Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RGIII's career future

nburgmei

Shanahan is the epitome of a "win-now" coach willing to sacrifice the long-term good of the franchise and Griffin so long as he can ride RGIII long enough to get another contract extension. The news of him lying about Dr. Andrews clearing RGIII and what I saw tonight disgusted me. And I'm not a man who thinks terribly highly of college and NFL coaches' moral fiber to begin with.

Anybody who knows anything about boxing realizes that the last person you ever really want to ask about their health is the boxer himself, because he's trained to never quit regardless of pain. Football is no different. And Shanahan knows it. It was his responsibility to protect Griffin from himself. He knew that Griffin was simply saying the right things--like he's been trained to do, as has every other player since youth football--to stay in the game, and willfully ignored all the on-field evidence that Griffin was just paying him lip service. 

As I said before, I don't hold any of these coaches up on a pedestal, but Shanahan's hit a new low for me.

It's a shame that I could only 'like' this post only once. You said it better than I did.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?  Noramlly I tend to lean your way on things, but not here. Did we watch same game?  Cousins had gone 2 of 3 for 27 yards right after coming in. From then on, he basically had two 4 and outs going 1 of 7 for 4 yards. RG3 had the Skins in the lead hobbling until halfway through 4th.  He fell apart, and so did their hopes.

And honestly a lot of the struggles came from the receivers not getting open or failing to catch passes. Yes, Griffin missed badly on a few, especially that pass to Josh Morgan, but when we were still leading 14-13 with about 6 minutes to go, it was 3rd and 10 and Griffin fired a pass on target, although a little out in front of, to Leonard Hankerson, who had room to run if he caught it, but he alligator-armed. Next thing you know, we punt, and Marshawn Lynch runs 27 yards for a TD on the ensuing drive.

It seems to be taking a long time to determine the true severity/diagnosis here?

Whatever the results, I wish the best for him and our Redskins fans here.

RG3 is having LCL surgery. And, while they are in there, they will look at the ACL and determine what they need to do with that.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8826706/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-expected-lcl-surgery-week-according-source

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124011/article/rg3-scheduled-to-have-surgery-to-repair-lcl-damage

RG3 needs to treat his running abilities as if they were top secret weapons, only use it when absolutely necessary. Hes a natural passer but he's never gonna fully develop as one if he always has running the ball on his mind. He needs to learn not to rely on his legs. He needs a coach that will push him to be a great pocket QB as well, instead of changing the offense to cater to RG3s instincts to run.

It seems to be taking a long time to determine the true severity/diagnosis here?

Whatever the results, I wish the best for him and our Redskins fans here.

ESPN analyst physician says 4-6 months or so for LCL, and 7-12 months for LCL/ACL combo. We'll know more in a few days.

Robert Griffin III has torn ACL, LCL; will undergo surgery on Wednesday

There is a video report & more to story Re rehab etc than i noted, though I had no time to view video

This is after the consultaion with Andrews in Florida

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III will undergo surgery on Wednesday for a torn anterior cruciate ligament and torn lateral collateral ligamentaccording to ESPN.com's Chris Mortensen.

The diagnosis was made late Tuesday of a complete tear of the patella graft used to repair his torn ACL that occurred in 2009 at Baylor, according to Mortensen.

Griffin will undergo a total reconstruction of the right knee

and is expected to

need six-to-eight months of recovery, barring any setbacksaccording to Mortensen.

Griffin's recovery time, if on the long end, would put his availability for the Redskins' 2013 training camp into question, although Mortensen reports that sources told him that Griffin should "be ready to open the season in September."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-08/robert-griffin-iii-injury-update-rg3-lcl-surgery-this-week-knee-acl-redskins

Here's the latest-

"The rehabilitation plan will focus on Griffin's quadriceps strength that will then help to protect and stabilize the knee, sources told ESPN.com. The reconstruction of the LCL is considered a complication, but Andrews informed the team that it should rehab well during the same six-to-eight month time frame as the ACL injury."

This contradicts slightly the report from the ESPN physician. Somewhat good news for Redskins.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-01-08/robert-griffin-iii-injury-update-rg3-lcl-surgery-this-week-knee-acl-redskins

I heard 1 of 3 players who have ACL surgery do not make a full recovery.

It further complicates things when this is the 2nd time he's had to have reconstructive surgery in 3 yrs. time. I read that the actually ACL tear was the patella tendon graft that they repaired it with in '09. That knee will never be the same.

It further complicates things when this is the 2nd time he's had to have reconstructive surgery in 3 yrs. time. I read that the actually ACL tear was the patella tendon graft that they repaired it with in '09. That knee will never be the same.

Why won't they do a cadavar graft? Seems like it would quicken the healing process

Why won't they do a cadavar graft? Seems like it would quicken the healing process

I have no idea about any of that. All I know is that I think RG3's days of scaring defense's with his ability to run like a jackrabbit on crack are over. 

I have no idea about any of that. All I know is that I think RG3's days of scaring defense's with his ability to run like a jackrabbit on crack are over. 

I don't know about that. Sure his speed and his willingness to run will be slightly lowered, but if he receives stem cell therapy I wouldn't doubt him coming back just as explosive.

From what we've been hearing, the re-tear occurred at where the tendon was attached in the previous surgery so the tendon itself was probably holding up alright.  His Baylor docs supposedly aimed to get Griffin back out there in a shorter timeframe, so the work they did wasn't the best for the long-term prognosis of that knee.

We'll have to see.  The ACL could come back even stronger given the difference in approach taken from the first surgery and Griffin's stellar commitment to rehab the last go 'round.

From what we've been hearing, the re-tear occurred at where the tendon was attached in the previous surgery so the tendon itself was probably holding up alright.  His Baylor docs supposedly aimed to get Griffin back out there in a shorter timeframe, so the work they did wasn't the best for the long-term prognosis of that knee.

We'll have to see.  The ACL could come back even stronger given the difference in approach taken from the first surgery and Griffin's stellar commitment to rehab the last go 'round.

Hopefully he will come back as good as new , but I think Shanahan will be forced to implement an offense that puts RG3 is far less peril. It's my belief that Shanahan puts winning above any of this stuff and he would prefer to do whatever was best for MIke. However public opinion will force him to ditch this college stuff and take a year for RG3 to kearn how to play the game from under center.

My feeling, if Griffin comes back as good as ever, he will resort to his naturally instinctive ways.  If you have Olympic speed talent, you don't shut it off to  develop  pocket passing techniques.  He will transition over time as he naturally develops more cagey passing techniques and his speed slowly decreases over time by getting nicked up and age taking away a half step.  What I believe he will do is learn to stop trying to bust open the big play, spot the defenders in peripheral vision sooner, and get down in safety quicker and live for the next snap.

If he doesn't make it 100% back healthy, the above process may very well accelerate then.

Here is a detailed post-procedure breakdown of RGIII's surgery by a professional sports orthopedic surgeon on NFLN Total Access....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000124438/Analyzing-RG3-s-injury

Quote- "World class player, world class medical physician, world class coach."  In the end, he says no blame for anyone, but that Doctor  seemed to lean on the truthfulness of the player and the ability of the med staff to assimilate that with their assessment and get right recommendation to coaches.

Quote- "World class player, world class medical physician, world class coach."  In the end, he says no blame for anyone, but that Doctor  seemed to lean on the truthfulness of the player and the ability of the med staff to assimilate that with their assessment and get right recommendation to coaches.

Yep....not an easy thing to do in the heat of a playoff game as it was.

And pro athletes being 100% truthful about their injuries is a crapshoot at best.

My issue, and a lot of peoples problem with the Shanahan's was the season long volume of high risk plays they had RGIII run. Whatever short-term gain they made by maxxing out his elite running ability has come to a screeching halt and he'll be extremely fortunate to get a quality offseason of work in. And like the doctor said...Griffin's rehab can't be as aggressive as Adrian Peterson's was. 

Hopefully, he just can rehab 100% and Shanahan in turn needs to get realistic about the offense they run when he is ready.

The kid is running out of spare parts and another knee blown out could finish him. 

It's a high risk, high reward business. in all decisions. And the only measure of success is winning the Superbowl.  World class players won't be forthcoming about injuries and want the ball. Coaches don't want to lose by watering down, making vanilla, or otherwise softening up their playbooks. Med staff doesn't want to be blamed for teams losing games where a player that might have been able to contribute to a victory was held out because of the possibility (not guarantee) of long term health issues.  It's a high risk, high reward, high priced gamble all of the way around.  

The patellar tendon grafts are typically stronger and have been the prefered method for a while, though there are other methods including hamstring grafts, cadavers, etc. Peterson had a patellar graft.

Everybody is different though, so we'll just have to wait and see how Griffin takes to the graft and the rehab.

From what we've been hearing, the re-tear occurred at where the tendon was attached in the previous surgery so the tendon itself was probably holding up alright. His Baylor docs supposedly aimed to get Griffin back out there in a shorter timeframe, so the work they did wasn't the best for the long-term prognosis of that knee.

**We'll have to see. The ACL could come back even stronger given the difference in approach taken from the first surgery and Griffin's stellar commitment to rehab the last go 'round**.

I heard that's a bit of a myth, it's extremely rare, Peterson is an exception.

Quote- "World class player, world class medical physician, world class coach." In the end, he says no blame for anyone, but that Doctor seemed to lean on the truthfulness of the player and the ability of the med staff to assimilate that with their assessment and get right recommendation to coaches.

I guess if that makes u feel better about shanahan being a short sided * then so be it....and I respect him as a coach.