Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's legacy is a done deal now - Greatest only in regular season

tonychen

Flacco's rating was 26 points better. The 'INT' made all the difference.

Re 'clutch', you might find out one day when you draft or trade a decent QB. Or better still, watch more Colts games next season....

Chandler Harnish has the clutch gene? But he doesn't play, why would I watch more Colts games.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were stealing signs during the game. That is against the rules. Fact

False. Stealing signs during the game is common practice, that's why coaches cover their mouths when calling plays. What WAS against the rules, was where the cameras were filming from. 

But again, and I always found this odd about Colts fans trying to make the Spygate argument: Colts fans spent so much time over the years claiming that Brady did nothing to win those Superbowls...it was all defense and all Vinatieri. But if Spygate was about filming defensive signals (meaning it would help the Patriots offense and therefor, Brady) then arent you in turn saying that Spygate was a whole bunch of nothing since Brady did nothing to win those games?

There's a disconnect with the logic when opposing fans are trying to make a case against Brady and undermine/discredit him in one argument, then turning around and trying to put added emphasis on the advantage gained from filming defensive signals in another argument. The logic doesnt add up.

Teams don't score 15 points in garbage time. . Our offense didn't help things out by sputtering too often, either.

Yes they do see: Colts vs Patriots 2011.

>Say what you will but if our defense was capable of making even a few stops then the score would have been even closer

And if our receivers would have been able to catch passes then we would have played the Broncos last Sunday, but what happens happens.

A very nice piece of prose there. Essentially, your central thesis is this: Manning has gotten a pass for his playoff losses for far too long. [His MVP Awards shielded Manning from much of any post season criticism due to his spectacular regular season numbers, game victories, & consecutive division titles.] His field general counterpart Brady, on the other hand, flourishes under any less than perfect weather conditions, gets a lead, usually keeps it, & moves on to the next Dec. & Jan. Playoff round.

It does make you wonder if Peyton's fate would have been different as a member of the 49ers vs the Packers though. Would the results have been the same or not? Even if you hypothetically carried over 2 picks in that game, could #18 have won that game playing in the NFC as opposed to the AFC? Man, Atlanta is so overrated to me...They are not going to the SB...Sorry TE Tony Gonsalez...You deserve to go out on top, but sadly you won't. 

Peyton can certainly rebound next year in Denver, but Brady is a proven clutch commodity right now. If Brady loses to the Ravens does that change anything for Brady? Not really. Ray Lewis is carrying that team right now as an emotional NFL martyr. Brady doesn't lose late in the year. The colder, wetter, & bitter it gets outside...The better Tom plays. This next year, with so much on the line for Peyton, SB or bust wise will be Manning toughest NFL year. Legacies will be molded, shaped, or shattered for his  longterm  NFL solidarity & reputation. Can #18 bring home the bling of a new ring or not? Fade to black...

I agree. Brady's legacy is secure no matter what. If he wins Sunday he will have twice as many post-season wins as Manning and just about half as many losses. Also, here is an interesting stat about the Pats offensive and defensive ranks the years they have gone to the SB with Brady. I have also included this year in case they win Sunday. You will see that only in 2003 did the Pats defense outrank its offense and these last two years Brady and the O have completely carried a well below average defense. So many people think Brady was carried by his defense even during his championship years but that could not be more false. He always had a bend don't break defense save for 2003. He never had a Ravens or Steelers type defense and certainly these last two years he has carried the very worst defense of all the playoff teams into the post-season and into the SB last year and possibly again this year.

Offensive and defensive rank of patriot teams that made SB:

2001 - Def. ranked 24;  Off. ranked 19

2003 - Def. ranked 7;  Off. ranked 17

2004 - Def. ranked 9;  Off. ranked 7

2007 - Def. ranked 4 ;  Off. ranked 1

2011 - Def. ranked 31;  Off. ranked 2

2012 - Def. ranked 25 ; Off. ranked 1 (only relevant if Pats win Sunday)

For everyone who is blaming the safety for giving up the TD bomb, Stop it! The game didn't end then. There was a whole extra quarter of football. The Broncos D, in over time, shut the Ravens offense down, that is, until Peyton threw a horrible pick which pretty much set the Ravens in field goal range.

It's not like the ravens got the ball first in over time and drove down the field and scored the game winning touchdown with out Manning having a chance. Manning had plenty of chances in over time. He just unfortunately had a bad quarter.

For everyone who is blaming the safety for giving up the TD bomb, Stop it! The game didn't end then. There was a whole extra quarter of football. The Broncos D, in over time, shut the Ravens offense down, that is, until Peyton threw a horrible pick which pretty much set the Ravens in field goal range.

It's not like the ravens got the ball first in over time and drove down the field and scored the game winning touchdown with out Manning having a chance. Manning had plenty of chances in over time. He just unfortunately had a bad quarter.

and also for me regarding the safety, I am not so sure if you can throw all of the blame on him too for that last play, altho he might of done better . . .

what is not talked about is the fact that Bolden was running a deep post and was inside of the other CB, so the safety had to stay home for a second or two to honor Bolden otherwise he would of been one on one on a deep post inside of the CB (so the safety needed to provide top help here) . . . and also the Ravens WR stopped and then ran again, another reason why the safety hesitated becuase the WR did . . .

either way you look at that last play there were three DBs and two WR down field and the math comes out to one guy is going to be single covered and the other will be double covered . . . if you double one too soon, the QB just throws it too the single covered guy which in tis case would of been Bolden . . .

Also, those Hail Mary's happen like once in 15 tries, and as luck would have it teh ravens got three in the game . . .

Had bolden not been runnnig down the field i would be a lot more upset at the safety . . .

perhaps Denver should of had 4 guys deep . . .

and also for me regarding the safety, I am not so sure if you can throw all of the blame on him too for that last play, altho he might of done better . . .

what is not talked about is the fact that Bolden was running a deep post and was inside of the other CB, so the safety had to stay home for a second or two to honor Bolden otherwise he would of been one on one on a deep post inside of the CB (so the safety needed to provide top help here) . . . and also the Ravens WR stopped and then ran again, another reason why the safety hesitated becuase the WR did . . .

either way you look at that last play there were three DBs and two WR down field and the math comes out to one guy is going to be single covered and the other will be double covered . . . if you double one too soon, the QB just throws it too the single covered guy which in tis case would of been Bolden . . .

Also, those Hail Mary's happen like once in 15 tries, and as luck would have it teh ravens got three in the game . . .

Had bolden not been runnnig down the field i would be a lot more upset at the safety . . .

perhaps Denver should of had 4 guys deep . . .

The team showed no awareness of game situation. using 3 DBs for a desperation moment is simply ridiculous.

Well if you are a Houston fan maybe you shouldn't bang on a guy who is far superior to any garbage qb the Texans/oilers have ever had

Right, because of the fact that we don't have a playoff underperforming QB who won't ever be truly considered the best of all time means we can't criticize where we see fit like everybody else does. Right.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2013 - baiting
Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2013 - baiting
Right, because of the fact that we don't have a playoff underperforming QB who won't ever be truly considered the best of all time means we can't criticize where we see fit like everybody else does. Right.
That's right. Peyton has a ring.. How many do all Houston qbs combined have?

A Houston fan bagging on Peyton is like a turd bagging on a sunset

I think the key to the Texans is to improve your playoff seeding and try to have more playoff games at home. With Johnson aging the team is depending on the running game more than they ever did, and it's better keep more things under control. Better hurry up since Andrew Luck will take over the AFC south in 1-2 yrs.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2013 - response to baiting
Hidden by Superman, January 17, 2013 - response to baiting
That's right. Peyton has a ring.. How many do all Houston qbs combined have?

A Houston fan bagging on Peyton is like a turd bagging on a sunset

Again...underperforming QB lol. And that analogy makes no darn sense. At all. We can bag like everybody else does. I'm sorry, but your Golden Boy is to be blamed. He's not free of sin, despite what you think.

I think the key to the Texans is to improve your playoff seeding and try to have more playoff games at home. With Johnson aging the team is depending on the running game more than they ever did, and it's better keep more things under control. Better hurry up since Andrew Luck will take over the AFC south in 1-2 yrs.

We will be drafting a complementary wide receiver or two I'm sure. We're already loaded on defense but we could use a LB or Corner too in free agency or the Draft. I think it's going to take more than a year or two for 12 to make the next step but we'll just have to wait and see.

Right...wouldn't expect anything less from you. One more TD and the game would have been within one score. I would indeed call that a comeback, especially considering the score went from 31-13 to 38-28...do the math.

I agree with you. I was sitting on the edge of my chair a little until the Ninkovich INT. The Texans fell short but they didn't just roll over.

I agree with you. I was sitting on the edge of my chair a little until the Ninkovich INT. The Texans fell short but they didn't just roll over.

Agreed.

The game wasn't anything at all like the Pats/Broncos game earlier this season. Even during the Broncos' "comeback" in that game, I never felt an ounce of tension.

Until Schaub threw that INT to Ninko, I was on edge. After that, I could relax.

Agreed.

The game wasn't anything at all like the Pats/Broncos game earlier this season. Even during the Broncos' "comeback" in that game, I never felt an ounce of tension.

Really? I was much more worried about Peyton coming back than Schaub. I felt the game was over once the Pats came out and scored on te first possession of the third quarter to go up 11. You could see all the life go out of the Texans at that point. Once the pats got up 38-13 they went into prevent.

Agreed.

The reason you feel differently is only because it's a playoff elimination game trust me.

Except that's a stupid comparison because the 'pumping in crowd noise' complaint turned out to be nothing. Spygate DID happen, and the fact is, the Patriots haven't won the Superbowl since the story broke.

Now with that said, I don't think throwing that line out there is quite the 'trump card' many opposing fans think it is. It's hard to win in this league, and you simply cant win every year. The Patriots have a chance to get back to their third Superbowl in the 6 years since Spygate broke, and hopefully this time they can silence the spygate clingers once and for all.

There was never any proof that Spygate actually lead to an advantage. Zero. Zip. Nada. BB was asked by Kraft on a scale of 1 to 100 how much spygate helped and BB said 1. You should know this.

There was never any proof that Spygate actually lead to an advantage. Zero. Zip. Nada. BB was asked by Kraft on a scale of 1 to 100 how much spygate helped and BB said 1. You should know this.

Still the fact that Pats have not won a SB since the spygate thing and the two SB losses were all down to the last drive might mean that this "1" was sth. determining the outcome of the game :number1:

Still the fact that Pats have not won a SB since the spygate thing and the two SB losses were all down to the last drive might mean that this "1" was sth. determining the outcome of the game :number1:

I don't know why Kraft didn't start with zero lol maybe he knew something  :stir:

I don't know why Kraft didn't start with zero lol maybe he knew something  :stir:

For all their efforts put into the taping it should at least get some edge... Belichick generally doesn't waste his time on useless things. :)

At least the team could feel more prepared mentally maybe :rock:

Sure they blew it but they also gave him 3 chances to drive only for a FG to win.

Keep in mind, there was a missed FG during the game. Really bad. The kicker kicked the turf/dirt, remember? I mentioned on another post, the fact the ST made 2 TDs also kept Denver's Offense off the field. Either way, Peyton should not have been in the position to throw that pick at the end. The game should have been won already.

Keep in mind, there was a missed FG during the game. Really bad. The kicker kicked the turf/dirt, remember? I mentioned on another post, the fact the ST made 2 TDs also kept Denver's Offense off the field. Either way, Peyton should not have been in the position to throw that pick at the end. The game should have been won already.

If he had not had three TOs that led to 17 points he could have kept himself out of losing. And if you recal, after the first ST score, the Ravens did nothing with the ball and punted back. It was that drive that Manning threw the pick six. Imagine if right there he led the team down for a score and they are up 14-0? Completely different game. That pick six changed the whole flow of the game and gave the Ravens life.

And I don't about you, but you spot a HoF QB two special teams scores and I am thinking blow out all the way. 14 points. Bam. And then given right back on the pick six and bomb play.

For all their efforts put into the taping it should at least get some edge... Belichick generally doesn't waste his time on useless things. :)

At least the team could feel more prepared mentally maybe :rock:

It is tiring that the only judging stick for spygate is a ring. Do you realize the Pats have a higher winning percentage after spygate than before? Do you also realize that both Brady and Billichick have won league MVP and coach of the year TWICE since spygate? They also set the NFL record for most points in 2007 and set the third most this year?  If they go back to the Bowl, they will be the only duo to go to SIX SBs. I mean it's not like the SBs to the Giants were blow outs. They were close just like the ones they won.

Missing FGs is also part of a game. If you really think your super hero should never be put in the position, for three times, to prove his greatness by moving the chain for 30-40 yards and let his kicker finish the game, I guess you should really ask yourself how much you really trust your greatest-of-all-time.

It is tiring that the only judging stick for spygate is a ring. Do you realize the Pats have a higher winning percentage after spygate than before? Do you also realize that both Brady and Billichick have won league MVP and coach of the year TWICE since spygate? They also set the NFL record for most points in 2007 and set the third most this year?  If they go back to the Bowl, they will be the only duo to go to SIX SBs. I mean it's not like the SBs to the Giants were blow outs. They were close just like the ones they won were.

I was just kidding. And that "1" was not an significant edge over a "0" :)

And to be strict to both Manning and Brady, let not talk about regular season MVPs.

It is tiring that the only judging stick for spygate is a ring. Do you realize the Pats have a higher winning percentage after spygate than before? Do you also realize that both Brady and Billichick have won league MVP and coach of the year TWICE since spygate? They also set the NFL record for most points in 2007 and set the third most this year? If they go back to the Bowl, they will be the only duo to go to SIX SBs. I mean it's not like the SBs to the Giants were blow outs. They were close just like the ones they won.

Were only going by the standard you pats fans set.. Super bowls are the end all.. No rings since gate

but how can one blame a guy named "18manning" for his blind love on Manning?

If he had not had three TOs that led to 17 points he could have kept himself out of losing. And if you recal, after the first ST score, the Ravens did nothing with the ball and punted back. It was that drive that Manning threw the pick six. Imagine if right there he led the team down for a score and they are up 14-0? Completely different game. That pick six changed the whole flow of the game and gave the Ravens life.

And I don't about you, but you spot a HoF QB two special teams scores and I am thinking blow out all the way. 14 points. Bam. And then given right back on the pick six and bomb play.

I already went through this stuff on another post. I don't have time to argue my point again, but the game was lost on the "bomb play". As I said in a previous post, and this will be the only time I'll reference that again (I'm tired of arguing the/my point). If you could some how magically go through the entire game and assign some kind of value to fault for the loss, where do you honestly think Manning would stand in his fault value? How many mistakes did you see Manninig make during the game? How many mistakes were made by D? What key player(s) came out of the game to effect a change? The biggest play everyone is pointing to is the pick in double OT. What about the defense not performing as it had all season? What about the missed FG? What about Moreno getting injured? What about the big bomb at the end? They shouldn't have been in the position to throw a pick.

Missing FGs is also part of a game. If you really think your super hero should never be put in the position, for three times, to prove his greatness by moving the chain for 30-40 yards and let his kicker finish the game, I guess you should really ask yourself how much you really trust your greatest-of-all-time.

Boy you people that don't like Manning REALLY DON'T LIKE MANNING. Just because my avatar is a picture of Manning and I use the 18Manning as my name, doesn't make him my "super hero". I trust him completely. Let me guess, you're a Brady fan? Some other QB fan? Are you jealous your QB isn't talked about as a GOAT? Well, talk to the media about that. Don't cry to me...

I already went through this stuff on another post. I don't have time to argue my point again, but the game was lost on the "bomb play". As I said in a previous post, and this will be the only time I'll reference that again (I'm tired of arguing the/my point). If you could some how magically go through the entire game and assign some kind of value to fault for the loss, where do you honestly think Manning would stand in his fault value? How many mistakes did you see Manninig make during the game? How many mistakes were made by D? What key player(s) came out of the game to effect a change? The biggest play everyone is pointing to is the pick in double OT. What about the defense not performing as it had all season? What about the missed FG? What about Moreno getting injured? What about the big bomb at the end? They shouldn't have been in the position to throw a pick.

He was not put in the position to throw the pick. Contrarily he was on the way to drive his team down the field for a game-winning TD and nobody would ever talk about his mistakes and instead he'd be praised as the greatest of all time for an entire week before meeting the Pats. Even on that very play he had one WR on top that was open and his target Stokley open, and nobody was near him to bring him down. He made a bad throw. That's it.