Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's past 12:30a here on the West Coast...

Late buzz from Stanford....

A high possibility that Pep Hamilton will leave for a pro OC job...   but no one knows which one yet...   Colts considered to be among multiple opportunities...

People at Stanford think he's bound to be offered by some team and that he'll accept.  

Again,  I'm not saying it's the Colts...   only that it seems quite possible that Hamilton is leaving Stanford for the NFL....

There are articles about the Jets.  But that was a couple days ago.  Not sure if you're hearing those stories, or new ones. 

I too am in the Stanford market, and have watched a lot of Stanford football.  Pep is great for them, but I don't think he is ready for the NFL, at least not for the Colts as they are currently constructed.  I do see a much better match for his style with the Jets, so it isn't a surprise to me to read those links, possible interview there. 

Bleacher Report, take that for what it's worth, just released a story saying Pep is a "leading candidate" for the OC job with the Colts.  Mort is on it too, others reporting it... 

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=835295-colts-pep-hamilton-a-favorite-for-oc-job

I don't think the Colts are built to run his style in the OL or at RB, so this would be interesting.  But, as we all know, the OL had to be upgraded, and they interviewed Ray Graham.  This is a run first, pass second O, run to set up the pass offense, and would be a change in philosophy for next season. 

We are all assuming that if Pep joins the Colts, he will continue to run the same exact Stanford offense. Jim Harbaugh now runs a different style of offense than he did at Stanford. Some things are the same, but he's changed the offense to suit his players.

That's what I expect to happen if Pep is hired. Pep may do some things similarly, but will have to change his playbook to better suit the NFL defenses that the Colts face, and to suit his players. We don't have a smash mouth O-line, and we are built to be a passing team with all of the speed that we have with our receivers and TEs.

Bleacher Report, take that for what it's worth, just released a story saying Pep is a "leading candidate" for the OC job with the Colts.  Mort is on it too, others reporting it... 

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=835295-colts-pep-hamilton-a-favorite-for-oc-job'>http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=835295-colts-pep-hamilton-a-favorite-for-oc-job

I don't think the Colts are built to run his style in the OL or at RB, so this would be interesting.  But, as we all know, the OL had to be upgraded, and they interviewed Ray Graham.  This is a run first, pass second O, run to set up the pass offense, and would be a change in philosophy for next season. 

Maybe he is playing to Stanford's strengths

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=835295-colts-pep-hamilton-a-favorite-for-oc-job

I think you are reading too much into the Colts personnel vs. what he has at Stanford. First off, upgrades at those positions are likely to begin with. And secondly, there is also the very real possibility that he adapts to the personnel here. Most good coaches are not trying to put round pegs into square holes.

Maybe he is playing to Stanford's strengths

Oh I agree 100%.  And I agree with Flash too in the above post that he will have to adjust, and would with the weapons on a pro roster.  His history with the Jets, 49ers, Bears, and Stanford says a ton of run though.  He wasn't calling plays in all those places, but the history says run first.  Maybe out of necessity due to the rosters, but it is what it is. 

I think you are reading too much into the Colts personnel vs. what he has at Stanford. First off, upgrades at those positions are likely to begin with. And secondly, there is also the very real possibility that he adapts to the personnel here. Most good coaches are not trying to put round pegs into square holes.

I may well be, but I also don't think he has been a closet run and shoot guy either...  I think he has a basic philosophy which won't be substantially deviated from.  The huge advantage if he is the guy is also just as obvious - Luck, the TEs the Colts have, many of the components are going to fit hand in glove.  If this ends up happening I won't be upset, I just see a change coming in priorities, which may well work out great.

I hope Pep gets the job.  I think his offense would fit the personnel better.

Also, I would expect that probably every 3-4 years, we will need a new OC.  We were lucky with Tom Moore that has was considered too old to be a HC.  So he stayed here forever.   That is unusual with a high octane offense.   So now that we are looking at younger, up and comers, we will be more like the Patriots. If Hamilton is hired, expect in 3-4 years for him to get a HC job and we have to replace him. 

I hope Pep gets the job. I think his offense would fit the personnel better.

Also, I would expect that probably every 3-4 years, we will need a new OC. We were lucky with Tom Moore that has was considered too old to be a HC. So he stayed here forever. That is unusual with a high octane offense. So now that we are looking at younger, up and comers, we will be more like the Patriots. If Hamilton is hired, expect in 3-4 years for him to get a HC job and we have to replace him.

moore wasn't thought to be too old he just made it known he had no interest in being a Head Coach.

I'm a little concerned about this. Don't know much about Pep aside from the observations here. My main issue is the Colts moving to a run first offense. If Pep is indeed more of a runner than passer, what I would call conservative, I think the combo of him and Pagano (who has very conservative offensive tendencies based on what he says in interviews) could lead us down the wrong path. You don't win in the current NFL that way unless your defense is absolutely dominant. Just look at our division, which was built to be run heavy and physical to counteract Peyton, and who is left in the playoffs. The Texans are a perfect example of the ceiling that style of O gets you in the current NFL context and the 49ers are the exception because of their D and the playmaking ability of Kaep. I would also like a more seasoned NFL mind since Pagano has zero experience coaching offense and has only been a head coach for 4 NFL games. 

I don't feel one way or another about this, I don't know enough about him. If I had to pick one I would guess I'd say I'm optimistic, I like a good story line. I'll be a greater fan of Pep's if he works in more tight end plays.

I'm a little concerned about this. Don't know much about Pep aside from the observations here. My main issue is the Colts moving to a run first offense. If Pep is indeed more of a runner than passer, what I would call conservative, I think the combo of him and Pagano (who has very conservative offensive tendencies based on what he says in interviews) could lead us down the wrong path. You don't win in the current NFL that way unless your defense is absolutely dominant. Just look at our division, which was built to be run heavy and physical to counteract Peyton, and who is left in the playoffs. The Texans are a perfect example of the ceiling that style of O gets you in the current NFL context and the 49ers are the exception because of their D and the playmaking ability of Kaep. I would also like a more seasoned NFL mind since Pagano has zero experience coaching offense and has only been a head coach for 4 NFL games. 

I think you are putting the cart before the horse with this worry. First off, it has not happened yet. But more importantly, I think it is a very faulty assumption to make that he will run the same style as he did at Stanford. The game is different, the personnel is different and the strength of the team is # 12. I seriously doubt all of the sudden Luck is only throwing on 3rd down. Plus I think the rationale is faulty too - the Texans ceiling is their QB, not their style of O.

Quick profile of Pep Hamilton:

Hamilton is a guy who interests me quite a bit. Alex Smith and Kyle Orton showed their first signs of life with him as their position coach, but I am most interested in his work at Stanford. Stanford has built one of the model programs in college football, and their offense has gotten a ton of praise as a result. Hamilton coached under Jim Harbaugh as wide receivers coach in 2010 and received his promotion in 2011.

Stanford is a team built around the power run game. It's easy to misinterpret what that means. That does not imply a neglect for the passing game. It is more about what the offense is built on. Stanford likes to use jumbo sets and smash the ball down the opponent's throat. Their ability to do so creates opportunities for big plays in the passing game. The other team has to drop their safeties into the box, creating favorable matchups on the outside. The linebackers take their first step in, opening the middle of the field on play action.

There are essentially two ways you can create big passing plays. The first is the way Stanford does. The second is to stick your quarterback into the shotgun constantly with spread sets. The second only works if you have a quarterback good enough to make quick reads and throw pinpoint passes into tight windows. Only around a quarter of NFL teams have anybody who can do that. The rest need to lean on the run game to make life easier on their quarterback. The Jets are certainly in that number.

I like Hamilton because given what the Jets have now, his offense will be an easier transition than a West Coast system built around precise passes and backs who can catch. The Jets can have a pinpoint focus on building the offensive line into a dominant unit and run some kind of effective variety of Hamilton's offense.

The question is why Hamilton would take this job. He seems like an up and comer. He is probably going to have other opportunities in the future, and having another excellent year at Stanford is going to be better for his career than making a jump to an unstable situation where there is a total lack of talent and a horrendous quarterback situation. If the Jets can figure out a way to sell him on this job, I would be thrilled because he seems like an excellent fit.

We all know as Colts fans that Peyton Manning had an incredible influence on the offense that we ran when he was here.

Is it possible that Luck, too, can have this type of influence? He's already accustomed to Pep's style of offense from Stanford and is now accustomed to Arian's style of offense. Is there any chance that Luck says" Let's take the best of both approaches and be unpredictable." Let's be at times, ground and pound, and at times let's air it out and take shots downfield.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse with this worry. First off, it has not happened yet. But more importantly, I think it is a very faulty assumption to make that he will run the same style as he did at Stanford. The game is different, the personnel is different and the strength of the team is # 12. I seriously doubt all of the sudden Luck is only throwing on 3rd down. Plus I think the rationale is faulty too - the Texans ceiling is their QB, not their style of O.

I agree this is way too early to assess, all just speculaiton now.  But looking at the teams he has been on staff with since 2003 and reaching the conclusion that he would be run first, run to set up the pass, isn't faulty, it's history and documented and far from speculation.  In 2010 he had Luck, and Stanford ran it 535 times, Luck threw 372 passes.  As OC this season, 399 passes, 549 runs.  Luck had no functional change in the play calling and offensive philosophy, even with red shirt freshmen at QB.  But that's college.  Ok, look at the Jets, 49ers, and Bears in the years he worked there.  It's not faulty to look at ten seasons of history and reach a conclusion.  That isn't saying he wouldn't adapt.  It's saying here is his history.

Mort is reporting he is the leading canadit. I think it's time we give the blue and white and colts name to Baltimore or Denver and rename ourselves the Indianapolis Cardinal not to be confused with Cardinals.

No blue is my favorite color darn it. 

I may be putting the cart before the horse but a concern is a concern. Every coach has a core philosophy. I'm not saying Pep's is run first but is appears that it may be. As I alluded to, I honestly don't know enough about Pep to have a concrete opinion at this point hence the word concerned. Dating back to 2009 (e.g., Luck), Stanford has had more rushing attempts than passing attempts. Under Pep in 2011, I remember watching a few games and seeing them run instead of throw and settle for FGs...the bowl game was the perfect example. He had the best QB in the nation and played conservative football on multiple occasions. That is a tendency and what I don't want to see happen with the Colts. I didn't watch any games this year so can't speak to that. I think to completely ignore Pep's conservative run first tendencies is just as bad as being chicken little about it. I'm an air it out kind of guy but I realize opinions are like, well...

As for the Texans, Schaub may not have what it takes to be a big game QB (one could say the same about Peyton going back to his TN days...love PM, btw) but he has proven that he can play in the league at a high level. We can agree to disagree but I think their ceiling is more due to how they are built as a team, QB being one part of that. Saying its all on the QB is an over simplification. Edit: Kubiaks conservative tendencies are another reason for the ceiling...

I think this is beneficial... and honestly better than bringing in Tom Moore.

Moore is way too old to be the OC.

Pep has had experience as a offensive mind in the NFL and most people hear wanted us to be more like the Stanford offense. We already have 1/2 of the offense that Stanford had during Luck's senior year (Luck & Fleener). 

And Pep is used to using multiple TEs and more of a west coast offense. 

I think this move will help the team in the long run.

Mortreport just tweeted Pep Hamilton is the leading candidate to be the new OC.

I'd love to know who the other candidates are.  And personally, I'd prefer an offense closer to what Stanford ran.  A power running game to setup high percentage play action passes.  That's the kind of offense that can sustain drives, thus keeping the defensive players rested, and it's the kind of offense that can be highly effective on the road in the playoffs if we have to go into cold weather stadiums. 

Tom Clements would be a guy that I'd like, but I doubt he would switch over.

Mike Tice should be considered. The former head coach fits the bill, and called the plays in Chicago.

David Shaw should be considered. He's was important in Luck's college development, has led a team (a good one at that), and calls his own plays.

Hue Jackson would be a great choice. Fits well in our system, and has a lot of experience running offenses and even NFL teams.

Those are a few that pop into my head. There will be a lot more that will surface within the next few days in the news.

did the bears really ever have a good offense aside from running the ball???  Tice would be a mistake to bring in. i honestly would rather have charlie weis then Tice lol.

I think this is beneficial... and honestly better than bringing in Tom Moore.

Moore is way too old to be the OC.

Pep has had experience as a offensive mind in the NFL and most people hear wanted us to be more like the Stanford offense. We already have 1/2 of the offense that Stanford had during Luck's senior year (Luck & Fleener). 

And Pep is used to using multiple TEs and more of a west coast offense. 

I think this move will help the team in the long run.

Luck and fleener was half of stanfords offense??? where were the other 9 guys they were legally allowed to have on the field???

Mort is reporting he is the leading canadit. I think it's time we give the blue and white and colts name to Baltimore or Denver and rename ourselves the Indianapolis Cardinal not to be confused with Cardinals.

i dont like the stanford colors. should have brought in chip kelly lol. could have all kinds of colors lol.

If I may, the Stanford Guy would like to weigh in....

No serious Stanford fan thinks Pep is great play caller. The team went 12-2 this year based on our great defense, not our offense. And if you saw the Rose Bowl, you'd know what I'm speaking about. The first two drives were scripted in practice and we scored TD's both times.

The rest of the game, play calling from Pep..... we got 6 points. Two field goals. That's it.

He's not a very imaginative play caller. And if you saw Stanford's awful goal line stop against Notre Dame, you'd know that. First and goal from the 4.... Notre Dame's defensive strength is the front-7 and we ran at them four straight times. 4 runs between the tackles. We got to the one and that was it. Nothing outside. Nothing even off tackle. No play action. No bootleg. Four hand-offs to our running back from the 4 our closer and we didn't get in. Terrible play calling that still angers some Stanford fans.

Pep's a decent OC. But he's not a great one, yet. Maybe someday, but not now. And he's certainly not ready for the NFL game. He'd be in WAY over his head. He's a few years away. He needs more seasoning from Stanford.

Andrew needs an experienced NFL OC..... one with the teaching ability and patience of Arians, but a better, more QB friendly system and more creative play caller.

Just my opinion....

At this point there are no experienced NFL OCs that I would trust. Pep would be a good hire, IMO, especially considering the other options. (Or lack thereof)

Luck and fleener was half of stanfords offense??? where were the other 9 guys they were legally allowed to have on the field???

Sorry, I meant to say that about half of the producing offense is already on the team.

I know that Luck & Fleener isn't literally half the offense and they had other receivers and they have Stepfan Taylor running the ball. But whenever I saw Stanford, I saw Luck and Fleener.

One thing I really liked about Luck's final year, the one with Pep as OC, is that they let Andrew run a ton of no-huddle and call his own stuff. And he did very well. I think he might get that shot here, if Pep is the guy. It's one of Andrew's most promising areas.

I don't like it.  If taking a chance on Hamilton is the only option,  I would rather go with Clyde and continuity.  All this offense needs is an O-line upgrade and better situational play calling to be explosive.  If you go with an unproven commodity, who knows what you will get.