Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

Dustin

The Best case scenario......   Manti is the most gullible, naive person on the planet.   That's the best.

The worst case?    A carefully and heavily orchestrated attempt to boost his image in an attempt to win the Heisman.

I'm sure there will be several teams dropping him from their boards completely.    Other teams will just lower him and hope to grab him after the first....

But Holy Crap!!!!     The most disturbing story I've seen....   since....    well....    a long, long, long time....

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a poorly written, wandering and WAY TOO LONG of an article. 

A quick summary of events would've sufficed but this thing turned into a novel. 

Based on the terrible presentation of the article, I would be suspicious of it's claims. 

As someone who spent 30 years in the media,  allow me to disagree with you.      Yes, it's a very long story.   But there's a good reason.    The writers went point by point showing how what Manti and his family claimed to have happened -- simply couldn't have.

And there were so many claims,  so many moments,  so many instances that it takes time to go through them.

The reader is left with no choice but to conclude that Manti, and his family cynically, and carefully orchestrated this effort to boost his chances at the Heisman.    It's such a disgusting thought,  but there's not many other options are there?

Just my two cents....   OK,  maybe a dimes worth...   but this story is worth it....      :facepalm:

:yuk:       :thmdown:       :no:         :cuss:        :censored:       :Nuke:

Here's question that could offer the scenario: Why would a Mormon football player lie about a girlfriend that lives across the country?

I don't understand what Manti being a Mormon has to do with anything?

Manti and the family have made multiple comments about meeting the girl...   and about her family....

What girl?     What family?    

His reason for the lie?     To gain sympathy, and popularity towards winning the Heisman.     That's your motive.

I appreciate that might seem very cynical,  but I'm not sure there's another read to be made of things....

I don't understand what Manti being a Mormon has to do with anything?

Manti and the family have made multiple comments about meeting the girl...   and about her family....

What girl?     What family?    

His reason for the lie?     To gain sympathy, and popularity towards winning the Heisman.     That's your motive.

I appreciate that might seem very cynical,  but I'm not sure there's another read to be made of things....

There was a rumors going around today that he was homosexual and the girl was a cover up for it.

Here's an excerpt from a comment on another website:

"The more I think about it, the more it seems like a cover for something.

He's a young athlete at ND, he's expected to run around with girls. So he invents this girl to appease his friends as well as keep other girls off him. She's from another school across the country so on campus he won't have present her.

Then stuff just starts spinning and spinning and he loses control of the situation and "kills" her at the same time as his grandma, thinking she might go overshadowed."

Not saying that I agree with it or that it's even likely, but it's just a scenario that doesn't make him seem like a terrible person.

What did Swarbrick say in his statement?

Its still going on.. Seems like a very complex ordeal. Manti is going to address the situation tomorrow. A lot of details. The way swarbrick is making it sound is that they only knew each other on the phone and online. According to him, the "dead girl" contacted him sometime after her "death". When that occurred manti went to the coaches. He said he will let manti and his family address the comments about meeting her face to face

Wierd thing is Reagan Mauia, the Cardinal fullback says he met the girl in person at some fundraiser in Samoa that Troy Polomalu put together.  He even describes her and says he was close to her family.  Says the Tuiasasopo fellow introduced her to him.  This was in 2011.  So unless Mauia is lying, this Tuiasasopo guy found a real girl to pose as Kekua for this party?????

Wierd thing is Reagan Mauia, the Cardinal fullback says he met the girl in person at some fundraiser in Samoa that Troy Polomalu put together. He even describes her and says he was close to her family. Says the Tuiasasopo fellow introduced her to him. This was in 2011. So unless Mauia is lying, this Tuiasasopo guy found a real girl to pose as Kekua for this party?????

I hadn't heard that. The whole thing is crazy

I hadn't heard that. The whole thing is crazy

It's in the latest ESPN update to the story.

QUOTE:  "Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.

"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."

Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.

"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "

He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."

It's making the rounds here in Hawaii as you can imagine.  The interesting thing is that no one can seem to find any quote or interview that Manti specifically says he met her in person.  Most of that was just speculation put together from different media outlets.  His "meeting her in Hawaii" was also the dad saying that Teo and the girl had met in Hawaii, but even then, the dad never directly says he saw them together or that he met her himself.  Teo never refuted the dad, but never confirmed it either.  I'm still waiting to hear or read something where he directly says they were together in person, but I can't find anything. 

First lance lied, now manti. Next someone is going to tell me the Amish mafia show isn't real..

I can promise you it is.

My sister is a dairy inspector for the state of Indiana. 70% of the farms she inspects in her district are Amish operations. There have been many times since she started the job (neraly 10 years now) that she has had to shut farms down for health violations and she's received threats from the local lebanon. Her work vehicle has been vandalized because of it many times, her life threatened, and it came to a head just last year when a federal marshall rode along with her for 6 weeks because there was believed to be a hit out on her.

There is an Amish mafia, and if you believe there isnt it just shows you have spent 0 time amongst the Amish.

No, that's Sports Pickle.

Deadspin is like TMZ, with real journalists/researchers.

I wouldn't go as far as journalists, I say more like paparazzi's with an IQ and witty questions

ikr? Even if the Notre Dame statement is accurate, it still knocks Teo down the draft board for being the most gullible person on the planet... reminds me of that movie "Catfish"... What I don't get is why he would continue to perpetrate the lie, knowing he would eventually be caught up.... I never read the word "*" in any of the scouting reports....

Funny you should bring that show up, you hit the nail on the head with "catfish" MTV has the series on every Monday night @10p.   With that being said there are more and more people using the internet for relationships now, more so than ever.  Yet I find it hard to believe that Teo would have had problems meeting and dating women.  Stranger things have happened but unfortunately it sounds suspect.  I hope it isn't because I believe the blunder could cost him alot of money in the NFL

If it turns out to Teo is a part of some huge conspiracy, it will hurt his draft stock but he will still be drafted at some point. If he is just the victim and chose to cover it up, I still think he is taken Day One.  It will be interesting to see what else comes out of this story.  There is a lot of time between now and draft day.

It's in the latest ESPN update to the story.

QUOTE:  "Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.

"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."

Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.

"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "

He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."

It's making the rounds here in Hawaii as you can imagine.  The interesting thing is that no one can seem to find any quote or interview that Manti specifically says he met her in person.  Most of that was just speculation put together from different media outlets.  His "meeting her in Hawaii" was also the dad saying that Teo and the girl had met in Hawaii, but even then, the dad never directly says he saw them together or that he met her himself.  Teo never refuted the dad, but never confirmed it either.  I'm still waiting to hear or read something where he directly says they were together in person, but I can't find anything. 

So this Cardinals guy just happens to run into her at a charity event in Samoa? What was she doing there in the first place? Did the cousin introduce her by name? 

Is anyone on this board a PI??

That was a poorly written, wandering and WAY TOO LONG of an article. 

A quick summary of events would've sufficed but this thing turned into a novel. 

Based on the terrible presentation of the article, I would be suspicious of it's claims. 

The unsavory hoax notwithstanding...My sentiments exactly...That author of the article desperately needed an editor. I felt like I was trying to speed read "War & Peace." A 3 paragraph synopsis would have covered all the highlights. My 12 year old nephews can write more comprehensively & concisely than that. Just pathetic. 

There was a rumors going around today that he was homosexual and the girl was a cover up for it.

Here's an excerpt from a comment on another website:

"The more I think about it, the more it seems like a cover for something.

He's a young athlete at ND, he's expected to run around with girls. So he invents this girl to appease his friends as well as keep other girls off him. She's from another school across the country so on campus he won't have present her.

Then stuff just starts spinning and spinning and he loses control of the situation and "kills" her at the same time as his grandma, thinking she might go overshadowed."

Not saying that I agree with it or that it's even likely, but it's just a scenario that doesn't make him seem like a terrible person.

Since my last post, I've heard this theory as well...    and, frankly, I think it's possible.    I wouldn't rule it out.

For argument's sake, let's say it's true.  But, what's disturbing is...  he's perpetrated this hoax to cover-up being gay,  and now that his story has crumbled he's now saying he's the victim of a terrible hoax.    I understand wanting to keep his secret a secret, but at some point the lies are digging him a deeper and deeper hole.   He's making it worse for himself and not better.

Monti is going to have to face the media and answer every and all questions.   There are way, way too many contradictions here for him to just give a statement to Notre Dame and then nothing.   He's going to have stand up and face cameras and microphones and note pads...   because when he goes to the combine,  the media there, plus the NFL folks are going to ask him those same questions and he'll be answering then.    He might as well do it now and get it over with....

I think he was just extremely gullible, guys tend to get like that with women alot of times point blank but if I am an NFL team in need of a ILB then I certainly would not do something as insane to drop him from my board or wait a couple rounds to get him just because he was naive over what he thought was a girl he cared alot for thats ridiculous

I think he was just extremely gullible, guys tend to get like that with women alot of times point blank but if I am an NFL team in need of a ILB then I certainly would not do something as insane to drop him from my board or wait a couple rounds to get him just because he was naive over what he thought was a girl he cared alot for thats ridiculous

Exactly, all NFL teams have mentors or counselors who can help gullible athletes make more informed life choices. I wouldn't drop his draft stock over this at all or hesitate taking him as member of my football team as a GM. If a kid can improve my squad, I take him & sort out easy manipulation off the field issues later. Well said Gavin. 

As someone who spent 30 years in the media,  allow me to disagree with you.      Yes, it's a very long story.   But there's a good reason.    The writers went point by point showing how what Manti and his family claimed to have happened -- simply couldn't have.

And there were so many claims,  so many moments,  so many instances that it takes time to go through them.

"A quick summary" was what I eluded to above as being the best option for something like this. This matter doesn't interest people to such a degree that a forensics timeline must be painfully drawn out with all the detail of Tolkien novel. I found myself not caring at all by the third paragraph, as I scrolled down I saw that there were MANY paragraphs. Forget it.....don't care anymore. 

Writers, media types.....they get so drawn into their own egos they forget that the reader isn't grading their report. We are reading this article for entertainment and when a writer sets out to report about something so convoluted, it is best to provide a quick summary in the beginning of the report so as to grab the readers attention, creating a desire for the sordid details in length. 

I would be remiss to not point out the irony of, yet again, the media deflecting blame for their own antics causing such a fuss.

Manti was not launching some media blitz to highlight his inspired efforts to play for the memory of a dead girl. He was not pandering to this cause like a shyster, setting up victims. 

It was the MEDIA whom chose to make a serial drama out of this relatively benign back-story. It was the media whom was fooled by their own rush to air a sad story. Perhaps before airing a segment on the inspiring story of a Notre Dame football player struggling his way through strife, maybe, MAYBE they should've done a little background check into whether or not this girl actually existed at all? 

When the media gets fooled, they scramble to deflect blame to everyone else. Now they wanna do a story about this big meat-head football jock whom fooled the world.....when it was them whom aired the story on national television and printed it in nationally syndicated papers. 

"A quick summary" was what I eluded to above as being the best option for something like this. This matter doesn't interest people to such a degree that a forensics timeline must be painfully drawn out with all the detail of Tolkien novel. I found myself not caring at all by the third paragraph, as I scrolled down I saw that there were MANY paragraphs. Forget it.....don't care anymore. 

Writers, media types.....they get so drawn into their own egos they forget that the reader isn't grading their report. We are reading this article for entertainment and when a writer sets out to report about something so convoluted, it is best to provide a quick summary in the beginning of the report so as to grab the readers attention, creating a desire for the sordid details in length. 

I would be remiss to not point out the irony of, yet again, the media deflecting blame for their own antics causing such a fuss.

Manti was not launching some media blitz to highlight his inspired efforts to play for the memory of a dead girl. He was not pandering to this cause like a shyster, setting up victims. 

It was the MEDIA whom chose to make a serial drama out of this relatively benign back-story. It was the media whom was fooled by their own rush to air a sad story. Perhaps before airing a segment on the inspiring story of a Notre Dame football player struggling his way through strife, maybe, MAYBE they should've done a little background check into whether or not this girl actually existed at all? 

When the media gets fooled, they scramble to deflect blame to everyone else. Now they wanna do a story about this big meat-head football jock whom fooled the world.....when it was them whom aired the story on national television and printed it in nationally syndicated papers. 

Beautiful summary ruksak! I especially admired the parts I bolded. If you had a column, I would read it every week because you know how to communicate relevant information & not get bogged down in pointless, mind numbing clutter. Bravo!   :hat:

Yes,its disgusting,but young people often do stupid things(i think he did trying to get an edge on the hardware).But if he's still there late and i mean late in the draft(6th-7th),i would still take a flyer on him.Its hard to believe now he's going to be just a camp body.

who?

I can promise you it is. My sister is a dairy inspector for the state of Indiana. 70% of the farms she inspects in her district are Amish operations. There have been many times since she started the job (neraly 10 years now) that she has had to shut farms down for health violations and she's received threats from the local lebanon. Her work vehicle has been vandalized because of it many times, her life threatened, and it came to a head just last year when a federal marshall rode along with her for 6 weeks because there was believed to be a hit out on her. There is an Amish mafia, and if you believe there isnt it just shows you have spent 0 time amongst the Amish.

Are you being serious,or just joshin'?

I think maybe us(colts)or the patriots draft him.We need all the help we can get,and they often draft players with problems(dennard/merriweather).He's still worth a 6th-7th.

I dont see him as the next Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis but He will be a first round pick no doubt in my mind, Buffalo Bills need an ILB bad, if a ILB hungry team like the Bills pass on this guy just because he was gullible because a woman or someone lied to him then some GM should be fired, I'd pass on him late anyway for a tall speed wr such as Dan Buckner

I can promise you it is. My sister is a dairy inspector for the state of Indiana. 70% of the farms she inspects in her district are Amish operations. There have been many times since she started the job (neraly 10 years now) that she has had to shut farms down for health violations and she's received threats from the local lebanon. Her work vehicle has been vandalized because of it many times, her life threatened, and it came to a head just last year when a federal marshall rode along with her for 6 weeks because there was believed to be a hit out on her. There is an Amish mafia, and if you believe there isnt it just shows you have spent 0 time amongst the Amish.

Lol.. First off i live in Elkhart, Indiana. I have been around the Amish most of my life. Second that show is completely fake. Google it some time. The producers have said as much, as have the local businesses that supposedly pay him for protection.... Lol 100% fake

In this day of online intercommunications, anything could happen.  I've seen unreal relationships all because of internet and pc's, tablets, smartphones, etc.   I've seen kids ride home on their school bus that would rather Txt their frien d at home than go over to their house. This is the latest take-  "Catfished"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/notre-dame-football-star-manti-teo-dead-girlfriend/story?id=18232374

Lol.. First off i live in Elkhart, Indiana. I have been around the Amish most of my life. Second that show is completely fake. Google it some time. The producers have said as much, as have the local businesses that supposedly pay him for protection.... Lol 100% fake

Also there isn't a title of Lebanon in the Amish community. They call him that because Lancaster is in Lebanon county Pennsylvania

Yep, with a little bit of easy research anybody can find out how fake that show is. Lebanon Levi's real name is Levi Stoltzfus. Discovery even done an hour long show trying to prove that it wasn't fake because everybody already knows it is fake. People of Lancaster Pa. are not happy with the way their town has been portrayed in the show. There was an episode where Levi's Trailer burnt and they tried to pass it off as Levi's arch rival Merlin, had burned it down, but in reality, Levi's applied for a permit to burn it down himself and it was approved for the neptune fire co.(of which Levi is a member of) to burn it and have it filmed by the show. I don't know how anybody that seen that show didn't realize that it was fake since the trailer was strategically placed in the middle of nowhere  and looked like it was in the middle of an old country rd. between 2 cornfields. 

The Best case scenario......   Manti is the most gullible, naive person on the planet.   That's the best.

The worst case?    A carefully and heavily orchestrated attempt to boost his image in an attempt to win the Heisman.

I'm sure there will be several teams dropping him from their boards completely.    Other teams will just lower him and hope to grab him after the first....

But Holy Crap!!!!     The most disturbing story I've seen....   since....    well....    a long, long, long time....

It's a sad and desperate story, no worse. The KC Linebacker shooting his girlfriend 9 times after being caught playing around, and leaving a small child orphaned is disturbing. Perspective please sir.