Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Telesco Officially Chargers' GM (edit)

Andy

I would say "good luck" if they weren'tgoing to San Diego! I wish them all the best personally, but if they do both go the the Chargers then I wish them all the worst "football luck" possible.... I strongly dislike those guys (for obvious reasons) :thmdown:

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I wonder how Irsay feels about them choosing the Chargers of all teams. or if he even holds a grudge atall, like some of us fans.

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I wonder how Irsay feels about them choosing the Chargers of all teams. or if he even holds a grudge atall, like some of us fans.

Why would Irsay hold a grudge against the Chargers? I dislike them because they matched up so well against us in the past and knocked us out of the playoffs twice.

I never heard about any personal conflicts between the owners though.

Why would Irsay hold a grudge against the Chargers? I dislike them because they matched up so well against us in the past and knocked us out of the playoffs twice.

I never heard about any personal conflicts between the owners though.

Those were his 2 superbowls. Superbowls are everything to owners. 07 could have made it back to back superbowls. Maybe we get over it easily but I wonder if he does was all I was pondering.

Those were his 2 superbowls. Superbowls are everything to owners. 07 could have made it back to back superbowls. Maybe we get over it easily but I wonder if he does was all I was pondering.

Well, no one can know what he's thinking, but publicly he's supporting him.

“I appreciate everything he has done for the horseshoe and have no doubt he will be successful for years to come. Everyone in the Colts organization wishes Tom nothing but the best.”

I always had a measure of respect for Telesco, but reading this makes me think we lost someone really special:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/53665/chargers-opt-for-outside-energy

They need a new set of eyes. They need a new philosophy. 

I salute them for making this hire. Prior to the search, it was considered nearly a foregone conclusion that Raye would be promoted. 

But the search committee, which included former Green Bay general manager Ron Wolf, did an excellent job of talking to several outside candidates. From what I understand, Telesco blew the committee away. He was prepared and he had plenty of ideas. 

Plus, he already has skins on the wall. Telesco has been credited for helping the Colts turnaround their roster this season. 

Like the front office, the Chargers’ roster has gotten stale. With new ideas and experience from another franchise, Telesco can breathe new life into this program. 

San Diego owner Dean Spanos told reporters Wednesday that Telesco will run the search for a new head coach, which now begins in earnest. I get the sense the Chargers hired Telesco because they trust he can add something to the program it didn’t have. 

I’m not sure ownership believed it was going to find someone so impressive.

I'll be watching the Chargers' moves with great interest this offseason. I wish Tom the very, very best.

Well, no one can know what he's thinking, but publicly he's supporting him.

“I appreciate everything he has done for the horseshoe and have no doubt he will be successful for years to come. Everyone in the Colts organization wishes Tom nothing but the best.”

Well Irsay's public statements have proven to be less than accurate 100% of the time.

Remember when he said if Peyton is healthy he will be Playing for the Colts?

I am not trying to start up that dead horse, and I see your point. Just saying that Irsay his said the "right" thing in the past when he knew otherwise or "believed" otherwise. So that quote does not really sway me. just my 2 cents.

Well Irsay's public statements have proven to be less than accurate 100% of the time.Remember when he said if Peyton is healthy he will be Playing for the Colts?I am not trying to start up that dead horse, and I see your point. Just saying that Irsay his said the "right" thing in the past when he knew otherwise or "believed" otherwise. So that quote does not really sway me. just my 2 cents.

Could be, I'm sure he's sorry to lose him. Arians could be joining him next.

Also, after listening to some of Tom's comments, I think he might wind up calling Trestman in for an interview himself. Telesco was around here last year when we considered Trestman. Arians might not be the de facto choice there.

I totally agree, and could motivate Rivers back to respectability as a QB....as they say.....sometimes change is good.  We shall see.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but you have to remember we lost those two games to a backup QB, RB, and punter. IMHO, the only SB that should have been ours was the Steelers year.

I totally agree, and could motivate Rivers back to respectability as a QB....as they say.....sometimes change is good.  We shall see.

A lot of rivers problems have to with a lack of talent around him....the chargers just haven't replaced the offensive talent they have lost the last few year

A lot of rivers problems have to with a lack of talent around him....the chargers just haven't replaced the offensive talent they have lost the last few year

Again I will agree....Sproles was bad enough, but the list continued.....Rivers did not adapt quite as well as a certain QB did in Indy for about 14 years when the talent was injured/etc.....:)

I'd prefer not to lose Telesco. He does his job extremely well for us.

Agreed. His talent will be missed. IDK who moves  up or comes in to replace him but you can't argue that for the vast majority of the time he was here the Colts brought in tons of talented players. I hate to see him to to an AFC team. Luckily it isn't in our own division. I think this guy will have SD in the playoff next year. Unfortunately for us I would imagine Arians is #1 on his list of coaches too.

I don't know why everybody is assuming that BA is Telesco's 1st choice. They have exactly 1 season of history with each other and IMO Telesco is a Polian/Dungy/Cladwell type guy and may look to a guy like Lovie Smith. Maybe Telesco does like Arians, but IMO I don't think Arians is going to be Telesco's 1st choice.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 10, 2013 - duplicate
Hidden by Nadine, January 10, 2013 - duplicate
Maybe Arians can turn Rivers around (if in fact BA goes to San Diego) I just hope he bring a bunch of kleenex for Rivers.

Maybe Lovie Smith is the man for the job...he had some Kleenex Moments a la Cutler in the last few years  :funny:

I don't know why everybody is assuming that BA is Telesco's 1st choice. They have exactly 1 season of history with each other and IMO Telesco is a Polian/Dungy/Cladwell type guy and may look to a guy like Lovie Smith. Maybe Telesco does like Arians, but IMO I don't think Arians is going to be Telesco's 1st choice.

Well as you say he could be a Caldwell/Dungy guy but I think with Tom being so close to the situation with the Colts this season he would have seen first hand hous Arians handled the team and would know more closely how Bruce is. Don't forget that Arians was also on the staff back in the late 90's and Telesco was around then also if I'm not mistaken. So, it wouldn't be just 1 year of familiarity. But like anything else in the professional word the managers know in their inner circle who they would work well with and who they wouldn't. The coaching/nfl world is a tight circle and I'm quite sure Telesco and all other front office people are well acquainted with many coaches so I guess you could be right in that respect.

Well Irsay's public statements have proven to be less than accurate 100% of the time.

Remember when he said if Peyton is healthy he will be Playing for the Colts?

I am not trying to start up that dead horse, and I see your point. Just saying that Irsay his said the "right" thing in the past when he knew otherwise or "believed" otherwise. So that quote does not really sway me. just my 2 cents.

Isn't it "beat a dead horse"?

Not meaning to derail the thread, but you have to remember we lost those two games to a backup QB, RB, and punter. IMHO, the only SB that should have been ours was the Steelers year.

This argument is basically pointless seeing as neither of us could ever prove it to be true.

But I mean come on you don't believe we had a chance to win the Superbowl in 2007? We had a MUCH bettter defense than the year previous when we won it all. I mean after winning that magical superbowl in 2006, you did not think it was possible to win in 2007? Because I was truly shocked when we lost. To say we lost to a "Punter" is kind of a stretch. And by no means did we lose to a "back up" QB, rivers put up over 20 some points and Volek played MAYBE 2 possessions. I think you may be exaggerating for effect.

Again this is a rather irrelevant discussion. I am truly surprised you don't think the 07 or 08 Colts had it in them though, I mean they had built on 2006 and Manning was beginning to master the checkdown. Oh and did I mention Bob Sanders won Defensive player of the year that year? We had a significantly better Defense than the year we won the superbowl.

This argument is basically pointless seeing as neither of us could ever prove it to be true.But I mean come on you don't believe we had a chance to win the Superbowl in 2007? We had a MUCH bettter defense than the year previous when we won it all. I mean after winning that magical superbowl in 2006, you did not think it was possible to win in 2007? Because I was truly shocked when we lost. To say we lost to a "Punter" is kind of a stretch. And by no means did we lose to a "back up" QB, rivers put up over 20 some points and Volek played MAYBE 2 possessions. I think you may be exaggerating for effect.Again this is a rather irrelevant discussion. I am truly surprised you don't think the 07 or 08 Colts had it in them though, I mean they had built on 2006 and Manning was beginning to master the checkdown. Oh and did I mention Bob Sanders won Defensive player of the year that year? We had a significantly better Defense than the year we won the superbowl.

Nope, we lost Freeney in 07 and the D wasn't the same. We also lost Brackett. Like I said, when you get beat by a back up QB, RB and punter you can't be that good.