Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Dustin

It's a sad and desperate story, no worse. The KC Linebacker shooting his girlfriend 9 times after being caught playing around, and leaving a small child orphaned is disturbing. Perspective please sir. 

Sorry....

I spoke poorly....    didn't mean to suggest that Manti's story is somehow worse than Belcher's story.   It's not.

But, one was a flash incident.   A guy got mad (and drunk) and kills his girlfriend and kills himself in front of coaches/gm...  much worse and more important story.

But this story....   has been in the works for years...   this is not a flash incident.   Manti and his family have been talking about this girl for years.   Now, this made-up person is dead...   until, Manti claims,  she called him in late December....   and now he's claiming to be the victim of the hoax that most people seem to think he's the one who has been perpetrating...

And he does so as the most popular and talented player on the most famous team in college football coming off their best season in over 20 years.   Gene Wojihowski (sp?) the senior writer for ESPN.com and who interviewed Teo shortly after the death of his grandmother and supposed girlfriend calls it the most bizarre story he's seen in 30 years as a journalist.

So,  in it's size and scope,  I think this is an incredibly bizarre story....

Agree or disagree, I hope that clarifies my comment.....

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry....

I spoke poorly....    didn't mean to suggest that Manti's story is somehow worse than Belcher's story.   It's not.

But, one was a flash incident.   A guy got mad (and drunk) and kills his girlfriend and kills himself in front of coaches/gm...  much worse and more important story.

But this story....   has been in the works for years...   this is not a flash incident.   Manti and his family have been talking about this girl for years.   Now, this made-up person is dead...   until, Manti claims,  she called him in late December....   and now he's claiming to be the victim of the hoax that most people seem to think he's the one who has been perpetrating...

And he does so as the most popular and talented player on the most famous team in college football coming off their best season in over 20 years.   Gene Wojihowski (sp?) the senior writer for ESPN.com and who interviewed Teo shortly after the death of his grandmother and supposed girlfriend calls it the most bizarre story he's seen in 30 years as a journalist.

So,  in it's size and scope,  I think this is an incredibly bizarre story....

Agree or disagree, I hope that clarifies my comment.....

And sorry too NCF, didn't mean to come across all antsy-pantsy. I fully agree, and 'bizzare' is probably a very good description! Clarity confirmed!

And if he was involved in the hoax, and his stock drops, I hope Grigson drafts him, with some conditions around councelling etc.

This is just absolutely bizarre.

All I know in this cesspool of a story is that if he indeed took part in some grand illusion about someone dying from...of all things, leukemia....he would be absolutely unwelcome in Indianapolis.

The young are easily led. If it was his idea however, I agree.....

Te'o was the most overrated player this season. He didn't look so hot against my boys in the big dance. You seen exactly what Notre Dame was, OVERRATED. I'll be honest; Oregon probably would have beat us in that game....but they wanted Notre Dame, they got 'em and you seen exactly what happened. Te'o couldn't tackle anybody, and we ran it down their throats. McCarron looked like god out there, with all day to throw.

Manti was not launching some media blitz to highlight his inspired efforts to play for the memory of a dead girl. He was not pandering to this cause like a shyster, setting up victims. 

It was the MEDIA whom chose to make a serial drama out of this relatively benign back-story. It was the media whom was fooled by their own rush to air a sad story. Perhaps before airing a segment on the inspiring story of a Notre Dame football player struggling his way through strife, maybe, MAYBE they should've done a little background check into whether or not this girl actually existed at all? 

When the media gets fooled, they scramble to deflect blame to everyone else. Now they wanna do a story about this big meat-head football jock whom fooled the world.....when it was them whom aired the story on national television and printed it in nationally syndicated papers. 

Ruksak....     My apologies in advance,  this is going to be a longer response than I'd like...  I'm going to try and address your concerns...

First, I won't waste a minute of your time defending the style of the story....   You didn't like it.   Fine.    Others did.    Difference of opinion.

That's said, allow me to preface my comments by saying I'm no media apologist.   I'm not in the game anymore and I don't like the business as it's run these days....   I bash the media regularly on my Stanford website that I'm on far more than I visit here....

But,  there was no "rush to tell a sad story"   You tell the story as it unfolds.   This played out over weeks and months.   And calling it a benign back-story misses the mark completely.   I also don't buy the "media is deflecting blame..."    Sorry, the blame goes to Manti and his family for perpetrating a fraud.  (or, to the people who pulled the wool over Manti's eyes if you believe his story)   And Manti did so as the captain of the most stories football program in America.    That position alone gives him credibility.

The deaths occurred in late September.   ESPN had a ND game a week or two later.   ESPN.com senior writer,  Gene Wojohowski (sp?) did an interview with Manti in the week leading up to the game.   Last night, Wojo explained that he asked Manti for a picture of her and asked for permission to speak to her family.   Manti said the family didn't want to do either and wanted to be left alone.   Wojo said he did a Google search looking for signs of the accident she was reportedly in, or an obituary that might say something about the girl and when he found neither, he chalked it up to the family being very private.

The reporter tried to verify certain things,  but the fraud was the fraud.   Things may seem obvious now in hindsight,  but if someone had floated this idea a month or two ago, they would've been laughed off this website.   Teo had credibility.   The reporter tried and was rebuffed.    That's as far as it went.

Just FYI....  all major media outlets have been completely gutted in the last 5 years.  (ESPN is the one exception. They made a good faith effort, IMO.)   There are literally hundreds of journalists in Southern California -- like me -- who are no longer in their chosen profession.   The economic implosion of 2008 did that.   Nationwide, there are thousands of journalists out of the business now.    There is no man power to try and track down a story like this.     Which is why it fell to an on-line website.   They can focus on one story....   a giant story even if you think otherwise.   But this story is huge and won't go away quickly.   

Manti is either naive and most gullible individual around...  (that's the best case scenario)   or,  he and his family put forth this hoax...    the guess is for two reasons...

1.   to gain support and sympathy and votes for his Heisman run.....

or....

2.   to cover-up the fact that he's gay.

If there's another alternative, I haven't read or heard about it....

So, those are your choices.  This is not a small story.   At the end of the year,  this will easily be one of the top-10 sports stories of the year.   Any list would be incomplete without it.    

Again, apologies for the length of this response.   I wanted to address your concerns.

Ruksak.... My apologies in advance, this is going to be a longer response than I'd like... I'm going to try and address your concerns...

First, I won't waste a minute of your time defending the style of the story.... You didn't like it. Fine. Others did. Difference of opinion.

That's said, allow me to preface my comments by saying I'm no media apologist. I'm not in the game anymore and I don't like the business as it's run these days.... I bash the media regularly on my Stanford website that I'm on far more than I visit here....

But, there was no "rush to tell a sad story" You tell the story as it unfolds. This played out over weeks and months. And calling it a benign back-story misses the mark completely. I also don't buy the "media is deflecting blame..." Sorry, the blame goes to Manti and his family for perpetrating a fraud. (or, to the people who pulled the wool over Manti's eyes if you believe his story) And Manti did so as the captain of the most stories football program in America. That position alone gives him credibility.

The deaths occurred in late September. ESPN had a ND game a week or two later. ESPN.com senior writer, Gene Wojohowski (sp?) did an interview with Manti in the week leading up to the game. Last night, Wojo explained that he asked Manti for a picture of her and asked for permission to speak to her family. Manti said the family didn't want to do either and wanted to be left alone. Wojo said he did a Google search looking for signs of the accident she was reportedly in, or an obituary that might say something about the girl and when he found neither, he chalked it up to the family being very private.

The reporter tried to verify certain things, but the fraud was the fraud. Things may seem obvious now in hindsight, but if someone had floated this idea a month or two ago, they would've been laughed off this website. Teo had credibility. The reporter tried and was rebuffed. That's as far as it went.

Just FYI.... all major media outlets have been completely gutted in the last 5 years. (ESPN is the one exception. They made a good faith effort, IMO.) There are literally hundreds of journalists in Southern California -- like me -- who are no longer in their chosen profession. The economic implosion of 2008 did that. Nationwide, there are thousands of journalists out of the business now. There is no man power to try and track down a story like this. Which is why it fell to an on-line website. They can focus on one story.... a giant story even if you think otherwise. But this story is huge and won't go away quickly.

Manti is either naive and most gullible individual around... (that's the best case scenario) or, he and his family put forth this hoax... the guess is for two reasons...

1. to gain support and sympathy and votes for his Heisman run.....

or....

2. to cover-up the fact that he's gay.

So, those are your choices. This is not a small story. At the end of the year, this will easily be one of the top-10 sports stories of the year. Any list would be incomplete without it.

Again, apologies for the length of this response. I wanted to address your concerns.

What really bugs me, other than the obvious .. Why didn't any of these news outlets do any fact checking?

and if the article is correct, then he Manti Te'o gots lots of splaining to do . . .

Why? His personal life is none of my bussiness - I couldnt care less!

YET another example of the media creating/spinning stories for ratings vs simply reporting on them for legit value!!

And hth does having a girlfrield real, imagined or otherwise who passes away boost anyones personal image? Are you saying voters use sympathy as a reason to vote? Geeesh!

Heck if my girlfriend was Katherine Webb I would feel like a GOD also...  

:td::number1::thmup::rock:

Te'o was the most overrated player this season. He didn't look so hot against my boys in the big dance. You seen exactly what Notre Dame was, OVERRATED. I'll be honest; Oregon probably would have beat us in that game....but they wanted Notre Dame, they got 'em and you seen exactly what happened. Te'o couldn't tackle anybody, and we ran it down their throats. McCarron looked like god out there, with all day to throw.

Why? His personal life is none of my bussiness - I couldnt care less!

YET another example of the media creating/spinning stories for ratings vs simply reporting on them for legit value!!

And hth does having a girlfrield real, imagined or otherwise who passes away boost anyones personal image? Are you saying voters use sympathy as a reason to vote? Geeesh!

Voters def give votes based upon 'the story' that was Te'os biggest draw, the fact that he was such an inspiration.....between Eddie Lacy dragging him up and down the field and this...he's def dropped his stock

Here he is hugging his Girlfriend. LOL http://whatdoumeme.com/meme/bghu6y

But this whiole story is just bizarre how do you not know the person that you are dating? The story does not add up at all it does not make any sense. They did not exchange emails or anything like that? I really pray for his sake that he did not know anything about it. But, I think he got caught up in his lies and it now gotten out of control and he is doing damage control.

Ruksak....     My apologies in advance,  this is going to be a longer response than I'd like...  I'm going to try and address your concerns...

First, I won't waste a minute of your time defending the style of the story....   You didn't like it.   Fine.    Others did.    Difference of opinion.

That's said, allow me to preface my comments by saying I'm no media apologist.   I'm not in the game anymore and I don't like the business as it's run these days....   I bash the media regularly on my Stanford website that I'm on far more than I visit here....

But,  there was no "rush to tell a sad story"   You tell the story as it unfolds.   This played out over weeks and months.   And calling it a benign back-story misses the mark completely.   I also don't buy the "media is deflecting blame..."    Sorry, the blame goes to Manti and his family for perpetrating a fraud.  (or, to the people who pulled the wool over Manti's eyes if you believe his story)   And Manti did so as the captain of the most stories football program in America.    That position alone gives him credibility.

The deaths occurred in late September.   ESPN had a ND game a week or two later.   ESPN.com senior writer,  Gene Wojohowski (sp?) did an interview with Manti in the week leading up to the game.   Last night, Wojo explained that he asked Manti for a picture of her and asked for permission to speak to her family.   Manti said the family didn't want to do either and wanted to be left alone.   Wojo said he did a Google search looking for signs of the accident she was reportedly in, or an obituary that might say something about the girl and when he found neither, he chalked it up to the family being very private.

The reporter tried to verify certain things,  but the fraud was the fraud.   Things may seem obvious now in hindsight,  but if someone had floated this idea a month or two ago, they would've been laughed off this website.   Teo had credibility.   The reporter tried and was rebuffed.    That's as far as it went.

Just FYI....  all major media outlets have been completely gutted in the last 5 years.  (ESPN is the one exception. They made a good faith effort, IMO.)   There are literally hundreds of journalists in Southern California -- like me -- who are no longer in their chosen profession.   The economic implosion of 2008 did that.   Nationwide, there are thousands of journalists out of the business now.    There is no man power to try and track down a story like this.     Which is why it fell to an on-line website.   They can focus on one story....   a giant story even if you think otherwise.   But this story is huge and won't go away quickly.   

Manti is either naive and most gullible individual around...  (that's the best case scenario)   or,  he and his family put forth this hoax...    the guess is for two reasons...

1.   to gain support and sympathy and votes for his Heisman run.....

or....

2.   to cover-up the fact that he's gay.

So, those are your choices.  This is not a small story.   At the end of the year,  this will easily be one of the top-10 sports stories of the year.   Any list would be incomplete without it.    

Again, apologies for the length of this response.   I wanted to address your concerns.

I just figured he was gay and was ashamed of it ..... its 2013 he need to get over that....

easy for you to say.. Have you ever been in a locker room?

To add to your point, a friend of mine added this...

-- He's Polynesian...   being gay is not good

-- He's Mormon...       being gay is not good

-- He's at a Catholic school...   being gay is not good

-- He's a football player at the Catholic school.    Being gay is not good

-- He's a football player at Notre Dame ***the*** Catholic football school --   well,  see above.

That's a lot to deal with....    that is,  if he is indeed,  gay...    we don't know yet...  still just speculation.   But that's what these stories lead to...   endless speculation...

I am starting to think dude is gay, and he AND ND are doing everything they can to cover it up.

Just way too elaborate a scam to be a simple little prank.   

Whatever...    the true story will get dug out of the ash.....     one way or another.

To add to your point, a friend of mine added this...

-- He's Polynesian...   being gay is not good

-- He's Mormon...       being gay is not good

-- He's at a Catholic school...   being gay is not good

-- He's a football player at the Catholic school.    Being gay is not good

-- He's a football player at Notre Dame ***the*** Catholic football school --   well,  see above.

That's a lot to deal with....    that is,  if he is indeed,  gay...    we don't know yet...  still just speculation.   But that's what these stories lead to...   endless speculation...

With all of this 'cheer' and 'happiness', Manti must need to move to Gay Paree!!!  At least it IS 2013 and not the 80s and 90s....a little easier to overcome......other than as mentioned...THE LOCKER ROOM!

Pool.jpg

GayPareeFlier2.jpg

Teo & Tuiasisopo hatched this scheme to garner favor with the Sports Writers (the majority of Heisman voters). And Reagan Mauia is lying as well in order to help cover his fellow Samoan.

The whole thing is a bunch of B.S.

No way this had anything to do with the heisman. The supposed death happened in mid September. Long before anyone was talking about him for the heisman

The idea that Teo needed a dead girlfriend for sympathy when his grandma just died is ridiculous..

The idea that he needed MORE publicity at Notre Dame is ridiculous..

Teo is the most highly publicized played in ND history

The poor fool got conned...

This type of elaborate con isnt all that unsusal its a joke..he got punked..played and displayed

'SHE' told him not to miss a game if she died..SHE told him she couldnt send him a picture.

I'm sure SHE told him not to come see her....and SHE never came to see him play..even at Stanford..where she supposedly attended

The girl he 'MET' wasnt the girl he 'MET'..the girl he talked to wanst the girl he was talking to

....he was young and dumb and he got conned...

..he was made a fool of..just for the heckuva it...

The Best case scenario......   Manti is the most gullible, naive person on the planet.   That's the best.

The worst case?    A carefully and heavily orchestrated attempt to boost his image in an attempt to win the Heisman.

I'm sure there will be several teams dropping him from their boards completely.    Other teams will just lower him and hope to grab him after the first....

But Holy Crap!!!!     The most disturbing story I've seen....   since....    well....    a long, long, long time....

Why does a four year starter at Notre Dame need MORE publicity?

Teo wasn't in the running for the Heisman when the year began..ND was predicted to have a .500 season..

What college kid doesnt have an online fried he's never met these days?

College kids are very, very naive...where it comes to the opposite sex....

Old people find this story suspect....college kids dont

The idea that Teo needed a dead girlfriend for sympathy when his grandma just died is ridiculous..

The idea that he needed MORE publicity at Notre Dame is ridiculous..

Teo is the most highly publicized played in ND history

The poor fool got conned...

This type of elaborate con isnt all that unsusal its a joke..he got punked..played and displayed

'SHE' told him not to miss a game if she died..SHE told him she couldnt send him a picture.

I'm sure SHE told him not to come see her....and SHE never came to see him play..even at Stanford..where she supposedly attended

The girl he 'MET' wasnt the girl he 'MET'..the girl he talked to wanst the girl he was talking to

....he was young and dumb and he got conned...

..he was made a fool of..just for the heckuva it...

Teo wasn't in the running for the Heisman when the year began..ND was predicted to have a .500 season..

Come 'on Oldunclemark. You can't be this gullable. This has been going on for 3 yrs. which lends credence to the rumor that he is gay. No way on earth this guy wasn't a part of this. I don't think it was for sympathy or publicity, I think it has to be the gay rumor thats circulating around the internet. It's the only thing that makes an ounce of sense. 

Come 'on Oldunclemark. You can't be this gullable. This has been going on for 3 yrs. which lends credence to the rumor that he is gay. No way on earth this guy wasn't a part of this. I don't think it was for sympathy or publicity, I think it has to be the gay rumor thats circulating around the internet. It's the only thing that makes an ounce of sense. 

Gary or straight..

It's a game, B-40......check it out

This 'catfish' thing....where people comes up with elborate complicated scams just to fool people on line...

Just for kicks..

Maybe you havent heard of it but its not that rare...and kids now are suckers for it because they all have online

friends who they've never met or only met once..

..and this would be the first time in history some college boy believed the lies of a girl he hardly knew.

Its a different world

You can only really reach one of two conclusions here:

1. Teo didn't know and was the victim of an online hoax, as he claims. Obviously this means that he lied earlier to the press about how he met her, etc. Could he have done that just because he was so embarrassed to say he only knew his GF virtually? Possibly. But I doubt it.

2. Teo was in on the whole thing with his buddy. Just a big PR, publicity thing that ultimately backfired bigtime. Basically it was a half-baked plan pulled off by two marginally intelligent people. My money is on this one.

And for him, the worst part here is that both of those conclusions absolutely suck. He's either dumb enough to get duped or has character issues to the max.

haha apparently Teo canceled on Jeremy Schaap. No doubt Jim Gray is on standby to toss him some softballs.

HMMM! If he has nothing to hide and if he was his name cleared then do the interview. Why cancel it? This is going to make him even look even more worst. I am surprised he is not clearing up his name right now. If he was the victim here, why isn't he trying to clear his name up going to every media out and getting his name cleared? I can't believe his so called Girlfriend has been going out for 3 years and they have not met in person or exchanged emails or even Skyped? It does not make any sense. He can;t be that dumb knowing nothing about this so called woman.

Because only one defense exclusive player has ever won the Heisman.  Because the 'Heisman machine' from boosters, schools, players themselves, drives the winner as much as play on the field - sometimes more so.  We didn't know who Johnny Manziel was in September either.  The machine doesn't ever crank up until November.  RG3 wasn't on the radar either.  And ND's 'aura' wasn't big enough still to allow him to surpass a freshman playing in Bryan, TX at Texas A&M.  Oh, and two Heisman voters have been interviewed on ESPN today who both said their vote for Teo was due in part to his overcoming such adversity, that when deciding between Manziel and Teo, they leaned Teo's way due to the stories, as they viewed the actual play on the field as a wash. 

I have no idea if this was a conspiracy or idiocy, but Teo is not a victim or a sympathetic figure in this at all to me.  He had multiple opportunities when directly asked by reporters to be honest.  He decided to not only lie, but create addition false details about the story.  He willingly offered details which he knew to be untrue.  The media didn't mention 2009 - they asked when they met, and Teo provided the answers.  I agree that there are lots of examples of young people meeting online, even thinking they're in love having never met.  That's youthful naivety (but not exclusive to the young).  What isn't 'normal' is to create and then perpetuate back stories and a history which is absolutely untrue. 

Here's the rub....if the whole things was a hustle used as misdirection intended to thwart rumors of being gay, wouldn't he have tweeted pictures of himself with some chic that he and Tuiasisopo would've brought in on the hustle?

Gary or straight..

It's a game, B-40......check it out

This 'catfish' thing....where people comes up with elborate complicated scams just to fool people on line...

Just for kicks..

Maybe you havent heard of it but its not that rare...and kids now are suckers for it because they all have online

friends who they've never met or only met once..

..and this would be the first time in history some college boy believed the lies of a girl he hardly knew.

Its a different world

I've heard of the catfish thing, but like I said this is a story that goes back 3 yrs.. Just my opinion, but I think he went to ND and his football buddies probably started questioning him about never being with a girl the 1st yr. he was there so he and his family came up with this online GF thing to take the pressure off him playing football at a Catholic school(and being Mormon) and knowing he was gay. The whole she was in a car wreck and then died of leukemia was a way to get out of the story because graduation and the NFL was on the horizon so he had to get rid of her so people wouldn't question where she was when she didn't show up with him anywhere. There are just too many inconsistencies in his story. Again this is just what I think probably happened and until the entire truth comes out we won't know, but I have no doubt, this whole "I was scammed" nonsense is ludicrous and doesn't make any sense at all.

Here's the rub....if the whole things was a hustle used as misdirection intended to thwart rumors of being gay, Wouldn't he have tweeted pictures of himself with some chic that he and Tuiasisopo would've brought in on the hustle?

I think it got way out of control and blew up in his face before they could come up with anything else. Read my other post and that is the best explanation I can come up with that makes a little sense. He and the others in on it just let it go to far and it backfired on them.

I have heard the gay rumors as well and given the fact sports culture has not progressed as much as our society has and the religious back ground it would not surprise me that is why he pulled the hoax off. If this was the reason then I feel really bad for the guy that he had to create this story just to prevent the ignorance that would come raining down on him.

It is hard for me to believe that he was tricked this whole time given the technology of web cams, Skype, FaceTime, and Google Talk. How do you not at least see her and given the amount of time they dated how do you not meet her at least once? If he was tricked then he has to be the dumbest and most gullible person out there.

I have heard the gay rumors as well and given the fact sports culture has not progressed as much as our society has and the religious back ground it would not surprise me that is why he pulled the hoax off. If this was the reason then I feel really bad for the guy that he had to create this story just to prevent the ignorance that would come raining down on him.

It is hard for me to believe that he was tricked this whole time given the technology of web cams, Skype, FaceTime, and Google Talk. How do you not at least see her and given the amount of time they dated how do you not meet her at least once? If he was tricked then he has to be the dumbest and most gullible person out there.

yes exactly, especially the second part, wouldnt u be a little suspicious if ur gf never let u see her in 3 years? then she gets in a bad car wreck and doesnt vist, its dying of leukemia, doesnt bother to visit, dies, doesnt attend, yet sends flowers to an unknown address , arent there some kind of records of where they were sent, it all seems a bit off to me

Brian..its the Bleacher Report.....come on

....Matt barkley was the Heisman frontrunner..Its was his to lose..

..and this thing goes back 3 years...

He says he just found out on Dec. 26.....He didnt perpetuate anything..

People want a bad guy in this story....and there isnt one..

Even the catfish con men did nit committ any crimes..

Brian..its the Bleacher Report.....come on hi

If this catfish thing is as big as some day, maybe there should be some laws against it

Because maybe she never let him do Skype or FaceTime...

She told him not to visit...She told him not take a game off if she died..

Her 'parents' wanted to keep the thing private so they didnt send him a photo to give to ESPN..

Maybe he DID meet "HER' but it wasn't her......It was a scam..a con...

Y'all are still not getting that this was a tech-savvy 21st Century scam.

again..look up catfishing....and read about the scams

Brian..its the Bleacher Report.....come on

Her 'parents' wanted to keep the thing private so they didnt send him a photo to give to ESPN..

I'll tell you like I told somebody else Mark, I've got some beautiful beachfront property for sell, just send me a self addressed stamped envelope containing a money order for 5000 dollars and I'll let you in on this amazing opportunity. 

If you're willing to believe this absolute utter nonsense that Te'o is telling people, surely you won't let my amazing opportunity pass you by.

Still he can;t be that naive to think that way. I thought he was smart, after all he got into ND.  If so he must have been so desperate to have someone in is life to think that that way and to miss all of the warning signs.