Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mularkey as Arians Replacement?

gbrads_rants

IMO it was pretty crappy for the Jags to fire him after 1 season. with that crap roster and an even worse QB, I don't know what they expected from this guy in 1 season. Oh well, thats why the Jags are the Jags. With that said, I would still rather go with a young up and coming offensive mind. Joe Lombardi has been mentioned and I like that idea.

IMO it was pretty crappy for the Jags to fire him after 1 season. with that crap roster and an even worse QB, I don't know what they expected from this guy in 1 season. Oh well, thats why the Jags are the Jags. With that said, I would still rather go with a young up and coming offensive mind. Joe Lombardi has been mentioned and I like that idea.

Like I said in the Rob Ryan firing thread, I hate how the coach gets blamed. He can't help that Gabbert is Garbage. Idk what they were thinking spending a 1st round pick. The jags just need a makeover on offense. Their Defense isn't too Shabby though

So Mike Mularkey has been fired from the Jags...He hasn't been the most successfulHead Coach but was a great OC in Atlanta...they def had a balanced attack, with that said what do you all think about him as the new OC?

I'd rather have Clyde. Clyde would be familiar with Tom Moore's offense as well as Arians(who worked with Tom Moore)so I think there would be lots of similarities for Luck going forward. Plus Clyde was Luck's QB coach this year and if you want stability the logical choice is Clyde.

God no! I didn't even like him in ATL....there was actually a lot of talk about him getting fired in Atlanta before the jags foolishly hired him. Caldwell, the new jags GM, actually worked with mularkey in ATL and he immediately fired him...what does that tell you?

God no! I didn't even like him in ATL....there was actually a lot of talk about him getting fired in Atlanta before the jags foolishly hired him. Caldwell, the new jags GM, actually worked with mularkey in ATL and he immediately fired him...what does that tell you?

It tells me he wasn't a good head coach. We actually knew that from Buffalo. But he was a pretty good coordinator in Atlanta (and elsewhere, especially Pittsburgh). The reason the Falcons were thinking about moving on is because they wanted to take their offense to the next level, and Mularkey is a bit old school with his run heavy approach. Atlanta particularly struggled to score touchdowns in the red zone, which is concerning, given the quarterback and the targets. I do think Mularkey is a good coordinator, but I don't know that we wouldn't be sick of him after two or three seasons.

Like I said in the Rob Ryan firing thread, I hate how the coach gets blamed. He can't help that Gabbert is Garbage. Idk what they were thinking spending a 1st round pick. The jags just need a makeover on offense. Their Defense isn't too Shabby though

I think a team should be able to say "he's just not our guy" and move on, regardless of whether anyone thinks he got a fair shake. Mularkey alienated a lot of people with his authoritarian style, and even though the roster sucked, he didn't manage it very well, making several bad calls. 

It's like the Lakers firing Mike Brown so early. When you determine that this isn't your guy, there's no sense in waiting. It's not fair to the players or the fans, not if you think you can do better. And with all the available coaches out there right now, there's no question the Jags can do better than Mike Mularkey.

It tells me he wasn't a good head coach. We actually knew that from Buffalo. But he was a pretty good coordinator in Atlanta (and elsewhere, especially Pittsburgh). The reason the Falcons were thinking about moving on is because they wanted to take their offense to the next level, and Mularkey is a bit old school with his run heavy approach. Atlanta particularly struggled to score touchdowns in the red zone, which is concerning, given the quarterback and the targets. I do think Mularkey is a good coordinator, but I don't know that we wouldn't be sick of him after two or three seasons.

That seemed like a long winded way of saying u don't like him either.

not a fan...but i rather have him over CC.

regardless, im with other posters, i preffer someone new young hungry and innovative. an assitant, like WR /QB coach, in Seattle/Saints/Packers/49ers would be good with me...of course he gotta have the right credentials

I think a team should be able to say "he's just not our guy" and move on, regardless of whether anyone thinks he got a fair shake. Mularkey alienated a lot of people with his authoritarian style, and even though the roster sucked, he didn't manage it very well, making several bad calls. 

It's like the Lakers firing Mike Brown so early. When you determine that this isn't your guy, there's no sense in waiting. It's not fair to the players or the fans, not if you think you can do better. And with all the available coaches out there right now, there's no question the Jags can do better than Mike Mularkey.

I agree and I'll admit, I didn't pay any attention to the Jags this yr. so I have no idea if this guy was a jerk to players and other staff members or not, but I can't blame him for not winning with that horrible team and QB. He didn't have a chance from the get go there.

That seemed like a long winded way of saying u don't like him either.

Ehh, I don't dislike him. I think he's a very good coordinator. I just don't think he's the right fit, particularly because he's a more conservative guy. Couple that with a conservative head coach like Pagano, and I could see our offense getting stuck in low gear for a couple years.

I would rather take Norv Turner over Mularkey.  The Chargers under Turner had a high offense in both passing and running.  With that said, I like the balance he implemented in San Diego.  Unfortunately, former GM (Smith) made bad decisions in letting go of some of their players (RB, WR) hence the demise of the Charges and the firing of Turner.

Mularkey is not a bad coach.  He just took over a bad team that didn't have any talents outside of MJD.  I still want Arians to stay but in case he takes a HC job somewhere, I want Turner to take his place.  We have all the tools to make this team a lethal high powered offense....just need to fix our O-line . :thmup:

I would rather take Norv Turner over Mularkey.  The Chargers under Turner had a high offense in both passing and running.  With that said, I like the balance he implemented in San Diego.  Unfortunately, former GM (Smith) made bad decisions in letting go of some of their players (RB, WR) hence the demise of the Charges and the firing of Turner.

Mularkey is not a bad coach.  He just took over a bad team that didn't have any talents outside of MJD.  I still want Arians to stay but in case he takes a HC job somewhere, I want Turner to take his place.  We have all the tools to make this team a lethal high powered offense....just need to fix our O-line . :thmup:

That is a really great point...San Diego had a great squad like 4-5 years ago and AJ Smith sold it away for a sack of magic beans....I wonder if Norv is being considered

he hasn't done a very good job with rivers

Nor did he do a good job while he was in Washington, San Diego (2001), Miami ('02-'03), Oakland ('04-'05) or San Francisco ('06).  It seems the only QB he did "develop" was Troy Aikman, who might just have been really good just because he's really good.  I'm not getting all the love for Norv, but that's just me.

he hasn't done a very good job with rivers

Well, you first take Michael Turner away from him, then Sproles away from him, then VJax away from him, and then dont replenish talent on your O-line, and how on earth is Rivers going to produce, especially with his safety net Gates injured most of the time? Not retaining key talent and replacing them with middle or low tier talent like Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem is not going to cut it.

That has been a key factor in Rivers not producing the last 2 seasons, IMO, depletion of talent on the Chargers' roster.

Norv Turner or Ken Wisenhunt would be my two names.

Norv Turner or Ken Wisenhunt would be my two names.

One thing to consider about Norv(or Whisenhunt):  Norv has 15 years of head coaching experience; Chuck has 7 games.  Whisenhunt's been to the Super Bowl.  Would Chuck be comfortable with such a working relationship, giving orders to someone with infinitely more head coaching experience than he has?  More goes into it than just Xs and Os.  Chuck hired Arians because he was someone from his past who he was comfortable with.  I would look to Grigson's or Chuck's past for the next OC - likely an unknown who fits into the structure and can grow along with the team. 

One thing to consider about Norv(or Whisenhunt):  Norv has 15 years of head coaching experience; Chuck has 7 games.  Whisenhunt's been to the Super Bowl.  Would Chuck be comfortable with such a working relationship, giving orders to someone with infinitely more head coaching experience than he has?  More goes into it than just Xs and Os.  Chuck hired Arians because he was someone from his past who he was comfortable with.  I would look to Grigson's or Chuck's past for the next OC - likely an unknown who fits into the structure and can grow along with the team. 

I personally don't think that would be relevant. New head coaches hire previous head coaches as coordinators all the time.

I'm still on the J. Lombardi train.  Then the Whiz.  Finally Norval.  But if B.A. decided not to leave after all, I'd be very happy!

Don't know why, but I thought you were anti-Whisenhunt.

As for Lombardi, he looks promising, but he could very easily be a product of Payton/Brees. I think I'd prefer someone with a little more experience. Then again, he could be the next big thing.

I personally don't think that would be relevant. New head coaches hire previous head coaches as coordinators all the time.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a current similar situation with such a disparity.  For starters, head coaches with years of experience or who have been to Super Bowls usually hold out for other head coaching jobs, wherever that might be - the NFL or college.  Then, you look at someone without prospects like Del Rio.  Sure, John Fox has enough years to bring in Del Rio and feel comfortable with the situation, but if he were a first year head coach, he might feel differently about it.  It's human nature.  If you have the choice, of course you're going to hire someone you feel comfortable working with, as Chuck hired Arians.  And if you have a say in the matter, you're probably not going to hire a subordinate with infinitely more experience than you.   If Jerry Jones or your owner shoves someone down your throat, that's a different story. 

Don't know why, but I thought you were anti-Whisenhunt.

As for Lombardi, he looks promising, but he could very easily be a product of Payton/Brees. I think I'd prefer someone with a little more experience. Then again, he could be the next big thing.

let s say BA and Lombardi re a close 1-2, everybody else distant 3 on down :)

As long as we don't get a predictable and vanilla OC that is over conservative and keep using hi-lo to open up dump off passes all day... ;)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a current similar situation with such a disparity.  For starters, head coaches with years of experience or who have been to Super Bowls usually hold out for other head coaching jobs, wherever that might be - the NFL or college.  Then, you look at someone without prospects like Del Rio.  Sure, John Fox has enough years to bring in Del Rio and feel comfortable with the situation, but if he were a first year head coach, he might feel differently about it.  It's human nature.  If you have the choice, of course you're going to hire someone you feel comfortable working with, as Chuck hired Arians.  And if you have a say in the matter, you're probably not going to hire a subordinate with infinitely more experience than you.   If Jerry Jones or your owner shoves someone down your throat, that's a different story. 

Just a few current examples:

Mike Smith had zero head coaching experience, and he hired Mike Mularkey. Pat Shurmur had never been a head coach, but he hired Brad Childress. Jason Garrett hired Bill Callahan, a former Super Bowl head coach.

There are dozens more throughout recent history. Granted, none of them have the disparity between Pagano and Turner. But I just don't think it's a major consideration of any head coach when he's looking for coordinators. In fact, I would think a first time head coach would want to surround himself with guys that have plenty of experience.

Just a few current examples:

Mike Smith had zero head coaching experience, and he hired Mike Mularkey. Pat Shurmur had never been a head coach, but he hired Brad Childress. Jason Garrett hired Bill Callahan, a former Super Bowl head coach.

There are dozens more throughout recent history. Granted, none of them have the disparity between Pagano and Turner. But I just don't think it's a major consideration of any head coach when he's looking for coordinators. In fact, I would think a first time head coach would want to surround himself with guys that have plenty of experience.

The first two situations weren't all that similar, and I assume Jerry Jones dictates in Dallas, but there are no hard and fast rules here.  I'm looking at this from Chuck's perspective and who I think he would hire.  These aren't my wishes. 

Now,  from the organization's perspective, they probably should hire Whisenhunt, if they can.  We all pray Chuck is healthy moving forward, but should he have a relapse, they need to cover themselves.  If Chuck has problems, who coaches this team next year?  For that reason alone, Arians staying would be the best thing. 

He's defintely better than a lot of guys out there, but he doesn't necessarily fit our system.

The best thing going forward would be an OC who uses a-based, spread-passing attack, deploying both quick throws from bunched sets, as well as deep throws. Can't be changing systems with Luck as the QB. Change like this is not good for a young QB.