Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

THAT'S why Vinny is here!/Is Adam Vinateri worth the money we're paying him? (Merge)

BleedBlu8792

Why does the offense quite regularly go with an empty backfield on 3 and 3-5? our o- line cant protect luck when they have to, why not have a little mistery in your play calling. I guess Vinny can still earn his keep, so far. Let's make sure Clide does not call any more plays.

52 yarder before halftime.. shanks 30 yarder.. pretty normal.. would be great if the offense could do something inside the 20s

Not pretty normal first of all the miss was a 40 yarder not a 30 yarder and it was his first miss since the Miami game in early November.  Adam did exactly what he normally does.  Had a shaky stretch at the start of the year and rebounded to have a good back half of the season. 

Momentum.

You have to really hate Adam to try to blame the loss on him today.  No his miss didn't help but it's far from what cost us the game.  The fact that had he not be there today we would have been shut out had more to do with us to lose the game than that miss by Adam.

You have to really hate Adam to try to blame the loss on him today. No his miss didn't help but it's far from what cost us the game. The fact that had he not be there today we would have been shut out had more to do with us to lose the game than that miss by Adam.

Hate him? Blame him for the loss? Where did I say or imply that?

He missed a critical kick. Period.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

Hate him? Blame him for the loss? Where did I say or imply that?

He missed a critical kick. Period.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

Yes if he hits that kick we end up losing 24-12 wow that's the most critical kick in the history of the NFL!

You are right there is plenty of blame to go around.  Adam is near the bottom of the list and isn't really worth listing. 

Yes if he hits that kick we end up losing 24-12 wow that's the most critical kick in the history of the NFL!

You are right there is plenty of blame to go around. Adam is near the bottom of the list and isn't really worth listing.

Actually I think the score would have been 17-12 at that point. And again. Momentum.

Actually I think the score would have been 17-12 at that point. And again. Momentum.

We suffered far more from getting inside the redzone and having to try field goals than we did from Adam missing that kick.  Again not good that he missed it but it really didn't change the out come of the game.  The offense not being able to get the ball in the endzone is what cost us today. 

Not pretty normal first of all the miss was a 40 yarder not a 30 yarder and it was his first miss since the Miami game in early November. Adam did exactly what he normally does. Had a shaky stretch at the start of the year and rebounded to have a good back half of the season.

I think "pretty normal" was the wrong choice of words on my part. I meant we've all seen him make kicks that are ridiculous then turn around and miss a chip shot.

Regardless, him missing that one FG didn't really hurt them anyways. I'm a HUGE supporter of Vinny.

I think "pretty normal" was the wrong choice of words on my part. I meant we've all seen him make kicks that are ridiculous then turn around and miss a chip shot.

Regardless, him missing that one FG didn't really hurt them anyways. I'm a HUGE supporter of Vinny.

I wouldn't call 40 yards into the wind a chip shot although it was well with in his range.  You said it though this one miss didn't really hurt them all that much in terms of the out come of the game. 

We suffered far more from getting inside the redzone and having to try field goals than we did from Adam missing that kick.  Again not good that he missed it but it really didn't change the out come of the game.  The offense not being able to get the ball in the endzone is what cost us today. 

I'm sorry but you don't know that for a fact, if I remember correctly that was points we left on the board after our 2nd fumble recovery.  That could have sparked us and given us momentum.  Not saying Vinny has the most to blame, but Adam was known as being Mr. Clutch correct? 

I just think we all just have a bitter taste in our mouthes.

You are right there is plenty of blame to go around.  Adam is near the bottom of the list and isn't really worth listing. 

Not necessarily. If he had made that missed kick to put the score at 17-12 as IndyTrav said, then that would have been a boost to the Colts morale knowing a TD would have put them ahead of the Ravens. Therefore, they would have played better. For our team of rookies, being behind by more than one possession is demoralizing, which may be one reason they fell off late.

I wouldn't call 40 yards into the wind a chip shot although it was well with in his range. You said it though this one miss didn't really hurt them all that much in terms of the out come of the game.

If that was into the wind I want to have the Ravens PK tested because he was kicking them out of the endzone going that way LOL...

Not necessarily. If he had made that missed kick and made the score 17-12 as IndyTrav said, then that would have been a huge pump to the Colts morale knowing a TD would have put them ahead of the Ravens. For our team of rookies, being behind by more than one possession is especially demoralizing, which may be one reason they fell off late, so we needed to keep that game close.

I don't think so I think people are really reaching to blame Adam because there is a large group of people here who love to jump on Adam anytime he misses a kick.  I think the fact he scored all our points had a lot more to do with our loss than his missed kick. 

If that was into the wind I want to have the Ravens PK tested because he was kicking them out of the endzone going that way LOL...

He was kicking it out both endzones.  With that said McAfee was struggling to get it to the endzone going that way on kickoffs and normally Pat drills kickoffs.  On top of that the Ravens picked to have the Colts go that way so they would have the win for the fourth quarter. 

I'm sorry but you don't know that for a fact, if I remember correctly that was points we left on the board after our 2nd fumble recovery.  That could have sparked us and given us momentum.  Not saying Vinny has the most to blame, but Adam was known as being Mr. Clutch correct? 

We lost 24-9.  You can't sit here and tell me that three more points would have changed the out come.  Frankly based on how the offense had been playing I saw little to suggest it would have changed based on Adam hitting that kick.  I also don't think the Ravens would have stopped picking on Butler and Vaughn had Adam hit that kick.  There are much bigger things you can pin this blame on than Adam's kicker and since Adam is the only Colt that scored today I am not going to say he lost us this game. 

I'm sorry but you don't know that for a fact, if I remember correctly that was points we left on the board after our 2nd fumble recovery. That could have sparked us and given us momentum. Not saying Vinny has the most to blame, but Adam was known as being Mr. Clutch correct?

If the offense had been scoring TD's, I could see Vinny's miss being crucial in terms of momentum but our offense kept stalling while the Ravens were scoring.

I don't see how a missed FG deterred them from any extra momentum. The offense had no problems really moving the ball up the field (inside the 20's) so I don't believe making that FG would have boosted their chances at executing better the numerous times they were deep in Ravens territory.

Who Cares? Work out 15 kickers next year, I'm sure we'll find a good one. Might even draft one.

There is no way in heck we are drafting a kicker, and it was a 40 yarder that we missed.  Momentum?  Really?  When we were down by 2 scores...  cmon.

There is no way in heck we are drafting a kicker, and it was a 40 yarder that we missed.  Momentum?  Really?  When we were down by 2 scores...  cmon.

The miss was not good no question about but since he hadn't missed since early November I don't think people need to be going out of their way to try to blame him.  If he was missing kicks left and right like Akers is for the 49ers then I would agree people had a point.  He missed one when you try four kicks three from 40 or beyond you are probably going to miss one out doors. 

It's much more concerning that they had to settle for four field goal attempts in the first place.  THAT is what kills momentum.  The other team holding you to a field goal after a turnover is often seen as a win for the defense. 

We lost 24-9.  You can't sit here and tell me that three more points would have changed the out come.  Frankly based on how the offense had been playing I saw little to suggest it would have changed based on Adam hitting that kick.  I also don't think the Ravens would have stopped picking on Butler and Vaughn had Adam hit that kick.  There are much bigger things you can pin this blame on than Adam's kicker and since Adam is the only Colt that scored today I am not going to say he lost us this game. 

As due to the final score no it wouldn't have changed anything but considering it could have helped the momentum considering how we got the ball.  It would have been stupid for them to stop going to Boldin, thats why when he started burning us we shoulda put Vonte on him.  I'm not laying the blame at VInny's feet (no pun intended) as there were alot of factors that went into us losing i'm just saying 3 points and a momentum swing could have done something 

If the offense had been scoring TD's, I could see Vinny's miss being crucial in terms of momentum but our offense kept stalling while the Ravens were scoring.

I don't see how a missed FG deterred them from any extra momentum. The offense had no problems really moving the ball up the field (inside the 20's) so I don't believe making that FG would have boosted their chances at executing better the numerous times they were deep in Ravens territory.

Scoring is scoring 3 points is still 3 points and when you get a turnover you have to translate those into points and it builds confidence as well as momentum.

All I am saying is that when your about to make 2.2 mil next year and you have already blasted a 52 yarder, Mr. Clutch has gotta come through but in no way am I blaming this loss on him.

Just playing the "what if" scenario

As due to the final score no it wouldn't have changed anything but considering it could have helped the momentum considering how we got the ball.  It would have been stupid for them to stop going to Boldin, thats why when he started burning us we shoulda put Vonte on him.  I'm not laying the blame at VInny's feet (no pun intended) as there were alot of factors that went into us losing i'm just saying 3 points and a momentum swing could have done something 

Scoring is scoring 3 points is still 3 points and when you get a turnover you have to translate those into points and it builds confidence as well as momentum.

All I am saying is that when your about to make 2.2 mil next year and you have already blasted a 52 yarder, Mr. Clutch has gotta come through but in no way am I blaming this loss on him.

Just playing the "what if" scenario

He scored ALL our points today.  He hasn't missed since early November he has been coming threw.  Yes he missed a field goal but frankly the people that call for him to be released anytime he misses a kick and then don't say a word the weeks he doesn't is getting old. 

Like I said before the fact that the Colts offense couldn't mange to produce anything more than four field goal attempts today is much more concerning than Adam missing a kick. 

He's human he's going to miss now and then.  Just like a QB is going to throw an INT now and then.  Just because he does is not a reason to start complaining about him every time he does it. 

Also "what ifs" are not really good things to do because first of all people generally spin them to support the point they want to make and second of all you can say what if about anything.  What if the Colts score TDs on the other three positions that they kicked field goals and didn't turn it over twice and what if Butler rips that ball away in the endzone resulting in no points for the Ravens there?  Then the Colts win even with the missed kick.  Heck what if they just keep that drive alive and score a touchdown there then it doesn't come down to Adam's leg at all.  We can play what ifs all night. 

Nobody is blaming AV for the loss, but we cannot criticise WR's for dropping passes and ignore the missed FG. It's like he gets a free pass every time. He's paid to score those, just like Hilton is paid to catch balls that land in his hands. Most of our players had the play-off jitters, especially the rookies, so we need to rely on our vets to play to their maximum potential. AV did not play to his, but he is human like the rest of us.

No knee jerk from me to cut him, that is for sure...

Nobody is blaming AV for the loss, but we cannot criticise WR's for dropping passes and ignore the missed FG. It's like he gets a free pass every time. He's paid to score those, just like Hilton is paid to catch balls that land in his hands. Most of our players had the play-off jitters, especially the rookies, so we need to rely on our vets to play to their maximum potential. AV did not play to his, but he is human like the rest of us.

No knee jerk from me to cut him, that is for sure...

The last part is what bothers me.  People don't wait for Hilton to drop a pass and then go off on him like they do with Adam every time he misses a kick.  People also don't play up a drop by Hilton to act like he does it all the time.   They accept for what it was and go it was a drop it stinks and move on.  People hammer Adam every time he misses a kick and often call or him to be replaced anytime he does.  Like I said myself the missed kick stinks but it didn't really change the out come of the game like some have made the reach of.  It's the over reaction to Adam missing that bothers me.  If people just said he missed a kick and it wasn't good that I wouldn't have an issue with.  It's the need to try to blame him for a loss or calling for his job anytime he misses a kick that bothers me that SOME (not saying you) do. 

The reason kickers get so much focus when they miss or make is because every time they are on the field they are there to put points on the board. Kickers get about as many field goal attempts in a season as quarterbacks do passes in a game. So a miss stands out more than a bad throw or dropped pass. 

But,no matter how much you love "Mr. Clutch" you have to see he's in the twilight of his career. He has been rather mediocre this season at 78.8% made. Not saying he needs to be canned, but at his age, and his performance this season, I wouldn't be against seeking out a replacement either via free agency or draft. 

FUN FACT: 7 yrs in Indy Vinatieri 1 season above 90% and 83.8% (150/179) his time here.

Vanderjagt 8 yrs in Indy 3 seasons above 90% and 87.5% (217/248) his time here.

The reason kickers get so much focus when they miss or make is because every time they are on the field they are there to put points on the board. Kickers get about as many field goal attempts in a season as quarterbacks do passes in a game. So a miss stands out more than a bad throw or dropped pass.

But,no matter how much you love "Mr. Clutch" you have to see he's in the twilight of his career. He has been rather mediocre this season at 78.8% made. Not saying he needs to be canned, but at his age, and his performance this season, I wouldn't be against seeking out a replacement either via free agency or draft.

FUN FACT: 7 yrs in Indy Vinatieri 1 season above 90% and 83.8% (150/179) his time here.

Vanderjagt 8 yrs in Indy 3 seasons above 90% and 87.5% (217/248) his time here.

What was vandys % in the playoffs

What was vandys % in the playoffs

Lol. I wasn't saying one was better than the other. Just putting up stats for fun. 

But Vinny is 22/24  and vandy was 11/14. 

Vinny's missed one against CHI in SB and of course one yesterday.

Vandy missed one against MIA in 17-23 loss, one against NYJ in 0-41 loss, and the one everyone remembers against PIT in 18-21 loss.

Not necessarily. If he had made that missed kick to put the score at 17-12 as IndyTrav said, then that would have been a boost to the Colts morale knowing a TD would have put them ahead of the Ravens. Therefore, they would have played better. For our team of rookies, being behind by more than one possession is demoralizing, which may be one reason they fell off late.

Uh, nice try, but football doesn't progress along a linear line.  You have no way of knowing if they would have played better, and just an aside, they were behind more than  one possession other times during the season and still won.  Good effort tho...

Uh, nice try, but football doesn't progress along a linear line. You have no way of knowing if they would have played better, and just an aside, they were behind more than one possession other times during the season and still won. Good effort tho...

That's true, but saying they wouldn't have played better is equally unknowable.