luck and Fleener know very well.

If Kravitz is accurate, the interview was on the phone?  Was there time to perform any due diligence?  The offensive fit, discussion of philosophies completed in a couple hours over the phone?  On the one hand I'm thrilled this was handled quickly, get everyone right back on task as soon as possible, but the speed in this case, to hire what arguably is the most important position on the Colts staff considering the youth on that side of the ball...   I hope this was more thorough than it appears from the outside.

If Kravitz is accurate, the interview was on the phone?  Was there time to perform any due diligence?  The offensive fit, discussion of philosophies completed in a couple hours over the phone?  On the one hand I'm thrilled this was handled quickly, get everyone right back on task as soon as possible, but the speed in this case, to hire what arguably is the most important position on the Colts staff considering the youth on that side of the ball...   I hope this was more thorough than it appears from the outside.

I think Grigson and Pagano have been preparing for this long before BA announced he was going to Arizona.

Bad hire,

Almost 0 play calling experience in college level, let alone NFL.

QB coach for Chad Pennington(2004-2005), Vinny Testaverde(2004-2005), Alex Smith (2006) Rex Grossman(2007), Brian Griese(2007), Kyle Orton (2008) and Jay Cutler (2009)

Everyone of those QB's had one of their worst seasons under Pep.

I'm really really really scared about this, I really hope it pans out right, and he becomes great. I hope he is re-writing his game plan right now to hopefully something that works.

I think Grigson and Pagano have preparing for this long before BA announced he was going to Arizona.

I agree.  But no mention of Hamilton before today, and it went from on the short list to hired in a couple hours.  I'm sure he was on that short list for some time.  But Arians was hired yesterday.  So at best there were how many interviewed in the last 24 hours?  Maybe he was it, has been in talks with the Colts for weeks.  Hope so. 

Bad hire,

QB coach for Chad Pennington(2004-2005), Vinny Testaverde(2004-2005), Alex Smith (2006) Rex Grossman(2007), Brian Griese(2007), Kyle Orton (2008) and Jay Cutler (2009)

I'm really really really scared about this, I really hope it pans out right, and he becomes great. I hope he is re-writing his game plan right now to hopefully something that works.

Apparently Irsay and Grigson disagree with you

Grigs made it clear he had a plan B...which he called a "doomsday" plan.  I do not understand that term utilization, but I am sure Pep was on speed-dial.....and Luck had a little somethin' to do with it.....gotta love a designed rollout!  HMMM....we called for tha this year!!  Lets Roll fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YES WE CAN!!!! :td:  :td:  :td:

Edited by BrentMc11

I love the hire!  I love Bruce Arians but I was hoping he would take another job so we could get an OC that fit more of what Luck has done and what he has been most successful in.  What I like about Pep is that he does run a WCO but he is very innovative. We need that.

He runs a WCO? News to me, last I heard he didn't run any offense or call any plays, Shaw calls the plays, and Shaw heads up the game preparations with Hamilton and another.

This means that the offensive players will be learning their second offensive system in two consecutive years, with the exception of Luck, Fleener, and Whalen. I am aware that it was unavoidable once Arians left, however, guys like Reggie will not be happy about the change. Especially after he had such a great year this season. He would have to start all over again, and he's most likely not sure how he will be used.

Dwayne Allen, along with Fleener will thrive in this type of offense. The Stanford offense uses the tight ends very well.

Andrew Luck will continue to be brilliant.

I am curious to see what changes occur with our O-line and blocking schemes--especially in our run game.

Bad hire,

Bad tude!........Lets see some statistics behind that blah....blah.....blah....Of those, I see two that had great years off the top of my head from memory.....Embrace change....this will NOT be Luck's first year with Pep...now he may even be peppier .. :spit:....10 wins with a tougher schedule 13 sounds good to me... :coltslogo:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad hire,

That's not exactly a stellar line up of QBs though.