Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will your expectations be higher then ever for next season?

Jules

I will be expecting improvement.

Not to sound contradictory, but if we have a worse record I won't be too disappointed if I'm seeing players like Luck continue to improve.

Rome wasn't built in a day lol. So I don't think one season will establish us as a dominant force just yet.

After an exciting whirlwind 11-5 season with all kinds of ups and downs with a rookie QB what kind of expectations will you have next season?

That's a tough call, it just depends on what they do in the offseason. I'll expect them to make the playoffs from now on. They will probably continue to dominate at home winning 7-8 @ home. They just need to get better overall, and also play better on the road.

Spending money on free agents mean nothing.  Just ask the Eagles. 

Well sure, I don't want to spend $10 million a year on Mike Wallace, but the money is there and it has to be spent according to the CBA. As long as you're smart about it and diligent in your scouting, which I am confident Grigson will be, free agency can be a valuable tool to building a strong team. New England signs FAs all the time.

RT - Andre Smith

OG - Geoff Schwartz

DL - Desmond Bryant

DL - Ropati Pitoitua

OLB - Paul Kruger

CB - Derek Cox

S - Jairus Byrd

I think we could afford that and still have enough for our own guys.

True, but it affects the forum.

High expectations lead to bitter disappointment if not met. That's fine if you are an elite team. But the less reasonable the expectations, the higher the probability that disappointment will be cruelly rampant on this forum next year. It gets a bit exhausting. It would be nice if most people were dancing in the streets with delight next year even if the team "just" goes 9-7 and barely misses the playoffs. The team could improve dramatically in all facets without exceeding that - and I'd call it a healthy and satisfying progression, not a failure.

Losses happen and when those losses do happen fans cant get angry or upset but thats natural, you play to win the game and as many as you can and to ultimately be known as the best,I get the whole idea of progression and agree but I certainly wont be dancing if we miss the playoffs

I dont see why winning the division (maybe not the conference) would be an unrealistic expectation.

Texans would still have to play the Patriots and Ravens with the Ravens on the road while the Colts get the Dolphins and the Bengals from the same 2 divisions for next year.

If our home dominance continues, with some offseason moves, we could be winning the division next year.

Yes, I expect this team to take the next step. I expect a much improved O-line a cb and a few more pieces, and with that I expect a playoff win, if not a deeper run into the playoffs. I think a division title and home playoff game are to be expected, for this team, to take the next step. I would even consider a wildcard win taking the next step. Either way I don't think expecting this team to go a little further is asking to much, tougher schedule or not, I expect this team to continue to take the next steps all the way to Super Bowl Champs, whether thats next year, or two years from now, just keep taking the next steps until we win the Super Bowl. I think expecting anything less is selling this team short. To reach high goals, you have to have high expectations. I bet the players on this team expect nothing less than a deep run in the playoffs next season.I bet they expect to be in the Super Bowl next year, and as fans we should expect no less.

I think it's a bit premature to talk about next season yet. Let's see what we do in the April draft 1st, who our new OC will be, & whether or not we can create running lanes on the o-line first. Ask me this question again after preseason...Also, always built your team through the draft not free agency. A good question. I just can't answer it yet & I don't want too. Frankly, there are way to many variables IMO. 

I think it's a bit premature to talk about next season yet. Let's see what we do in the April draft 1st, who our new OC will be, & whether or not we can create running lanes on the o-line first. Ask me this question again after preseason...Also, always built your team through the draft not free agency. A good question. I just can't answer it yet & I don't want too. Frankly, there are way to many variables IMO. 

No one's keeping score, and it's a loooooooooooong offseason. 

And at the end of the day, if you're going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk. Because it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game. 

/clichepost

I've got more, if anyone's interested.

We've run forth a little with this thread. Without knowing our off-season acquisition it is hard to predict.

Still, my expectations aren't on high. We will have a tough schedule in 2013 season, so i think even if our roster would be better we could easily miss next PO.

I expect our FO signing and drafting a lot new players ( I think the number may exceed even 20), those would be improvement over this team, but chemistry must be built again.

So I expect Colts having a better team with quality depth, but even may have worse record than this year, with a relatively soft schedule.

I think if we experience better play, only minor mistakes and talent on O-line, we can be satisfied even if our record would be 9-7.

The vast majority of these posts reflect exactly what I've been expressing dread about on here for months. On what rational basis would anyone conclude now that the Colts "should" win the division and advance in the playoffs or be a disappointment? Is that fair to a young/rebuilding team, or a coaching staff/front office in their second year?

How about the team improves on both sides of the ball but they happen to have a few less miracles? How about hoping that they score more points than they give up, that Luck performs more consistently, maturely, and efficiently, that they beat the truly lousy teams a bit more convincingly (and don't get upset by any of them), that they win 50% of their games against other average teams, and that they put up a good show against the elite teams without getting blown out. Just being in the wild-card hunt would make it a good year. Any more than that would once again be gravy.

Then pass the gravy.

MAC...I agree that tempering expectations is a usually good thing....and I pegged us for a 6-10 record this season.

But with Jacksonville in complete disarray as an organization and Tennessee not exactly a picture of stability...and the success we seem to be able to muster against Houston regardless of how young (this season) or putrid (last season) the Colts are....is it completely irrational to say we can win the AFC South and win a playoff game?

When we look at all factors of where the team is now and the prospects of a very productive off-season....I see a division title and SOME playoff success as reasonable expectations. I certainly hope the team does.

Then pass the gravy.

MAC...I agree that tempering expectations is a usually good thing....and I pegged us for a 6-10 record this season.

But with Jacksonville in complete disarray as an organization and Tennessee not exactly a picture of stability...and the success we seem to be able to muster against Houston regardless of how young (this season) or putrid (last season) the Colts are....is it completely irrational to say we can win the AFC South and win a playoff game?

When we look at all factors of where the team is now and the prospects of a very productive off-season....I see a division title and SOME playoff success as reasonable expectations. I certainly hope the team does.

I agree. If Grigson can build a good O-line and add a few pieces on defense, I see absolutely no reason why we aren't AFC South Champs and making a deep playoff run. This team is not as far off as some people like to believe. A good O-line, another good CB, OLBer, and a SS and this team is a SB contender IMO. With all the money we have in free agency, we could very easily plug those holes, and add more back up talent. Unless there is a problem with compatablity, I see no reason why this team don't compete for a SB run next yr..

I like to look at trends and there are two that I'll bring up.

1. Thie first is that teams that have won several games in a season by less than one score usually do not have a good season the following year. This is a trend that's been analized with numerous years of data. Basically it takes into account the law of averages. I hope we buck this trend being that we are a young and improving team.

2. Secondly, I think that if we evaluate Reggie Wayne's performance throughout the year, we would see that he had a greater impact at the beginning of the year, and less of an impact at the end of the year. This may be good and bad. Good in that it shows that other guys stepped up, mainly Hilton and Allen, but bad because Luck relies heavily on Wayne-- and I am afraid to say that Wayne may not have this type of season next year, as he continues to get double teamed, and sadly, older and slower.

We will need the others on offense to greatly step up if we want to have the same type of better offensive output.

I guess the ultimate answer is that yes, I would expect Indy to be contenders for the division, playoffs and beyond.  If you have the keystone in place of your franchise like they do with Luck, I think higher expectations are natural even if unrealistic.

But I would caution that the Colts of this new regime have not yet become the Colts of old or the Pats when 12 wins or more was the norm.  There are lots of holes to fill on the roster and maybe on the staff as well. 

All champion teams are "built" by people that know the holes on their respective teams and how to fill them and know potential versus talent immediatley off the starting line. "Building" creates winners not just going after the greatest players in  the college ranks. While college players today are coming out more capable of fitting into starting roles the NFL will always be a long way from college ball. Our nations schools are full of gym teachers  that were once "great" college players.

The Colts braintrust so far has shown they know how to recruit and blend talent. I personlally think they are on the right path forward even though I am openly  prejudice but I am guilty of telling the brutal truth when it comes to my favorite teams because flattery should be reserved towards your girl friend or boy friend or your boss. Running around screaming how great your team is when in fact they are not is the mark of an *.

The Colts schedule for next year appears to favor the Colts to get to the playoffs and getting to the playoffs I believe is somethinghg we will witness for years to come. Let's hope they make it to that game after the playoffs are concluded. 

1. Thie first is that teams that have won several games in a season by less than one score usually do not have a good season the following year. This is a trend that's been analized with numerous years of data. Basically it takes into account the law of averages. I hope we buck this trend being that we are a young and improving team.

2. Secondly, I think that if we evaluate Reggie Wayne's performance throughout the year, we would see that he had a greater impact at the beginning of the year, and less of an impact at the end of the year. This may be good and bad. Good in that it shows that other guys stepped up, mainly Hilton and Allen, but bad because Luck relies heavily on Wayne-- and I am afraid to say that Wayne may not have this type of season next year, as he continues to get double teamed, and sadly, older and slower.

We will need the others on offense to greatly step up if we want to have the same type of better offensive output.

Those are legitimate points....but I believe we will buck the trend.

I say this because it's difficult for me to imagine the O-line being shakier next year than they were this season. If we were in our typical salary cap prison cell and had only the draft to address that with I'd be a lot less confident.

But I'm cautiously optimistic that Andrew Luck...with one full season under his belt plus a hopefully improved O-line and a more effective and healthy rushing attack at his disposal will balance out the dependency upon Reggie Wayne that he had this year. Although if Reggie, who takes his off-season work seriously and I think still has 2 solid seasons in him, was jazzed about and wanted to take part in the Colts rebuild last year...imagine how enthusiastic he is now?

Hopefully, our TEs will really break out next season and again, with the help of a better O-line, will create match up problems that give Luck a pretty lethal set of targets when we factor them in with Reggie and TY Hilton.

As you noted, Luck began to spread the ball around well as the season progressed. And, in retrospect, Coby Fleener being declared by more than a few Colts fans as Luck's "security blanket" wound up being kind of hilarious.

I really think we'll be better next season....offensively and defensively.

Maybe not Super Bowl better...but we should be able to step closer to it.

I expect us to be a much better team next year thanks to the fixing of the O-line.

I don't necessarily expect us to have quite as good a record, however. I am thinking either 9-7 or 10-6, with a very good chance of beating out the Houston Texans for the AFC South Title. I think Houston drops off somewhat next year with their core offensive players all a year older.

I am hoping we can then win at least one playoff game. And I think there is a good chance of this assuming we play at LOS after winning the AFC South.

Half of our games came down to one score. This is pretty fascinating to me.

The big thing about this is that we won these games as a young team. Great experience for the future. But we did this with a flawed, if not broken roster. If we improve some areas of our team, then we can avoid those comeback situations and reduce the number of one score games.

The vast majority of these posts reflect exactly what I've been expressing dread about on here for months. On what rational basis would anyone conclude now that the Colts "should" win the division and advance in the playoffs or be a disappointment? Is that fair to a young/rebuilding team, or a coaching staff/front office in their second year?

How about the team improves on both sides of the ball but they happen to have a few less miracles? How about hoping that they score more points than they give up, that Luck performs more consistently, maturely, and efficiently, that they beat the truly lousy teams a bit more convincingly (and don't get upset by any of them), that they win 50% of their games against other average teams, and that they put up a good show against the elite teams without getting blown out. Just being in the wild-card hunt would make it a good year. Any more than that would once again be gravy.

Most inteligent post yet.  I would almost expect our record to not be as good next year.  Our schedule will be stiffer (the Broncos loom almost assuredly a Sunday night game).  A couple of difficult West Coast travel games.  I agree I look most for improvement by Luck, upgrades to the OL and DL.  This year was MAGIC and should be looked back on with reverence!  We will be at the top again in a couple of years.

I think everybody needs to take a deep breath and realize just how amazing the 2012 Colts were.

> 9-1 in games decided by 7 or less

> -30 point diff. 357 for 387 against

> the 7-9 Saints had a +7 in point diff. every 8 & 7 win team had a better +/- over the Colts except the Rams.

> the Colts were the only team in the NFL that had a -point diff. and had a winning season

> they won 11 through sheer will. on paper they were a 7-9 team.  

> law of averages mostly catches up with you, the next season

> I think they will be much better next year, and yet wind up with only 9 or 10 wins

> they were still better than the 2011 west division champion  Broncos(8-8) who were a -79!

Thinking that a young team will improve coupled with a couple of very good free agent pickups isn't irrational thought.

Anything but a divisional championship would be disappointing to me at this point.

Not me. I think we are all a little spoiled. yes, we should be back contending for the division but there are too many variables to be disappointed in not winning the division in my opinion. The biggest being injuries. Injuries will kill your chances in a hurry