Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weslo1812

Will Third down be the difference?

11 posts in this topic

I was just watching ESPN and Merril Hodge and Trent Dilfer were discussing the Colts vs Ravens. They were talking about how well the Ravens D is playing on third down saying that thier playing at championship level. This could be a concern being that we do rely on converting alot of third downs to keep our offense going and keep drives alive. Merril and Dilfer say that they think our o line is gonna struggle picking up the Blitzes that the Ravens bring where they come very hard and they confuse the O linemen with whos coming where and when.

Then they said that for the Ravens offense third down is gonna be the key.They said that Anquan Boldin will be the key. If the Ravens move him around and target him on third down and can get the ball to him then thier offense will be effective. But if they dont then they will struggle.

So my question is Will the play of each team on third down on both Offense and defense be the difference in the game? Whats your guys Opinion?

I wouldn't worry about it. Playing well on third down is hardly ever important.

1 person likes this

Staying on the field on 3rd down is always key, cant score points on offense consistently if ya cant move the ball and for a team that struggles stopping the run consistently like we do getting off the field on 3rd down is extremely important, we cant let Ray Rice shred us all day

Staying on the field on 3rd down is always key, cant score points on offense consistently if ya cant move the ball and for a team that struggles stopping the run consistently like we do getting off the field on 3rd down is extremely important, we cant let Ray Rice shred us all day

why do people keep saying we struggle so bad against the run? we had three bad games against the run. (JAGS, NYJ, and KC). other than that i think we have been pretty effective. specially considereing the last few years of run d. and once again i want to point out that this "struggling" defense hasn't given up a 4th quarter TD in 5 games.

edit: the first hou game we gave up a lot of yds to foster in the 4th qtr to close the game out but before that we bottled him up. (he picked up 75 yds on the texans last offensive series)

I wouldn't worry about it. Playing well on third down is hardly ever important.

Yea, I wouldn't worry about it either. 3rd downs are not important as long as we get the 1st-2nd downs. On that same note, 2nd downs are also not important as long as we always get 1st downs. On that same note, 1st downs are not important as long as Deji Karim scores a TD on every return, like I know he will.

So my question is Will the play of each team on third down on both Offense and defense be the difference in the game? Whats your guys Opinion?

Definitely, maybe, I don't know.

why do people keep saying we struggle so bad against the run? we had three bad games against the run. (JAGS, NYJ, and KC). other than that i think we have been pretty effective. specially considereing the last few years of run d. and once again i want to point out that this "struggling" defense hasn't given up a 4th quarter TD in 5 games.

edit: the first hou game we gave up a lot of yds to foster in the 4th qtr to close the game out but before that we bottled him up. (he picked up 75 yds on the texans last offensive series)

Because we rank 29th in total rushing yards allowed and we give up 5.1 a carry average

Because we rank 29th in total rushing yards allowed and we give up 5.1 a carry average

i feel like that stat is deceiving, due to those 3/4 games. the other 12 games i don't think we gave up a 100 yds to anyones leading rusher. just when it rains it pours

Bears

Jags

Packers

Jets

Titans

Patriots

Bills

Lions

Houston both games

Chiefs

all went over 100 yards rushing against us, if they did not do it with just there starter they did it with a combination of running backs

I don't pay much attention to the bobble heads.most aren't any smarter then 3 guys in a bar.

Third downs are not near as important as making positive plays on first and second down. There is a big difference between third and two and third and thirteen. Not many teams can thrive being in third and long, although we have handled it well most of the year, it is just alot easier for third and short and the stats will back me up on that.