Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Austin Collie?

bap1331

Let's see how he is when FA starts, but I highly doubt the Colts will bring him back after all that's happened.

I'm surprised he hasn't retired yet. He really should if he's worried about his safety and his longterm health.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order for Collie to "work" he's have to move from the slot to outside so he could try to avoid having concussions. He has sure hands, but I don't think he has the speed we need to move him outside.

He was lined up on the outside on the play where he got hit in the head against the Steelers. Receivers run all kinds of routes from all different places on the field. You can't gameplan to avoid contact.

He was lined up on the outside on the play where he got hit in the head against the Steelers. Receivers run all kinds of routes from all different places on the field. You can't gameplan to avoid contact.

That's just it. If he can't succeed in not getting KO'd on the outside, how would he even attempt to try to play slot again?

I think if he goes back to wearing Bill Simpson's helmet, he'll have a fighting chance, but I still don't see him staying healthy a whoel season unfortuantely.

Good read.....

http://theconcussionblog.com/2011/08/22/bill-simpson-enters-football-helmet-race/

That's just it. If he can't succeed in not getting KO'd on the outside, how would he even attempt to try to play slot again?

I think if he goes back to wearing Bill Simpson's helmet, he'll have a fighting chance, but I still don't see him staying healthy a whoel season unfortuantely.

Good read.....

http://theconcussionblog.com/2011/08/22/bill-simpson-enters-football-helmet-race/

The point is that it doesn't matter where you line up. A receiver's routes take him all over the field, no matter whether he lines up outside or in the slot. Unless you're going to have him run outs and go routes every time, and even then, he can be hit in the head.

As for the Simpson helmet, I think we're crowning it a little too early. It's a product with great potential, along with the other helmet advances being made, but it's not going to solve any problems, and even Simpson says that.

Despite the helmet just being along for the ride, much of the discussion about improving player safety has focused on headgear. We've come to see head injuries as a problem we can use technology to solve. Recently, SI's Will Carroll wrote about the new helmet being designed by IndyCar racing's Bill Simpson and Chip Ganassi. Their model boasts carbon fiber and Kevlar and an innovative interior padding that exceeds the industry standard for helmets when it comes to cushioning impact. However, when Pop Sci asked Simpson if the helmet could reduce concussions, he responded, "Oh, hell no. I would never make a claim about that."

The point is that it doesn't matter where you line up. A receiver's routes take him all over the field, no matter whether he lines up outside or in the slot. Unless you're going to have him run outs and go routes every time, and even then, he can be hit in the head.

As for the Simpson helmet, I think we're crowning it a little too early. It's a product with great potential, along with the other helmet advances being made, but it's not going to solve any problems, and even Simpson says that.

Despite the helmet just being along for the ride, much of the discussion about improving player safety has focused on headgear. We've come to see head injuries as a problem we can use technology to solve. Recently, SI's Will Carroll wrote about the new helmet being designed by IndyCar racing's Bill Simpson and Chip Ganassi. Their model boasts carbon fiber and Kevlar and an innovative interior padding that exceeds the industry standard for helmets when it comes to cushioning impact. However, when Pop Sci asked Simpson if the helmet could reduce concussions, he responded, "Oh, hell no. I would never make a claim about that."

I wasn't crowning it early, but it defintely could be. Collie was wearing the Simpson helmet in 2011. <- concussion free.

I felt like Collie was a victim of poor playcalling. The concussions all came on the same sort of post into triple coverage where he had no chance but to get hit. I think he could be a valuable asset if he were protected more. Whalen will be interesting to watch but he is 20 pounds lighter and 1 inch shorter than Collie. Something to consider.

Yeah, he has some horrible  luck.  I remember being at the  game he got his second concussion at late in the 010 season I think and PM put the ball right between 2 defenders  where Collie proceeded to get crushed. That being said, once the concussions get rolling they become more frequent , he may just be damaged goods now. Admire his courage and tenacity but maybe he should just hang it up for the future of his family.

You know with all our young offense weapons that performed so well this year, I completely forgot about Collie. I think Grigson will cut him. We are not reliant on him like we are with Wayne. Collie is expendable now. Goodbye Austin & good luck in your next career.  

What's his status? It's been so long ago, I can't remember what his last injury was. Was it concussion related? Didn't we lose someone to something that was going to be long on recovery (potentially beyond the start of the new season)? I suppose that could apply to anyone, but I thought it was Collie.

I have hope Whalen will pan out, but to call him a collie clone when we really haven't seem him play is a stretch. Plus he has had injury issues, thus the reason he is on IR

Fair enough but obviously I did not mean it from a production standpoint, I meant in the way they both play, getting open underneath, Collie is slightly bigger however. I honestly would not be surprised to see Whalen go the route of Collie in that he has potential but he may not be able to stay on the field to reach that potential, Just my guess. I happen to favor bigger taller wr's in general and not these short jitterbug receivers who have speed but once they get hit they get dinged up quite often

I have always liked Collie as a player and a person.  However with all the new young talent we have, we should just part ways and not take the chance anymore on an injury prone player.  Hopefully he decides for his own health and well being to quit football as a player.  Haven't seen any reports from him since his knee took him out this year.

Have to applaud everyone here for making this far in thread without taking personal shots and getting into a fight of words.

I have always liked Collie as a player and a person.  However with all the new young talent we have, we should just part ways and not take the chance anymore on an injury prone player.  Hopefully he decides for his own health and well being to quit football as a player.  Haven't seen any reports from him since his knee took him out this year.

Have to applaud everyone here for making this far in thread without taking personal shots and getting into a fight of words.

Okay. Here's the answer to my question (type of injury). Wasn't the injury potentially something that would go into the new season? I like him too, but he's such an injury risk. I remember when he was back out on the field, I was holding my breath every time he got the ball.

It's sad really. Austin has a tremendous work ethic, he was a very good INDY community role model, & he was a very smart player. Just the kind of guy you root for to have a long & illustrious NFL career. Not 1 cut short by injury & concussions. Sorry Austin. You don't deserve this man. Your body just broke down way too quick. Not fair at all IMO...Sigh...

We can't keep you though, if you aren't producing on the field though. This is business not steadfast family loyalty.

I'm not opposed to seeing what Collie looks like in training camp first, but my outlook for his future here isn't good, especially in contact drills. I'll give a shot to compete for a roster spot, but, I'm not overly optimistic. I'd release him without hesitation if he can't execute on the field.

Where is all of this support for Whalen coming from? Dude made a few plays in the preseason.

I like Collie, but there's plenty of reason to assume he's done as Colt if not for good. 

This is a board that was convinced Blair White was a future star

This is a board that was convinced Blair White was a future star

I wasn't around the board back then but White had 5 td's in '10 in 4 starts, Certainly not a star but for that being his first year that did said he had potential, Thing is we already had Wayne, Garcon and Collie (Although not a healthy Collie, played 9 games that year). Fair to say White could play he just was not given many starts to prove it

I wasn't around the board back then but White had 5 td's in '10 in 4 starts, Certainly not a star but for that being his first year that did said he had potential, Thing is we already had Wayne, Garcon and Collie (Although not a healthy Collie, played 9 games that year). Fair to say White could play he just was not given many starts to prove it

That's called a HOF QB making due. Is white even in the league anymore?

I think was should just give him one last chance. I think that he would have been a big impact this season. He's clutch and could end up being lucks favorite target on 3Rd downs when we really need it. What do you say? Give him one last chance? :)

The only impact Collie will have is on his brain after his next concussion!

I really think its time to move into another direction with him.

Love Austin. Great hands but no thank you. Cheap or not, with the spotlight on concussions and his history I think Austin is one big hit from being done in the nfl. Playing the slot opens you up to the big hit is why I'm a fan of the bigger inside wr. Some have suggested moving him to the outside but his knock was his speed and to add to that problem Austin is coming off a knee injury. So with that being said I would look elsewhere.

I think he deserves another shot. A knee injury can happen to anyone at anytime, and isn't a reason to retire or go elsewhere. This isn't an Anthony Gonzalez or Bob Sanders story ya know. The concussion against Pitt in the preseason had nothing to do with this most current injury.

I say bring him back this season. If he gets injured again then let him go. He obviously makes this team better, and I can only imagine how dangerous we'd be with Wayne/Allen/Collie/Hilton on the field at the same time.

I think he deserves another shot. A knee injury can happen to anyone at anytime, and isn't a reason to retire or go elsewhere. This isn't an Anthony Gonzalez or Bob Sanders story ya know. The concussion against Pitt in the preseason had nothing to do with this most current injury.

I say bring him back this season. If he gets injured again then let him go. He obviously makes this team better, and I can only imagine how dangerous we'd be with Wayne/Allen/Collie/Hilton on the field at the same time.

How many time are we going to keep saying "oh, give him one more chance"? No matter how many times he gets injured somebody always says "give him another chance". Thank God, we have people in the front office that can look past emotion and get rid of somebody when it's time......and, its time.

How many time are we going to keep saying "oh, give him one more chance"? No matter how many times he gets injured somebody always says "give him another chance". Thank God, we have people in the front office that can look past emotion and get rid of somebody when it's time......and, its time.

Because I guess I look at talent, and talent trumps bad luck. When you become a GM you can decide and say what you want, but until then your opinion is exactly that... An opinion. Thank God for that, right?

Because I guess I look at talent, and talent trumps bad luck. When you become a GM you can decide and say what you want, but until then your opinion is exactly that... An opinion. Thank God for that, right?

When a guy just can not stay healthy and has had as many concussions as Collie has, there has to come a time when you just have to part ways. I just don't want them getting into another Bob Sanders or Anthony Gonzalez situation. Guys on the roster that can't stay on the field to help produce. It makes no difference how talented a guy is if he can't stay healthy and Collie has shown no ability to stay healthy.

BTW, I like the guy too and wish things were different for him, but facts are facts.

That's a nice saying but it is far safer for a TE or RB going across the middle than a little WR.

Are we talking about general injuries? Sure. Concussions? It doesn't matter. If you get in the head -- whether you're 5'8" or 6'6" -- you are at risk for a brain injury.

The other thing is that this is in no way limited to receivers going across the middle of the field or lining up in the slot. Football is played across the width of the field. You can't restrict a player from any particular section of it. If Collie is going to play, he's at risk, as simple as that. Can't line him up on the outside or keep him from running particular routes, not from a safety standpoint nor from a practicality standpoint.

That's called a HOF QB making due. Is white even in the league anymore?

He is not. However, he made some nice plays when he got the chance. That touchdown against the Patriots was high quality.

Are we talking about general injuries? Sure. Concussions? It doesn't matter. If you get in the head -- whether you're 5'8" or 6'6" -- you are at risk for a brain injury.

The other thing is that this is in no way limited to receivers going across the middle of the field or lining up in the slot. Football is played across the width of the field. You can't restrict a player from any particular section of it. If Collie is going to play, he's at risk, as simple as that. Can't line him up on the outside or keep him from running particular routes, not from a safety standpoint nor from a practicality standpoint.

I mean I don't want to get into what would seem to be a commonsense debate but it is ALWAYS going to be safer for a TE or RB to go across the middle than a little WR. Much less one that has had his brains scrambled....probably more than any other WR I can think of.

I think you understrand what I'm saying. :)

I mean I don't want to get into what would seem to be a commonsense debate but it is ALWAYS going to be safer for a TE or RB to go across the middle than a little WR. Much less one that has had his brains scrambled....probably more than any other WR I can think of.

I think you understrand what I'm saying. :)

I don't disagree with that. I'm just saying that I don't think it matters what size you are or what position you play or where you line up, specifically as it pertains to concussions. If you get hit in the head, it doesn't matter if you're big or little, fast or slow, strong or not-so-strong, iron man or injury prone. Getting hit in the head is the same for every NFL player.

Unless, of course, you have a history of brain injuries. Then it's even worse.