Photo

Freeney - could this potentially be his last game?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#41 Balzer40

Balzer40
  • 6664 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Freeney won't be back. He is not good in this system. In fact, he is a liability especially against the run. I don't want him back, even at a reduced contract. We need to add somebody that can actually play a 3-4 OLBer position. Freeney needs to go to a 4-3 team where he can pad his sack numbers considering thats really all he's good for.

"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today". -- James Dean.

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind. Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#42 IndyTrav

IndyTrav
  • 2908 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

It was crazy watching the Ravens OLBs contain. It was like "who's this guy holding the edge" I had heard rumors that it could be done, but never actually seen it.

I like to argue. 

#43 ColtsBlueFL

ColtsBlueFL

Off IR but on to the PUP list

• Forum Moderator
  • 3389 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Well, if he doesn't take a big paycut then he'll be gone.

I think that the FO would rather keep him than get rid of him. Just a thought.

He'll take a paycut, but also take the best mutilyear deal he can find- if he gets one.

“There’s no question he’s (Luck) a complete football player and one of the top quarterbacks in this league already. He has a great career in front of him but I think he’s already established himself as a very poised and talented player that can do a lot of things to beat you and he manages his team well and plays good situational football.” -New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick

#44 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4815 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I don't see him taking a paycut, and I don't see him staying in Indy.

Love Freeney.....but he's a goner after this season. Thanks for the good times!

#45 House

House
  • 6971 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

He's going, and needs to be gone. Even if he was willing to take a pay cut.

I don't hate Dwight. Far from it. But he doesn't fit our system. He isn't productive, and it's just not going to work no matter what IMO.

I wish him all the best because he will be successful somewhere for someone. And I have no doubts he will showcase why he is big time either.
In another moment, down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

#46 NewColtsFan

NewColtsFan
  • 8435 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Wasn't Freeney's cap hit about $19M with about a $14M salary?

Yes....   you are correct.    Sorry for my fumbling the numbers....   good catch....

#47 nothing0

nothing0
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

http://profootballta...d-money-number/

37 mil in dead money last year. 

Freeney was 14m salary and 5bonus. The bonus would have been paid if he was on the roster or not. 

That's why I didn't understand why they kept him last year. Grigson could have done a lot with 14 Mil and 
Freeney didn't produce in this system. Hindsight I guess. 

#48 Bubba

Bubba
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Maybe it was just me but Freeney wasn't beating many guys out there. He played hard but Mathis was more disruptive.

So long, Freeney, I suppose???

Our pass rush was not getting there consistently, and theirs was, basically the difference in the game in a nutshell.

Time to go Freeney!! Way over paid for what we have gotten out of him the last two years or so. Between his and Mannings $$$ we were strapped. Obviously he was all about the $$$, and once he is gone he won't see much $$ from other teams. To bad Freeney was to worried about his bank account. Only business I guess.

#49 Brooklyn Colt

Brooklyn Colt
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Time to go Freeney!! Way over paid for what we have gotten out of him the last two years or so. Between his and Mannings $$$ we were strapped. Obviously he was all about the $$$, and once he is gone he won't see much $$ from other teams. To bad Freeney was to worried about his bank account. Only business I guess.

y'all are way too full of yourselves here..you know all this how??? Freeney has been a class act his entire time he has been on this team..no controversies whatsoever..NONE..and has even played in games hurt(basically this whole season)..but people like you drag his name through the mud and paint him as a person that you have no clue about..think before you type and before you attempt to press a key on your keyboard think again..

#50 husker61

husker61
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

y'all are way too full of yourselves here..you know all this how??? Freeney has been a class act his entire time he has been on this team..no controversies whatsoever..NONE..and has even played in games hurt(basically this whole season)..but people like you drag his name through the mud and paint him as a person that you have no clue about..think before you type and before you attempt to press a key on your keyboard think again..

even though i think the colts should have parted ways with him last year, i completely agree with your post.

#51 Bubba

Bubba
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Really........Really..........I never said that he wasn't a class act in the Colts organization. Look at the production over the last two years or better out of him, it's at best mediocre, and lets face it with the type of $$$ he was making there was no room for him to be mediocre. If you or I are mediocre or below at our jobs, guess what we would be out on the street. Freeney could have helped the Colts out and restructured his contract but DID NOT. At that point you know that it is ALL about the $$$. Come on, all players play hurt basically the entire season so I'm not giving him a pass for that. He wasn't worth the $$$ we paid but we had zero choice. And don't lecture me about thinking before I press enter. What makes you such an expert over your last 431 posts, obviously you have opinions as well but I'm sure they are all perfect opinions. Forums are for individual opinions weather you agree or disagree......so please get over yourself...

#52 dw49

dw49
  • 4114 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

I don't see him taking a paycut, and I don't see him staying in Indy.

Love Freeney.....but he's a goner after this season. Thanks for the good times!

Why do some of you keep saying "paycut ?" He has no contract for 2013. There is no paycut to be considered. He will sign a new deal that will probably be 2-3 years at a figure much less than the base salary of the 14 million he had this year. The "paycut " you guys speak of would have been appropriate for this year. For some reason the Colts prefered to just pay the last year of the contract rather than try to do another contract or force him to take a cut in base or find a new team. i think the Colts figured they wouldn't compete in 2012 and Freeney would help make them respectable. They would then use the saved cap space in 2013 instead of 2012.

#53 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4815 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Why do some of you keep saying "paycut ?" He has no contract for 2013. There is no paycut to be considered. He will sign a new deal that will probably be 2-3 years at a figure much less than the base salary of the 14 million he had this year. The "paycut " you guys speak of would have been appropriate for this year. For some reason the Colts prefered to just pay the last year of the contract rather than try to do another contract or force him to take a cut in base or find a new team. i think the Colts figured they wouldn't compete in 2012 and Freeney would help make them respectable. They would then use the saved cap space in 2013 instead of 2012.

Paycut with another team. DeR.

#54 dw49

dw49
  • 4114 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Paycut with another team. DeR.

That too would be contingent on him having an existing contract. There is no "paycut" involved here. Freeney will look a offers from various teams , providing he doesn't resign with the Colts before free agency starts , and sign the deal he likes. A paycut would be for instance... Marvin Harrison was scheduled to make 10 million $ in 2009 and was offered 3 million. I'm guessing at those numbers , but that is considered being offered a paycut. When another team offers a paycut , that is when a player under contract is traded to another team and the deal is contingent on that player taking a salary less than he is unedr contract for.

#55 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4815 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

That too would be contingent on him having an existing contract. There is no "paycut" involved here. Freeney will look a offers from various teams , providing he doesn't resign with the Colts before free agency starts , and sign the deal he likes. A paycut would be for instance... Marvin Harrison was scheduled to make 10 million $ in 2009 and was offered 3 million. I'm guessing at those numbers , but that is considered being offered a paycut. When another team offers a paycut , that is when a player under contract is traded to another team and the deal is contingent on that player taking a salary less than he is unedr contract for.

He's not going to make as much money with another team as he did in Indy. = pay cut.

#56 FalseStart

FalseStart
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

M. I. N. G. O. and Mingo was his name oh...  Kidding. Need OL or S/DB help. Freeney to Denver or Dallas

#57 chad72

chad72
  • 9467 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

M. I. N. G. O. and Mingo was his name oh...  Kidding. Need OL or S/DB help. Freeney to Denver or Dallas

Denver does not need him. They have younger pass rushing legs that play the run well.

Besides, among all the ex-Colts, only Stokely and Tamme joined Peyton. Clark went to Tampa, Garcon to Washington, Saturday to Packers, Wayne stayed with the Colts.

Freeney will go to a division with a D that needs to play pass heavy offenses, like the NFC South or NFC North to either the Falcons, Vikings or Saints, IMO. Cowboys is a possibility if they change to a 4-3 and hire Lovie Smith as DC. However, too much talent drafted for 3-4 makes it unlikely, IMO.

#58 FalseStart

FalseStart
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Denver does not need him. They have younger pass rushing legs that play the run well.

Besides, among all the ex-Colts, only Stokely and Tamme joined Peyton. Clark went to Tampa, Garcon to Washington, Saturday to Packers, Wayne stayed with the Colts.

Freeney will go to a division with a D that needs to play pass heavy offenses, like the NFC South or NFC North to either the Falcons, Vikings or Saints, IMO. Cowboys is a possibility if they change to a 4-3 and hire Lovie Smith as DC. However, too much talent drafted for 3-4 makes it unlikely, IMO.

Thanks.

#59 dw49

dw49
  • 4114 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

He's not going to make as much money with another team as he did in Indy. = pay cut.

One more time. A pay cut in the NFL is agreeing to stay with a team for a salary that less that his contract calls for. Or it could be that a player traded that is still under contract , agrees to play for less than his contract base salary. He has no base salary in 2013 , so there is no pay cut. It's just a new contract. 

#60 Gavin

Gavin
  • 18207 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I think it was more along the lines of the coaching staff new how they were going to use Freeney and Freeney new as well but the coaching staff seemingly ignored that Freeney is a horrific run defender expecting he would be able to produce a high number of sacks to (in other words (The staff new he could not run block but chose to ignore it do to his ability to sack the qb ignoring the fact that even if he got sacks those yards could be made up just by simply running at him, a one trick pony (a great trick thats worked for years now but a trick that could be avoided just with a simple run play in his direction).Long story short is for this to truely take a step forward then Freeney has to go to a 4-3 team. The Jags would be a good place but they would not do it, they will likely draft Jarvis Jones

#61 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4815 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

One more time. A pay cut in the NFL is agreeing to stay with a team for a salary that less that his contract calls for. Or it could be that a player traded that is still under contract , agrees to play for less than his contract base salary. He has no base salary in 2013 , so there is no pay cut. It's just a new contract. 

No more times. Just agree to disagree already....geesh.

Noun: pay cut - the act of reducing a salary.

#62 bavanlan

bavanlan
  • 1897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

No more times. Just agree to disagree already....geesh.

Noun: pay cut - the act of reducing a salary.

Stop arguing semantics, it's freaking annoying...and I'm a lawyer.

Haters Gonna Hate.

gallery_46_8_186.jpg

If [our] O-Line was a poker hand, I'd draw three. - Smonroe (9/26/12)

#63 bavanlan

bavanlan
  • 1897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Really........Really..........I never said that he wasn't a class act in the Colts organization. Look at the production over the last two years or better out of him, it's at best mediocre, and lets face it with the type of $$$ he was making there was no room for him to be mediocre. If you or I are mediocre or below at our jobs, guess what we would be out on the street. Freeney could have helped the Colts out and restructured his contract but DID NOT. At that point you know that it is ALL about the $$$. Come on, all players play hurt basically the entire season so I'm not giving him a pass for that. He wasn't worth the $$$ we paid but we had zero choice. And don't lecture me about thinking before I press enter. What makes you such an expert over your last 431 posts, obviously you have opinions as well but I'm sure they are all perfect opinions. Forums are for individual opinions weather you agree or disagree......so please get over yourself...

1) It's always about the money;

2) We did have a choice to pay him;

3) We clearly valued him enough at that time to keep him;

4) If we're willing to pay him that much, why should he take less?

Haters Gonna Hate.

gallery_46_8_186.jpg

If [our] O-Line was a poker hand, I'd draw three. - Smonroe (9/26/12)

#64 lollygagger8

lollygagger8
  • 4815 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

AGREED

#65 husker61

husker61
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

agreed, it's like the spelling police. who cares!

#66 chad72

chad72
  • 9467 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Looks like the Cowboys are moving to a 4-3 after all (though they may do it ala Bears style), making Freeney a very good possibility to chase around NFC East QBs. Add them to the Falcons, Saints, Vikings list of possible places he will land, IMO.

Does this mean Jason Garrett is fired and Lovie smith is hired as head coach? Just wondering what else is there in Jerry Jones' brain... :)

Maybe he wants Norv Turner back like the old days as OC???

#67 Balzer40

Balzer40
  • 6664 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Looks like the Cowboys are moving to a 4-3 after all (though they may do it ala Bears style), making Freeney a very good possibility to chase around NFC East QBs. Add them to the Falcons, Saints, Vikings list of possible places he will land, IMO.

Does this mean Jason Garrett is fired and Lovie smith is hired as head coach? Just wondering what else is there in Jerry Jones' brain... :)

Maybe he wants Norv Turner back like the old days as OC???

I Thought about Lovie going to Dallas too, but I think Jerry would still owe Garrett a lot of money if he fired him. There was a story that Jerry is trying to get Garrett to quit, because Jerry wants him to fire his brother(TE's coach) and take away his playcalling duties. BTW, Im pretty sure Norv is on his way to Cleveland.

#68 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 13677 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I Thought about Lovie going to Dallas too, but I think Jerry would still owe Garrett a lot of money if he fired him. There was a story that Jerry is trying to get Garrett to quit, because Jerry wants him to fire his brother(TE's coach) and take away his playcalling duties. BTW, Im pretty sure Norv is on his way to Cleveland.

If no one hires Lovie I could see Dallas going after Lovie as a DC.  It would give them a guy with a good Head Coaching experience on the staff if they want to fire Garrett mid-season too.  Not how most teams do business in the NFL but I could see Jerry doing it that way. 

Thank You Peyton! I look forward to the day you come home and we get to do this good bye thing right!

#69 Balzer40

Balzer40
  • 6664 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

If no one hires Lovie I could see Dallas going after Lovie as a DC.  It would give them a guy with a good Head Coaching experience on the staff if they want to fire Garrett mid-season too.  Not how most teams do business in the NFL but I could see Jerry doing it that way. 

Problem is, Dallas just hired Monte Kiffin yesterday as their DC.

#70 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 13677 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Problem is, Dallas just hired Monte Kiffin yesterday as their DC.

Oh hadn't seen that yet.  Well if you are going to run a Tampa 2 he's the guy. 

Thank You Peyton! I look forward to the day you come home and we get to do this good bye thing right!

#71 Balzer40

Balzer40
  • 6664 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Oh hadn't seen that yet.  Well if you are going to run a Tampa 2 he's the guy. 

Yeah, but I still think it's a mistake on Dallas' part. Hiring a soon to be 73 yr. old DC and running the Tampa 2 is all bad IMO. I have never made it a secret that I despise the Tampa 2 defense. IMO it has ran it's course in the NFL and unless you have pro bowlers throughout your D-line and LBer's, it just doesn't work. Plus Dallas has 2 man to man corners and now they are switching to a zone coverage. Jerry Jones loses a little more of his mind everyday I think.

#72 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 13677 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, but I still think it's a mistake on Dallas' part. Hiring a soon to be 73 yr. old DC and running the Tampa 2 is all bad IMO. I have never made it a secret that I despise the Tampa 2 defense. IMO it has ran it's course in the NFL and unless you have pro bowlers throughout your D-line and LBer's, it just doesn't work. Plus Dallas has 2 man to man corners and now they are switching to a zone coverage. Jerry Jones loses a little more of his mind everyday I think.

Jerry Jones is like most fans and just wants stars and big names.  He's not a football person that understands the way you win in the NFL is to draft and develop your own stars and maybe add a key vet here or there.  Look at the Pats, Steelers, Giants, Colts, and Packers, every Super Bowl Champion but one since 2003 and you'll see that they all did it the same way home grown talent.  I know talking coaches isn't the samething but it's the same attitude from Jerry go for a big name. 

#73 Nostrils

Nostrils
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

you guys are all *s... all i can say haha

COLTS TICKETS!

Single Game Tickets Available!

BUY THEM TODAY!
Join the Stampede!

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      26 Oct
    Jules

"Her name is Aphrodite and she rides a crimson shell, and you know you cannot leave her for you touched the distant sands. With tales of Brave Ulysses, how his naked ears were tortured by the sirens sweetly singing."

• Photo
      25 Oct
    Skelly

When I look at the news all I see is sadness, sickness, and complete and utter stupidity. I think I might sign up for the first flight to Mars.

Show comments (4)
  • Photo
      24 Oct
    Bogie

Retro throwback week for Halloween - Mercyful Fate and Black Sabbath. I forgot how fun melodic metal albums were.

Show comments (15)
View All Updates