Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Video on Upcoming Off-Season....

NewColtsFan

It's on the main page of Colts.com....

It's not long....  less than 5:00....   I always think it's good to hear from The Man himself....  

http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Ryan-Grigson-Offseason-Work/84d1fc5a-5906-4d76-86a3-f5a3b143cbe9

For me, the money quote comes roughly 3:00 in.....   in a nutshell, as he's talking about whether to invest in a Free Agent he says....   "we have to measure bringing a new guy in...  is he really that much better than what we have, because he's going to cost a lot more..."

That's my paraphrase of his comment....   but, taken a listen....

We must spend our cap wisely and not just throw around 30 million dollar contracts to every free agent we can find.I never understood 'why' so many people got excited by free agency(i think because of reggie white).These are high dollar players that rarely workout for their new teams.The majority of them just want the big payday,after their rookie deals are over and then basically call it quits for the next 5-7 years.The 'key' is finding players in free agency that truly love playing football,because these 'types' of players will perform no matter what.I will give an example of(good/bad)free agent pick-ups.

The good:

1.Levitre

2.Long

3.Edelman

4.Woodhead

5.PattyMac

6.Kruger

7.Barwin

8.Welker

The bad:

1.Bushrod

2.Wallace

3.Bowe

The good:

1.Levitre

2.Long

3.Edelman

4.Woodhead

5.PattyMac

6.Kruger

7.Barwin

8.Welker

The bad:

1.Bushrod

2.Wallace

3.Bowe

Um not to imply anything but all the "good" signings have something in common and all the "bad" signings have something else in common.

We must spend our cap wisely and not just throw around 30 million dollar contracts to every free agent we can find.I never understood 'why' so many people got excited by free agency(i think because of reggie white).These are high dollar players that rarely workout for their new teams.The majority of them just want the big payday,after their rookie deals are over and then basically call it quits for the next 5-7 years.The 'key' is finding players in free agency that truly love playing football,because these 'types' of players will perform no matter what.I will give an example of(good/bad)free agent pick-ups.

The good:

1.Levitre

2.Long

3.Edelman

4.Woodhead

5.PattyMac

6.Kruger

7.Barwin

8.Welker

The bad:

1.Bushrod

2.Wallace

3.Bowe

I have seen you list FAs you think we should get a couple of times. Don't share your opinion on many, but I really do not get the fascination with Edelman and Woodhead???  They seem to me to be the typical Patriot "plug and play; roleplayers" the ones who are nothing special, but the Patriots offense (and how Belichick utilizes them within that offense) makes them look better than they really are.  On most any other team you would probably not even know their name. Definitely do not want to see them wasting Colts roster slots.

I have seen you list FAs you think we should get a couple of times. Don't share your opinion on many, but I really do not get the fascination with Edelman and Woodhead???  They seem to me to be the typical Patriot "plug and play; roleplayers" the ones who are nothing special, but the Patriots offense (and how Belichick utilizes them within that offense) makes them look better than they really are.  On most any other team you would probably not even know their name. Definitely do not want to see them wasting Colts roster slots.

They're 'team players',that can perform at a high level at various positions.I think edelman could be a real gem(if he controls himself off the field),because of his ability to do it all.He can play wr,rb,cb,qb and special teams at a high level(well,maybe not qb).This is a type of player we should desire on our roster(similiar to link,who can play multiple o-line positons).We're a team that's often injured...alot.I think players like edelman/woodhead can contribute if need be at any skill position.They also come cheaper than a wallace,bowe,and jackson type players.

1.Levitre-Zone Blocking O Lineman

2.Long-Talented, can probably fit in our Man Blocking scheme but 2 years in a row of missing games do to injury, can he stay healthy? If he can and is then he will cost an arm and a leg(considering he is coming to the end of just his rookie contract), based on his talent alone he is worth a look IF Dolphins release him which I doubt(not saying I'd sign him and I certainly would not break the bank for him

3.Woodhead is a replica of Donald Brown with arguably the same amount of power, Woodhead has just had the far superior O Line to run behind when he has been called upon in his career-donrt need him

4.Edelman-we really dont need another slot wr, we need a tall wr with speed that can go up and get jump balls-dont need him

5.Welker-see #4 plus he is going to be 32 before the start of next season

I'd take Kruger over Barwin for two reasons, 

1.Pagano is familiar with him

2.He has a cool last name 1-2 Krugers comin for you 3-4 he will sack you to

1.Levitre-Zone Blocking O Lineman

2.Long-Talented, can probably fit in our Man Blocking scheme but 2 years in a row of missing games do to injury, can he stay healthy? If he can and is then he will cost an arm and a leg(considering he is coming to the end of just his rookie contract), based on his talent alone he is worth a look IF Dolphins release him which I doubt(not saying I'd sign him and I certainly would not break the bank for him

3.Woodhead is a replica of Donald Brown with arguably the same amount of power, Woodhead has just had the far superior O Line to run behind when he has been called upon in his career-donrt need him

4.Edelman-we really dont need another slot wr, we need a tall wr with speed that can go up and get jump balls-dont need him

5.Welker-see #4 plus he is going to be 32 before the start of next season

I'd take Kruger over Barwin for two reasons, 

1.Pagano is familiar with him

2.He has a cool last name 1-2 Krugers comin for you 3-4 he will sack you to

Those are all valid points gavin.I just like edelman,because of his all around ability.I think he could be our special team's dynamo,plus catch,run and play ocasional DB.I don't think donald brown has a high motor,so i would pick woodhead over him.I also like the kruger pick-up,but how much will he cost?Yes,i'm aware that levitre doesn't quite fit,but he's solid and makes no mistakes,so i would still try to make him fit.He works' so hard.

Question:What's your thoughts' on audie cole?We should've drafted him over fugger,but we can still obtain him cheaply.I really like audie cole and watching him play(small sampling,i know),makes me excited as to what this guy could do,if givin' a shot.

Those are all valid points gavin.I just like edelman,because of his all around ability.I think he could be our special team's dynamo,plus catch,run and play ocasional DB.I don't think donald brown has a high motor,so i would pick woodhead over him.I also like the kruger pick-up,but how much will he cost?Yes,i'm aware that levitre doesn't quite fit,but he's solid and makes no mistakes,so i would still try to make him fit.He works' so hard.

Question:What's your thoughts' on audie cole?We should've drafted him over fugger,but we can still obtain him cheaply.I really like audie cole and watching him play(small sampling,i know),makes me excited as to what this guy could do,if givin' a shot.

I wanted Audie Cole to but he would fit next to Freeman if we did not have Angerer I think(neither are big Linebackers) I could see coaching staff putting him behind Mathis and Hughes but no way would he fit the role of rush Linebacker, basically he would be a special teamer here at this point if we got him but to late anyway, his deal if for 4 years with the Vikings, I think he will fit there Cover 2 scheme better there anyway, hes much more of a roamer and Zone player

The good:

1.Levitre

2.Long

3.Edelman

4.Woodhead

5.PattyMac

6.Kruger

7.Barwin

8.Welker

The bad:

1.Bushrod

2.Wallace

3.Bowe

1. Have you met Bushrod, Wallace or Bowe?

2. What convinces you to believe they are such bad signings?

3. Why doesn't Jake Long's injury concerns, concern you (i actually like/want Long)

4. Adam Levitre would be a guard moving from a zone blocking scheme to a man blocking scheme (Reason for Pause)

5. i like Pat McAfee but to me he's becoming a overrated Punter and Kickoff man. His kickoffs rarely go through the endzone as i've seen many throughout the Playoffs and when has he drastically changed the field position and put the opposition in a tough spot?

Edited by Coltssouth
inappropriate comment

5. i like Pat McAfee but to me he's becoming a overrated Punter and Kickoff man. His kickoffs rarely go through the endzone as i've seen many throughout the Playoffs and when has he drastically changed the field position and put the opposition in a tough spot?
Did you miss his coffin corner punt this year that led to an interception for a TD?

Did you miss his coffin corner punt this year that led to an interception for a TD?

No i saw it but i just feel people want to throw money at a punter with a beautiful personality. I think his greatest contribution to us is on kickoffs and unlike his 1st year returners are given a chance. Seldom do i see this "Boomstick" they keep referring to anymore

3. Why doesn't Jake Long's injury concerns, concern you (i actually like/want Long)

4. Adam Levitre would be a guard moving from a zone blocking scheme to a man blocking scheme (Reason for Pause)

I didn't even notice that till you pointed that out, I just Thought his list was ridiculous. I mean who the heck waste's free agent money on Edelman and Woodhead?

Edited by Coltssouth
edit in quoted content

Don't share your opinion on many, but I really do not get the fascination with Edelman and Woodhead???  They seem to me to be the typical Patriot "plug and play; roleplayers" the ones who are nothing special...

You're correct. And anyone wanting to put either in a Colts uniform is off his or her rocker (and I'd wager were huge Austin Collie fans as well - read into that what you will).

I bet you Jacob Lacey doesn't think Dwayne Bowe is "Bad"

So why do you think he is???

And isn't Bushrod that lineman Freeney knocked into Drew Brees in the SB??? I don't think he is "Bad". Everyone gets beat by Freeney

I think bowe has potential,but strikes me as a quitter after he gets his money(big contract),and i like wallace,but we already have a wallace clone(HILTION),so it makes zero sense to add him at 10 milion a year,when hilton is equally as good.I also believe bushrod has a motor issue that will only get worse with big money thrown at him.

Edelman is an upgrade over collie(just can't stay healhy) or avery in my opinion.I think a core receiving unit of:wayne,hilton and collie/edelman in the slot sounds good to me,plus throw in a healthy whalen.But i do agree,that we need a big body WR with a high motor.

Danny woodhead is a very similiar player to brown,but has a high motor.I see them being equal.

I didn't even notice that till you pointed that out, I just Thought his list was ridiculous. I mean who the heck waste's free agent money on Edelman and Woodhead?

My list is ridiculous exactly how?These are difference makers on the field.Do you remember edelman shoving the ball down our defense's throat(in multiple ways/formations)?How is kruger,barwin,levitre,long,pattymac "ridiculous"?

I highly doubt your post had such intent but your list invites me to believe you're racist.

Easy there hoss.That wasn't my intention at all.I was just thinking of high motor players at the time,but my list just came out kinda' funny.Its quite offensive to be called a racist.

No i saw it but i just feel people want to throw money at a punter with a beautiful personality. I think his greatest contribution to us is on kickoffs and unlike his 1st year returners are given a chance. Seldom do i see this "Boomstick" they keep referring to anymore

He was 5th in punting average this year, 4th among guys with at least 20 punts, only Morestead and Fields were substantially better.  He had the best kickoff average in the NFL at 69.1 yards, a full yard better than Walsh, who was 2nd.  And he had 45 touchbacks on 79 kickoffs, which is 8th in the NFL in TB%, or 5th if you take out guys with fewer than 40 kickoffs.

My list is ridiculous exactly how?These are difference makers on the field.Do you remember edelman shoving the ball down our defense's throat(in multiple ways/formations)?How is kruger,barwin,levitre,long,pattymac "ridiculous"?

You made it ridiculous by putting Edelman, Woodhead, and Welker on it. All 3 are basically the same player and they are completely unnecessary. We already have several smaller speed guys in our offense. Look, Its fine if you like those guys, but to suggest that the Colts need them to improve is.....ridiculous. Im not arguing about the others on your list but yes, you made it ridiculous when you added the 3 I mentioned.

Easy there hoss.That wasn't my intention at all.I was just thinking of high motor players at the time,but my list just came out kinda' funny.Its quite offensive to be called a racist.

Didn't call you a racist just pointing out the inconsistencies in your Good/Bad list

You made it ridiculous by putting Edelman, Woodhead, and Welker on it. All 3 are basically the same player and they are completely unnecessary. We already have several smaller speed guys in our offense. Look, Its fine if you like those guys, but to suggest that the Colts need them to improve is.....ridiculous. Im not arguing about the others on your list but yes, you made it ridiculous when you added the 3 I mentioned.

Which guys are you refering to(collie/whalen/avery)?I think both collie and avery are free agents,so they're not colts...yet,I also think DB is a free agent,if i'm not mistaken.We all know of collies' health issues,and you can also put a giant ? next to DB as well.

He was 5th in punting average this year, 4th among guys with at least 20 punts, only Morestead and Fields were substantially better. He had the best kickoff average in the NFL at 69.1 yards, a full yard better than Walsh, who was 2nd. And he had 45 touchbacks on 79 kickoffs, which is 8th in the NFL in TB%, or 5th if you take out guys with fewer than 40 kickoffs.

Where did those rankings come in to play in the ravens game when i consistently saw Baltimore's kicker putting them through the endzone, whereas jacoby was tearing us a new one. (Don't give him a chance if you're capable)

Where did those rankings come in to play in the ravens game when i consistently saw Baltimore's kicker putting them through the endzone, whereas jacoby was tearing us a new on. (Don't give him a chance if you're capable)

Didn't Jacoby return some from pretty deep?  Maybe my memory is spotty.  In any case, if one bad playoff game was enough to get rid of a guy who performed well the rest of the season, we'd be starting next season with a roster of Luck, Wayne, Allen, Davis, and absolutely nobody else.

Which guys are you refering to(collie/whalen/avery)?I think both collie and avery are free agents,so they're not colts...yet,I also think DB is a free agent,if i'm not mistaken.We all know of collies' health issues,and you can also put a giant ? next to DB as well.

No, Im talking about Hilton, Brazill, and I do think we'll resign Avery. Then we will have Whalen come back too. DB still has a yr. left on his contract. There are obvious needs on this team and WR/RB are not one of them(not even close). If the Colts were going to add to those positions(and I would almost guarantee they won't), they won't add guys that are just like the guys we already have on the roster. 

Didn't Jacoby return some from pretty deep? Maybe my memory is spotty. In any case, if one bad playoff game was enough to get rid of a guy who performed well the rest of the season, we'd be starting next season with a roster of Luck, Wayne, Allen, Davis, and absolutely nobody else.

You forgot Mathis. He played well in Baltimore. Him & Davis were the bright spots on Defense. They stood out the most in that game

Didn't Jacoby return some from pretty deep? Maybe my memory is spotty. In any case, if one bad playoff game was enough to get rid of a guy who performed well the rest of the season, we'd be starting next season with a roster of Luck, Wayne, Allen, Davis, and absolutely nobody else.

I'd have to go back and watch the game on jacoby's returns but i know we had minimal to no chance on KOs bc they were through the endzone. Isn't Pat capable of this, if so do it

No, Im talking about Hilton, Brazill, and I do think we'll resign Avery. Then we will have Whalen come back too. DB still has a yr. left on his contract. There are obvious needs on this team and WR/RB are not one of them(not even close). If the Colts were going to add to those positions(and I would almost guarantee they won't), they won't add guys that are just like the guys we already have on the roster. 

I forgot about brazill,to be honest(he does have potential),and i also like avery,but no way i'll pay more than 2 mil a yr for him.Does donald have a yr left on his deal?I thought he didn't?

I forgot about brazill,to be honest(he does have potential),and i also like avery,but no way i'll pay more than 2 mil a yr for him.Does donald have a yr left on his deal?I thought he didn't?

I wouldn't pay much for Avery either, but he showed he still has the skills that made him a 2nd rd. pick. Yes, Brown is under contract through 2013.

I wouldn't pay much for Avery either, but he showed he still has the skills that made him a 2nd rd. pick. Yes, Brown is under contract through 2013.

I'm not comfortable with him(avery)being our number 2.I prefer to slide hilton over there.So if we move hilton there,then where does avery fit?I don't think he fits the slot,so i guess maybe just a back-up.

I'm not comfortable with him(avery)being our number 2.I prefer to slide hilton over there.So if we move hilton there,then where does avery fit?I don't think he fits the slot,so i guess maybe just a back-up.

Im fine with Avery as our number 2. Im convinced that when we get a good o-line that Luck will be able to sit in the pocket and pick teams apart. He'll be able to make more accurate throws and routes will have more time to develop. Im not worried about our receivers at all as long as we upgrade the o-line.