Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton hired as OC [Merge]

Horseshoe

Was discussing this with individuals close to the organization, and he is considered to be on Ryan's list.  He is probably my number 1 choice out of the individuals remaining and has worked with Luck before.  He will also run something like a WCO/Power Run game type offense, I think we need to go in this direction. He will maximize Lucks talents, and I think Luck is the perfect fit to run that type of offense.   What are your thoughts?  

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's capable of running almost any offense, especially the likes of which he ran in college. That being said the appropriate personnel is required, wouldn't want to see any him continue to run any offense with the OL we had.

However most importantly, they bring in a guy they think can fit the system and keep him here for years. I don't want to see OCs coming in and out year after year.

Joe Lombardi Colts OC 2013!!!!!

Well:

- He's never called plays on the Pro level.

- He wasn't even the choice for the interim for the interim coach.

- He's a quarterbacks coach for Drew Brees. Not exactly the hardest job. It's not like he's ever developed anybody.

- Too inexperienced, imo.

As for Pep Hamilton. Not a horrible choice, but getting somebody that has NFL play calling experience would be better, imo.

Well:

- He's a quarterbacks coach for Drew Brees. Not exactly the hardest job. It's not like he's ever developed anybody.

As for Pep Hamilton. Not a horrible choice, but getting somebody that has NFL play calling experience would be better, imo.

but who is available that we could trust with NFL Experience???

Clyde wouldn`t go anywhere on us and he and Andrew could figure it out together.

As we get experience, Andrew will be calling lots of audibles.

Not a big Cam fan! Nor Shumur.

Wonder if our O-Line coaches measure up.

Grigs & Coach P know, in them we trust. Although they did keep & play Olson! :(

Well:

Well:

-that is true, but he has been working with, and presumably learning from, Pete Carmichael and Sean Payton since 2009.  

-your second point is meaningless.  Carmichael remained the OC during all that time.  If something had happened to Carmichael, we have no idea who would have been Interim OC. 

-Bruce Arians was "just" the QB coach of Peyton Manning at one time

-I will give you the inexperienced point, but then again, Pagano was very inexperienced when he was hired as our HC as well.

I'm not saying Joe Lombardi is the answer, just pointing out that your arguments against him are incredibly poor.  If Pagano/Grigson don't like his personality, coaching style, etc or don't have faith that he could keep the offense successful, innovative and fresh then he should not be hired.  But none of the reasons you listed should be used as reasons not to hire, or at least consider, him. ;)

I wouldn't mind bringing Pep in.

The familiarity with Luck helps. Brings more of a west coast offense which suits us in some ways.

Although I am interested to see how the Arians rookies (Fleener, Allen, Ballard, Hilton, Brazil) far with a new coach who probably won't run the same system as last year.

If I may,  the Stanford Guy would like to weigh in....

No serious Stanford fan thinks Pep is great play caller.    The team went 12-2 this year based on our great defense, not our offense. And if you saw the Rose Bowl, you'd know what I'm speaking about.    The first two drives were scripted in practice and we scored TD's both times.

The rest of the game,  play calling from Pep.....   we got 6 points.   Two field goals.    That's it.  

He's not a very imaginative play caller.   And if you saw Stanford's awful goal line stop against Notre Dame, you'd know that.   First and goal from the 4....   Notre Dame's defensive strength is the front-7 and we ran at them four straight times.   4 runs between the tackles.   We got to the one and that was it.   Nothing outside.   Nothing even off tackle.    No play action.   No bootleg.   Four hand-offs to our running back from the 4 our closer and we didn't get in.     Terrible play calling that still angers some Stanford fans.

Pep's a decent OC.   But he's not a great one, yet.   Maybe someday,  but not now.   And he's certainly not ready for the NFL game.    He'd be in WAY over his head.    He's a few years away.   He needs more seasoning from Stanford.

Andrew needs an experienced NFL OC.....  one with the teaching ability and patience of Arians,  but a better, more QB friendly system and more creative play caller.

Just my opinion....

Hue Jackson would be a good one.

That would be going back to the Zone Blocking scheme which I think would benefit our O Line but how much it would be benefit I dont know just depends on there overall talent level, Many of our O Linemen were drafted or picked out by a team because they were a supposed fit in that kind of scheme

If I may,  the Stanford Guy would like to weigh in....

No serious Stanford fan thinks Pep is great play caller.    The team went 12-2 this year based on our great defense, not our offense. And if you saw the Rose Bowl, you'd know what I'm speaking about.    The first two drives were scripted in practice and we scored TD's both times.

The rest of the game,  play calling from Pep.....   we got 6 points.   Two field goals.    That's it.  

He's not a very imaginative play caller.   And if you saw Stanford's awful goal line stop against Notre Dame, you'd know that.   First and goal from the 4....   Notre Dame's defensive strength is the front-7 and we ran at them four straight times.   4 runs between the tackles.   We got to the one and that was it.   Nothing outside.   Nothing even off tackle.    No play action.   No bootleg.   Four hand-offs to our running back from the 4 our closer and we didn't get in.     Terrible play calling that still angers some Stanford fans.

Pep's a decent OC.   But he's not a great one, yet.   Maybe someday,  but not now.   And he's certainly not ready for the NFL game.    He'd be in WAY over his head.    He's a few years away.   He needs more seasoning from Stanford.

Andrew needs an experienced NFL OC.....  one with the teaching ability and patience of Arians,  but a better, more QB friendly system and more creative play caller.

Just my opinion....

A fantastic obversation, and I agree on every level.

Jason_S, that's another reason not to hire him. Consideration is something else, but definitely shouldn't be hired.

but who is available that we could trust with NFL Experience???

Tom Clements would be a guy that I'd like, but I doubt he would switch over.

Mike Tice should be considered. The former head coach fits the bill, and called the plays in Chicago.

David Shaw should be considered. He's was important in Luck's college development, has led a team (a good one at that), and calls his own plays.

Hue Jackson would be a great choice. Fits well in our system, and has a lot of experience running offenses and even NFL teams.

Those are a few that pop into my head. There will be a lot more that will surface within the next few days in the news.

Well:

-that is true, but he has been working with, and presumably learning from, Pete Carmichael and Sean Payton since 2009.  

-your second point is meaningless.  Carmichael remained the OC during all that time.  If something had happened to Carmichael, we have no idea who would have been Interim OC. 

-Bruce Arians was "just" the QB coach of Peyton Manning at one time

-I will give you the inexperienced point, but then again, Pagano was very inexperienced when he was hired as our HC as well.

I'm not saying Joe Lombardi is the answer, just pointing out that your arguments against him are incredibly poor.  If Pagano/Grigson don't like his personality, coaching style, etc or don't have faith that he could keep the offense successful, innovative and fresh then he should not be hired.  But none of the reasons you listed should be used as reasons not to hire, or at least consider, him. ;)

Bruce Arians was the QB coach of PM during Manning's early years, where Manning was just a young nobody. He was crucial in his development. Lombardi came in when Brees was at the top of his career setting records. VERY DIFFERENT.

At least Pagano ran his own defense, and had worked with some great coaches. He's learnt from the best. He's worked under a lot of great head coaches, and for a long time too. He was also proven, as his defense was one of the best in the league. I mean, Lombardi doesn't even run his own offense.

I think my reasons are good reasons for him not to be hired. Being considered is another story, but he doesn't match well against other or former OCs, who have my reasons over him. The reasons I stated are important for an OC.

Mike Tice should be considered. The former head coach fits the bill, and called the plays in Chicago.

David Shaw should be considered. He's was important in Luck's college development, has led a team (a good one at that), and calls his own plays.

Those are a few that pop into my head. There will be a lot more that will surface within the next few days in the news.

Finally someone else brings up Shaw, but most seem to think he would not leave a successful program that he is the HC of to come to the NFL to be a OC, I personally think there is a chance even if it is a small one. I'd love to get him though, also have to think that he is only 40  and I am certainly loving Pagano here hopefully for years to come but the idea did cross my mind that once Pagano decided to retire that Shaw (if he proves to do a good job as OC) could POTENTIALLY be HC......Just a thought. Personally I think it would be the perfect scenario but not likely to happen...But one could hope

Finally someone else brings up Shaw, but most seem to think he would not leave a successful program that he is the HC of to come to the NFL to be a OC, I personally think there is a chance even if it is a small one. I'd love to get him though, also have to think that he is only 40  and I am certainly loving Pagano here hopefully for years to come but the idea did cross my mind that once Pagano decided to retire that Shaw (if he proves to do a good job as OC) could POTENTIALLY be HC......Just a thought. Personally I think it would be the perfect scenario but not likely to happen...But one could hope

If there's one team he'd leave Stanford for, it's the Colts. 

If there's one team he'd leave Stanford for, it's the Colts. 

I don't know why you'd think that.    He signed a new long term deal right before the Rose Bowl, and publicly said he did so because he didn't want his name to be out there for Head Coaching jobs.    His career has zoomed way, way past being a pro OC.

He spent 9 years in the NFL already and is NOT a fan of the NFL life.

Stanford is his alma mater.   His father coached there twice.   He lives on campus.    His house is 10 minutes away from his office.   He can go home for lunch and see his young kids.    He's making good money.   He's got Stanford humming along.

He'd have zero interest in being an OC in the NFL.    Not even for Andrew Luck.    This is a non-starter.

I don't know who to suggest, because I prefer the WCO.   But Grigson/Pagano seem to want to stay closer to the Arians offense.  Hopefully, there's someone out there to run it well....    Sure hope so.....

Kirby Wilson is my dark horse guy.  He is the current Steelers Running Back Coach.  Rumor was last year he was going to be the guy to replace BA in Pittsburgh if he had not had been in a very bad house fire.

He would fit what the Colts said they are looking for which is someone to run BA's offense. 

That would be going back to the Zone Blocking scheme which I think would benefit our O Line but how much it would be benefit I dont know just depends on there overall talent level, Many of our O Linemen were drafted or picked out by a team because they were a supposed fit in that kind of scheme

Well if we ever need a new o line coach Gavin I hope they give you a call!

It's past 12:30a here on the West Coast...

Late buzz from Stanford....

A high possibility that Pep Hamilton will leave for a pro OC job...   but no one knows which one yet...   Colts considered to be among multiple opportunities...

People at Stanford think he's bound to be offered by some team and that he'll accept.  

Again,  I'm not saying it's the Colts...   only that it seems quite possible that Hamilton is leaving Stanford for the NFL....

I don't know why you'd think that.    He signed a new long term deal right before the Rose Bowl, and publicly said he did so because he didn't want his name to be out there for Head Coaching jobs.    His career has zoomed way, way past being a pro OC.

He spent 9 years in the NFL already and is NOT a fan of the NFL life.

Stanford is his alma mater.   His father coached there twice.   He lives on campus.    His house is 10 minutes away from his office.   He can go home for lunch and see his young kids.    He's making good money.   He's got Stanford humming along.

He'd have zero interest in being an OC in the NFL.    Not even for Andrew Luck.    This is a non-starter.

I don't know who to suggest, because I prefer the WCO.   But Grigson/Pagano seem to want to stay closer to the Arians offense.  Hopefully, there's someone out there to run it well....    Sure hope so.....

That's why I said, if he leaves for the NFL, IF, it would be for the Colts. DId I say he would leave? No. However, I think if there's one team I think Shaw would come to and appeals to him the most, it's the Colts because of Luck and the other couple of Stanford players.

Again, didn't say the NFL is better for him, I just said IF he does leave, Colts, imo, would be his favorite for those reasosn.

That's why I said, if he leaves for the NFL, IF, it would be for the Colts. DId I say he would leave? No. However, I think if there's one team I think Shaw would come to and appeals to him the most, it's the Colts because of Luck and the other couple of Stanford players.

Again, didn't say the NFL is better for him, I just said IF he does leave, Colts, imo, would be his favorite for those reasosn.

If he leaves Stanford to come to the NFL the favorite would be the team offering him a Head Coaching Job which the Colts are not. 

Coaches are generally not as married to their former players.  IE he's not going to want to coach Luck so bad he'll leave a Head Coaching job to take another job just to get that.  Coaches don't think that way.  They don't get excited over getting to coach players like some fans would.  If it worked out that he would get a chance to coach Luck that would just be an added bonus I doubt it would have a major impact on his decision one way or another. 

I know you aren't saying he will go to the NFL but frankly I this idea that some in this thread are putting out there that people are going to leave a job they have and like just because they get to coach Andrew Luck is a little out there.  If you ask a coach he's going to tell you about how Andrew Luck worked in his system not that his system worked because of Andrew Luck. 

A fantastic obversation, and I agree on every level.

Jason_S, that's another reason not to hire him. Consideration is something else, but definitely shouldn't be hired.

I disagree.  I'm not saying that he should be hired.  It's arrogant of any of us to say someone should or should not be hired.  

As for Arians and Manning, how can you possibly conclusively deduce that Arians was crucial in Peyton's development and it wasn't more Tom Moore or Peyton's natural abilities that allowed him to develop?  Again, I'm not saying Arians was not crucial in Peyton's development.  I am saying that there's no way for us to know one way or another and it's rather arrogant to suggest that we do. ;)

If he leaves Stanford to come to the NFL the favorite would be the team offering him a Head Coaching Job which the Colts are not. 

Coaches are generally not as married to their former players.  IE he's not going to want to coach Luck so bad he'll leave a Head Coaching job to take another job just to get that.  Coaches don't think that way.  They don't get excited over getting to coach players like some fans would.  If it worked out that he would get a chance to coach Luck that would just be an added bonus I doubt it would have a major impact on his decision one way or another. 

I know you aren't saying he will go to the NFL but frankly I this idea that some in this thread are putting out there that people are going to leave a job they have and like just because they get to coach Andrew Luck is a little out there.  If you ask a coach he's going to tell you about how Andrew Luck worked in his system not that his system worked because of Andrew Luck. 

Aww come on GoColts...don't you know that Andrew Luck is every coach's dream come true?  For example, here's no way Arians would ever leave Indy and the opportunity to continue to work with Luck.  Absolutely none.  And there's no way that one of Luck's past coaches wouldn't bend over backwards and plan the next 10 years of their life around what's best for Luck.  Heck, I bet if Luck could get any coach he wanted if he just made a call to Goodell and asked....Goodell would make it happen for Andrew.

Hue Jackson would be a great choice. Fits well in our system, and has a lot of experience running offenses and even NFL teams.

Mike Tice? Please tell me that was a joke