Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton cant play in the cold?

oldunclemark

To me, rain or cold actually slows down a team that relies on pass rushers and benefits the team that can run it well.

Peyton won the SB vs the Bears because we could run it better and the Bears pass rushers were taken out of the game because of that.

So, a good running game is always going to be key in any kind of bad weather, IMO.

This 'glove' he's been wearing...Manning actualy throws better with it than without it...

But I noticed Saturday night..Aaron Rodgers wears nothing on his hand...

..and he doesn't even seem to notice the cold.

But then, he's a freak.

the AFC semifinals..both outdoors in the cold..

both NFC games......warm or dome...

Snow, ice, rain, and cold weather SHOULD benefit the offense, not the defense.

The only real negative is that the ball is more slippery and a little harder to catch and hang onto.

The positives far outweigh that though. Receivers and backs know where their cuts are, and bad footing makes it easier to sell a fake and get the defensive player out of position. Plus, like Chad pointed out, it slows down the pass rush.

As long as your QB can handle that kind of weather, you're gold. I've seen it happen more times than I can remember in NE. Even one game two years ago where the Patriots played the Bears in Chicago... snowing all day... the Bears looked like they didn't want to be there. The Patriots looked like a bunch of happy neighborhood kids playing a pick-up game.

Snow, ice, rain, and cold weather SHOULD benefit the offense, not the defense.

The only real negative is that the ball is more slippery and a little harder to catch and hang onto.

The positives far outweigh that though. Receivers and backs know where their cuts are, and bad footing makes it easier to sell a fake and get the defensive player out of position. Plus, like Chad pointed out, it slows down the pass rush.

As long as your QB can handle that kind of weather, you're gold. I've seen it happen more times than I can remember in NE. Even one game two years ago where the Patriots played the Bears in Chicago... snowing all day... the Bears looked like they didn't want to be there. The Patriots looked like a bunch of happy neighborhood kids playing a pick-up game.

Yep. It also helps an offense that can change its ammo to dink and dunk quickly. Though I hate to admit it :(, based on what I have seen, Brady is by far the best bad weather QB I have seen.

An ancient story. Early in his career he had some horrible stretches in the cold. Of course during that same period he often seemed to only be effective for 1/2 a game regardless of the weather. That was before he started winning MVP awards - not the same QB.

I distinctly remember "no longer being concerned about this" after that 2002 victory in - perhaps not coincidentally - Denver in the snow. (Mike V's spectacular finish!) The weather may affect some things, but he's still going to be vastly superior to the other QB - who has to deal with the same elements. He'll find some way to win.

Yep. It also helps an offense that can change its ammo to dink and dunk quickly. Though I hate to admit it :(, based on what I have seen, Brady is by far the best bad weather QB I have seen.

And he's from So-Cal... so I think it's safe to say it's something any good QB can "learn." It's not like he went to South Dakota State with AV. ;)

The weather usually isn't THAT bad in Denver in January, right? Doesn't all of the crazy weather in Colorado happen in the boonies out west?

Denver has some pretty strange weather. And its really hard to pinpoint the weather until the day before or so. 

This year has been really mild. We havent had much snow and it hasnt really even been that cold until recently. 

....Cold weather is always going to hurt receivers because your hands stiffen up.....

..and rain and snow onbviouly hurts the QB...some do better than others....but nobody on offense wants sub freezing cold and snow

The weather usually isn't THAT bad in Denver in January, right? Doesn't all of the crazy weather in Colorado happen in the boonies out west?

In terms of latitude, Denver isn't any further north than the mid-Atlantic states. If it weren't for the elevation, it'd probably be fairly mild in the winter. (At least compared to the Northeast.)

In terms of latitude, Denver isn't any further north than the mid-Atlantic states. If it weren't for the elevation, it'd probably be fairly mild in the winter. (At least compared to the Northeast.)

The mountains get dumped on all the time and it creates some weird weather here in Denver.

Its been really mild until recently, and even now, its only getting down to about 5 at night, and we've gotten very little snow. 

Most of the huge snow storms come in February and March

The mountains get dumped on all the time and it creates some weird weather here in Denver.

Its been really mild until recently, and even now, its only getting down to about 5 at night, and we've gotten very little snow. 

Most of the huge snow storms come in February and March

I was out by you in the late 90s to climb Elbert in February... deep snow, but I was pleasantly surprised at how mild it was! Absolutely beautiful state you've got there, I hope you enjoy it.

As for cold weather.. we havent climbed above 20* for the last two weeks and out nightly lows have all been in the negatives. Lowest this winter was -20*.. Denver has been much milder, but the elevation and thin cold air will be the determining factor.

It will hurt the Ravens. Make no mistake.. it hurts me and I live here year round.. ;)

Forecast calls for 21° and snow on the 12th ... hmmmmmm I don't think that's in Peytons best interest, but its better than rain.   If the Broncos win, the following Sunday it will be around 42° and sunny for the AFC championship .... if you can trust those extended forecast!   That sounds great for Peyton!

Ed Reed is waiting for that pick 6 :neener:

Ed Reed and Rodney Harrison, they have a way of anticipating Peyton's head fakes. Most of Peyton's picks with Reed though have come to the right side, even the latest one with Garcon over there where Marvin used to be.

Rodney Harrison was a king of picking Peyton off in the middle. Early in his career, Peyton did throw a lot more in the middle and Rodney Harrison was a big recipient. Over time, he went to the sidelines for help though the routes that the Tom Moore offense ran did leave one-on-one isolation with some predictable diggs and comebacks that led to Asante Samuel and Tracy Porter pick sixes if not executed right with separation.

DeMaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, I dont think Peyton has had a duo like those 2 with a height advantage. While I do think taller WRs have lower catch rates and completion %s (ask Eli with Plaxico, dont bring in Megatron here, he defies all odds :)), the elements of risk do go down a bit because you are not reliant on perfect execution and separation every single time. The storylines and evolution of a different kind of Peyton offense should be interesting to watch. Brady did evolve from those vertical Randy Moss routes to underneath TE mismatch routes, and that is what good QBs do, evolve with what they have.

This 'glove' he's been wearing...Manning actualy throws better with it than without it...

But I noticed Saturday night..Aaron Rodgers wears nothing on his hand...

..and he doesn't even seem to notice the cold.

But then, he's a freak.

the AFC semifinals..both outdoors in the cold..

both NFC games......warm or dome...

I posted a bit back, u may have seen it,  an article that said he is wearing the glove  & get this, in the cold  due to the nerve injury not fully regenerated at this point , makes it that he doesnt really feel the ball enough to  grip it his hand gets numb , The glove keeps his hand warmer, allowing him to grip better

He has played well in it

....Cold weather is always going to hurt receivers because your hands stiffen up.....

..and rain and snow onbviouly hurts the QB...some do better than others....but nobody on offense wants sub freezing cold and snow

As for cold weather.. we havent climbed above 20* for the last two weeks and out nightly lows have all been in the negatives. Lowest this winter was -20*.. Denver has been much milder, but the elevation and thin cold air will be the determining factor.

It will hurt the Ravens. Make no mistake.. it hurts me and I live here year round.. ;)

Forecast calls for 21° and snow on the 12th ... hmmmmmm I don't think that's in Peytons best interest, but its better than rain.   If the Broncos win, the following Sunday it will be around 42° and sunny for the AFC championship .... if you can trust those extended forecast!   That sounds great for Peyton!

yeah day before 38 & mostly sunny

Day after 27 & sunny

only sat snow, 30 % chance

better have deep cleats to run routes, if fall or mistep its an IT with timing throws

http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USCO0105

Ed Reed and Rodney Harrison, they have a way of anticipating Peyton's head fakes. Most of Peyton's picks with Reed though have come to the right side, even the latest one with Garcon over there where Marvin used to be.

Rodney Harrison was a king of picking Peyton off in the middle. Early in his career, Peyton did throw a lot more in the middle and Rodney Harrison was a big recipient. Over time, he went to the sidelines for help though the routes that the Tom Moore offense ran did leave one-on-one isolation with some predictable diggs and comebacks that led to Asante Samuel and Tracy Porter pick sixes if not executed right with separation.

DeMaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, I dont think Peyton has had a duo like those 2 with a height advantage. While I do think taller WRs have lower catch rates and completion %s (ask Eli with Plaxico, dont bring in Megatron here, he defies all odds :)), the elements of risk do go down a bit because you are not reliant on perfect execution and separation every single time. The storylines and evolution of a different kind of Peyton offense should be interesting to watch. Brady did evolve from those vertical Randy Moss routes to underneath TE mismatch routes, and that is what good QBs do, evolve with what they have.

If I remember Porter plays for the Broncos now right? Well he could get his share of picks on Flacco. :thmup:

Ravens fans have to come up with something to get their hopes up because everyone else knows the Broncos gonna stampede over those birds....

Egg nog at Christmas, Pumpkin Pie at Thanksgiving, & Terrell Suggs has never beaten Peyton Manning...Isn't tradition just wonderful? The Ravens season is over now & your wings have been officially clipped. It was a nice run Ray Lewis, but your SB run is at a DEAD END now...Sorry...

deadravenbook.jpg

& everything hurts worse in the cold. That ball hitting those hands while a safety is jamming those ribs..... ouch

Hasn't everyone heard? If it's not a perfect 72 degrees with zero precipitation, preferably at about 1,000 feet elevation, Manning can't play. The Broncos are better off letting Brock Osweiler start this one. Save Manning for the dome game. Isn't the Super Bowl in New Orleans? Yeah, let the rookie get them there, then let Manning do his business indoors.

Egg nog at Christmas, Pumpkin Pie at Thanksgiving, & Terrell Suggs has never beaten Peyton Manning...Isn't tradition just wonderful? The Ravens season is over now & your wings have been officially clipped. It was a nice run Ray Lewis, but your SB run is at a DEAD END now...Sorry...

deadravenbook.jpg

So you are saying that the Ravens will beat Denver...nevermore, right?  (Couldn't resist that.)

I heard the Baltimore radio guy Monday (on NFL-TV) say that the Ravens are built to play

in cold weather and that Peyton Manning always struggles in the cold...

Is that what many see..and it that relevant now with a new team?

What do you think?

yes Manning has struggled at times in the cold/bad weather, but we all must remember those are always on the road games and are generally against the better teams in the league, and lastly in the playoffs where one will get the best of the best . . .

With Manning now playing at home in the cold, and should be in Denver for the next 4 years, we'll should get some home games for Manning and we'll get a better idea as we will have more games to look at to review the issue . . .

it should be a good game Saturday afternoon . . .

And he's from So-Cal... so I think it's safe to say it's something any good QB can "learn." It's not like he went to South Dakota State with AV. ;)

Actually, he's from NoCal, no??

If memory serves, the 2003 divisional round game at KC was pretty frigid, yet Manning torched the Chiefs' D.

Actually, he's from NoCal, no??

If memory serves, the 2003 divisional round game at KC was pretty frigid, yet Manning torched the Chiefs' D.

My bad, you are correct... he's from the Bay Area, which I think is considered No-Cal?

call me a peyton fan...but is it just me that thinks that this game is really Broncos sided? i just dont see how the ravens can win.

i saw the colts at times move the ball at will just stupid drops or errors, false starts etc were the reason we had 9 points instead of 21. if ballard ran at will during the first half, broncos OL should open the same holes. and i dont see DT and Decker dropping 10 balls as we did last game

heck we won the TOP battle and they are supposed to be the team with the running game.

If I remember Porter plays for the Broncos now right? Well he could get his share of picks on Flacco. :thmup:

He is but he will likely not play. He has been dogged with illness and Chris Harris/Tony Carter played so well in his place (better than Porter actually), he is kind of an odd man out at this point. It didn't help he had a concussion his first game back against Cleveland. I'm afraid he might even be the one who will be cut/placed on IR to activate McGahee. Either way, he won't be back next season, I'm sure.

He is but he will likely not play. He has been dogged with illness and Chris Harris/Tony Carter played so well in his place (better than Porter actually), he is kind of an odd man out at this point. It didn't help he had a concussion his first game back against Cleveland. I'm afraid he might even be the one who will be cut/placed on IR to activate McGahee. Either way, he won't be back next season, I'm sure.

Thanks for the added information. :thmup:

Thanks for the added information. :thmup:

even the  Denver post put forth the idea that if Lcgahee is reibstated active, Porter is best option to be downgraded 

Frankly as he only played in first game well and then had issues with seizures and out extended period of time I was surprised seeing how DB worked well together that on first d series in Cleveland he was back in, thats when got concussion  

but the coaches said he earned it in practice as the reason, still to me that could affect a good DB unit throwing in a new player after all those weeks of knowing each other, for depth though hes good, but I also doubt back next year

Strange thing is preseason and after game 1 , the media had a field day saying what a great aquistion FA signing to go opposite Baiery