Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Dustin

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, those are your choices.  This is not a small story.   At the end of the year,  this will easily be one of the top-10 sports stories of the year.   Any list would be incomplete without it.    

I read your entire post. Well done, sir.

However, this is not a sports story.....just another soap opera that will move ACTUAL sports stories off the front page to make room for what is essentially a live-action soap opera. This was no more of a sports story than the KC player that murdered his girlfriend was a sports story................... If that was a sports story, may I assert that the score is tied at 1-1....?

Sensationalism isn't news....it's entertainment. This story has all the soap opera qualities of a Lifetime Channel movie.

I read your entire post. Well done, sir.

However, this is not a sports story.....just another soap opera that will move ACTUAL sports stories off the front page to make room for what is essentially a live-action soap opera. This was no more of a sports story than the KC player that murdered his girlfriend was a sports story................... If that was a sports story, may I assert that the score is tied at 1-1....?

Sensationalism isn't news....it's entertainment. This story has all the soap opera qualities of a Lifetime Channel movie.

Jerry Springer could probably work with this material too.

He's not gay, he's e-straight.

You've given me a fantastic idea. I'm going to start an internet dating service for people whom don't exist. 

Here is a pic of my cool girlfriend;

o-CINDY-CRAWFORD-PICTURES-570.jpg?7

Sadly, she passed away 2 days ago after a tragic dog sledding accident. I am now accepting donations to help pay for her funeral.

You've given me a fantastic idea. I'm going to start an internet dating service for people whom don't exist. 

Sadly, she passed away 2 days ago after a tragic dog sledding accident. I am now accepting donations to help pay for her funeral.

This is truly disturbing. I sincerely hope that no dogs were injured.

I will be happy to make a donation. Just give me your full name, bank account number, date of birth, ss#,  and mother's maiden name and I'll get right on it.

This is truly disturbing. I sincerely hope that no dogs were injured.

I will be happy to make a donation. Just give me your full name, bank account number, date of birth, ss#,  and mother's maiden name and I'll get right on it.

Hey bud!!!! 

There is only room enough for one scam artist here in this thread. Go set your grift elsewheres. 

WOW! about the new reports coming out.  If it is true, I wonder if he did not think this would get this far? I think his lies caught up to him and now is spinning out of control. But how can anyone lie about this? Even lie about someone dying of cancer? If his football career does not pan out. He can be a writer for fiction books. Because he was very believable. I guess I will never understand if you have everything going for you. Why would you lie? Why would you damage you're image and could ruin you;re dreams. The more reports it comes it comes out the more bizarre it gets. Even heard on Fox radio, that Manti told ND that he knew about the hoax on December 6th which we already knew. But I guess he told the AP that he found about it on December 8th when the AP went back to their interview records back in December.

Well everything today makes it sounds like he was really tricked, but that he went along with it and played it up because he liked the attention from it. Even his teammates knew he was full of it. I think him blowing off that interview today was pretty telling. They gotta go back and cover there tracks before people start questioning him on comments he made.

That * is going to have to carry a complete "timeline" with him to his announcement.  

Just amazing...   

A stud football player has to get an online GF?   at Notre Dame?   

Mercy?

Well everything today makes it sounds like he was really tricked, but that he went along with it and played it up because he liked the attention from it. Even his teammates knew he was full of it. I think him blowing off that interview today was pretty telling. They gotta go back and cover there tracks before people start questioning him on comments he made.

I really don't care about this story.  It's strange sure but athletes have done far worse things and gotten much less coverage for doing so. 

Frankly I think if the media wasn't caught with egg on their face for not checking their sources in the first place this story wouldn't be nearly the story it is. 

ND did due diligence and hired a P.I.  They'll protect the Gold Dome first, and their player second.  That they have done #2 tells me that this elaborate scheme maybe did start as a long distance GF relationship, and he was 'Catfished'.  But when he got a suspicion that he might be being duped, he embellishes the story rather than bail, and admit he was caught in an embarrasing con.  He went through too many years, and too many impassioned interviews for me to believe he orchestrated this and was just trying to get even more attention than a 'face of the University' LB at ND already gets!

Just bizarre all the way around.

I know the rest of the universe won't agree (even me), but If I were Manti, I just hush up form here out.  He committed no crime, and really doesn't owe anybody any further explanation at this point.  By the time the combine rolls around, life will have provided many other stories for journalists/folks to vulture-ize... and he can go about his business starting his NFL career.

ND did due diligence and hired a P.I.  They'll protect the Gold Dome first, and their player second.  That they have done #2 tells me that this elaborate scheme maybe did start as a long distance GF relationship, and he was 'Catfished'.  But when he got a suspicion that he might be being duped, he embellishes the story rather than bail, and admit he was caught in an embarrasing con.  He went through too many years, and too many impassioned interviews for me to believe he orchestrated this and was just trying to get even more attention than a 'face of the University' LB at ND already gets!

Other ND players said they knew she was fake. Unless they were in on the Con, which I doubt, then he's surely lying.

it was reported that Manti got a call in december from "Lenays" number saying it was a hoax, maybe its just me not understanding catfishing enough but is that what they person doing the hoax does? calls the person and says, it was all a hoax? that just doesnt sound right to me that this person would just call him up one day and admit to all this

Other ND players said they knew she was fake. Unless they were in on the Con, which I doubt, then he's surely lying.

I think in the beginning, he was caught hook/line/and sinker.  His faith allows no premarital relations, so a LD GF is a perfect fit. Later, he got suspicious but instead of bailing and opening himself up to the embarrassment that he was duped, he 'embellished the story and provided the parts the other party was no longer supplying.  It was then the other ND players was able to suspect this as well.

Now, i'd like to see the P.I. report ND had performed for them that allowed Swarbrick to 'lay it on the line' in support of a player that has finished his tenure at the school.  He must be confident that this wont totally blow up in his face at some later point.

On the 1st bolded part, That is categorically untrue, there have been several gay athlete's that have came out since they retired and said if they would have came out when they were still playing that they would have been shunned. This is especially true for a mormon playing at a catholic school. 

On the second bolded part. The 1st choice is much more likely. Not to mention that you keep ignoring the fact that he said that he had met her and vacationed with her multiple times. Im not going to go into all the other inconsistencies in his story, but there are many and none of them are believable. 

What you say is true, but there is a lot of truth on the other side of the argument.  Lot's of holes. Somewhere in between lies the true, very tangled, truth. I feel.  I'd love to see the P.I. report  Notre Dame had performed for them...

Not doubting you at all, but you happen to have a link?  The Holtzman piece on ESPN says unnamed players knew the relationship wasn't as deep or significant as Te'o allowed to be reported.  That Te'o loved the attention, allowed the story to continue.  But I haven't found any article that says players, or anyone else close to Te'o knew that the girl didn't exist, was a fabrication.

Not doubting you at all, but you happen to have a link?  The Holtzman piece on ESPN says unnamed players knew the relationship wasn't as deep or significant as Te'o allowed to be reported.  That Te'o loved the attention, allowed the story to continue.  But I haven't found any article that says players, or anyone else close to Te'o knew that the girl didn't exist, was a fabrication.

I was going off of what PrincetonTiger said above. I did some research and I couldn't find a source either. Not sure where he heard it from.

Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt, but the Teousposos (sp?) angle coming out right now just screams "cover up" to me. Teo at the very least knew that he had been the victim of a hoax and kept going along with it after the fact. Like Balzer said just a few posts up, the vacation comments are essentially impossible to explain in any way, shape, or form without it coming back to the fact Teo was lying about it to his parents or that his parents were in on it.

Its a shame she had to go, Ruk...Damn Dogs! Where can I send the check.?

ESPN is reporting the Touosopo guy called a friend in early December crying and saying he set manti up without his knowledge.. Another twist ina bizarre story

Jvan..

..and the scammers texted Teo's parents after his grandma died to send 'condolences'

..and he brother talked to his parenst fro two hours so they could help him get over the 'loss' of Teo's 'girklfriend'

These cons are more indetph than many realize..

Check out today's USA-Today...

Anybody can be conned....and if you think you are to smart, that only makes you a better target

Jvan..

..and the scammers texted Teo's parents after his grandma died to send 'condolences'

..and her 'brother' called and talked to his parents for two hours after she 'died' so they could help him get over the 'loss' of Teo's 'girlfriend'

These cons are more in detph than many realize..

Check out today's USA-Today...Friday..Jan. 18

Anybody can be conned....and if you think you are to smart to be fooled, that only makes you a better target

ESPN is reporting the Touosopo guy called a friend in early December crying and saying he set manti up without his knowledge.. Another twist ina bizarre story

they are also saying he did this to a number of ppl and over many years, it just doesnt add up to me that after doing this to a bunch of ppl over years and he would just go to someone crying about it all of a sudden feeling bad about it

Jvan..

..and he brother talked to his parenst fro two hours so they could help him get over the 'loss' of Teo's 'girklfriend'

These cons are more indetph than many realize..

Check out today's USA-Today...

Anybody can be conned....and if you think you are to smart, that only makes you a better target

Okay. And did the scammers force Teo to tell his parents that he had gone to Hawaii and met his imaginary girlfriend there? I guess the normal reaction when you get to Hawaii and find no one there waiting for you is to just go home and tell your parents that you did in fact meet when you did not? Just doesn't make any sense. No rational human being would react that way. The whole thing is a fabrication. Maybe Teo initially was duped. But then he began to play along with it and became one of the conmen himself.