Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My ideal FA and draft situation

2013 Free Agency : 

RT Sebastian Vollmer : Justice isn't cutting it. I'd like to see one of Tom Brady's body guards in a blue and white next year. Luck seems to be pretty good when he has time to pass the ball...

OG Louis Vasquez : I'm sure Jimmy Raye will be talking to Grigson about this Chargers future. Hopefully it's in Indianapolis, because our interior line is absolutely pathetic. 

OLB Anthony Spencer : Spencer will be an immediate upgrade at OLB. Sad to see Dwight leave, but it seems inevitable. 

ILB Dannell Ellerbe : I think Ellerbe is a cap casualty of the Ravens this offseason. I don't know if Pat Angerer is the solution along side Freeman, but having Ellerbe on the team certainly can't hurt the situation. I'm sure Pagano will be happy to speak with him about moving to the circle city.

CB Mike Jenkins : Cowboys probably should have traded him to us when they could get something for him. He'll be able to test free agency and I imagine Grigson will come knocking on his door once again with a reasonable offer and a guarantee to see playing time. 

2013 Draft :

1st Round - Sheldon Richardson, DE Missouri : Cory Redding needs a Robin to his Batman. A Goose to his Maverick. A bona fide wingman. Richardson is a great athlete with a "never quit" mentality. He's a solid 1st round draft choice and should drop to us at 24. 

http://youtu.be/rCLG6J87S-k

3rd Round - Alvin Bailey, OG Arkansas : Another productive, big boy interior lineman that can come to Luck's rescue. I think he'll be a welcomed addition to the line and will compete with Reitz/Ijalana in camp. #67 in video below.

http://youtu.be/aq0_ImCJAGA

4th Round - Phillip Thomas, SS Fresno State : Big hitter, good tackling and can go after the ball. I think he's a huge steal in the 4th and an upgrade over Zibby.

http://youtu.be/u7R24OSpXVI

6th Round -  Braxton Cave, C Notre Dame : I'm not saying that Satele and Shipley are not the answers at Center, but the Interior can be upgraded and a 6th round pick is a small price to pay for the potential of Cave. 

http://youtu.be/_Ken-bEcbIQ

7th Round - Josh Johnson, CB Purdue : Homer alert! I watch this kid play every Saturday either at Ross Aide or on TV. He is a good corner who could play in the nickel package. Can't be worse than Vaughn/Butler. No highlight video love for him on the YouTube but he finished 2012 with 65 tackles, 16 passes broken up, three fumbles forced, one recovered and three interceptions, one of which he returned 74 yards for a touchdown.

I like it! I've seen a lot of mocks having us take Richardson in the 1st rd and I can't say that would be a bad choice. Not sure Cave lasts into the 6th but I definitely wouldn't mind having him. I actually thought Shipley played better than Satelle so it wouldn't bother me to see Satelle walk and have Shipley and Cave going forward. Haven't seen any Fresno St games this year so I'll have to check out this Safety you have listed.

Dont need Ellerbe, he is intriguing, I like him but not need him, Rather look at Brent Grimes

I'd go with Spencer in FA but I'd also get Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd 

In the first I'd take Barrett Jones in the first over Richardson but I do like the Richardson pick over some mocks I have seen some wanting Ansah which would be a big reach in my opinion

Rather go with Brandan Bishop over Thomas but would look at Thomas, I am ready he was suspended indefinitly though this year, I'd like to know why. Talent is there though

Nice effort.....

Not sure if all the guys you want will be there when we pick,  but if so,  I think most here would be quite happy....

Don't think Baltimore will let Ellerbee get away....   with Lewis retiring and this kid blowing up as he is, I can't imagine Baltimore will be willing to lose ***both*** inside linebackers.    But I do like him very, very much.

Keep your list....   and compare it to the other lists you're likely to do over the months to come.    As more information is known, I'm sure you'll adjust some names as we go....

Again,  really nice effort....

That would be a Great off season up to Jenkins. Very overrated, Butler is better.

Pat Angerer is a run only ILB in this D and not good enough at getting off blocks. Make someone a VG 2 down MLB.

1st rd pick. We need a bunch of VG-Excellent players so best available.

Richardson looks like he could turn into one.

Not a big fan of trading down, but based on our FA pickups, I could see there being 3,4,5, guys that Grigs would like and he then could consider moving back a little ways and still get his VG player.

I hope he isn`t satisfied with DBrown as much as I am, so in the 3rd or 4th he might look at a dynamic runner.

Would expect him to be looking hard at a CB or OLB edge rusher in the 3rd/4th.

If he can get Spencer which I would Really LIKE, I would like to see him trade Mathis. Probably dreaming that a contender might give up a mid to late 2nd. Maybe a 3rd. Robert is good but not a part of our contending team in 2-3 years. We need to DEVELOPE depth.

lol on the back end of the draft. Grigs & his Team are on the job. Watch that tape!

Jenkins might be over rated in your books and maybe he isn't the best but he is an upgrade over almost everyone on our roster besides VD. I don't think I need to justify that with the amount of effort Grigson put into trying to pull him away from Dallas this past season. 

I absolutely hate the idea of trading Mathis. One of the very few bright spots on the defense this year along with Freeman and Vontae late in the season. Spencer and Mathis would dominate.

I think you did a good job on this draft.

Grigson might grade out Jenkins over what we have now  (minus Davis) but that's not saying much.  I would rather have somebody better than him if at all possible.  

I would not trade Mathis.  Knowing him, he'll come back next year and be amazing.  

I think you did a good job on this draft.

Grigson might grade out Jenkins over what we have now  (minus Davis) but that's not saying much.  I would rather have somebody better than him if at all possible.  

I would not trade Mathis.  Knowing him, he'll come back next year and be amazing.  

My goal was to be realistic when it comes to FA as well as the draft. Just because we have the $ doesn't mean Grigson is going to go blow it all. I think he has done a great job of taking players that didn't perform well and putting them in a position to succeed at a reasonable price. Jenkins falls under that category for me. I could have easily swapped out Jonathon Banks for Sheldon Richardson in the first...but I feel like DE is a bigger need when I look at the FA pool and the fact that we gave up over 300 yards to KC in a single game lol. But if we got a CB in the first, well...I think my mock would have looked a little different. Thanks for the feedback!

My goal was to be realistic when it comes to FA as well as the draft. Just because we have the $ doesn't mean Grigson is going to go blow it all. I think he has done a great job of taking players that didn't perform well and putting them in a position to succeed at a reasonable price. Jenkins falls under that category for me. I could have easily swapped out Jonathon Banks for Sheldon Richardson in the first...but I feel like DE is a bigger need when I look at the FA pool and the fact that we gave up over 300 yards to KC in a single game lol. But if we got a CB in the first, well...I think my mock would have looked a little different. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm on the Banks bandwagon, so I would have liked either of your picks.

Like someone said above I doubt the ravens lose Ellerbe due to the cap.....Kruger is more likely to be gone IMO.

Wouldn't be that thrilled with Spencer either. He really hasn't been much of a pass rusher until his contract year....6 was his career best previously

I don't see Thomas being there.. he'll be gone no later than 2nd rnd.. he is moving up the list... I have seen a mock where the niners let Gholson go and pick him with their first pick.<br /><br />I'd rather grab DRC or Grimes as a DB FA...<br /><br />I do like Spencer..I think he would be a good fit, IF the price is right..<br /><br />Can't wait to see what Grigs and Raye do here in the next few months<br /><br />

I like this... the only thing I'd change is that I'd like to get better talent at S... either through the draft or FA... maybe we grab Goldson, Chris Clemons, or Kenny Phillips instead of Ellerbe...

Mike Jenkins had an off year and was underutilized , so he might come cheap... there are other FA corners that are better though, IMO

I might do something different with the late picks, but that's just nitpickishness... (nitpickery? nitpicktitude? IDK)....

i like spencer and vasquez but thats about it. were on the verge of signing armon armstaed  6,5 300 lbs de that will likely start opposite redding so richardson wouldn't be a good pick. i still think ss is the weakest position on the defense and matt elam would be a great pick.

Signing Armstead is conditional statement. A lot of teams are trying to sign him, not just us. Also, signing him doesn't mean he's the solution. Richardson would still be a great pick. Redding has missed a lot of playing time already and is no spring chicken. Build for now and for the future. 

SS is a big concern for me as well, but Elam is not a good pick for us unless we traded down to the second round. He's not a first round talent. No SS is this year. That's why getting one that is not far off whether it's Robert Lester in the 3rd or Phillip Thomas in the 4th would be a great add if we don't go after one in free agency.

No way the Ravens let Ellerbe go.  I think getting Ellerbe under contract will be as high or higher priority than Flacco's contract (who they will just franchise if need be).

That maybe, but i'm not the only crazy person who thinks it's a possibility...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/ravens-might-not-be-able-to-keep-paul-kruger-and-dannell-ellerbe/

I like this... the only thing I'd change is that I'd like to get better talent at S... either through the draft or FA... maybe we grab Goldson, Chris Clemons, or Kenny Phillips instead of Ellerbe...

Mike Jenkins had an off year and was underutilized , so he might come cheap... there are other FA corners that are better though, IMO

I might do something different with the late picks, but that's just nitpickishness... (nitpickery? nitpicktitude? IDK)....

hehe it's all good. I like Phillip Thomas a lot. If you've never watched him play, go check out some highlight videos. He had a monster year.

With the speculation that we will have in the neighborhood of about 40-45 MIL to spend in FA and the draft this is a rough idea for FA and some of the needs after the first wave of FA leading into the draft.  Just speculation on the salaries based on some of the current salaries of the top players at each position.  We have not had this much money to spend in a very long time and I wanted to see kinda what 40 MIL would look like with players attached.

FA 

J Bushrod or S Vollmer $6.0MIL

A Levitre $5.0MIL

A Spencer $8.5MIL

D Goldson $7.5MIL

A Cason $3.5MIL

M Jenkins $3.5MIL

P Mcaffee $2.5MIL

F Moala  $3.5MIL

Total on FA = 39.5MIL

Draft

1st  BPA on DL/OLB/WR (Don't kill me on the WR because will need at least 1 if Avery and Collie are gone)

3rd  BPA on OL  Someone to compete at G if not start this season.  (would like to see Ijalana be a beast at RG)

The rest of the picks depends on depth and future replacements.

New Mock and FA (I would not likely do this if I had the chance

1.Xavier Rhodes

3.Ricky Wagner

4.Bacarri Rambo

FA

Anthony Spencer(for the record I think he is more along the lines of the Robert Mathis role and Hughes is good in that role)

Louis Vasquez

William Beatty

Definitly not my favorite mock but just a different idea

New Mock and FA (I would not likely do this if I had the chance

1.Xavier Rhodes

3.Ricky Wagner

4.Bacarri Rambo

FA

Anthony Spencer(for the record I think he is more along the lines of the Robert Mathis role and Hughes is good in that role)

Louis Vasquez

William Beatty

Definitly not my favorite mock but just a different idea

switch Wagner for Brandon Jenkins and Beatty to Levitre and i like it

switch Wagner for Brandon Jenkins and Beatty to Levitre and i like it

Kind of up in the air now because with no O Coordinator its hard to tell what blocking scheme our O Line will be asked to run, I think we will be going back to Zone, as for Jenkins he would be an absolute steal if healthy in the 3rd, he has been in many of my mocks, almost all of them

I really like your projected draft picks. If that were to actually happen, I would be ecstatic. Sheldon Richardson would be a tremendous addition to the d-line. A huge upgrade. Figure in Chapman coming back next year and the D would be set for a major improvement.

I am not a huge fan of the free agent signings. Although a Purdue guy, Anthony Spencer is not worth the money he will command. I would be more interested in Connor Barwin from the Texans. A strong motor guy with a smaller price tag. I would also look at Derek Cox, CB Jaguars and Louis Delmas, Safey Lions. I would be interested to see their price tags. As far as the offensive line, I hope we get the chance to talk with Ryan Clady, the only guy I would be willing to spend the big money on.

I still think DJ Fluker or Barret Jones if they fall to us should be our top picks. I dont think we can fill all the holes we had on the o-line in FA. I think rhodes and elam would be great for our team i just see the o-line as a higher priority gotta protect our golden boy.