Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chip Kelly new Eagles HC.

House

Apparently this guy has trouble making up his mind. I don't think he'll be a good pro coach. His offense is made for college.

I have questions about his offense as well, but I do think a person should be able to change their mind as situations change. It's too bad for Oregon, but if the Eagles came back and blew his mind, why shouldn't he be able to make a different decision?

The media is going to give him the Nick Saban treatment, and I don't think that's fair.

I have questions about his offense as well, but I do think a person should be able to change their mind as situations change. It's too bad for Oregon, but if the Eagles came back and blew his mind, why shouldn't he be able to make a different decision?

The media is going to give him the Nick Saban treatment, and I don't think that's fair.

Oh, I don't care that he changed his mind I guess, but I'm not sure I would want to start off with my head coach being wishy washy. A couple weeks ago he told the Eagles he wanted to coach Cleveland, then he told Cleveland no thanks, then he went back to the Eagles and said he was staying at Oregon, and now he calls the Eagles up and tells them he changed his mind. This is all what they said on NFL network so Im not making this up. Just repeating what they said.

Oh, I don't care that he changed his mind I guess, but I'm not sure I would want to start off with my head coach being wishy washy. A couple weeks ago he told the Eagles he wanted to coach Cleveland, then he told Cleveland no thanks, then he went back to the Eagles and said he was staying at Oregon, and now he calls the Eagles up and tells them he changed his mind. This is all what they said on NFL network so Im not making this up. Just repeating what they said.

If that's what happened, then I get it. That's very wishy-washy.

I was assuming that the Eagles disjointed head coaching search left them desperate, so they went back to their favorite option and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. And, by the way, that's what I believe happened with Saban and Miami a few years ago. I don't feel sorry for Kelly, and definitely not for Saban. Just saying that, if that's what happened, he should be able to make the decision he feels best about, even if he changes his mind.

what did Nick Saban did?

What's the old adage?  "Money talks, but it don't sing and dance, and it don't walk?" :funny:   My guess is that...like the Pistol and it's brother the Read offense, Chip Kelly's version will also work for awhile.  Defensive coordinators will figure this thing out quickly, or the QBs as you say will be destroyed.  RG3 is already down.....(Not necessarily a product of the offense....but 2nd knee problem and a concussion)

Any DC should make sure that his defense is in "Contain mode." and the 'veer offense' (What each is a variation thereof) can be shut-down or vastly limited and the QB more than likely will be on the sideline....not in the endzone.  Kelly fans, Skins fans, and SF fans may argue with me, but I know how to play against these offenses....give me someone willing to 'stay home' and HIT!  :)

I guess Billick stays in the booth.  I thought he was a good no-nonsense guy that would clean up the Philly circus.....Kelly adds to it IMO.  College < NFL.

I think you got it...     $$$$  The guy is just about as hot as he could possibly get.   He worked them.

Strike while the iron is hot...

If that's what happened, then I get it. That's very wishy-washy.

I was assuming that the Eagles disjointed head coaching search left them desperate, so they went back to their favorite option and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. And, by the way, that's what I believe happened with Saban and Miami a few years ago. I don't feel sorry for Kelly, and definitely not for Saban. Just saying that, if that's what happened, he should be able to make the decision he feels best about, even if he changes his mind.

what did Nick Saban did?

When he was still with the Dolphins, he spoke with Alabama about their head coaching job, but turned them down. He then told several people that he was staying with the Dolphins, denying that he was still considering the Alabama job. Days later, he accepted the Alabama job.

I always thought Alabama kept in touch with him, and finally came back and made him a better offer. There were also issues with his wife and family that affected his decision, according to the Dolphins owner. But he was branded a liar by the media, especially in Miami. I didn't think it was fair, because I think people should be allowed to change their minds.

What's the old adage?  "Money talks, but it don't sing and dance, and it don't walk?" :funny:   My guess is that...like the Pistol and it's brother the Read offense, Chip Kelly's version will also work for awhile.  Defensive coordinators will figure this thing out quickly, or the QBs as you say will be destroyed.  RG3 is already down.....(Not necessarily a product of the offense....but 2nd knee problem and a concussion)

Any DC should make sure that his defense is in "Contain mode." and the 'veer offense' (What each is a variation thereof) can be shut-down or vastly limited and the QB more than likely will be on the sideline....not in the endzone.  Kelly fans, Skins fans, and SF fans may argue with me, but I know how to play against these offenses....give me someone willing to 'stay home' and HIT!   :)

I guess Billick stays in the booth.  I thought he was a good no-nonsense guy that would clean up the Philly circus.....Kelly adds to it IMO.  College < NFL.

Im not even a big fan of Billick, but I would have went with him over Kelly in a heartbeat.

I probably would have, as well. But I don't think Kelly is going to bring a circus to town. I just don't think his offense is going to translate to the NFL.

The circus was already in Philly before Kelly arrived. As for his offense, well that's still yet to be seen. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127219/article/chip-kelly-to-eagles-fallout-will-michael-vick-fit-as-qb

Im not even a big fan of Billick, but I would have went with him over Kelly in a heartbeat.

I wanted to see what Billick could do with some 'time off.'    Reading what Superman said above what I am writing, Kelly may not bring the circus to town....it is to me a mini-me of New York....Vick, DeSean Jackson.....some of said circus is already IN town!!  He needs to be ready for it as well as the fans (short for fanatic :)).....Philly is not the place for someone used to nice laid back Oregon....just my opinion.  :)

God, I shake my head when NFL owners & GMs hire college coaches not as coordinators, but head coaches. Other than Jim Harbaugh from Stanford to the 49ers, recent transition stories from college to the NFL are not exactly a shining beacon of success. Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Nick Saban...I can keep going. Chip Kelly is a horrible NFL hire IMO.

While no one obviously has a crystal ball, I think Kelly may do alright if he gets himself a good staff, including a veteran OC. Kelly's background is a little more diversified than what you see up here in Oregon. He has a similar background to Bill O'Brien (former patriots OC) and I feel he's capable of running different styles of offenses - just a question of getting a feel for what NFL defenses do well.

The fact of the matter is that most evolution of the pro game comes from the college ranks. Just ask Bill Belichik. So while the phrase "that only works in college" may apply for a while, if the college game swings heavily that direction, then those are the types of players that are going to come out and if you want to hit the ground running, you do what your players are comfortable with. Its a slow shift to be sure and there's always resistance from the "old school", but if a concept is sound then its only a matter of time before it catches on. Spread offense concepts are being used all over now. Even the basic shotgun formation has its roots in college.

God, I shake my head when NFL owners & GMs hire college coaches not as coordinators, but head coaches. Other than Jim Harbaugh from Stanford to the 49ers, recent transition stories from college to the NFL are not exactly a shining beacon of success. Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Nick Saban...I can keep going. Chip Kelly is a horrible NFL hire IMO.

Pete carrol is doing a pretty good job

It depends....You have Coughlin who coughs up a great start to an even or losing record to end the season. Dan Synder and his fantasy football team under a washed up coach, then last but not least Jerrah who makes sure the Cowboys never ever win another Super Bowl. Kelly made do alright if he follows the pattern and sees where his competition likes to make mistakes.