Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clyde Christensen

Mr.Debonair

He did an ok job considering but I still would not SETTLE for Clyde as the oc. That's the safe choice. I've seen enough from Clyde the last 3yrs to know he's not the answer. Go out and get Norv or somebody with an aggresive style on offense. With an upgrade on the O-line the sky would be the limit.

The logic behind going with Clyde would be for continuity moreso than pedigree. Clyde knows this offense, plain and simple. Norv would likely bring in an entirely different system, that I don't think we have the personnel for, personally. If we bring in somebody from the outside, I think they need to be from the same coaching tree as Bruce. Maybe Whistenhunt or one of his assistants, but not Norv Turner. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The logic behind going with Clyde would be for continuity moreso than pedigree. Clyde knows this offense, plain and simple. Norv would likely bring in an entirely different system, that I don't think we have the personnel for, personally. If we bring in somebody from the outside, I think they need to be from the same coaching tree as Bruce. Maybe Whistenhunt or one of his assistants, but not Norv Turner. 

Norv Turner uses a lot of screens and I am not so sure our O-line is built for 10-15 screens a game. Plus, Norv loves big wideouts and likes long yardage plays too, like Arians but Rivers dumps off to RBs more often because those long yardage plays take time to happen and an RB like Sproles or a non-blitzing team like the Dungy Colts would allow those to work with overpursuit on screens and midget CBs. But when you have teams with good LBs like Steelers, Jets and Ravens that can get after the QB, Norv's playcalling has suffered more often, IMO because his QB most likely never had the time.

Norv is just BA but with more screens and RB dumpoffs. If our O-line can do it and we draft some shifty RBs in space, I think we can implement it. But BA prefers smaller speedy wideouts while Norv prefers bigger taller wideouts.

I'd rather see Clyde fired than promoted. He didn't build the offense nor design the game plan for today. For all we know BA was on the phone with Clyde during the game helping him call the game.

Even if Clyde called the game on his own, which he probably did, i still have no faith in him being able to game plan from week to week, make in game adjustments and add adjust the offense around new talent acquired and to keep the offense from being stale and/or predictable. There's a lot more to being a successful OC than just play calling.

I'd prefer to avoid Norv as well. After doing some research it looked like his entire resume is built around a few successful years in Dallas where he had elite talent to work with. Norv has been pretty mediocre since then. Greg Knapp would be at or near the top of my wish list.

Norv Turner uses a lot of screens and I am not so sure our O-line is built for 10-15 screens a game. Plus, Norv loves big wideouts and likes long yardage plays too, like Arians but Rivers dumps off to RBs more often because those long yardage plays take time to happen and an RB like Sproles or a non-blitzing team like the Dungy Colts would allow those to work with overpursuit on screens and midget CBs. But when you have teams with good LBs like Steelers, Jets and Ravens that can get after the QB, Norv's playcalling has suffered more often, IMO because his QB most likely never had the time.

Norv is just BA but with more screens and RB dumpoffs. If our O-line can do it and we draft some shifty RBs in space, I think we can implement it. But BA prefers smaller speedy wideouts while Norv prefers bigger taller wideouts.

The WR issue is my biggest problem with Norv as Colts OC. Royal, who is similar to Hilton, was nonexistent in SD. That and the fact he hasn't really had success, defined as winning in the regular season and playoffs, since the early 90s.

Clyde's play calling reminded me of last year.. 

Good running, a decent amount of production through the air. Not one TD. 

I don't remember the good running or the air production but the lack of scoring is spot on.

He knew Tom Moore's offense plain and simple too but brought nothing to the table on his own. Now he knows Bruce's offense and that qualifies him to be a good oc? Believe me the personnel on offense will change some especially the O-line so why wouldn't it fit Norv? That was the problem with Caldwell taking over for Dungy. Sometimes it's better to move in a new direction when things have run its course and make some tough calls for the better of the team. I think Grigs, Chuck, Bruce, Luck and company worked out just fine. I still would rather have Norv than Clyde any day and that nightmare of an offense that I've seen over the years with Whistenhunt after Kurt Warner NO thank you.

How are we debating OC when we just showed the entire nation that our oline is the worst in the league?  If Joe Montana were our QB, he would have been crying in the nearby ambulance.  Forget about OC, Grigson please give us an Oline like Brady or Griffin or Wilson or Manning or Vermont or Cal Poly or AARP convention or.....

How are we debating OC when we just showed the entire nation that our oline is the worst in the league? If Joe Montana were our QB, he would have been crying in the nearby ambulance. Forget about OC, Grigson please give us an Oline like Brady or Griffin or Wilson or Manning or Vermont or Cal Poly or AARP convention or.....

We are debating it cuz Arians may leave to be a head coach.

How are we debating OC when we just showed the entire nation that our oline is the worst in the league?  If Joe Montana were our QB, he would have been crying in the nearby ambulance.  Forget about OC, Grigson please give us an Oline like Brady or Griffin or Wilson or Manning or Vermont or Cal Poly or AARP convention or.....

I'm quite sure the O-line will be the number one priority for Grigs in the offseason as its been ALL year long. We all know the O-line stinks but there is a strong chance we might lose Bruce so that's the reason for the oc talk.

I like him, but he was mediocre today.

He's already been the OC and didn't do that well.

Having said that, dropped passes and the horrible O-line weren't his fault, but he didn't make adjustments.

For exampe, Christensen left Satele in when Shipley was available and who is a better Center.

Of course CC used BA's game plan.     Whose game plan do you think he used?    He found out this morning about 10am that he was going to be the OC and call the plays.     There was no other game plan to use.

That said....    I thought CC did a very very commendable job.    I have no complaints.    None.    This is what happens when you don't have a decent OL.

And any talk of firing CC is pure nonsense.    Based on what??    What he did last year as an OC?    Who cares?   He's the QB now.    If Arians leaves, I'm sure he'll get consideration to be the OC,   but I think we'll also interview other candidates.

A heckuva run for this team.....    better days ahead....     :thmup:

I personally hate Arians offense.  I know, it will be said we won 11 games and Luck set passing records.  But it is too hit or miss.  Drive will be going well, they take a shot down the field, gain two yards, then are in 3rd and 8.   You have to ask yourself if that 50% completion is worth the occasional long passes.  I think it is wrong offense for Luck.  He is talented enough to make any offense run pretty well, but I personally would like to see Arians get a HC job, and another OC brought in with a new system that is more west coast based.

Good point there where many times we went long to often instead of useing the clock to our advantage

Its fun watching QB`s that consistently throw tight spirals that are on the Money like Flacco did today and RGIII is doing tonight.Clyde had to stay in BA`s playbook. I bet he could add some wrinkles. Just have to find some stuff Luck can execute at 65%.Good Luck on that one!

Good god.......you should remove the middle B from your name

how many times can you try to run to the left inner to intermediate gaps and get your bum handed to you on a blasted 2nd and mid to long????? Oh my heavens, I've never seen anything like it. did CC have a sheet in front of him that said, "no matter what you do, always try to run Vic on 2nd and long??????? Blasted be the play calling,,,, i've already blown a gasket on this.

He called a nice game. I thought his gameplan was actually more along the lines of what Luck did at Stanford honestly, which is what I would like to ultimately see with the offense. Having said that I think he needs to go. I wasnt a fan of his play calling last year (even though he had to deal with Painter and Orvlosky as his QBs). I also think all ties to the old organization should be cut. Christensen doesnt strike me as someone who isnt replaceable.

Of course CC used BA's game plan.     Whose game plan do you think he used?    He found out this morning about 10am that he was going to be the OC and call the plays.     There was no other game plan to use.

That said....    I thought CC did a very very commendable job.    I have no complaints.    None.    This is what happens when you don't have a decent OL.

And any talk of firing CC is pure nonsense.    Based on what??    What he did last year as an OC?    Who cares?   He's the QB now.    If Arians leaves, I'm sure he'll get consideration to be the OC,   but I think we'll also interview other candidates.

A heckuva run for this team.....    better days ahead....     :thmup:

Well, since I'm the only one in this thread that used the word "fire" I'll assume you're talking to me.  So in response I'd say, please re-read my post.  I said I would rather fire him THAN PROMOTE HIM.  Meaning if our only 2 options were to promote him to OC or fire him, then firing him would be my preference.  If the third option, leave him where he is, is available then we could do that as well.  That option would only not be available, I would assume, if Arians does not return and a new OC is brought in who had his own WR and QB coaches in mind to bring with him.  If that were the case then there simply wouldn't really be room for Clyde to remain, which would not break my heart at all.

However I'll also counter your "Based on what?" question by asking why we would promote him?  Based on what?  When he was first promoted to OC, he simply kept running the offense that Tom Moore and Peyton had developed and we all know that Peyton did the majority, if not all, of the actual play-calling.  Clyde's only season to prove himself was last year and, well, that didn't go well.  I would have preferred Clyde had been fired last year with all of the other coaches and I feel there's a good chance he was only kept around based on the ever so slight possibility that maybe Peyton would return to the Colts.  Prior to becoming OC, he was our  WR's coach.  This year he is the QB coach, but I think we all know, or at least believe that Arians is the one who is working most closely with Luck.  

Pagano needs to grow a spine and get in Clyde's face and call him out for some of the worst play calling I've ever seen. Forget the dropped passes and those whose slipped in the perfectly playable field (that no one else slipped on), but for goodness sakes Pagano, get in some people's faces!!!!!! or I'm going to start calling you Caldwell Dungy.

For those complaining about running too much I have the following to say:

1.  Haven't people spent all year screaming that we didn't run the ball enough under Arians and that was costing us?

2.  We ran it 30 times for 152 yards an average of 5.1 YPC.  Anytime you can run like that you run the ball especially when you are playing the Ravens.

3.  Andrew Luck still set the NFL record for most passing attempts by a rookie QB in a playoff game at 54. 

4.  Did people notice everytime Luck was throwing he was getting hit?  They were trying to run the ball more because the line couldn't protect Luck in passing plays but they could run block today. 

Pagano needs to grow a spine and get in Clyde's face and call him out for some of the worst play calling I've ever seen. Forget the dropped passes and those whose slipped in the perfectly playable field (that no one else slipped on), but for goodness sakes Pagano, get in some people's faces!!!!!! or I'm going to start calling you Caldwell Dungy.

Yes, because "getting in his face" would really accomplish a lot.

For those complaining about running too much I have the following to say:

1.  Haven't people spent all year screaming that we didn't run the ball enough under Arians and that was costing us?

2.  We ran it 30 times for 152 yards an average of 5.1 YPC.  Anytime you can run like that you run the ball especially when you are playing the Ravens.

3.  Andrew Luck still set the NFL record for most passing attempts by a rookie QB in a playoff game at 54. 

4.  Did people notice everytime Luck was throwing he was getting hit?  They were trying to run the ball more because the line couldn't protect Luck in passing plays but they could run block today. 

Personally I had no problem with how much we ran the ball. Ballard had a nice game with 22 carries for 91 yards, 4.1 ypc.  My problem with the play-calling in the run game, not just today but all year, is the predictability.  Bring in a heavy package, overload one side and that's where the run is going.  We don't have to have 2 TE's on one side of the line and then motion a WR to that side of the line and then run to that side of the line.  I think there should be more running from 2 TE sets with a TE on each side of the line.  Then there's no tip-off presnap as to which way the run is going to go.  We also don't have to exclusively run from those heavy packages either, not with TE's like Allen and Fleener.  Even Saunders seems like a decent receiver from the TE position.  He's not the best.  He's not ever going to be a pro bowler but he can certainly be effective in the short to intermediate areas where a FB would normally be.  

I know your post wasn't necessarily directed at me because I wasn't one of the ones complaining about running too much.  I just wanted to add my opinion on the problems I have with the running game, or rather the offense in general. :)

Not sure what you guys/gals were seeing who didnt like the gameplan. Was it the best ive ever seen? No but I thought it was solid for the most part.

We had a nice balance of run and pass and I thought early on they did alot to give Luck quicker/easier throws. The problem was mostly execution to me. Our lineman would interchangeably get beat, WRs would drop passes, Luck would throw balls into the ground, RBs would run to the wrong spot on running plays or be slow to the hole (Moore...why is he on this team BTW?)

Its hard to execute consistently when the core of the offense (the O-line) is just not a very good group in general. We played like a young team today and it got us beat. It was expected.

Not sure what you guys/gals were seeing who didnt like the gameplan. Was it the best ive ever seen? No but I thought it was solid for the most part.

We had a nice balance of run and pass and I thought early on they did alot to give Luck quicker/easier throws. The problem was mostly execution to me. Our lineman would interchangeably get beat, WRs would drop passes, Luck would throw balls into the ground, RBs would run to the wrong spot on running plays or be slow to the hole (Moore...why is he on this team BTW?)

Its hard to execute consistently when the core of the offense (the O-line) is just not a very good group in general. We played like a young team today and it got us beat. It was expected.

On top of that it's still probably Arians game plan.  I know he missed a day of practice and today but I have a feeling he put together the game plan Christensen just ran the show today. 

Its fun watching QB`s that consistently throw tight spirals that are on the Money like Flacco did today and RGIII is doing tonight.

Clyde had to stay in BA`s playbook. I bet he could add some wrinkles. Just have to find some stuff Luck can execute at 65%.

Good Luck on that one!

I'm sure the skins wouldn't mind if you jumped ship. It's hard to tell you ever was a colts fan in the first place. Your posts just scream troll, or skip bayless

One thing I realized today:  without the chunk plays, the Colts aren't talented enough to methodically move the ball down the field. At this stage, they need the chunk plays.  Baltimore's big plays were the difference in the game.

Aagreed.  Many here realized that long ago and knew we might to easily stall many drives with all of the rookies potential for mistakes and lack NFL experience in dinking and dunking down the field.  When the chunk plays are there we have to take those shots.  But some teams with monster pressure, it can't be done with out current O line.  Clyde seemed to do OK, but plain and faitly predictable.  I feel BA would have made gameplan changes at halftime and help us get us back in it.  Execution was very poor, though. So it might have futile anyway.

because we were out of running backs.