Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Fox says he'd make the same calls again

oldunclemark

Fox Explains Coaching Calls in Divisional Loss

Posted Jan 14, 2013

By Stuart Zaas

Head Coach John Fox talked about the decisions he made late in Denver’s Divisional-Round loss to Baltimore.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Following Saturday’s heartbreaking, double-overtime loss to Baltimore, it was easy for fans to second guess some of the decisions late in the contest.

After Baltimore scored on a 70-yard heave that tied the game late in regulation, Denver’s offense came back on the field with 31 seconds left on the clock and the ball on its 20-yard line.

Quarterback Peyton Manning took a knee to send the game into overtime.

“When you’re a coach, you’re around the players for 20 games prior to that including preseason, you get a little bit of a better feel of where they’re at – the look in the eye, their feeling,” Head Coach John Fox said. “It was pretty devastating. It just didn’t seem the right time. It didn’t look like the right look, understandably, to go for the jugular right about then.”

Fox said the shock that the fans in the stadium felt when they went from expecting a berth in the AFC title game to the despair of giving up a last-second touchdown was shared by the players.

For that reason, he felt that the risk outweighed the reward of attempting an 80-yard drive in 31 seconds when the Broncos still had a chance to win the game in overtime.

“With 41 seconds left in regulation we watched a 70-yard bomb go over our head,” Fox explained. “There is a certain amount of shock value, a little bit like a prize fighter takes a right cross on the chin at the end of a round. We’re looking to get out of the round. That might not be the ideal time to go for a knockout punch.”

In Sunday’s NFC Divisional Round game, Atlanta drove 41 yards in 23 seconds to set up Matt Bryant’s 49-yard game-winning field goal.

Many fans point to that outcome as evidence suggesting the Broncos should have gone with a more aggressive strategy with a similar amount of time and distance in front of them.

However, as Fox pointed out, the fact that the Falcons were trailing made that scenario very different from the one the Broncos faced in a tie game.

“I’d do it again 10 times if it presented itself 10 times in that situation,” Fox said. “It’s not close to the (Falcons’) situation because (they’re) going to lose the game if (they) don’t score. Ours is completely different, because we get to fight the next round. Obviously, it didn’t get executed like we planned. But that’s on the coaches and players to execute better, and we didn’t get it done.”

Another decision that is being criticized was the call to run the ball on third-and-7 following the two-minute warning. Ronnie Hillman was stopped for no gain on the play, but since Baltimore was out of timeouts, 51 seconds elapsed before the Ravens started the ensuing drive.

Brian Burke of Advanced NFL Stats calculated that teams trailing by seven with 1:09 to play have a 13 percent chance of scoring a touchdown. Had the Broncos thrown an incomplete pass in an attempt to get the first down and stopped the clock, the Ravens chances of scoring would double to 26 percent.

“I’d do that again,” Fox said when asked about the play call. “If I knew they were going to get a 70-yard touchdown, I might have gone for it on third-and-7, but you know what they say about hindsight. The situation was, we were running the clock, make them use their timeouts, punt it away, they get the ball with 1:09 and they have to go 77 yards in 1:09. To make matters worse, we had them with :41 seconds and 70 (yards) to go.

"If you give a coach or player that opportunity, 10-out-of-10 times to win a divisional-round playoff game, they would take it.”

The poor coach and Manning surely looked want to play it safe and move onto the championship game with as little drama as possible. So when things went out of their way they were completely flat and had no idea what to do next. Don't know who the leadership of the team went to, but in OT they didn't look want to win either. It only looked like they wanted to end it and go home.

I would have fired Fox over this, Ravens fired their OC a few weeks ago for basically the same thing. 31 seconds and 2 time outs and just needed a field goal? No problem, could get 4-6 plays off in that time. The comment about a prize figther and next round really bothered me...the bell had not rung yet, there was no need to get out of the round or if this was a boxing match the prize figther would have had to get back off the mat and fight his way out of the round.

Posted Jan 14, 2013

By Stuart Zaas

Head Coach John Fox talked about the decisions he made late in Denver’s Divisional-Round loss to Baltimore.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Following Saturday’s heartbreaking, double-overtime loss to Baltimore, it was easy for fans to second guess some of the decisions late in the contest.

After Baltimore scored on a 70-yard heave that tied the game late in regulation, Denver’s offense came back on the field with 31 seconds left on the clock and the ball on its 20-yard line.

“When you’re a coach, you’re around the players for 20 games prior to that including preseason, you get a little bit of a better feel of where they’re at – the look in the eye, their feeling,” Head Coach John Fox said. “It was pretty devastating. It just didn’t seem the right time. It didn’t look like the right look, understandably, to go for the jugular right about then.”

Fox said the shock that the fans in the stadium felt when they went from expecting a berth in the AFC title game to the despair of giving up a last-second touchdown was shared by the players.

For that reason, he felt that the risk outweighed the reward of attempting an 80-yard drive in 31 seconds when the Broncos still had a chance to win the game in overtime.

“With 41 seconds left in regulation we watched a 70-yard bomb go over our head,” Fox explained. “There is a certain amount of shock value, a little bit like a prize fighter takes a right cross on the chin at the end of a round. We’re looking to get out of the round. That might not be the ideal time to go for a knockout punch.”

In Sunday’s NFC Divisional Round game, Atlanta drove 41 yards in 23 seconds to set up Matt Bryant’s 49-yard game-winning field goal.

Many fans point to that outcome as evidence suggesting the Broncos should have gone with a more aggressive strategy with a similar amount of time and distance in front of them.

However, as Fox pointed out, the fact that the Falcons were trailing made that scenario very different from the one the Broncos faced in a tie game.

“I’d do it again 10 times if it presented itself 10 times in that situation,” Fox said. “It’s not close to the (Falcons’) situation because (they’re) going to lose the game if (they) don’t score. Ours is completely different, because we get to fight the next round. Obviously, it didn’t get executed like we planned. But that’s on the coaches and players to execute better, and we didn’t get it done.”

Another decision that is being criticized was the call to run the ball on third-and-7 following the two-minute warning. Ronnie Hillman was stopped for no gain on the play, but since Baltimore was out of timeouts, 51 seconds elapsed before the Ravens started the ensuing drive.

Brian Burke of Advanced NFL Stats calculated that teams trailing by seven with 1:09 to play have a 13 percent chance of scoring a touchdown. Had the Broncos thrown an incomplete pass in an attempt to get the first down and stopped the clock, the Ravens chances of scoring would double to 26 percent.

“I’d do that again,” Fox said when asked about the play call. “If I knew they were going to get a 70-yard touchdown, I might have gone for it on third-and-7, but you know what they say about hindsight. The situation was, we were running the clock, make them use their timeouts, punt it away, they get the ball with 1:09 and they have to go 77 yards in 1:09. To make matters worse, we had them with :41 seconds and 70 (yards) to go.

"If you give a coach or player that opportunity, 10-out-of-10 times to win a divisional-round playoff game, they would take it.”

Immediately after the game Fox said his players after the tying td were in shock, not the fans,  he said he wanted time to regroup, ,, article and link in another thread somewhere I posted , man i would want back in and shock right back the Ravens 

it was a much smaller article , thats basicaly all he had said , the article u reference came out later , i know as I saw it posted on same site I read the first one the next day

Didnt he prepare them for a full 60 minute game where anything can happen, its playoff football , ui go in and get a fg u win, u play ot & get a fg if u win the coin toss they can still beat u with anopther deep ball, its not like u learned it was only 3 of them fopr scores, 4 if Flacco didnt overthrow a wide open smith oner time

a   short 3 line PS Follow's

Posted Jan 14, 2013

By Stuart Zaas

PS did he know those stats at the time no, 

& most of all between the time of the TD and getting the ball, Fox thus had no ability to inspire his team is basically what he was saying, maybe he was too in schock

The poor coach and Manning surely looked want to play it safe and move onto the championship game with as little drama as possible. So when things went out of their way they were completely flat and had no idea what to do next. Don't know who the leadership of the team went to, but in OT they didn't look want to win either. It only looked like they wanted to end it and go home.

a lot of things look like a lot of things when they dont work. remember...

If Manning doenst underthrow the ball, the pass that was intercepted gets to Stokley there no safety one immediately behind him...I think Ed Reed was closing on the tight end

Now, Stokley's slower than dirt so he wasnt going to score..but he'd have been across midfield and the Bronocs probably get a long field goal out of it......It was 2nd down...He could have and should have throw it away..

I think they were trying to win, is what I'm saying

I keep coming back to this part:

I read that and hear, "They scored on a desperation bomb. We are not a mentally tough team." Maybe the Broncos got a little too used to winning when they rolled off 11 straight. But if I'm Bowlen these comments made by my head coach make me cringe.

Sorry but this game is on Fox.

You have Peyton Manning on 3rd and 7 and you run the ball? Let your just-burned defense stop them? Let Woodson get torched again?

You don't let this game go another quarter. You go for it on 3rd and 7.

Yea sure, in the 6th Quarter Manning made a bad decision and that was definitely on him. But there shouldn't have been a 6th Quarter.

Sorry but this game is on Fox.

You have Peyton Manning on 3rd and 7 and you run the ball? Let your just-burned defense stop them? Let Woodson get torched again?

You don't let this game go another quarter. You go for it on 3rd and 7.

Yea sure, in the 6th Quarter Manning made a bad decision and that was definitely on him. But there shouldn't have been a 6th Quarter.

Manning's completion % was low in the second half and he was obviously not comfortable with Hillman's pass protection, and he already tossed and INT and lost a fumble. Take 40 secs off the clock and punt was a decision giving them a 97%+ chance (per computer they said) for winning, and almost ZERO NFL team could give up the TD like they did.

Anyway I don't doubt that decision but they need to put the right personnel and formation and make the right plays after making the decision. The receivers could be used to stop the possible hail mary as well if not enough DBs were available. The situation was very easy to understand but they blew it, showing the team was not at all prepared mentally.

I read that and hear, "They scored on a desperation bomb. We are not a mentally tough team." Maybe the Broncos got a little too used to winning when they rolled off 11 straight. But if I'm Bowlen these comments made by my head coach make me cringe.

The key was they were not mentally prepared. They never anticipated the game to be that close.

as I already said the struck on that same type of play before and Smith was easily open for another but was overthrown

FOX SHOULD OF EXPLAINED THAT POSSIBILITY TO THE D

werent prepared in his eyes if read them right for a full 60 minutes and all possibilities

also he also felt then that he was incapable of inspiring the team between the what happened , the kickoff and getting on the field

Of just tried 1  pass for a completion would of fully instilled confidence back, if missed badly and played badly on that 1 play then he could of rationalized this wasn't going to work but i gave it a shot

==================

No mater what Peytons arm may have been like, on 3rd & 7 , when Elway had a chance to ice it he did

showing such lack of faith , well what u want to expect

He didnt have those computer #'s with him on sidelines to tell hiim what to do, 

anyway it is what it is