Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is your opinion on julian edelman/danny woodhead?

ADayWithoutRain

Good players. Being played to there strengths.

Credit BB and Brady for knowing when where and how to use them.

As for excelling on other teams? Meh. Maybe. But to me it looks like they are being used to there full potential where they are now.

And Edlman can't stay out of the trainers room.

Edelman is a UFA in 2013. The Patriots will likely try to retain him, but yes - he has a pretty extensive injury history and cannot seem to stay on the field. I have no idea if there will be a lot of interest from other teams or not.

Woodhead is also a UFA heading into next season. Although Shane Vereen has a higher upside, I can't see the Patriots letting him go somewhere else, unless some team backs up the Brinks truck for him. (Which is unlikely.) He's not someone who will contribute in every game... he seems to do well in games where more traditional, straight-ahead runners struggle. They'll miss him against Baltimore if he's not able to go Sunday. They're the type of team (big front, not a ton of speed) that he usually gets a lot of touches against.

My bet is that both guys will be back in NE.

Edelman is more valuable on ST and the presence of other offensive options on the field makes him effective as an offensive option.

Without Welker on the field at the same time, Edelman is less effective, goes without saying. He does not have the durability of a Welker, he however has the short area quickness and ability to separate in small spaces.

Woodhead is a very effective 3rd down back, he is OK in picking up blitzes, not a world beater but when he gets a crease, he is very effective in getting chunks of yards downhill. He is probably good for about 10-15 snaps a game consistently, otherwise he will be injured a lot.

Edelman is more valuable on ST and the presence of other offensive options on the field makes him effective as an offensive option.

Without Welker on the field at the same time, Edelman is less effective, goes without saying. He does not have the durability of a Welker, he however has the short area quickness and ability to separate in small spaces.

Woodhead is a very effective 3rd down back, he is OK in picking up blitzes, not a world beater but when he gets a crease, he is very effective in getting chunks of yards downhill. He is probably good for about 10-15 snaps a game consistently, otherwise he will be injured a lot.

Dead-on analysis, as usual Chad. :thmup:

Edelman is a UFA in 2013. The Patriots will likely try to retain him, but yes - he has a pretty extensive injury history and cannot seem to stay on the field. I have no idea if there will be a lot of interest from other teams or not.

Woodhead is also a UFA heading into next season. Although Shane Vereen has a higher upside, I can't see the Patriots letting him go somewhere else, unless some team backs up the Brinks truck for him. (Which is unlikely.) He's not someone who will contribute in every game... he seems to do well in games where more traditional, straight-ahead runners struggle. They'll miss him against Baltimore if he's not able to go Sunday. They're the type of team (big front, not a ton of speed) that he usually gets a lot of touches against.

My bet is that both guys will be back in NE.

What type of salary are they expecting to get this offseason?

What type of salary are they expecting to get this offseason?

Gosh, no idea... Edelman took in around $650K on the last year of his rookie deal. Woodhead was around $900K. My guess is that neither guy is expecting to cash in, but obviously players like these guys (good, not great) follow the money. Someone may overpay for one or the other but the Patriots probably will not!

Some team will over pay for Edelman and Woodhead, it won't be the Patriots and I sure hope it is not the Colts.

Just because we have a lot of $$$ to spend this offseason does not mean we need to throw it around. Personally I think we can find another Edelman in the draft or re-sign Collie, that type of receiver has never been hard for the Colts to find and they always find them for cheap. I don't think woodhead is really the style RB for this offense either, we need a RB that can pick up 3rd and 1. Woodhead has struggled with that all year.

They are not bad players but for the amount of cash it will take the Colts to land them we will never see enough from them to justify it. Just my 2 cents.