Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton - 50 catches, 861 yards, 7 TDs

oldunclemark

I think the knock on him was that he is too small/fragile.  He is 5'9", 183 lbs.  So he isn't the biggest guy on the field.  I don't know if he had any injuries in college, but he has been able to stay healthy so far in the pros.

Anyone know what the TY stands for?  His first name is Eugene

I think the knock on him was that he is too small/fragile.  He is 5'9", 183 lbs.  So he isn't the biggest guy on the field.  I don't know if he had any injuries in college, but he has been able to stay healthy so far in the pros.

Anyone know what the TY stands for?  His first name is Eugene

Thanks for that bit of trivia, I can honestly say I'd never been bothered about what it stood for till reading this thread. His father's name is Tyrone so maybe something to do with that? Or as some say on t'internet it should stand for Thank You very much Mr Hilton for an amazing rookie season!

At the beginning of the season I didn't think he would be much more than just a punt returner for us.  Once Collie went down, I thought he would get his chance to prove himself as the slot receiver.  Definitely didn't see this coming.

Seems like he is getting better every game as of late.  Could be the game slowing down for him or Luck finally getting comfortable with him.

21isSuperman - When he was little, people used to call him "Lil' TY" (his dad's name is Tyrone).  Guess the nickname stuck with him when he got older (dropping the "Lil'" of course).  [i believe I heard that in his Facebook Friday on the site]

He's really played well. And yeah, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison too, and I'm not saying he'll be as great as Marvin, but he has the speed and size as Marvin. Just hope he'll become the same route runner. Besides Luck, the favorite pick of this draft.

I knew from day one this kid could produce, and would excel in the pros. I personally think that he was 1st or second round talent, but because he's small, got overlooked by a lot of teams.

I first saw Hilton when he was a sophomore in college, when on the fist play of the game, ran back a kickoff 96 yards against Alabama. I happened to catch a bowl game the next year, and he basically singlehandedly won the bowl game for FIU..scoring 4 TD's, the last on the back end of a hook and ladder..The way he went down the sidelines was truly amazing..I started taking notice, that he was appearing on many ESPN highlights, and I thought ..this kid can be something very special. I liked his hands, his ability to make tough catches in traffic, and when he got a sliver of open space, he took it to the house.

I usually listen to sports talk on my hour to hour and a half daily drive each way to work..(LA Traffic), and all I ever heard out of Colin Cowherd praising TY constantly, saying the kid would be the sleeper in the draft, how he has so much talent...Normally, I don't really pay attention to what Cowherd thinks, but he was actually not wrong on this assessment. I was praying that the Colts would get a chance to get him, because I knew we needed someone like him..a multidimensional player with speed, quickness, and versatility. I jumped out of my sofa when they announced that we traded up to get him..

CBS Sports online has a full article with all his stats and accomplishments, as well as his strengths and weaknesses...They list his only weakness was that he never went against much press coverage much in college, and might get pushed off his routes in the pros...Here's the link for their draft assessment of Hilton.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1638761

From day one here on the Forum, I've been a T.Y. guy, a Hilton Head etc.....I'm glad that he's on our Colts, and showing the world, that good things do come in small packages...

I'd rather have 1 of the slower but bigger possession receivers as a slot. Put the speedsters and route runners on the outside because if they have sideline to side line type routes, it gives them more room. They can still run straight up the post or motion to run straight up the seem.

I understand your point Joker, and normally I would agree. A slot receiver is usually matched up against a 5th DB, or LB / safety, none of which can keep up with T.Y.  And given his great speed, quickness, and hands, Most of Hilton's big plays come in these types of match-ups..He can also play outside, and with his speed, he has got to be respected, and can take a DB well out of the play just by running deep as a decoy. Teams have to game-plan for a breakaway threat such as Hilton, so being versatile, lining him up all over, running reverses, etc can keep  a D on their back heels. It seems he is getting better and better, as he is more accustomed to the speed of the NFL. No matter where he lines up, you can always expect at least 1-3 big plays from him every game..

Also, there are af ew other "so-called" little guys that do a great job in the slot as well..Welker lines up in the slot quite often, as does Percy Harvin..it comes down to who can be exploited from that slot position, that determines who should line up in that spot on any given play. Sometimes, for the Colts, you need a big receiver aka Fleener/Allen, others its better for a speedster like T.Y. or Harvin.

In either case, there is no right or wrong in what type of player lines up as a slot receiver, as long as they produce when they are there..And to me, that's all that really matters...

Had some "hammy" issues in college...   And he was considered a "unfinished" product at WR.  But was on the radar of many teams for his speed and big play ability.

Dude was a 3rd round pick, which is pretty high....    and Indy traded up to get him.   It's not like dude came out of left field.

Did anyone see this coming.?

What was the knock on him coming out of college??

Too small. Small College..Funny name?

What was it?

One thing i have noticed in watching him play and watching this vid is he is a smart player. He doesn't take any unnecessary hits, if there is YAC available he is gonna take it. if he senses or see's a potential hit coming he either darts out of bounds or hits the ground. Very Marvin esq if you ask me. He is going to have a long healthy career in Indy. I am extremely happy the Colts drafted him and happy with his production.

What was it?

As I said in another post I hoped he would be this type of player. he certainly was one of the fastest players in the draft last year and I remember reading a couple of articles about his big play ability in college. But ya I think the knock on him was that he wasn't big and he came from smaller school. So, we got a steal. Perfect

What was it?

Well, I said something along the lines that either he or Kris Adams (lol) was going to emerge as our top target when Reggie retires. So far, he looks right on pace to do just that. I always saw Mike Wallace/Desean Jackson potential in him. If Grigs traded up to get him, there had to have been something special about him that he saw

everytime I hear Kris Adams name mentioned (which isn't mch anymore obviously) I cant help but shake my head in frustration, I had him being our possible future #1WR, Good size, great speed, showed good hands iN TC then then he QUIT on a ball (forget which game now) and I about blew a fuse I was so hot!