Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chap on FA....

Just heard Chap's interview on the 8th with Grady and Big Joe and he said he expects Indy to go for 2 HUGE FA signings...

LT and CB

Move Costanzo to RT and pair Vontae with a stud and resign Powers, Butler, Vaughn.....      and CB all of a sudden doesn't look too bad.  

WoW...  the Colts a player in FA????    I think Tony Bennett or Chad Bratzke were the last "BIG" name FA's the Colts brought in?

They traded for Simon and Booger.....      

Who is the last Big Name FA Indy has signed?

Just heard Chap's interview on the 8th with Grady and Big Joe and he said he expects Indy to go for 2 HUGE FA signings...

LT and CB

Move Costanzo to RT and pair Vontae with a stud and resign Powers, Butler, Vaughn.....      and CB all of a sudden doesn't look too bad.  

WoW...  the Colts a player in FA????    I think Tony Bennett or Chad Bratzke were the last "BIG" name FA's the Colts brought in?

They traded for Simon and Booger.....      

Who is the last Big Name FA Indy has signed?

Adam Vinateri

Ugh.....Clady will not leave Denver. Long sucked this year, and Wallace is not an elite WR. Kruger is pretty good so I'd like that move as long as he isn't overpriced.

Clady already turned down a 5 year $50 mil deal from Denver before the season. I don't think it's a guarantee that he'll stay.

Long sucked because the Dolphins moved to a zone blocking scheme which isn't really his wheelhouse. He has more than enough credit to his name to still get a big contract, but maybe at a discounted price. 

Mike Wallace might not be "elite" to you but the man averages 1,011 yards, 8 TD's per year. Sounds decent enough for me I guess...

Number 1 free agent acquisition is on the roster. Let's move Pat Angerer to OLB so he isnt a liability in coverage and he can show his monster rushing skills which the colts haven't tried using yet.
Lol.

Pat is far from a 3-4 OLB or a "monster rusher."

Clady already turned down a 5 year $50 mil deal from Denver before the season. I don't think it's a guarantee that he'll stay.

Long sucked because the Dolphins moved to a zone blocking scheme which isn't really his wheelhouse. He has more than enough credit to his name to still get a big contract, but maybe at a discounted price. 

Mike Wallace might not be "elite" to you but the man averages 1,011 yards, 8 TD's per year. Sounds decent enough for me I guess...

I hope you're right and Grigson gets a shot at Clady if he wants...but I'll be surprised if the Broncos don't slap him with a franchise tag.

Not sure Clady would fit in our Power Blocking scheme even if we had a chance to get him, I dont really want him anyway, to much money

Not sure Clady would fit in our Power Blocking scheme even if we had a chance to get him, I dont really want him anyway, to much money

I don't think we get him in the long run, just saying that I don't believe it's out of the realm of possibilities as the user I quoted was eluding to.

Apologies for being a broken record,  and it's only my opinion....   but my read of Grigson is that I doubt he spends $10 Mill a year on ANYBODY.

Not on Clady, or Long, or Wallace, or Bowe or anyone.     I don't think Grigson believes that's the best way to spend his money.

It might be if we were one great player away from the Super Bowl.    But we're not.    We've got a lot of needs.   And it'll be harder to fill all those needs if he's spending $10 Mill x 5.     I don't see it.

I know it's an unpopular opinion around here...   and I could be wrong.    But I'll be very, very surprised if he pops for Big Money on any player.

Just my two cents....

We have options to look at for OLB - Kruger, Anthony Spencer

We have options to look at S - Dashon Goldson, Jairus Byrd

We have options to look at OL - Jake Long, Andy Levitre, Matt Slauson, Louis Vasquez

I would be shocked if Goldson hits FA but you never know. I think either Byrd or Levitre both have a good chance of being franchised or resigned by Buffalo. I can't see them letting both of them leave town.

Ugh.....Clady will not leave Denver. Long sucked this year, and Wallace is not an elite WR. Kruger is pretty good so I'd like that move as long as he isn't overpriced.

Long sucked because he was put into a new o-line system, a zone-blocking system implemented by Philbin. Look at his record in the previous years when he played in a man-to-man blocking system, his record improves substantially.

Long sucked because he was put into a new o-line system, a zone-blocking system implemented by Philbin. Look at his record in the previous years when he played in a man-to-man blocking system, his record improves substantially.

I'm no expert on blocking schemes, but the way I look at it, you block the man that comes into your zone. He gave up a lot of pressure because he was simply beat on the edge. A Left Tackle's number one job is to protect the QB's blind side, blocking scheme doesn't really matter.

As far as Long...    

I like him......     He has been injured and he has played with some "average" QB's.      As far as I am concerned he is better than ANY OLmen Indy has.     I would love to see Indy bring him in, what the heck he is only 27.

I'm no expert on blocking schemes, but the way I look at it, you block the man that comes into your zone. He gave up a lot of pressure because he was simply beat on the edge. A Left Tackle's number one job is to protect the QB's blind side, blocking scheme doesn't really matter.

The QB also has a HUGE responsibility here.    A QB who is a dud and cannot anticipate the rush makes EVERY one on the OL look bad.   

All I know is Miami has ran the ball well with Long.     And that is what this team needs...   a strong running game.    Get that and the rest will fall into place. 

I would be shocked if Goldson hits FA but you never know. I think either Byrd or Levitre both have a good chance of being franchised or resigned by Buffalo. I can't see them letting both of them leave town.

Actually I've read a couple pieces saying they expect the 49ers to let Goldson walk. He was franchised for this year, but they have too many up coming contracts on defense...plus they supposedly have a young safety the are high on.

He would be nice..    29 years old next year, but very productive player.

If he price is right.    If Indy "overpays" at any position it needs to be OL or CB.

Actually I've read a couple pieces saying they expect the 49ers to let Goldson walk. He was franchised for this year, but they have too many up coming contracts on defense...plus they supposedly have a young safety the are high on.

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2009/3/31/815874/zone-blocking-tutorial-inside-zone

http://ezinearticles.com/?GOM-Blocking-Scheme-For-Youth-Football&id=4299460

Zone and Man Blocking schemes explained but brief

Good stuff but when you're talking about a LT in pass protection it's a little different. He has one job; don't let the edge rusher get to the QB. Blocking scheme for running the ball doesn't matter when you're pass blocking.

Well, if that's the case he would definitely be a good pick up. He'd be expensive but you have to have good Safeties these days. Definitely a position worth shelling out some cash

Apologies for being a broken record, and it's only my opinion.... but my read of Grigson is that I doubt he spends $10 Mill a year on ANYBODY.

Not on Clady, or Long, or Wallace, or Bowe or anyone. I don't think Grigson believes that's the best way to spend his money.

It might be if we were one great player away from the Super Bowl. But we're not. We've got a lot of needs. And it'll be harder to fill all those needs if he's spending $10 Mill x 5. I don't see it.

I know it's an unpopular opinion around here... and I could be wrong. But I'll be very, very surprised if he pops for Big Money on any player.

Just my two cents....

I hope you're right. We don't need big name FAs. I'd like to see smaller spending and get more. I believe grigson has a good eye for talent.

Problem is if Indy wants a "premier" player at OL or CB they will be overpaying..    just simply a matter of fact.       They don't grow on trees and EVERY team could use players at both positions.     

I don't mind at all spending for a OT or CB...    I just hope the player can stay healthy.

And If Indy can fill both positions with STUDS the team will be way better immediately.

And personally the more I think about it the more I like the idea of Wallace.   Wayne and Wallace at WR, with Hilton in the slot,  Allen and Fleener at TE....  WOW     ....    That is a wicked set of receivers to throw to.

Wallace would totally open every thing up underneath.    BUT, If Indy fancies a player like him they will be ponying up big $$$.

We will see soon enough know what the team's direction is.    FA will pretty much tell us how our draft will likely go.