Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Kelly interviews with eagles

jvan1973

I just dont think you are right, Brent...

College athletes are privileged and pampered...compared to you and me

.. there wouldnt be college sports is atheltes could transfer every year and play immediately...

..and there wont be college sports if athletes are paid anything other than a small expense stipend..

Colege athletics are NOT an enormous money maker... Football pays for the other sports...

Coaches are career men and women who get what the market will bear...

......... scholarship athletes are stealing the money...and the ones who are nonscholarship that are in the vast majority

It does not matter if we disagree,,,,,that is good sometimes.  I like most of what you are saying about the coaches, but we will never agree on the athletes inability to move freely like the Kelly's and Petrinos of the world....fun stuff to debate.  :).. 

I ask this out of ignorance....what is this very pompous and superior light that ND is held in? What is so special about this school over the rest?

If you have to ask that...not to belittle your comment, but ND is a staple of college football. Tons of tradition, the fact they are the lone independent that really matters, their rivalries, their academic standards (#1 in football graduation rate this NCAA report). It's the fact that they aren't a football factory like other schools. It's also why they have struggled in the past decade to be relevant. This year they got back to that, though there is still a ways to go, as evidenced by the Bama beatdown.

I just dont think you are right, Brent...

College athletes are privileged and pampered...compared to you and me

.. there wouldnt be college sports is atheltes could transfer every year and play immediately...

..and there wont be college sports if athletes are paid anything other than a small expense stipend..

Colege athletics are NOT an enormous money maker... Football pays for the other sports...

Coaches are career men and women who get what the market will bear...

......... scholarship athletes are stealing the money...and the ones who are nonscholarship that are in the vast majority

How are they stealing money? most ridiculous thing i have heard in awhile

How are they stealing money? most ridiculous thing i have heard in awhile

I totally agree, I am just not going to argue it.....makes no sense.   :)

Watching IU/Minnesota.  Victor Oladipo of IU is graduating at the end of his junior season.  He has utilized his scholarship t be just that....a scholar.  Also look at Butler for graduation rates as well as Kelly's Irish, Northwestern....Stanford....and so on and so on.

Harbaugh/Shaw at Stanford, Fitzgerald at Northwestern, and Kelly at ND have all proven you can win AND graduate players at academically tough universities. Alabama crows about their supposed "great" graduation rates (70-80% approx), but let's be fair: Bama is nowhere near any of the above schools in terms of academic standards. A degree from NW, ND, and especially Stanford is hard to get, no matter what the major. All three are private, academically prestigious schools. Bama is a large state university. Not saying it's a bad school, but there is no comparison academically.

Here's the rub. Those coaches have proven you can win the right way at tough schools while graduating players; but none have won a National Title. ND came the closest this season, and that was with a lot of lucky breaks along the way. And they got blown out by Bama. It was men vs. boys out there. Stanford with Luck, the best college QB in the past decade IMO, still couldn't get to a Title game.

When ND was last in the title conversation year in and year out, it was under Lou Holtz. And much was made of him getting players on the team that wouldn't have normally made the academic cut at ND....when he left, they tightened academic restrictions, and until this season ND hasn't really sniffed the BCS title game.

So, I don't know if there ever will be another ND title. I think if he stays they have a good chance, with the incoming recruiting class being so strong. They can be in the conversation.

Because they dont earn it....Its a gift..

everybody gets the mney whether they play or not..

In the real world..you work for things///../all college kids find out...

They do earn it, they play and earn the school money. You sound bitter that you were not born with athletic ability. My cousin played for ball state in the nineties. He suffered a pretty nasty leg injury and walks with a cane now. To say he didn't earn his scholarship is ridiculous

They do earn it, they play and earn the school money. You sound bitter that you were not born with athletic ability. My cousin played for ball state in the nineties. He suffered a pretty nasty leg injury and walks with a cane now. To say he didn't earn his scholarship is ridiculous

College football players do not all play..jvan...is my point

I dont like the idea of paying players because it will end football at many universities...

Why do football players act like they were forced to play...and that they must be compensated.

..and a scholarship is a bonus..

They're not doing us a favor...the Uniobversity is giving the man education AND alowing them to play football.

there's makers and takers,.,and college football players, sucessful ones who play or bench warmers, are takers

I dont like the idea of paying players because it will end football at many universities...

Why do football players act like they were forced to play...and that they must be compensated.

They're not doing us a favor...the Uniobversity is giving the man education AND alowing them to play football.

there's makers and takers,.,and college football players, sucessful ones who play or bench warmers, are takers

I've never said they should be paid. And to call a scholarship athlete a thief is just dumb and un informed

Uncle Mark......you are simply way off base on this one.  

I think you are thinking of star athletes at big universities....how about the small college scholarships?  How about academic full rides?

Being a student is tough in itself....being a student athlete is a whole lotta work....and think about getting hurt and rehab...rehab is work above and beyond......

Brent..we live in the real world...they should NEVER complain

ask a college athlete who feels he should be paid.. what you got paid for playing football in high school, Brent...

...To get to play football is voluntary//Its not a job ....you and I know what a job is

.. to get to play AND get a scholarship is like getting paid twice..

many boys, as you say, play college football, for nothing at NAIA schools