Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Elam

We need to either address the O-line at 24 or trade back to the end of round 1 or early/mid 2 and aquire more picks.  Elam isn't a 1st round tallent and the is no need to push him up into the 1st just because he fits a need of ours.  Would like to see Jonathan Cooper, the guard out of UNC, taken at 24.  Fits a need and is a 1st round tallent.

We need to either address the O-line at 24 or trade back to the end of round 1 or early/mid 2 and aquire more picks.  Elam isn't a 1st round tallent and the is no need to push him up into the 1st just because he fits a need of ours. Would like to see Jonathan Cooper, the guard out of UNC, taken at 24.  Fits a need and is a 1st round tallent.
haha

Is Elam worth the 24th pick?     Probably. 

But, I'd add, not for the Colts.    That's not an anti-Elam comment as it is an anti-Safety comment.    As much as we need one I'd like our first pick -- whether it's in the first round or if we trade back to the 2nd -- to be either a DL or an OLB that can rush the passer or a Offensive Tackle.

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.    We're still Building the Monster.    The strength of this draft class is DL.   I hope Grigson can find one when we pick.

I expect we'll find a decent safety either in FA or later in the draft.

Any particular reason?Legitimately interested, don't get to see much of the college players in the UK.

I mean there both good but vaccaro, imo, covers better and is taller. But elam definitely hits harder which could shorten his career look at sanders and now palamalu has been injured this whole season

So you don't want a safety that hits? I want a Safety that will do whatever it takes to get the ball back if that means hitting someone 100mph to do it then I'm fine with that. That's why Elam would be perfect to add on the backend of the defense.

We are so many players away from being really good, if Elam is as good as his Bio, of course you take him if he grades worthy of 24 and he is the highest on our board. The combine will speak loudly. Looking for the 4.4`s.

This kid has the pedigree of Ed Reed light. Not a 6th round knucklehead a half step slower. He might be ELITE.

Chuck & Grig will figure it out.

Eric Weddle fell to the second round.

So you don't want a safety that hits? I want a Safety that will do whatever it takes to get the ball back if that means hitting someone 100mph to do it then I'm fine with that. That's why Elam would be perfect to add on the backend of the defense.

I wasnt saying it was a bad thing I was saying it causes inuries. I love hard hitters as long as they stay healthy

Guys that play like that have a very short shelf life in the NFL.  Hitting like that takes a huge toll on the body and they wear down a lot quicker than a player who plays smart and wraps up his tackles.  I know it exciting to see big hits but  when they miss a hit or blow their assignment it almost always results in a big play the other way.  I would way rather have a O-Lineman who with play 10+ years and protects our franchise player at QB.

Guys that play like that have a very short shelf life in the NFL.  Hitting like that takes a huge toll on the body and they wear down a lot quicker than a player who plays smart and wraps up his tackles.  I know it exciting to see big hits but  when they miss a hit or blow their assignment it almost always results in a big play the other way.  I would way rather have a O-Lineman who with play 10+ years and protects our franchise player at QB.

You can also say that about any lineman or any player we draft. O-lineman can just easily have someone take their knee out from behind and be injured pretty badly. It happened to Decastro this year. He came back from his injury pretty well but still was out for most of the season because of it.

I'd love to get Elam.  He plays the pass quite well actually, and iirc, he lined up as a nickle CB pretty often as well.  He's also a heck of a run supporter and can lay the boom on anyone in his path. If he's there at 24, I will be salivating...

Also, don't let Bob Sanders sour everyones opinion of a hard hitting safety.  There's plenty of heavy hitters on defense in the league who have had long careers.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to get Elam.  He plays the pass quite well actually, and iirc, he lined up as a nickle CB pretty often as well.  He's also a heck of a run supporter and can lay the boom on anyone in his path. If he's there at 24, I will be salivating...

Also, don't let Bob Sanders sour everyones opinion of a hard hitting safety.  There's plenty of heavy hitters on defense in the league who have had long careers.

Brian Dawkins

Well thats just not fair...plenty of Oline and Dlinemen have gotten injured early on in their career. Look no further then Ijalana for example. Passing on a player because he is in a "injury prone role" can come back and bite you, ask the teams that passed on AP. And AP had past injuries to raise flags, Elam however has none. Not to mention that Polamalu has had a lengthy career, Lott had a lengthy career and he made a living off knockin receivers out.

Protecting the QB is an argument to make absolutely and FA will play a big role in the drafts gameplan so its to hard to say now. But I think we can all agree that this defense is in desperate need of a playmaker. Elam can be that guy, a 4th-7th round safety likely wont be. If hes there, and front office has addressed the Oline, I say pull the trigger.