Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BA to CARDS WHO IS THE NEW OC

adfisher870

Well lets stick with what worked, lets steal another Pittsburgh OC, someone call Todd Haley!!!!

On a more random tangent, what do you guys think of Marty Schottenheimer? I know he is a little old school but he knows his stuff.

I'm all for toning the vertical routes down, but to go to the opposite side of the spectrum and go with a VERY conservative appproach is not something this team needs either. I'd like to see something thats centered between Kubiak's offense and Arians offense. Not heavy one way or the other but right in the middle.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

People want big names but that's probably not going to happen at this point. 

The big name that is going to jump out is Clyde Christensen as he has been an OC before and would fit what the Colts have said they wanted which is someone to keep the offense they are running in place.  With that said I think if Pagano was wanting Christensen as the OC he would have just left him in the role last year and never hired Arians in the first place. 

Another name to look out for on our staff might be David Walker.  Syracuse thought enough of him that his name was linked to their head coach opening.  Maybe the Colts look at him to run the offense.  He is our current running back's coach. 

I don't think you can look for the Colts to hire a guy like Tom Moore either.  I know he's popular for several reasons but he's also in his mid 70's.  Odds are if the Colts hired him they would be looking for a new OC in another year or two.  He also did not run an offense like Arians which the Colts have gone on the record as saying they wanted if Arians left. 

I think the later also rules out a guy like Cam Cameron.  We also aren't going to lure a major college football program's head coach away as has been suggested in other threads and we in all likely hood aren't going to get a current OC to make a lateral move either.  That also probably rules out people who run the west coast offense. 

A guy the might reach out to might be someone like Kirby Wilson who is the running back's coach for the Steelers and worked under Arians while he was there and the rumors were he was the guy who was supposed to take over for BA when he retired from the Steelers and some felt like he lost out on the job due to being burned in a house fire. 

I know he might not be a big name but he would make sense. 

Didn't Arians say that he will only leave if the "situatuon was perfect" and that he wouldn't leave just to leave?

Again just because we don't think the Cardinals looks like a good job doesn't mean it doesn't look good to BA.  I think he a saw young team that when it got decent QB play was able to beat teams like the Pats in New England.  I think he feels confident enough in his ability to coach up a young QB that he looks forward to doing that with this team and might look at that as the missing peace in Arizona.  

I wish him nothing but the best in any game that isn't against the Colts. 

Again just because we don't think the Cardinals looks like a good job doesn't mean it doesn't look good to BA.  I think he a saw young team that when it got decent QB play was able to beat teams like the Pats in New England.  I think he feels confident enough in his ability to coach up a young QB that he looks forward to doing that with this team and might look at that as the missing peace in Arizona.  

I think ANY head coaching job was going to look good to BA .... the "perfect fit" thing was all talk.

I think ANY head coaching job was going to look good to BA .... the "perfect fit" thing was all talk.

Perhaps but that would require us knowing all the facts with which he took the job, right now they are a O Line and a QB away from competing, I personally think Arians could pull it off but he could just as easily fail, either way it doesn't matter now

I think people just can't see themselves taking the Cardinals job so thus they think BA must have been lying. 

Again just because most of us don't the Cardinals job would have been a perfect fit to us doesn't mean it wasn't a perfect fit to BA.  For a guy who loves to work with young QBs he's going to get that in Arizona.  He also loves a big play offense and he's getting maybe the best big play WR in the game.  I am guessing he'll get to call the shots on offense as well which he wanted.  So it might very well be a perfect fit for BA.  Again, I think we need to concede our definition of a perfect fit is not the same as BA.  

The Bills beat the Pats in 2011. The Broncos beat them too in one of those years they started out strong then fizzled out again. (2008/2009)

I just am not going to use that game vs. the Pats as a true example, a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Heck we beat the Packers in 1997 right? Upsets happen.

Besides, NE is not as good early in the year. If they played them later on they would have massacred them.

I will eat crow if the Cardinals become relevant again in the next few years, for a whole season. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But, I can't lie either.....right now until proven otherwise the Cardinals are BAD and they do not have the "Andrew Luck draft card" we had last year going either.

He just wanted to be a head coach, period.

Perhaps but that would require us knowing all the facts with which he took the job, right now they are a O Line and a QB away from competing, I personally think Arians could pull it off but he could just as easily fail, either way it doesn't matter now

You say that as if those are the easiest areas to fix, while I would argue they are 2 of the hardest.  The QBs they have are nothing to write home about, so its role the dice in this underwhelming QB draft class or see if he can make it work with Alex Smith or FLynn.  Adding to their problems is their lack of cap space so they probably are not going to be able to overhaul the OL through FA.  I don't think Arizona is anywhere close to being competitive ... especially in that division.  You are right we do not know all the facts, but I find it hard to believe anyone would think Arizona is the "perfect fit".

You say that as if those are the easiest areas to fix, while I would argue they are 2 of the hardest.  The QBs they have are nothing to write home about, so its role the dice in this underwhelming QB draft class or see if he can make it work with Alex Smith or FLynn.  Adding to their problems is their lack of cap space so they probably are not going to be able to overhaul the OL through FA.  I don't think Arizona is anywhere close to being competitive ... especially in that division.  You are right we do not know all the facts, but I find it hard to believe anyone would think Arizona is the "perfect fit".

As it stands now its not the perfect fit if we ar elooking in only of terms of the roster but its up to him to see that he makes it fit now

The Bills beat the Pats in 2011. The Broncos beat them too in one of those years they started out strong then fizzled out again. (2008/2009)

I just am not going to use that game vs. the Pats as a true example, a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. Heck we beat the Packers in 1997 right? Upsets happen.

Besides, NE is not as good early in the year. If they played them later on they would have massacred them.

I will eat crow if the Cardinals become relevant again in the next few years, for a whole season. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But, I can't lie either.....right now until proven otherwise the Cardinals are BAD and they do not have the "Andrew Luck draft card" we had last year going either.

He just wanted to be a head coach, period.

Let's not kid ourselves the fact he wanted to be a Head Coach wasn't exactly a secret he made it known he wanted to be one which I think we need to remember here.  That probably means our definition of a perfect fit and his are different. 

I think he went into this looking at jobs and seeing can I make this work for me.  If he could then I think that might have been his definition of a perfect opening. 

Things we know about BA are that he likes to work with young QBs which he's going to get a chance to do in Arizona.  He likes big plays offense and he's getting maybe the best player in the NFL at that in Fitz.  He wants to control play calling and my guess is he's getting that in Arizona.  You add all that up and it might very well be a perfect fit to Arians and that's the key.  What is a perfect fit to him might very well not be a perfect fit to anyone else on this message board.  Just because it doesn't match our definitions doesn't mean he was dishonest with us or just throwing out words it just means he had a different definition.

Also the line between being bad and being good in the NFL is very small.  The Colts, Redskins, and Seahawks all went from being bad to being very good in one season.  The Saints and Lions both went from being good to being bad in one season.  I am not saying Arians will have that kind of luck in Arizona heck I don't even know if Arians will be able to make it work in Arizona but I can see why the job would appeal to him. 

Also, I know people are not high on this QB class coming out and neither am I but again we need to look at this like Arians is.  He, like any other coach, is going to be confident in his ability to do his job well and what he's been the best at doing over his career is coaching up young QBs.  Keep in mind he was able to get Kelly Holcomb to be good enough to get to the playoffs.  So I am sure he's confident that he can coach up just about any young QB if they have the kind of things he looks for in a QB. 

Glad that he got a job as a HC.  He deserved it.  This also means that we have the opportunity to get a better OC in here.  Isn't Cam Cameron looking for a job?  We weren't going to win in the playoffs with Arians' system unless we had a really good defense.  He ran a very risky offense, which meant big rewards, but if we didn't execute correctly our defense would have to save our butts.

I'm happy for the guy, we need to move on, especially because so many of us were complaining about his play calling - I was one of them.  Just hope we don't get an OC that makes Luck scramble.

All right, I am over it. I will stop trashing Arians at times for picking Arizona. Even though picking Arizona is almost like posing nude in your 70's.......it just does not work to me.

But, I wish him the best of luck since he is part of one of the most memorable seasons ever for us too and was a good leader.

Tom James ‏@TribStarTJames Grigson said that he had list of names in his desk. Look for someone who has ties to Chuck Pagano, Grigson.                   

Let's not kid ourselves the fact he wanted to be a Head Coach wasn't exactly a secret he made it known he wanted to be one which I think we need to remember here.  That probably means our definition of a perfect fit and his are different. 

I think he went into this looking at jobs and seeing can I make this work for me.  If he could then I think that might have been his definition of a perfect opening. 

Things we know about BA are that he likes to work with young QBs which he's going to get a chance to do in Arizona.  He likes big plays offense and he's getting maybe the best player in the NFL at that in Fitz.  He wants to control play calling and my guess is he's getting that in Arizona.  You add all that up and it might very well be a perfect fit to Arians and that's the key.  What is a perfect fit to him might very well not be a perfect fit to anyone else on this message board.  Just because it doesn't match our definitions doesn't mean he was dishonest with us or just throwing out words it just means he had a different definition.

Also the line between being bad and being good in the NFL is very small.  The Colts, Redskins, and Seahawks all went from being bad to being very good in one season.  The Saints and Lions both went from being good to being bad in one season.  I am not saying Arians will have that kind of luck in Arizona heck I don't even know if Arians will be able to make it work in Arizona but I can see why the job would appeal to him. 

Also, I know people are not high on this QB class coming out and neither am I but again we need to look at this like Arians is.  He, like any other coach, is going to be confident in his ability to do his job well and what he's been the best at doing over his career is coaching up young QBs.  Keep in mind he was able to get Kelly Holcomb to be good enough to get to the playoffs.  So I am sure he's confident that he can coach up just about any young QB if they have the kind of things he looks for in a QB. 

Those are valid points.

My problem is not so much with him leaving as I was never overly attached to BA as an OC; and questioned many of his decisions.

I think what is rubbing me the wrong way is that how things unfolded makes what he said at his "perfect fit" press conference feel very insincere and disingenuous.  I would have preferred and been less irritated if he just been straight about the fact that if he was offered a ANY head coaching position he would most likely be leaving.

I do not like how this "say one thing; do another" deception seems to be the accepted practice in coaching (Not just the NFL but in all sports).

OK .. Rant Over :rantoff:

Those are valid points.

My problem is not so much with him leaving as I was never overly attached to BA as an OC; and questioned many of his decisions.

I think what is rubbing me the wrong way is that how things unfolded makes what he said at his "perfect fit" press conference feel very insincere and disingenuous.  I would have preferred and been less irritated if he just been straight about the fact that if he was offered a ANY head coaching position he would most likely be leaving.

I do not like how this "say one thing; do another" deception seems to be the accepted practice in coaching (Not just the NFL but in all sports).

OK .. Rant Over :rantoff:

To you, again I think it all comes down to what you think and frankly what I think is a perfect fit is different from what Arians is thinking is a perfect fit. 

Was there some bravado to what he was saying?  Could very well be.  If he comes out and says I'll take any coaching job I can get then he loses all bargaining power he might have. 

At the end of the day I think he wanted to be a Head Coach but he had certain things he wanted and felt like if he could get those things he would take the job.  I think he sees those things with the Cardinals.  Had he not found a job with those things I don't think he would have taken it.  IE if a team said no you have to run this offense or you have to let someone else call these plays or said we want to be a ground and pound defensive team.  I think a perfect fit to BA was a job where he got pick his own staff completely, control the offense, and work with a young QB to have a big play offense.  All those things are there in Arizona for him thus it's a perfect fit to him. 

I know that might not be what most of us would think of as a perfect fit but frankly what we think is a perfect fit doesn't matter and just because what is a perfect fit to Arians doesn't fit our definition doesn't mean Arians wasn't being honest.  It just means he has a different definition. 

I don't want to bring in the old guard to fill OC. Clyde Chritensen is a predictable and safe play caller and I don't want Tom Moore to turn Luck into Peyton 1.2

Not sure what you mean by Peyton 1.2 but I certainly would not dislike the idea of another Peyton like QB but with legs

Please not CC ... I didn't see anything in that Ravens game that showed me he should be OC.  There are several people still available I think that I would consider before CC.

He called the most sensible game of the season, in my opinion. Not his fault the receivers couldn't catch anything

They want to keep Arians' system.  It will be Clyde, I'm sure. 

I think it will be clyde also. I wouldnt minde seeing Tom Moore brought in as a "consultant" or whatever you want to call it. I think the important thing is for some continuity. Clyde worked under Arians this year and Tom Moore for many years. I know there are people out there that aren't clyde fans but I think he's the logical choice here.

My problem with Chan was he continually failed to give his best player the ball.

That seems to be a league-wide trend. Everyone is pass-happy right now. To Gailey's credit, he did utilize Spiller in a number of ways. The guy is every bit the receiver that he is a back. I like Gailey's approach to offense because he often reinvents his system to fit the personnel. That's what we need right now. Not another egomaniac (ala Martz/Arians) who thinks their system is infallible and doesn't need to be tweaked. 

That seems to be a league-wide trend. Everyone is pass-happy right now. To Gailey's credit, he did utilize Spiller in a number of ways. The guy is every bit the receiver that he is a back. I like Gailey's approach to offense because he often reinvents his system to fit the personnel. That's what we need right now. Not another egomaniac (ala Martz/Arians) who thinks their system is infallible and doesn't need to be tweaked. 

I am 100% behind this.

No one agrees withe me, but I really like Cam Cameron.

People want big names but that's probably not going to happen at this point. 

The big name that is going to jump out is Clyde Christensen as he has been an OC before and would fit what the Colts have said they wanted which is someone to keep the offense they are running in place.  With that said I think if Pagano was wanting Christensen as the OC he would have just left him in the role last year and never hired Arians in the first place. 

Another name to look out for on our staff might be David Walker.  Syracuse thought enough of him that his name was linked to their head coach opening.  Maybe the Colts look at him to run the offense.  He is our current running back's coach. 

I don't think you can look for the Colts to hire a guy like Tom Moore either.  I know he's popular for several reasons but he's also in his mid 70's.  Odds are if the Colts hired him they would be looking for a new OC in another year or two.  He also did not run an offense like Arians which the Colts have gone on the record as saying they wanted if Arians left. 

I think the later also rules out a guy like Cam Cameron.  We also aren't going to lure a major college football program's head coach away as has been suggested in other threads and we in all likely hood aren't going to get a current OC to make a lateral move either.  That also probably rules out people who run the west coast offense. 

A guy the might reach out to might be someone like Kirby Wilson who is the running back's coach for the Steelers and worked under Arians while he was there and the rumors were he was the guy who was supposed to take over for BA when he retired from the Steelers and some felt like he lost out on the job due to being burned in a house fire. 

I know he might not be a big name but he would make sense.

Lets look at the big picture people.  I believe whoever the front office picks as the OC, the concern should be on the maturing of Luck and the offense.  With that being said the OC that comes in should keep some of Coach Arians plays because that was Lucks first system.  I dont believe the new OC should make sweeping changes because the team showed signs of gelling last season.  

Cam has been bashed (even more so) for the very reasons you cited as not wanting Gailey. Just look at Rice's carry totals from this season when Cam was OC

I believe that was a direct correlation of Joe Flaccos upcoming contract, its my thought the Ravens said essentially, "Hey, lets see what hes got before we lock him up long term' although the #s dont ness bare that out...But as for Rice, the guy has had 336/370/367 and this year 318 touches. Thats a ton for a guy listed at 5-9, at some point, someone is going to help carry the load, and that guy this year was Bernard Pierce who had a pretty solid year, over 100touches and a better avg than Rice......This year they had 444 rush att....last year, 459,487,468....So they stayed right in line with the average amount of rushing att...

As for Cam, his offenses have done pretty well. (From 02-06 in SD Points rank)....20th, 16th, 3rd, 5th, 1st..In Balt....11th, 9th, 16th, 12th, 10th.......

So he basically avgs 10th in Points through his career. This year the Colts were 18th...

Well, there are only 32 of these kind of jobs in the whole world. I can't blame him. I think he knows that 12 will be fine without him, heck probably even better depending which OC the Colts land.

Well, if you read this forum, there are about 200 of these jobs on the go......

Just sayin'....

Only one choice. Mr Peyton W. Manning. He's been the OC for many years here, and he is getting too fragile to be running around a field with big guys breathing down his horse collar. The dream team together, and the Forum back united as one big happy family.

Those in favour, say "aye".......

I fully trust Irsay, Grigson and Pagano to make the right choice.  I'm sure they've been preparing for this and it came as no surprise to them the Arians got a head coaching position.  Good luck to B.A. in Arizona. 

As much as I credit Arians for a good season, in the long run, I think this may be good for Luck. Arians offense had a lot in common with Mike Martz's. Down field development of plays takes time and gets the QB hit a lot. I know the O-line was suspect but look at the hits Big Ben took in Pittsburgh. I actually think Luck would be a better WC offense QB. Smart and still able to pick his shots down field. The one OC I see on the list that might materialize in Marty M. Ties in with Grigson and his Philly ties...we'll see.

I wish Bruce Arians good luck. He did a nice job filling in for Pagano.

But I think the Colts will do just fine moving forward.

I thought Clyde called a decent game for us in the playoffs. Just as good as Bruce would have done.

Also, I dont know how much Arians had to do with it, but I feel Andrew Luck should have been told (or taught) to call more audibles.

This past season he needed to make more pre snap adjustments, and I didnt see that happen all year with Arians.

Only one choice. Mr Peyton W. Manning. He's been the OC for many years here, and he is getting too fragile to be running around a field with big guys breathing down his horse collar. The dream team together, and the Forum back united as one big happy family.

Those in favour, say "aye".......

Aye,

Though I can't see it happening I'm afraid, even long term. Though I do think Peyton will try and get into coaching afterwards.