Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aqib Talib.

Dark Superman

I know we went out on a limb and got Vontae Davis for a second round draft pick and it worked out in our favor.. But why didn't we reach out to Talib as well?

He only cost the Patriots a 4th round pick.. I consider him a much higher value.

Talent is through the roof. Good play maker can cover pretty well.. Helped elevate the Patriots secondary.

With the right coaching could get his mental aspect back into the game.. Who better than Pagano?

Him and Davis together would be a pretty fantastic duo..

I know we went out on a limb and got Vontae Davis for a second round draft pick and it worked out in our favor.. But why didn't we reach out to Talib as well?

He only cost the Patriots a 4th round pick.. I consider him a much higher value.

Talent is through the roof. Good play maker can cover pretty well.. Helped elevate the Patriots secondary.

With the right coaching could get his mental aspect back into the game.. Who better than Pagano?

Him and Davis together would be a pretty fantastic duo..

He was on a four game suspension at the time. He's had multiple off-field issues over the past couple years. And I don't think Grigson wanted to part with anymore future draft picks. At the time, we still had Powers (he went on IR two weeks after Talib's suspension ended), and the Davis trade hadn't really started to pay off yet.

I don't think this was the move for our team at that time.

Colts as we all know is up there franchise "Thanks Peyton" and continued playoff contender with A.Luck, that alone should bring in players, we don't need troubled gangsta wanna be players, a good locker room is a huge benefit. Davis saw just changing teams he got into the playoffs when he couldn't the previous years, just because a crappy team drafted you, just play out your contract and do great then other teams "playoff caliber teams" will be open for you to go there, some players don't get it, if your just about the money like "Wallace" or "MJD" then once paid they probably won't contribute like when Haynesworth got the huge contract in Washington "been widely derided as the worst free agent signing in NFL history". The players past is always revalent, of course you can say something about Davis and Butlers pasts but it was minor stuff, 2 recent interviews with them they are happy and stoked to be on the Colts and they like the city...

Go Colts!!!!!

He was on a four game suspension at the time. He's had multiple off-field issues over the past couple years. And I don't think Grigson wanted to part with anymore future draft picks. At the time, we still had Powers (he went on IR two weeks after Talib's suspension ended), and the Davis trade hadn't really started to pay off yet.

I don't think this was the move for our team at that time.

Also he had only the remainder of 2012 left on his contract which makes him much more valuable to a team that is playoff bound. At that time I don't think the Colts really believed they would be in the post season. 

As long as the character issues aren't an issue (and they haven't been so far), Talib's a great CB. I actually hope, in a way, that the Patriots franchise the guy. I think he's that good. I'd rather have them franchise him than Welker.

Ummmm.....    about those character issues?? 

From his Wiki page....

Legal and conduct issues

-- Talib has had several conduct related issues since his NFL career started.

-- At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[10] 

-- On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[11] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patroland booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[12] 

-- In March 2011, police in Garland, Texasissued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[13] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[14] 

-- On June 18, 2012 the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser.[15]

If you still have doubts,  feel free to do your own Google search...   I think you'll find the results show TONS of character concerns...    That's why Tampa traded him.    You don't trade guys that talented unless you're seriously concerned over issues that have nothing to do with his performance on the field....

Just sayin....

Ummmm.....    about those character issues?? 

From his Wiki page....

Legal and conduct issues

-- At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[10]

-- On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[11] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patroland booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[12]

-- In March 2011, police in Garland, Texasissued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[13] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[14]

-- On June 18, 2012 the charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence and character concerns with the accuser.[15]

If you still have doubts,  feel free to do your own Google search...   I think you'll find the results show TONS of character concerns...    That's why Tampa traded him.    You don't trade guys that talented unless you're seriously concerned over issues that have nothing to do with his performance on the field....

Just sayin....

I think ViriLudant was talking specifically about the time he has spent on the Pats, but I agree that it's to small of a sample size to just say that he won't have issues anymore.

Seriously people, STOP with the bringing up of off field issues. People can CHANGE! Some of you said you didn't want Vontae Davis cause of his "off field issues". Now look at you, cheering him on like nothing ever happened. All it takes is for the player to get around the right kind of people & watch they get their life together

i think mike jenkins is worth a shot. he has to be better than vaughn played a majority of the games, especially the most recent one. i really liked vaughn and wanted to give him a shot over and over again but idk if he can be a starter. maybe competition with jenkins vaughn and butler would help increase their output, if he doesnt ask for tooooo much money id say lets take him

Seriously people, STOP with the bringing up of off field issues. People can CHANGE! Some of you said you didn't want Vontae Davis cause of his "off field issues". Now look at you, cheering him on like nothing ever happened. All it takes is for the player to get around the right kind of people & watch they get their life together

Vontae Davis' bio doesn't read anything like Aqib Talib's does. Davis had some motivational and maturity issues. Talib had legal issues, including accusations of assault and batter.

People can change, and sometimes it's unfair to hold things over someone's head forever. But let's understand the fundamental difference between aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and showing up to practice hungover. 

Let's separate this from Davis and Talib, by the way. Take Janoris Jenkins, who had several red flags with character, but most related to drugs, alcohol, and having a bunch of kids with different women. I think it's safe to label that as a maturity issue. Serious, worth consideration, and I think it knocked him entirely off of a lot of team's draft boards (including ours).

But compare that with Alfonzo Dennard. He allegedly assaulted a police officer five days before the draft.

Both were considered top talents, but Jenkins went in the second round, and Dennard went in the 6th. Some grievances are more concerning than others.

i think mike jenkins is worth a shot. he has to be better than vaughn played a majority of the games, especially the most recent one. i really liked vaughn and wanted to give him a shot over and over again but idk if he can be a starter. maybe competition with jenkins vaughn and butler would help increase their output, if he doesnt ask for tooooo much money id say lets take him

Jenkins didn't have a very good year, but he's definitely better than Vaughn.

I'm sure he's not going back to Dallas

1189 posts

Posted Today, 03:49 PM

jbaron04, on 16 Jan 2013 - 14:39, said:

We need guy like drc to cover big receivers

rather take my chances with migrain ridden Tracy Porter.

Porters issues are Seizures much more serious than migraines..

I would stay away from Porter.. Denver won't bring him back.. 2nd year CB Harris has taken his place

Vontae Davis' bio doesn't read anything like Aqib Talib's does. Davis had some motivational and maturity issues. Talib had legal issues, including accusations of assault and batter.

People can change, and sometimes it's unfair to hold things over someone's head forever. But let's understand the fundamental difference between aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and showing up to practice hungover.

Let's separate this from Davis and Talib, by the way. Take Janoris Jenkins, who had several red flags with character, but most related to drugs, alcohol, and having a bunch of kids with different women. I think it's safe to label that as a maturity issue. Serious, worth consideration, and I think it knocked him entirely off of a lot of team's draft boards (including ours).

But compare that with Alfonzo Dennard. He allegedly assaulted a police officer five days before the draft.

Both were considered top talents, but Jenkins went in the second round, and Dennard went in the 6th. Some grievances are more concerning than others.

I still don't hold things over people's head. Just like when we signed Geathers, he had a Record. But he also had a good starting debut against the Texans at LOS

Not to be a nit picker but Denard was the 17th pick in the 7th round. 10 picks after Flugger was selected.

I'll say this about Talib.....     he's played exceptionally well for the Pats....   they reportedly love him and want him back.    Fine.

But, if we decide we're now interested,  let's at least make an offer and force New England's hand to pay Talib full price.   If the Pats want to keep him, make them write a big check.

I don't mind not getting him...   but, if we're interested, then I'd like us to make a good faith bid to make things interesting....

And yes,  my hypothetical here presumes we now have interest....   I have no idea if we do,  I'm just stating a possible scenario...

Ummmm..... about those character issues??

From his Wiki page....

Legal and conduct issues

-- At the NFL rookie symposium in July 2008, Talib was involved in a fistfight with fellow Buccaneers rookie Cory Boyd.[10]

-- On August 20, 2009, Talib allegedly battered a taxi driver,[11] and he was arrested by Florida Highway Patroland booked into the Pinellas County jail, charged with resisting arrest without violence and simple battery.[12]

-- In March 2011, police in Garland, Texasissued a felony warrant for Talib for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after accusing him of firing a gun at his sister's boyfriend.[13] He was later released on $25,000 bond. Talib was indicted on the charge in May 2011.[14]

If you still have doubts, feel free to do your own Google search... I think you'll find the results show TONS of character concerns... That's why Tampa traded him. You don't trade guys that talented unless you're seriously concerned over issues that have nothing to do with his performance on the field....

Just sayin....

Corey Dillon.

Randy Moss.

Did they work out in New England?

As long as Talib is on good behavior, I hope that he remains a Patriot.

If not, ciao.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2013 - off topic
Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2013 - off topic
The Patriots* aren't going to let him go.

Quote from Bill Belichick*...

“He’s a good football player, good teammate [and] he’s very well respected because of his professionalism,” Belichick said of Talib. “He studies hard and prepares well. He’s tough. He competes well, both in practice and on Sundays. Smart kid. I like him; the team likes him. He’s a good guy to be around, and he works hard and competes well. I think those are his most impressive qualities. I’m glad he’s on our football team. He’s certainly made us a better football team.”

* After a thorough investigation, the NFL fined the Patriots** head coach $500,000 (the maximum allowed by the league and the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the league's 87-year history) for cheating.

** After a thorough investigation, the NFL fined the Patriots $250,000, the largest fine ever imposed on an NFL franchise and stripped away their 1st round draft selection in the 2008 NFL draft.