Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ROTY (merge)

mjsimans

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so we will know in a month. unfortinately everyone has been on russell wilsons marbles since november i have a feeling luck will not get ROTY award. its fine though, peyton manning wasnt rookie of the year in 98 and look how he turned out lol.

Yeah, Moss had a great career. But Manning has been far superior

We all know it's going to come down to either the #1 or #2 draft pick (although Alfred Morris should be well in the discussion.

While most of the experts/blogs/fans speculate why RG3 should get ROY, I'd like us to dice and slice the achievements of the 2 rookies.

Andrew Luck

Most passing yards in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 433
Most passing yards by a rookie in a single season: 4,374
Most 300+ yards passing games by a rookie QB
Most wins by a #1 pick QB in his rookie season
Most game-winning drives by a rookie quarterback
Most fourth quarter comebacks by a rookie quarterback

RG3

Two-time Offensive Rookie of the Month    

Two-time NFL Offensive Player of the Week    

Seven-time NFL Rookie of the Week    

2012 Pro Bowler    

Rookie passer rating record (102.4)    

Lowest interception rate by a rookie in NFL history (1.3 percent)

Immediately eliminate all the acclaim that you've been 'voted"

like Rookie of the Month.

That's not an accomplishment..its popularity.

Game winning drives is also a bad stat because If the game is tied and you move the team to a field goal...

that's not doing much but it technically is a game-winning drive..

The passer rating is also questionable because of what stats it uses and emphasizes...

Its basically Lucks totals (he passes for 1,000 more yards) and against Robert's accuracy......He had few interceptions..

RG3 also ran for over 800 yards...but he missed a game..Andrew started and finished every game..

I dont think Alfred Morris should be in the discussion because he was not asked to do great things and he was not heralded from

day one as someone who might. He didnt carry that burden.

Plus runners just dont do as much as QBs. Russel Wilson's numbers arent that good.

Its a popularity contest and all we have as a predictor is the Heisman Trophy race.

Won by RG3.

I'm the biggest luck fan and I feel he should win it but we all know in reality it is going to be either RG3 or Wilson.  If it's RG3 its because of the media coverage he received and his nice stats and he's a likable fella. If it's Wilson its because of his nice stats and the path he had to take to become a starting QB and the obstacles he overcame and because he won a playoff game.  Luck isn't even going to be considered because he doesn't have the "nice" stat line and it's sad because that's what it is mostly based on.  Luck didn't receive the media attention that RG3 did and the Colts didn't have many mainstage games for Luck to show why he deserves to be ROTY. Everyone dismisses his late game heroics and 4th quarter comeback because they think they were products of him being a turnover machine.

This is a piece from a list of awards on CBS Sports dot com and just to give you all an idea on the thinking in the ROTY argument...

Rookie of the year

Pete Prisco: Robert Griffin III. It was tough, but I gave him a slight edge over Andrew Luck.
Clark Judge: Robert Griffin III. He can run. He can pass. He can win. What he can't do is avoid the big hit, and that's an issue.
Mike Freeman: Andrew Luck. The Colts last year started 0-13 and won two games. Two of the quarterbacks were Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter. Scrub city. Luck comes in and one year later the team is in the playoffs.
Jason La Canfora: Russell Wilson. Does it all and does it well. A historic rookie season in touchdowns produced. Protects the football. He became a total stud after nearly losing his job in the first quarter of the season. Played a tough schedule and destroyed teams with his legs and arm.
Pat Kirwan: Russell Wilson.
Will Brinson: Russell Wilson. Wilson overcame more than Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, who were handed jobs after being top picks in the draft. Wilson grew as the season went along and turned Seattle into a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Plus I picked him before the season and Pete will accuse me of having a Russell Wilson fathead in my office.
Josh Katzowitz: Robert Griffin III. Andrew Luck slumped toward the end of the season, and Russell Wilson wasn't quite as good as RG3 for most of it. RG3 transformed the Redskins.
Ryan Wilson: Robert Griffin III. You could argue that he saved Mike Shanahan's job.

This is from a piece on NFL Awards on CBS Sports dot com and will give you an idea on the thinking on ROTY and who is more likely to get it and it isn't A.Luck...

I don't see Mr. Luck getting it...

I'm the biggest luck fan and I feel he should win it but we all know in reality it is going to be either RG3 or Wilson.  If it's RG3 its because of the media coverage he received and his nice stats and he's a likable fella. If it's Wilson its because of his nice stats and the path he had to take to become a starting QB and the obstacles he overcame and because he won a playoff game.  Luck isn't even going to be considered because he doesn't have the "nice" stat line and it's sad because that's what it is mostly based on.  Luck didn't receive the media attention that RG3 did and the Colts didn't have many mainstage games for Luck to show why he deserves to be ROTY. Everyone dismisses his late game heroics and 4th quarter comeback because they think they were products of him being a turnover machine.
votes had to be in before playoffs so winning a playoff game has nothing to do with it

Russel Wilson's numbers arent that good.

Russel Wilson put up the second highest passer rating for a rookie ever and tied the record for TD's by a rookie QB set by Peyton Manning. He deserves to be in the discussion as much as Luck/RG3 do.

Russel Wilson put up the second highest passer rating for a rookie ever and tied the record for TD's by a rookie QB set by Peyton Manning. He deserves to be in the discussion as much as Luck/RG3 do.

The passer rating is misleading..

and while he did throw 26 TDs...

look at ALL his numbers...every game..

He's not in the mix

I was unaware that voting was prior to playoffs so disregard my playoff statements but everything else I wrote is true.

The passer rating is misleading..

and while he did throw 26 TDs...

look at ALL his numbers...every game..

He's not in the mix

He's had 9 games with a passer rating over 100 this season. 1 against New England who leads the league in takeaways, 1 against Minnesota who ranks in the Top 10 in passing defense, 1 against Chicago who has arguably the best defense in the league, 1 against San Francisco who also has a Top 5 defense, and one against St Louis who also has a defense who ranks in the top half of the league. And on top of all that he also had 400 rushing yards and 4 TD's. Saying he's not in the mix is silly, he'll probably end up with more votes than Luck does.

We all know it's going to come down to either the #1 or #2 draft pick (although Alfred Morris should be well in the discussion.

While most of the experts/blogs/fans speculate why RG3 should get ROY, I'd like us to dice and slice the achievements of the 2 rookies.

Andrew Luck

Most passing yards in a single game by a rookie quarterback: 433

Most passing yards by a rookie in a single season: 4,374

Most 300+ yards passing games by a rookie QB

Most wins by a #1 pick QB in his rookie season

Most game-winning drives by a rookie quarterback

Most fourth quarter comebacks by a rookie quarterback

RG3

Two-time Offensive Rookie of the Month    

Two-time NFL Offensive Player of the Week    

Seven-time NFL Rookie of the Week    

2012 Pro Bowler    

Rookie passer rating record (102.4)    

Lowest interception rate by a rookie in NFL history (1.3 percent)

most game winning drives by a rookie yes....however the more impressive way to view that is he was tied for the MOST GAME WINNING DRIVES in NFL history...regardless of being a rookie or not...if that combined with the most passing yards and a 11-5 record doesn't get you rookie of the year, I don't know what does....

Putting things in perspective:

Luck - all his records, game winning drives, on a team that was 2-14 last year, average Defense, lackluster o-line and 11-5 record

RGIII - records, above average defense, rookie teammate (Morris) arguably deserves rookie of the year more than RGIII. Back up QB (fellow rookie) came in and won two games while RGIII was hurt

Wilson - record, product of a really good team, one of the best run games and one of the best defenses.

Summary:

RGIII is in a simple offense with a great run game and high percentage pass play calls

Wilson is a game manager with a great run game AND defense

Luck IS the offense (thus why he throws 50 times a game)

Not taking away anything from RGIII or Wilson, but how does Luck not run away with this?

Luck - all his records, game winning drives, on a team that was 2-14 last year, average Defense, lackluster o-line and 11-5 record

RGIII - records, above average defense, rookie teammate (Morris) arguably deserves rookie of the year more than RGIII. Back up QB (fellow rookie) came in and won two games while RGIII was hurt

Wilson - record, product of a really good team, one of the best run games and one of the best defenses.

Summary:

RGIII is in a simple offense with a great run game and high percentage pass play calls

Not taking away anything from RGIII or Wilson, but how does Luck not run away with this?

Well, Griffin can't run away with it, that is for sure....

This is a piece from a list of awards on CBS Sports dot com and just to give you all an idea on the thinking in the ROTY argument...

Rookie of the year

Pete Prisco: Robert Griffin III. It was tough, but I gave him a slight edge over Andrew Luck.

Clark Judge: Robert Griffin III. He can run. He can pass. He can win. What he can't do is avoid the big hit, and that's an issue.

Mike Freeman: Andrew Luck. The Colts last year started 0-13 and won two games. Two of the quarterbacks were Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter. Scrub city. Luck comes in and one year later the team is in the playoffs.

Jason La Canfora: Russell Wilson. Does it all and does it well. A historic rookie season in touchdowns produced. Protects the football. He became a total stud after nearly losing his job in the first quarter of the season. Played a tough schedule and destroyed teams with his legs and arm.

Pat Kirwan: Russell Wilson.

Will Brinson: Russell Wilson. Wilson overcame more than Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, who were handed jobs after being top picks in the draft. Wilson grew as the season went along and turned Seattle into a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Plus I picked him before the season and Pete will accuse me of having a Russell Wilson fathead in my office.

Josh Katzowitz: Robert Griffin III. Andrew Luck slumped toward the end of the season, and Russell Wilson wasn't quite as good as RG3 for most of it. RG3 transformed the Redskins.

Ryan Wilson: Robert Griffin III. You could argue that he saved Mike Shanahan's job.

This is from a piece on NFL Awards on CBS Sports dot com and will give you an idea on the thinking on ROTY and who is more likely to get it and it isn't A.Luck...

I don't see Mr. Luck getting it...

Everyone of them seem to be ignoring the accomplishments of the QBs they didn't pick, which leads me to think they're biased( old school Redskin fans, in the media, never. i know if anyone picks Luck its not because of bias) Not 1 of them brought up a very important point, *Luck did it with less*. ( even the guy who picked Luck )

I want to highlight a point again. How many will vote for Luck because of fan bias vs how many pick RG3 because of bias?

* the same popular argument they use to pick Peterson for MVP over Manning, which I agree with.

because of ESPN I actually cant stand robert griffin. its seriously a waste of time even pointing out why Luck deserves it when obviously all they want is the show. Love me some Luck, he said he would rather worry about learning the playbook and being a nfl qb than making commercials and all that flashy crap. Luck will still be chugging along when vick 2.0 is sitting on the side lines.

because of ESPN I actually cant stand robert griffin. its seriously a waste of time even pointing out why Luck deserves it when obviously all they want is the show. Love me some Luck, he said he would rather worry about learning the playbook and being a nfl qb than making commercials and all that flashy crap. Luck will still be chugging along when vick 2.0 is sitting on the side lines.

i mean for the past week every espn show has been talking about him like give it a break.. All thus publicity and the few times i saw him he never passed 110 yds passing. They have fulfilled their agenda.. O lets not get me started on first take they worship him. No one should get the Blame for his injury but him he choose to keep paying

I think some people need to understand that this award isn't rewarded in the same sense as the MVP is. It's really not about who did more with less or who carried a team or whatnot. This award is basically the rookie offensive player of the year award. Remember when Cam Newton won it last year even though Andy Dalton made it into the playoffs? It's about who put up the best numbers and that's all. This isn't going to be the be all end all of the three rookie QBs careers.

Summary:

I happen to agree with you. Luck was the offense and he's amazing in the clutch. I believe the 3rd ad long stats and the come back wins support this. That said , it will be RG3 with Luck nipping SWilson for 3rd. Who cares and for those that do , they'll just have to get over it.

I think some people need to understand that this award isn't rewarded in the same sense as the MVP is. It's really not about who did more with less or who carried a team or whatnot. This award is basically the rookie offensive player of the year award. Remember when Cam Newton won it last year even though Andy Dalton made it into the playoffs? It's about who put up the best numbers and that's all. This isn't going to be the be all end all of the three rookie QBs careers.

Some of what you say is true but I think you are leaving out the fact that Dalton was on a good team and was not asked to do much morfe than not lose the game. Luck on the other hand took a bad team , put it on his back , took all kinds of nasty hits from a makeshift O line and willed the team to 11 wins. Trying to add a little melodramatic humor here , but anyway... you comparison is not quite the whole body of work that should be considered with this award.