Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RGIII's career future

nburgmei

I hate to say it, but Washington is going to play him into the ground far too prematurely. I can't help, but feel bad for the kid. He shouldn't be in the game! He's been limping the entire time and now the inevitable injury.

I don't feel like his future is particularly bright right now.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah bad idea leaving RGiii in however he probabaly wanted to play. I just have a bad feeling his career is going to be filled with this. Hopefully he didn't tear anything.

Feel pretty bad for him. Now it's time for Kirk Cousins to attempt to save the day.

That last play was just kind of a freak accident he just came down on it wrong.

Lol yeah he did, Skins OL was playing very well in the first quarter then they kind of just stopped doing anything.

When he got blasted on that 4th down, I just txted my buddy

"Cousins is dead"

That was a huge shot from an unblocked defender lmao

Lol yeah he did, Skins OL was playing very well in the first quarter then they kind of just stopped doing anything.

Griffin started limping noticeably after that second TD.  He didn't look the same afterwards.

And when he can't run, this "looks to throw first" QB can't throw for over 100 yards in back to back weeks?

Didn't even look like he could plant his bad leg on his throws.  He was 6 of 8 for 68 yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter, IIRC, which was pretty good pace.

Disgracful coaching leaving the kid in there. Pathetic.

Shanahan was pretty up front about it in his presser.  He's trusted Griffin's judgment a little too much this season on when he's good to go and recognizes that he needs to learn his QB a little bit better when it comes to these things.

It's mighty disappointing but understandable.  I still find myself in a position where Griffin seems as much or more to blame for his injury problems than anyone.  He's got to be smarter and he's got to recognize that there's a point where he's hurting his team by trying to be tougher than his body allows.

Shanahan was pretty up front about it in his presser. He's trusted Griffin's judgment a little too much this season on when he's good to go and recognizes that he needs to learn his QB a little bit better when it comes to these things.

It's mighty disappointing but understandable. I still find myself in a position where Griffin seems as much or more to blame for his injury problems than anyone. He's got to be smarter and he's got to recognize that there's a point where he's hurting his team by trying to be tougher than his body allows.

Mike Shanahan has been doing this for how long?

He's not that dumb. No one is. Everyone watching that game knew Griffin was hurt and shouldn't be in there. In a day and age where the public and media perception of the NFL and the safety of its players is paramount, Shanahan committed a blunder that is going to draw a lot of scrutiny, and rightfully so. Bob's judgement has nothing to do with it.

Hated to see RG3 go down like that today. However, he rubbed me a little bit the wrong way in his presser when he said, "I'm this team's best option to win. That's why I'm the starter". 100% true, but that strikes me as something you don't say aloud and kinda bush league. He's got to be upset though so I'll give him a pass.

Depends on how well the opposing defense stops screens and quick slants.

This is ridiculous.

The lower body is vital to having velocity and accuracy. A QB needs a strong, solid base in order to transfer his weight and deliver the ball. Griffin could not plant on his back leg, so he could not shift his weight properly, which led to the passes sailing. It's EXACTLy what happened last week against Dallas.

It's none of this "looking to run first!!!!" nonesense that many of you will be screaming until the beginning of next season. Think Rivers in the 2007 AFCCG. Exact same scenario.

This is ridiculous.

The lower body is vital to having velocity and accuracy. A QB needs a strong, solid base in order to transfer his weight and deliver the ball. Griffin could not plant on his back leg, so he could not shift his weight properly, which led to the passes sailing. It's EXACTLy what happened last week against Dallas.

It's none of this "looking to run first!!!!" nonesense that many of you will be screaming until the beginning of next season. Think Rivers in the 2007 AFCCG. Exact same scenario.

I think most will be discussing the logic of letting him play to begin with.

That is certainly a fair point and I agree.

But to assume that Griffin's passing struggles are because he is a gimmick, run-first QB or whatever they call him is asinine. He has proven that he can throw the ball effectively WHEN HEALTHY.

Hated to see RG3 go down like that today. However, he rubbed me a little bit the wrong way in his presser when he said, "I'm this team's best option to win. That's why I'm the starter". 100% true, but that strikes me as something you don't say aloud and kinda bush league. He's got to be upset though so I'll give him a pass.

I do think there is a difference between stating that "the coaches believed that I was their best option to win" and saying "I'm the team's best option to win", IMO.

But like you, I will give you a pass because of the gut wrenching nature of this loss and all the emotions that go with it.

Steve Young asked RG3 is this style of play was sustainable, if I remember, after that MNF win vs the Giants. RG3 said yes but looks like a few things need to be scaled back because RG3 is very much capable of beating someone with his arm if his running attack is potent enough. RG3 is always going to say yes but that is when the coach needs to think long term.

I hate to say it, but Washington is going to play him into the ground far too prematurely. I can't help, but feel bad for the kid. He shouldn't be in the game! He's been limping the entire time and now the inevitable injury.

I don't feel like his future is particularly bright right now.

I read many opinions here that was going to happen, and the naysayers protested RG3 was not Cam or Vick, and would be at risk as much as those guys.  I suppose the verdict is in as far as that goes.  Hopefully, RG's operations (if needed) and recovery go as well as Peterson's.

But to assume that Griffin's passing struggles are because he is a gimmick, run-first QB or whatever they call him is asinine. He has proven that he can throw the ball effectively WHEN HEALTHY.

The problem is he won't be healthy very much if he continues to put himself in bad situations. Running qbs don't last long

No argument here. His game certainly is different without his mobility and elusiveness, but Griffin can play no doubt about it.

The proven is he won't be healthy very much if he continues to put himself in bad situations. Running qbs don't last long

Because he got hurt on a fluke scramble?

It is a fluke, regardless of what you think.

Since the bye, Griffin has done a much better job of getting down or getting out of bounds. He got hurt on a third down scramble. % happens. But to say that is the definition of his career is premature and incorrect.

Then how come he runs first when he has receivers open? What's the point of trying to be both the running back and quarterback? He's not the only one that does it. When people say Archie Manning was running for his life every down 30 years ago, they literally meant it. Now today that term has a new meaning sadly.

No argument here. His game certain is different without his mobility and elusiveness, but Griffin can play no doubt about it.

That's the big point, too. Only two called rollouts all day I believe. He struggles stepping up in the pocket. Seattle's game plan was to contain and play man coverage. It worked because Griffin lost his accuracy over the middle because he could not step into his throws.

Mike Shanahan has been doing this for how long?

He's not that dumb. No one is. Everyone watching that game knew Griffin was hurt and shouldn't be in there. In a day and age where the public and media perception of the NFL and the safety of its players is paramount, Shanahan committed a blunder that is going to draw a lot of scrutiny, and rightfully so. Bob's judgement has nothing to do with it.

Not saying Shanahan didn't make a mistake, he obviously did.  I just understand why he made the wrong decision.

He doesn't really have much of a filter on him, so his phrasing isn't always ideal but he's so consistently well-intentioned and well-respected by the guys who play with and against him that it's not something that is worthy of scrutiny.

Sorry about the lose bud. We're just a bunch of losers here today, aye? 

See ya next year and keep your fingers crossed for your QB. Way more than just a #2 overall pick invested there. 

Not really worried about the investment in terms of salary or draft picks or any of that nonsense.  In the end all we'd really be wasting is time and as a diehard Skins fan you have to be pretty good at being patient.

He was medically cleared to play in the game by one of the best orthopedic surgeons around.  Your ability to evaluate injuries unfortunately degrades when games are in progress, particularly when a guy is extremely insistent that he can play through it and does his best to try and appear like he can handle pain he can not.

Because he got hurt on a fluke scramble?

It is a fluke, regardless of what you think.

Since the bye, Griffin has done a much better job of getting down or getting out of bounds. He got hurt on a third down scramble. % happens. But to say that is the definition of his career is premature and incorrect.

its not a fluke that he ran the ball more than any other qb in the nfl. More runs equal more hits. He won't last if he continues to run and not slide.

The problem is he won't be healthy very much if he continues to put himself in bad situations. Running qbs don't last long

The problem isn't that he's a running quarterback.  The problem is that he has somewhat of an impervious-to-harm mentality when he is as susceptible as any other player to a blow to the head or the impact of a diving 340 lb player to the leg.

Russell Wilson did a lot of running today and there was no point where he really risked his body.  I'm not overly impressed by Wilson's play quite yet but he definitely has that over RG.

I sure wouldn't consider him a NON rushing QB either. Yes he can throw the ball well but he does rely on the run also. I've heard people to as far to claim him a pure pocket passer lol.

Fact of the matter is he does a lot of BOTH.

Hopefully the guy is ok and will be fine for next year.

I sure wouldn't consider him a NON rushing QB either. Yes he can throw the ball well but he does rely on the run also. I've heard people to as far to claim him a pure pocket passer lol.

Fact of the matter is he does a lot of BOTH.

Hopefully the guy is ok and will be fine for next year.

I mean sure, but "running QB" carries such a negative connotation. He's a quarterback in the mold of Aaron Rodgers who is faster but also leaner and more susceptible to injuries. Aaron Rodgers has had concusion problems, but he's become smarter about saving his body, something Griffin will have to learn to do. But he doesn't just look at the defense, see his primary read covered, and then take off. He holds onto the ball a LONG time waiting for other reads to open, and if he doesn't see them, he usually takes off. By then, though, the defenders have keyed on the run and head towards him with a full head of steam.

Not saying Shanahan didn't make a mistake, he obviously did. I just understand why he made the wrong decision.

He doesn't really have much of a filter on him, so his phrasing isn't always ideal but he's so consistently well-intentioned and well-respected by the guys who play with and against him that it's not something that is worthy of scrutiny.

Not really worried about the investment in terms of salary or draft picks or any of that nonsense. In the end all we'd really be wasting is time and as a diehard Skins fan you have to be pretty good at being patient.

He was medically cleared to play in the game by one of the best orthopedic surgeons around. Your ability to evaluate injuries unfortunately degrades when games are in progress, particularly when a guy is extremely insistent that he can play through it and does his best to try and appear like he can handle pain he can not.

I'm not sure the same doctor saying "How nerve racking it was clearing him" is a glowing endorsement. There was a reason he was so nervous. Because he probably didn't really think he was ready to go.

Clearly Griffin wanted to give it a go, but clearly he was not ready to play. Shanny should have known better. It's not like Cousins is a scrub. He had a capable backup.

I read many opinions here that was going to happen, and the naysayers protested RG3 was not Cam or Vick, and would be at risk as much as those guys.  I suppose the verdict is in as far as that goes.  Hopefully, RG's operations (if needed) and recover go as well as Peterson's.

I know I personally said he wont be Cam (who quietly started playing alot better towards the end of the year btw). I said it because I think Griffin can be a more consistent and accomplished passer than Newton (who is actually a decent passer already) and especially Vick.

Now I did express doubt the Redskins could stick with this particular offense longterm. I think teams will find more ways to slow it down after having more game film and an offseason to prepare for it. Also the fact that Griffin has already had injury issues this year would scare me about the longterm prospects of running it if im a fan. I do like that the team used something that tailored to Griffin and helped him to succeed early but I just have my doubts this is really in his best interests or the teams down the road.

I wouldn't go that far.

What's the fault?

Aaron Rodgers scrambles A LOT in the backfield and subjects himself to a ton of hits. His slightly larger frame allows him to handle them better, and he's certainly more accurate at this point in his career, but regardless.