Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

tonight proves colts made best decision

danlhart87

All these threads about manning for one should not be in the colts forum. For two people soon forget what manning dis for this team. Without him we'd all be rooting for the LA colts. No superbowl ring. No continued success for 10+ years. Get over yourselves. And stop flooding the forum with this crap

This was about Luck, and the decision. It is in the correct place, but got somewhat hijacked. Go easy on the slack words though. It's like someone saying you should change your user name to 'canbestopped'...not nice.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lengths that some go to to defend Manning, well im just gonna leave it at that.

The fact is that Manning made another bad throw in crunch time and cost the Bronco's the game. Sure their defense was terrible, but they had the chance to win till Manning throws the pick. I'll tell ya this too, I sure don't miss that sourpuss face of Manning's everytime he goes one and done in the playoffs to inferior teams.

The Ravens D had a little something to do with that. They were getting to Manning a lot and his mistakes came as a result of pressure. The Broncos D was not getting a lot of heat on Flacco there you go. In today's NFL generally speaking the team that gets to the other teams QB more wins.

With that said it was still a rookie mistake by Manning. It's not okay but he should have never been in that spot to start with. It doesn't make the INT okay but people need to not lose sight of the Broncos refusing to adjust their defense and letting the Ravens keep beating them over the top. It's time people in this league start to respect Flacco's ability to go down the field. He's killing teams with it.

You could say the Ravens should not have been in that position. The Broncos were essentially spotted 14 easy points by Holiday.

Basically just puzzled with the poor clock management by the Broncos. I think of our season and how many times we took shots with a minute or less to score with a rookie qb. Why would you not with one of the greatest qb's ever? I don't really recall any shots/throws down the field at all(could of been the pressure manning was under though). I have thought at times the Manning's throws this year looked weak and the one that Stokely grabbed off the ground showed that pretty well. Sadly the across the body throw made it painfully obvious where he stands. Not gonna dog Peyton as I have been watching him since his days at Tennesee, just sad to see what all this has come to. I agree that anyone who is happy that this transpired should probably find better priorities in life because I cannot imagine another athelete who has meant more and done more for a team/city than #18. I truly hope Peyton grabs another SB win as it will die down some of the chatter from the mindless talking heads, but at this point I just don't know.

Basically just puzzled with the poor clock management by the Broncos. I think of our season and how many times we took shots with a minute or less to score with a rookie qb. Why would you not with one of the greatest qb's ever? 

Because John Fox doesn't coach to win, he coaches not to lose.

I was a Peyton fan when he was a COLT, now that he is a Bronco he is the enemy !! When he sign's his one day contract to retire as a COLT I will be his fan again!! I agree with the post, Luck is the now and future of the Colts along with all of the last draft class. I appreciate everything Peyton has done for the COLTS and the state, but that's all over now. I am a COLTS fan not a fan of individuals, I will give them respect as a COLT but when they move on so do I..Next Man UP !!!

Basically just puzzled with the poor clock management by the Broncos. I think of our season and how many times we took shots with a minute or less to score with a rookie qb. Why would you not with one of the greatest qb's ever? I don't really recall any shots/throws down the field at all(could of been the pressure manning was under though). I have thought at times the Manning's throws this year looked weak and the one that Stokely grabbed off the ground showed that pretty well. Sadly the across the body throw made it painfully obvious where he stands. Not gonna dog Peyton as I have been watching him since his days at Tennesee, just sad to see what all this has come to. I agree that anyone who is happy that this transpired should probably find better priorities in life because I cannot imagine another athelete who has meant more and done more for a team/city than #18. I truly hope Peyton grabs another SB win as it will die down some of the chatter from the mindless talking heads, but at this point I just don't know.

I agree.  I've been a Manning fan since his days at TN also.  I went to an SEC school while he was at TN so I got to watch him torch my team a couple of times.  I'm not happy that he lost, especially the way that they lost.  But watching that game brought back the painful memories of all of the one-and-done Colts teams with Manning at the helm.  Whether the loses were Manning's fault or not, he seemed to play his worst games during the playoffs and since he was the QB the win-loss record does go on him.  Unfortunately, that's how QBs are measured.  Terry Bradshaw gets credit for winning 4 Superbowls even though he wasn't the main reason that they won those. 

I hope Manning never wins another Superbowl because that's one less Superbowl the Colts can win!

Next time you go to a game at Lucas Oil, be sure to thank "the enemy" as it damn sure wouldn't be here if he hadn't been, lol.

Not this load of old bull again...please do me a favour and stop making up stuff. He'll be one of our favourite players of all time, but this is just fantasy. You forgot to mention the LA Colts...

Whatever you say dude....Ok we draft Ryan Leaf...We win a Super Bowl? We stay in Indy? We get a new stadium? That's all I'm saying, to act like Peyton had nothing to do with that is simply ignoring what went on here the last 10years or so.

I was a Peyton fan when he was a COLT, now that he is a Bronco he is the enemy !! When he sign's his one day contract to retire as a COLT I will be his fan again!! I agree with the post, Luck is the now and future of the Colts along with all of the last draft class. I appreciate everything Peyton has done for the COLTS and the state, but that's all over now. I am a COLTS fan not a fan of individuals, I will give them respect as a COLT but when they move on so do I..Next Man UP !!!

Right there with you!

I agree with many of the points presented by these various posters; however, I can't help but feel a little frustrated over the general tone of the board. It's beginning to feel as though many of us Colts fans are terribly insecure about our team. That is the only conceivable reason to explain why we constantly have all of the Manning and RG3 bashing. It is soo beyond unnecessary. Ultimately, I do believe the Colts came out of this looking very intelligent. Regardless of fault, Manning again fails to advance past the divisional round and sure enough RG3 goes down with the second significant knee injury of his carreer. The tone of the board suggests we are happy about both of those things, which is a bit disturbing to me as a fan of sport in general and the philosophy of becoming the best by beating the best. I am and will always be a Colts fan. I am thrilled to have Luck at the helm. With that being said, I was absolutely cheering for Peyton to win yesterday given that the Colts were already eliminated. Why though, do people have to use this as an opportunity to bash Peyton. He did make myriad contributions to the Colts AND the city of Indianapolis. He will go down as an all time great Colt. There is no reason to take pleasure in his shortcomings. Let's just live in the moment and enjoy what we have without maintaining this insecure mentality of, "Oh I already loved my new car, but now I like it even more because the person I sold my old one to got in an accident." And just for RG3, "I also like my new car more because the other one I was thinking of buying has a recall on its engine."

My sentiments too. I have been a Colts (Baltimore and now Indy) fan

for over forty years. Peyton is part of a very good past Colts era. now he is gone and it is time us to root for this era team.

Manning made a bad decision, it happens.<br /><br />Denver's D fell apart and Flacco ripped them a new one.<br /><br />Yes Peyton probably should of took the sack and punted the ball, but as you all see with Luck, Griffin, Rodgers and even Kaepernick, you try and make something out of nothing.<br /><br />Hell, if Champ Bailey didn't look like a deer in the headlights the whole game, things might of been different. If Denver didn't give up that long TD at the end of regulation, Denver goes on to win. Not everything can be tied to Peyton. The day he starts playing defense, he can be looked at it's all his fault.

I agree with many of the points presented by these various posters; however, I can't help but feel a little frustrated over the general tone of the board. It's beginning to feel as though many of us Colts fans are terribly insecure about our team. That is the only conceivable reason to explain why we constantly have all of the Manning and RG3 bashing. It is soo beyond unnecessary. Ultimately, I do believe the Colts came out of this looking very intelligent. Regardless of fault, Manning again fails to advance past the divisional round and sure enough RG3 goes down with the second significant knee injury of his carreer. The tone of the board suggests we are happy about both of those things, which is a bit disturbing to me as a fan of sport in general and the philosophy of becoming the best by beating the best. I am and will always be a Colts fan. I am thrilled to have Luck at the helm. With that being said, I was absolutely cheering for Peyton to win yesterday given that the Colts were already eliminated. Why though, do people have to use this as an opportunity to bash Peyton. He did make myriad contributions to the Colts AND the city of Indianapolis. He will go down as an all time great Colt. There is no reason to take pleasure in his shortcomings. Let's just live in the moment and enjoy what we have without maintaining this insecure mentality of, "Oh I already loved my new car, but now I like it even more because the person I sold my old one to got in an accident." And just for RG3, "I also like my new car more because the other one I was thinking of buying has a recall on its engine."

Post of the year material right here.

Outstanding post!!! Anyone with an iota of objectivity in their mind has to like this post!!!

I did not jump for joy when Brady went down for the season in 2008, I honestly did not!!! I refuse to roll that way with RG3 or Peyton similarly!!!

Whatever you say dude....Ok we draft Ryan Leaf...We win a Super Bowl? We stay in Indy? We get a new stadium? That's all I'm saying, to act like Peyton had nothing to do with that is simply ignoring what went on here the last 10years or so.

You are mixing up your hypothesis' I'm afraid. You are speculating that if we took Leaf over Peyton, we would not have been successful? If, in all likelihood Leaf never worked, would we not have ended up with another good QB? Do you know this for sure? There have been dozens who could have led us to success since we drafted Manning. We may even have picked up Brady before the Patriots (urghh).

Peyton will always be one of my all time favourite sportsmen (all sports), but this 'he build our city' nonesense is taking fandom to new heights of idol worship. I bet Peyton himself would cringe at this very notion.

And 'dude', as a salutation is rather....well.......you know.

I think the season long bash fest on Luck by supposed "Colts" fans has a little to do with the bashing you are now seeing in response. Some of it is not bashing either, he turned the ball over 3 times leading to 17 points. The criticism is valid. I don't think it has much of anything to do with insecurity, i just think some people got sick of listening to how terrible Luck was and how Manning was a lock to win a superbowl now that he was on a "real" team. And most of these people were bandwagon Broncos fan who were stil pretending to be Colts fans on here which makes it worse. I loved Manning, look at my screenname, his number is in it. But i found myself not caring one bit if they won it all this year just because of the nonsense i seen from certain people here and in the media.

Well said, on many levels. It should also be noted that many (including myself), were hoping that Manning could win it all, but pointing out his very poor 'eight and done' record is merely highlighting some factual evidence that is unavoidable. Wearing blinders doesn't work for some people.

There are a very few on here who are bashing or rejoicing in this lastest loss. In fact, there are just as many posters on here who were hoping Manning would win it all so they could rub Irsay's nose in the dirt and say 'we told you so', which I feel could be the catalyst for some of the comments.

Finally, you say people shouldn't bash Peyton for what he's done, yet you bash people for having an opinion that differs from yours. Not find that kind of contradictory or ironic?

And finally finally, I think this defeat will make this a better forum once all this angst has been released and we move on.  

In crunch time Manning threw a pick. It's happened before in a playoff game in crunch time. It happens to all of them and future hall of famers like Brady too. Manning's misqueues cost 17 points. That's a lot of points. Their defense gave up way too many points to the Ravens too. Bottom line, Manning should have played better being a future hall of famer and the best player on the field. If you would ask him he would tell you he let the team down and will take blame for the loss. He tried to squeeze that ball into an older player who has been around a LONG time and been on many teams and is not as good as he was (Stokely) but Manning should have NEVER tried it. John Fox also screwed things up too and for God's sake, how can the inept Jack Del Rio be the D-coordinator and whiff so horribly bad. Del Rio is to blame but not as much as Manning.

Well said, on many levels. It should also be noted that many (including myself), were hoping that Manning could win it all, but pointing out his very poor 'eight and done' record is merely highlighting some factual evidence that is unavoidable. Wearing blinders doesn't work for some people.

There are a very few on here who are bashing or rejoicing in this lastest loss. In fact, there are just as many posters on here who were hoping Manning would win it all so they could rub Irsay's nose in the dirt and say 'we told you so', which I feel could be the catalyst for some of the comments.

Finally, you say people shouldn't bash Peyton for what he's done, yet you bash people for having an opinion that differs from yours. Not find that kind of contradictory or ironic?

And finally finally, I think this defeat will make this a better forum once all this angst has been released and we move on.  

There is no doubt about that. There were without doubt a few posters here that were just chomping at the bit hoping Manning would win it all just to bash Irsay one more time. 

Watching Denver at times this year I never thought Peyton looked like the same Peyton to me. Of course he did well, very well at times I cannot deny this. I don't see the same arm though and I am stunned at times so many deny this......

I watched a lot of Manning this year and I thought his accuracy was as good as ever , but there is very little arm left there. His arm strength took a big hit in 2010 and eveidently it was not the problem with the neck that caused it because it ceratinly is not stronger now. What surprises me as much as people denying that is the belief by many that he would have 4-5 good years left. That is just so atypical for NFL QB's. When they reach 37-38 years old , it normally means the end . I would look for Manning to have one more solid year and proably hang it up . Eveyone talks about cold weather , how about if it were windy yesterday ?

You are mixing up your hypothesis' I'm afraid. You are speculating that if we took Leaf over Peyton, we would not have been successful? If, in all likelihood Leaf never worked, would we not have ended up with another good QB? Do you know this for sure? There have been dozens who could have led us to success since we drafted Manning. We may even have picked up Brady before the Patriots (urghh).

Peyton will always be one of my all time favourite sportsmen (all sports), but this 'he build our city' nonesense is taking fandom to new heights of idol worship. I bet Peyton himself would cringe at this very notion.

And 'dude', as a salutation is rather....well.......you know.

Thanks for you in-depth deconstruction of my argument which proved nothing..Sure we would have drafted a good qb, if Leaf hadn't panned out, since our draft record for qb's was so good before and after lol. I am glad you can speak for Peyton as well since in "America's Game" from our Super Bowl year they admitted they(I guess Peyton is included in that a little huh?) turned Indy from a basketball town to a football town. I'm not gonna argue about this as it is pointless, and was excited to see our team go away from putting the praise/blame on one guy to actually wanting to put together a team. I give up, you win, Peyton Manning had nothing to do with the Colts success(regular season anyway) and a new stadium.

Manning made a bad decision, it happens.<br /><br />Denver's D fell apart and Flacco ripped them a new one.<br /><br />Yes Peyton probably should of took the sack and punted the ball, but as you all see with Luck, Griffin, Rodgers and even Kaepernick, you try and make something out of nothing.<br /><br />Hell, if Champ Bailey didn't look like a deer in the headlights the whole game, things might of been different. If Denver didn't give up that long TD at the end of regulation, Denver goes on to win. Not everything can be tied to Peyton. The day he starts playing defense, he can be looked at it's all his fault.

If Balt didn't give up two return touchdowns to Holiday, then maybe the Ravens win decisively.

Point is the loss wasn't purely on Peyton's shoulders.
But the Quarterback position is paramount. So when you have "the greatest QB of all time" and all you need for him to do is drive the field to get in field goal range and he throws an interception at horrible field position... How is it not his fault? It was horrible. Just like when Manning threw the pick 6 in the Super Bowl.

The special teams even spotted Manning 14 points. Also in over time, which is like a new game, the defense stopped the Ravens for the whole quarter. The Highly paid QB for the Broncos couldn't even get in field goal position.

I am a die hard Colts fan and I love Manning. Grew up watching him play. I didn't even want us to cut him. I wanted us to trade the pick away. And I have been super critical of Luck. But now that I can see Manning play for another team i can view him objectively and I have to say he isn't THAT great. I'm glad Irsay made the decision.

I was rooting for the Ravens and told my girlfriend to watch Manning throw an interception and he did. He did it for the Colts now watch him do it again.

And the Colts teams were not bad teams which Manning glued together. I'm tired of people saying that the broncos is the best team he has been on.

Thanks for you in-depth deconstruction of my argument which proved nothing..Sure we would have drafted a good qb, if Leaf hadn't panned out, since our draft record for qb's was so good before and after lol. I am glad you can speak for Peyton as well since in "America's Game" from our Super Bowl year they admitted they(I guess Peyton is included in that a little huh?) turned Indy from a basketball town to a football town. I'm not gonna argue about this as it is pointless, and was excited to see our team go away from putting the praise/blame on one guy to actually wanting to put together a team. I give up, you win, Peyton Manning had nothing to do with the Colts success(regular season anyway) and a new stadium.

You are most welcome...and gracious. Welcome to the Forum btw....I'm sure there will be plenty 'current' Colts stuff we will agree upon soon.

The INT by Manning was obviously what ultimately did Denver in but at the same time it should never have gotten to that point. Giving up a bomb TD with barely a minute to go in the game against prevent defense is inexcusable.

The blame goes all around for that team. The defense was horrid pretty much all game, the offense didnt score enough points and the coaching was painfully conservative at the end of the game. Just not a good game by the Broncos in general.

Its impossible to tell how Luck will be in the playoffs. He didnt seem like a shell shocked player though in his first start so that was a good sign.

I think the season long bash fest on Luck by supposed "Colts" fans has a little to do with the bashing you are now seeing in response. Some of it is not bashing either, he turned the ball over 3 times leading to 17 points. The criticism is valid. I don't think it has much of anything to do with insecurity, i just think some people got sick of listening to how terrible Luck was and how Manning was a lock to win a superbowl now that he was on a "real" team. And most of these people were bandwagon Broncos fan who were stil pretending to be Colts fans on here which makes it worse. I loved Manning, look at my screenname, his number is in it. But i found myself not caring one bit if they won it all this year just because of the nonsense i seen from certain people here and in the media.

That is a very fair point. Peyton was responsible for quite a bit of what happened. I just don't understand why appreciating athletes has to me mutually exclusive. For instance, i can say that MJ, Kobe and LeBron are all tremendous basketball players. Any team would be lucky to have any of them. Why then can't people respect Luck and Peyton? It feels like people MUST say we are better off with or without someone. Why can't we just be ecstatic to have Luck, period.

Well said, on many levels. It should also be noted that many (including myself), were hoping that Manning could win it all, but pointing out his very poor 'eight and done' record is merely highlighting some factual evidence that is unavoidable. Wearing blinders doesn't work for some people.

There are a very few on here who are bashing or rejoicing in this lastest loss. In fact, there are just as many posters on here who were hoping Manning would win it all so they could rub Irsay's nose in the dirt and say 'we told you so', which I feel could be the catalyst for some of the comments.

Finally, you say people shouldn't bash Peyton for what he's done, yet you bash people for having an opinion that differs from yours. Not find that kind of contradictory or ironic?

And finally finally, I think this defeat will make this a better forum once all this angst has been released and we move on.

I hear what you're saying. I don't have a problem with opinions different from my own; I simply think we should be rejoicing in our success this season together rather than fighting and spewing animosity towards one another. I think you are completely right about people wanting to rub Irsay's nose in the Peyton decision. That really resonates strongly. Thank you for the alternative perspective. I still think we can do a better job 'staying classy" though.

I don't understand your logic here. If Flacco had lost 38-35 then people would be saying that the defense let Flacco down as well.

my logic is both defenses played horrible. yet the offense for baltimore handled the ball better then the broncos offense. ravens had 1 turnover compared to denvers 3. that is what beat manning and the broncos. a game that should have been a good defensive low scoring game turned out to be a game where neither defense showed up and made it come down to who could protect the ball better. Baltimore proved they could protect the ball as for denver (manning) had 2 INT's (one that was crucial in OT when he should have just taken a sack and punted the ball) and a fumble. two of those turnovers resulted in points put on the board including the game winning FG. the first INT was returned for a TD, and the 2nd baltimore only had to run the ball 15 yards to set up for the game winning field goal.

I think the Peyton, Moore, and the Broncos coaches gave that game away.

That was a HORRIBLE pick Peyton threw on the opponents side of the field.

It was a throw that he had no reason to throw. Period!

In regards to Moore, I would be shocked to see him back in a Broncos uniform.

Absolutley terrible coverage! Absolutley terrible indeed!

What were the Broncos coaches thinking? When Peyton was a Colt, we would have never

played for overtime with 30 seconds left and two timeouts. We would have put it in

18s hands and let him get us in field goal position for the win. Not only that, but

on that 3rd and 7 play before the Broncos punted the ball, there is no way as a Colt

we would have put such a crucial down in the hands of a running back. That ball would

have been in the hands of 18 and he would have gotten the first down.

The Broncos coaches were too conservative.