Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what available oc could best match arians scheme

Coltivated

I don't know.

But, I know much of this forum seemed to want Arians to take a hike for much of this season here based on various threads. Now that he might be gone I see a different tune at times.....?

I don't like to lose him since I don't love turnover in coaching staffs and he did a good job leading this team on the field for a large part of the season, but at the same time I don't think it will bother me too much if he did leave too. *shrugs*

I know I'll probably catch all kinds of heck for this, but I honestly think Clyde Christensen is a better coordinator than Arians FOR THIS TEAM. Clyde is the only candidate out there right now with ties to both the old and new Colts offense. Many here have called for the Colts to bring back a little of the simplicity of the old offense. And while Clyde isn't the best candidate available, (God's honest truth) I think he'll run the offense better than Arians did when he was here. I'm not a Clyde fan in the least, but realistically, he is the most logical choice for continuity purposes

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What players? Receivers and tight ends fit whatever system you put them in.

As for learning the play book, I'm sure Luck has a leg up on them there, but it's unlikely that we wind up keeping the same offensive system for the rest of all time. At some point, our guys are going to need to be able to pick up new concepts.

I think it's a mistake to hold on to a flawed system just because you're afraid your guys can't learn something else. (Yes, I think Arians' system is flawed.) If we believe someone runs a good system and we have a shot at landing them, we should go for it.

I don't understand your logic here at all. TY Hilton was drafted as a slot deep threat because Arians likes to send a WR and a Slot Receiver deep constantly to open up the field, Brazill was also drafted as a deep threat. Ballard was drafted as a between the tackles runner (despite showing some promise on the outside) because Arians wants a big physical o-line. We drafted two TEs because Arians wanted to play 2-TE sets, both with different intangibles that can create good mismatches. 

Do you think we would have had the same draft with a different offensive system? Players fit into certain systems, that's the way it is.

Some people don't like Arians system and I can understand that, but I personally love it, and I think when all the right pieces are in place it will flourish, and 95% comes down to the o-line. We won 11 games with a pretty weak defense and a offense full of rookies, and it was not the rookies who let us down, it was an atrocious o-line, Arians system worked. Maybe another system would work too, I dunno, but I genuinely have faith in the way this offense is going and would hate to be starting over.

I like the idea of considering someone younger, and up and coming.  I hope Pagano is open to considering guys like Lombardi and not just retreads like Norv. The way Grigson looks for player talent everywhere I think he would also definitely support considering a non big name OC.

I know I'll probably catch all kinds of heck for this, but I honestly think Clyde Christensen is a better coordinator than Arians FOR THIS TEAM. Clyde is the only candidate out there right now with ties to both the old and new Colts offense. Many here have called for the Colts to bring back a little of the simplicity of the old offense. And while Clyde isn't the best candidate available, (God's honest truth) I think he'll run the offense better than Arians did when he was here. I'm not a Clyde fan in the least, but realistically, he is the most logical choice for continuity purposes

It would not bother me at all if it was Clyde either to be honest. But, many fans might not like it since they might want a bigger name. Something new.

I do like Arians and I am OKAY if he stays and I did think there was too much over exaggeration against him at times this year. BUT, I also sometimes think he got to be part of the perfect storm in Indy too and I am not even sure I love the idea of him as a full time head coach on another team yet even though I would wish him luck. He did do a great job last year but Pagano was always the voice, the inspiration and also helped behind the scenes from what I read while recovering. And Luck despite his turnovers and beatings (partly due to Arians too) was ridiculous in the clutch this year which helped us win several games not every QB is going to pull off IMO.

In conclusion, I think no matter what happens I will have faith in Grigson after this past offseason. How can I not? I am sure it will be fine.

I think the future is ridiculously bright and that's not just being a Colts homer. Honestly I am not even sure why Arians would want to leave and not be part of the Luck development but at the same time it does seem to me that he has always had this dream of being a HC full time and might jump on it.

I don't understand your logic here at all. TY Hilton was drafted as a slot deep threat because Arians likes to send a WR and a Slot Receiver deep constantly to open up the field, Brazill was also drafted as a deep threat. Ballard was drafted as a between the tackles runner (despite showing some promise on the outside) because Arians wants a big physical o-line. We drafted two TEs because Arians wanted to play 2-TE sets, both with different intangibles that can create good mismatches. 

Do you think we would have had the same draft with a different offensive system? Players fit into certain systems, that's the way it is.

Some people don't like Arians system and I can understand that, but I personally love it, and I think when all the right pieces are in place it will flourish, and 95% comes down to the o-line. We won 11 games with a pretty weak defense and a offense full of rookies, and it was not the rookies who let us down, it was an atrocious o-line, Arians system worked. Maybe another system would work too, I dunno, but I genuinely have faith in the way this offense is going and would hate to be starting over.

I agree with superman...and I will leave it at that

I like the idea of considering someone younger, and up and coming.  I hope Pagano is open to considering guys like Lombardi and not just retreads like Norv. The way Grigson looks for player talent everywhere I think he would also definitely support considering a non big name OC.

Norv Turner is not a retread. And the problem I have with hiring a young OC is they get poached so quickly nowadays....even though most will get canned after a couple years because they're not ready

Clyde is the only candidate out there right now with ties to both the old and new Colts offense.

That's the good part, and it would be nice if you could blend the two. 

Clyde is probably who it will be.  He was kept for a reason.  He obviously has someone in his corner.

I still very much doubt that Arians goes anywhere despite all the talk going around but if he does I see Clyde given the job more so because it would be the quickest route to fill the void left not necessarily the smartest to filling the void, I'd look at Chris Peterson, former Boise State HC I believe or Brent Pease, current Florida QB coach and O Coordinator also former Boise State O Coordinator

I, like most of you, hope that Arians stays, but if he gets a HC job and we want to maintain continuity, then how about Randy Fichtner? He has been the QB coach for the Steelers the past two or three years and was the WR coach before that starting in 2007, which means he worked with and under Arians for several years and should know the system. He has OC experience at the college level and he has Purdue connections, albeit several years before Grigson. Lastly, Roethlisberger reportedly wanted Fichtner to replace Arians as Steeler OC after the team let Arians go. Sounds like a pretty good endorsement to me.

It would not bother me at all if it was Clyde either to be honest. But, many fans might not like it since they might want a bigger name. Something new.

I do like Arians and I am OKAY if he stays and I did think there was too much over exaggeration against him at times this year. BUT, I also sometimes think he got to be part of the perfect storm in Indy too and I am not even sure I love the idea of him as a full time head coach on another team yet even though I would wish him luck. He did do a great job last year but Pagano was always the voice, the inspiration and also helped behind the scenes from what I read while recovering. And Luck despite his turnovers and beatings (partly due to Arians too) was ridiculous in the clutch this year which helped us win several games not every QB is going to pull off IMO.

In conclusion, I think no matter what happens I will have faith in Grigson after this past offseason. How can I not? I am sure it will be fine.

I think the future is ridiculously bright and that's not just being a Colts homer. Honestly I am not even sure why Arians would want to leave and not be part of the Luck development but at the same time it does seem to me that he has always had this dream of being a HC full time and might jump on it.

Sorry Jules, when you say a bigger name, do you mean someone like Roethlisberger (14) or Rodgers-Cromartie (17). Not sure if you count hyphenated names..... 

I'll have to go with Skip Bayless, he played high school basketball. Claiming he was a starter, which others dispute, he averaged 1.4 ppg per game paving the way for his team to reach the state finals.

Some of his achievements include:

1. An appearance in the 2006 movie Rocky Balboa

2. Established an award winning, critically acclaimed show known as First Take, which is so good I refuse to watch it because I'll get hooked like many others.

3. Wrote books about the Dallas Cowboys.

4. Some other stuff........

Skip would be an enigmatic presence with his brilliance and knowledge of complex football schemes, formulas, and could be considered the next possible architect of the Colts offense.

Skip Bayless has my vote......

He's OC for the Rams, currently interviewing with the Jags for their head coaching spot. I doubt he takes a lateral move.

I wouldn't want him as an OC anyways. I really don't like his offense.

Good point that I think many forget. Teams have the right to block their coaches from making lateral or even lesser moves.

I still very much doubt that Arians goes anywhere despite all the talk going around but if he does I see Clyde given the job more so because it would be the quickest route to fill the void left not necessarily the smartest to filling the void, I'd look at Chris Peterson, former Boise State HC I believe or Brent Pease, current Florida QB coach and O Coordinator also former Boise State O Coordinator

Why do you doubt he leaves? He has a high profile, came off a very impressive run with a very make shift team, and has a history of developing QBs. I don't think any coach with a modicum of self confidence says "Geez, I'd like a Super Bowl, but I'm not likely to be able to run such a caliber team myself. I'll stay safe here and just coordinate." Especially on a team like Indy's, which shows turn arounds can happen quickly. And especially when said coach actually coached the team for a large part of that turn around. His self confidence as an actual head coach has to be skyrocketing, and he'd be perfectly right to think he can do big things as a head coach.

Now can he actually do it well? I don't know. Dick Jauron was a Coach of the Year once, too. But he has every reason to believe he can, and this is his first big opportunity to do it.

Anyone think Lucks old OC Pep Hamiton might be an option? He knows Luck and Fleener well which would makes the transition seamless for Luck. 

He is already scheduled to interview for the same position with the Jets at the begining of next week. His offense is run heavy which right now we arent suited for but I beleive Grigs is going to adress the o-linein the off season because he will finally have some money to spend.

You must a very low opinion of the colts decision makers

Clyde play calling is nothing but predictable

Most play calling is predictable.  It comes down to your players being able to out execute the other team.  I've heard Reggie Wayne say that the Tom Moore offense with the Colts revolved around six plays. 

Honestly if you look at play callers who might catch the other team off guard it happens two or three times a game not from play-to-play. 

I am not saying Clyde is the best hire in the world but I do think play calling is a lot more predictable than we sometimes think.  Honestly if I am sitting at home and can figure out if it's going to be a run or pass and in some cases is it going to be a long pass or not based on what the Colts have done to that point in the season.  I am sure other coaches who get paid to figure out what other teams do can figure out play calling.  It comes down to can you out execute the other team on most plays in the NFL. 

I've tossed this out there in other threads but I am thinking it could be Kirby Wilson the Steelers Running Backs coach.  Rumor was he was going to be the guy to replace Arians last year in Pittsburgh till he was in a very bad house fire.  He coached under Arians so he should know Arians system. 

Clyde play calling is nothing but predictable

And sometimes it's the simple things in life that are the best.  Keep it simple and limit your mistakes.  We have a potential superstar at QB--I'd like to see him given a bit more latitude to call the plays he's comfortable with.

All I want in a new OC is someone who will adjust to the other teams weakness and develop game plans around that instead of saying here is what we do, stop us. BB does this the best in the NFL as much as I dispise the pats, he plays and develops each gameplan based on a defense they play not so much on here is what we do, stop it. So I would like the next OC to incorporate some of BA concepts with ability to adapt both in game and in building a game plan. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Lol

Whoever the new coordinator is, I hope he expands on our 12 personnel package. I'd like to see less 5 wide and more 2 TE sets as our base package for running AND passing. BA really only used 2-3 TE's when he was trying to establish the run. Fleener and Allen should've stayed on the field and been moved all over the place. We rarely showed pass and ran off of it. That little delayed handoff where Luck runs to the back before he hands it off was the only run out of shotgun in our playbook.

Anyways, I'd rather see Reggie, TY, Coby and Dwayne on the field more than I'd want to see Reggie, Avery, TY and Dwayne. Offers way more opportunities for deceptiveness and versatility.

Whoever the new coordinator is, I hope he expands on our 12 personnel package. I'd like to see less 5 wide and more 2 TE sets as our base package for running AND passing. BA really only used 2-3 TE's when he was trying to establish the run. Fleener and Allen should've stayed on the field and been moved all over the place. We rarely showed pass and ran off of it. That little delayed handoff where Luck runs to the back before he hands it off was the only run out of shotgun in our playbook.

Anyways, I'd rather see Reggie, TY, Coby and Dwayne on the field more than I'd want to see Reggie, Avery, TY and Dwayne. Offers way more opportunities for deceptiveness and versatility.

I completely agree.  I'd like to see far more running and passing from a 2 TE set so that we can actually make use of the 2 TE's that we used high draft picks on.

I completely agree.  I'd like to see far more running and passing from a 2 TE set so that we can actually make use of the 2 TE's that we used high draft picks on.

Exactly. If all we intended for Fleener and Allen to do is stay in and help block, we should've just used those 2nd and 3rd picks on linemen.

Exactly. If all we intended for Fleener and Allen to do is stay in and help block, we should've just used those 2nd and 3rd picks on linemen.

Agreed. I still want to see Fleener getting a good amount of snaps playing in the slot. To much of a mismatch to not have him there like Dallas was. Allen is so versatile on the line in being an excellent blocker/catcher I'd continue let him being the sleeper off the line.

I've tossed this out there in other threads but I am thinking it could be Kirby Wilson the Steelers Running Backs coach.  Rumor was he was going to be the guy to replace Arians last year in Pittsburgh till he was in a very bad house fire.  He coached under Arians so he should know Arians system. 

Kirby Wilson? That's a stretch