Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gnet550

Take two- free agent edition

112 posts in this topic

If we put a good amount of money into two main free agents who would you want.

I would take Jake Long and Jarius Byrd

1 person likes this

LT Ryan Clady(better than Long), and Im good with Jarius Byrd at FS.

1 person likes this

I'd also go with Ryan Clady and probably Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie as the other.

I say clady or long an Levi we need an oline for luck don't want a repeat of last year

1 person likes this

Clady isn't going to leave Denver so my picks would be Andre Smith and Andy Levitre

2 people like this

Clady isn't going to leave Denver so my picks would be Andre Smith and Andy Levitre

Probably the most realistic. We need to look at teams that have great players like that looking for new contracts and that teams salary cap. Neither Long or Clady are leaving their teams.

Probably the most realistic. We need to look at teams that have great players like that looking for new contracts and that teams salary cap. Neither Long or Clady are leaving their teams.

Actually there is a lot of speculation that Miami will let Long walk.....his cap number is outrageous if they franchise him.

Andre Smith is doubtful...I believe the bengals have a ton of cap space

Clady and Byrd will almost certainly be franchised if they don't sign new deals

I have heard a lot that Long will probably be let go, which is the main reason I said him.  Byrd would be a huge upgrade at safety, but he is likely to be franchised.  If not, Byrd would be the guy I would go after.  He and Bethea would be a great safety combo.  Then I would say find a cheaper cb, and draft another O-line in the first round.  I believe the state we are in we are set up for success.

Since I live in south Florida I hear local sports-talk radio sometimes. And Jake Long is not a elite LT and not worth the big $$$ it may take to resign him according to them. He's been getting eaten up by the better pass rushers and they think that he may even have a undisclosed injury of some sort. They would rather have the Phinns put their $$$ elsewhere.

1 person likes this

I don't think Long is worth the money he will be asking. Levitre is a no brainer though. Clady will probably get franchised unfortunately.

Rodgers-Cromartie would be an excellent addition to our secondary. We need to replace Zibs and Freeney though too.

My two top-tier picks are OLB Anthony Spencer and CB Cary Williams.

Dallas is in terrible cap shape at 19 million over the cap and although Baltimore has 15M in cap space...they have Joe Flacco, Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe as UFAs...and TE Dennis Pitta as a RFA to deal with. And all this sets aside whatever happens with UFA Ed Reed.

Cary Williams, who was position-coached and DC'd by Chuck Pagano makes sense for us to target....and the Ravens simply can't keep all those guys.

Should a deal for Williams elude us....I'd take a shot at SS Dashon Goldson from the 49ers, who have barely 4M in cap space projected.

I know we need OG help and Andy Levitre is out there but Buffalo has 20M in cap space and will probably sign him and Jairus Byrd long-term...or sign one of them and tag the other.

A 2nd tier OG like Louis Vasquez would be a good move after Spencer and Williams....IMO.

ON A SIDE NOTE: for reference here are two good tools to bounce off each other. One is every team's salary cap space for 2013.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

and this one is every teams list of free agents and every players contract info...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/

All of these guys would be major upgrades.  I just have a feelings we will make a big splash with two guys, then fill in the rest of the roster via the draft, or maybe 2nd or 3rd tier free agents.

We can only choose 2??? We have plenty of money to add more than 2.

Oh well, I'll play along I guess.

I'd go with Louis Vasquez and Jermon Bushrod. Lets be realistic, Clady isn't getting away from Denver and those who want Jake Long are just saying that based on reputation. The guy is completely over rated and has worse sacks allowed numbers and allowed more pressures than Castanzo. I wish I could find the stats again, but for some reason they have disappeared. Long has allowed more sacks than any LT in the league in his time in the NFL. I honestly do not know why people still think Long is this great LT because he is not.

Everyone told me earlier in the season that Long would not be a realistic option because Miami would never let him go..... seems now he has a pretty decent shot at being in play..... 

While Long has his faults, his Talent is rarely seen on the FA market at Tackle... I say you roll the dice and see what he does with a fresh start.  He is a proven commodity and could easily return to Pro-Bowl Caliber I believe.

if we get ryan clady drc byrd and bowe id say we hit the FA jackpot

Everyone told me earlier in the season that Long would not be a realistic option because Miami would never let him go..... seems now he has a pretty decent shot at being in play..... 

While Long has his faults, his Talent is rarely seen on the FA market at Tackle... I say you roll the dice and see what he does with a fresh start.  He is a proven commodity and could easily return to Pro-Bowl Caliber I believe.

I don't agree with this assessment of Long. He is still living off his college credentials. with that said, there is a reason why Miami isn't breaking their necks to resign this guy. If you have a true elite LT, you don't just let him walk. Miami has figured out that he is over rated.

1 person likes this

ryan clady aint going no where...PM is not going to have a LT Rookie/Inexperienced for his final years, Elway understands the health risks

1 person likes this

Andre Smith - RT is a vastly underrated position, and he's the best out there.

Jairus Byrd - Move Bethea to box safety, and we have the best deep coverage safety in the league.

1 person likes this

Jake Long is one of the leagues most over rated players.

He got beat out in Miami and they dont want him back.

I hope he wont even be considered by the Colts.

4 people like this

Andy Levitre and Dwayne Bowe.

Those are my two as well.

1 person likes this

Jake Long is one of the leagues most over rated players.

He got beat out in Miami and they dont want him back.

I hope he wont even be considered by the Colts.

Finally, somebody that has actually paid attention. Long isn't as good as Castanzo IMO and I think anybody that has actually watched him play would agree.

if we get ryan clady drc byrd and bowe id say we hit the FA jackpot

replace bowe with levitre and this is Jackpot

We can only choose 2??? We have plenty of money to add more than 2.

Oh well, I'll play along I guess.

I'd go with Louis Vasquez and Jermon Bushrod. Lets be realistic, Clady isn't getting away from Denver and those who want Jake Long are just saying that based on reputation. The guy is completely over rated and has worse sacks allowed numbers and allowed more pressures than Castanzo. I wish I could find the stats again, but for some reason they have disappeared. Long has allowed more sacks than any LT in the league in his time in the NFL. I honestly do not know why people still think Long is this great LT because he is not.

not that I am advocating Long, but a good portion of sacks can be attributed to bad QB play/pocket awareness.  That may or may not be the case with Long, but they haven't had very good QB play for the past few years.

Personally, I like where Castonzo is headed.  I'd be for bringing in a solid couple of guards first and foremost, and perhaps a better RT, though from what I've seen, Justice has been fairly solid when healthy.  (The health part is important however, so we could still stand to upgrade).  It also seems that most are impressed with Shipley, so perhaps we let him take over at C for Satele who most are against.

As for the defense, a better SS would be nice, as would some added beef on the line.  If Freeney isn't retained, I'd like to see Hughes get a shot, and have them bring in some late rounders to add depth.

not that I am advocating Long, but a good portion of sacks can be attributed to bad QB play/pocket awareness.  That may or may not be the case with Long, but they haven't had very good QB play for the past few years.

Personally, I like where Castonzo is headed.  I'd be for bringing in a solid couple of guards first and foremost, and perhaps a better RT, though from what I've seen, Justice has been fairly solid when healthy.  (The health part is important however, so we could still stand to upgrade).  It also seems that most are impressed with Shipley, so perhaps we let him take over at C for Satele who most are against.

As for the defense, a better SS would be nice, as would some added beef on the line.  If Freeney isn't retained, I'd like to see Hughes get a shot, and have them bring in some late rounders to add depth.

I agree with bolded underlined part completely. As far as Long is concerned, It may have something to do with it with the bad QB play, I won't say that it didn't play a part in it, but Long just isn't nearly as good as many people think he is. He gets beat consistently in pass protection. I will say that he is a good run blocker, but so is Castanzo IMO. I still think Long will get a big payday based off his reputation and college credentials, I just hope the Colts aren't stupid enough to give him that big payday. There are better options out there for RT and for a much lower pay rate.

1 person likes this

Wait!!! If we get Byrd.... where does Bethea go?!

I thought we were trying to replace Zibikowski....

Not Bethea

Wait!!! If we get Byrd.... where does Bethea go?!

I thought we were trying to replace Zibikowski....

Not Bethea

Byrd would obviously go next to Bethea, but I don't necessarily see this one happening.

replace bowe with levitre and this is Jackpot

bowe would be a beast in our offense. bowe has been getting it done with no QB imagine what he can do with luck as his QB

1 person likes this

Byrd would obviously go next to Bethea, but I don't necessarily see this one happening.

Why not? I'm sure Bryd would rather be with a team on the rise than a team that's not going anywhere

bowe would be a beast in our offense. bowe has been getting it done with no QB imagine what he can do with luck as his QB

If the Colts fill the holes that desperately needs to be filled(O-line, OLBer, CB, and SS) there isn't going to be any money left for a high priced WR. I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of those other holes just to add a big name WR when it really isn't a priority at all.

3 people like this

Why not? I'm sure Bryd would rather be with a team on the rise than a team that's not going anywhere

If I am not mistaken, and as you suspect, he is a more natural FS.  We have that role covered.  So why not go to another team where the need you in the spot you are more natural to fit.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'd be willing to bet there are better fits out there.

If the Colts fill the holes that desperately needs to be filled(O-line, OLBer, CB, and SS) there isn't going to be any money left for a high priced WR. I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of those other holes just to add a big name WR when it really isn't a priority at all.

we also have the draft you know and we have tons of money to work with so we can sign one or two big priced FAs and I included an OT, CB, and, S. yes bowe is a luxury pick and not a need, but wayne isnt getting any younger and everyone on here has always wanted a big tall physical wr and that fits bowe

If I am not mistaken, and as you suspect, he is a more natural FS. We have that role covered. So why not go to another team where the need you in the spot you are more natural to fit.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'd be willing to bet there are better fits out there.

I think Bethea could play SS. Idk though. If he can't, then we should just take Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam, or Rambo in the Draft with our 1st Pick