Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The MVP case for Peyton Manning

oldunclemark

If AP is getting so much attention for almost single handedly dragging a poor Vikings team into the play-offs, I'd suggest a Mr A. Luck has done even more. Give Griffin and the damned OROTY, our guy gets the MVP.

This argument really doesn't work only because Luck had the 2nd most turnovers in the entire league this year.  That is not what an MVP does, constantly turning the ball over and putting his team in a bad position.

I love Luck too, hes a super likeable guy and is a great talent for sure, but 28 turnovers grants you exactly 0 votes when it comes to the Most Valuable Player award unfortunately.  That is not a number to sneeze at, that is A LOT of turnovers.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Broncos gambled and won.  There was no precedent to read about for returning from multiple neck surgeries, there was no sure bet that he would return to the form he has displayed this year.  

Most valuable means just that, without Christian Ponder the Vikings and Adrian Peterson crashed to reality.  Manning lost his top running back Willis McGahee and it was business as usual, the most valuable player continued to win.  I am sorry I inferred any lack of intelligence, I just think you need to open your eyes to the reality of the doubts that existed about Peyton Manning.

It was a calculated risk, one that im sure involved countless doctors, etc.  He had to do a tremendous amount of rehab, no doubt about it, but it wasn't as big of a risk as people are trying to make it out to be.  You just don't give a 100 million dollar contract to someone that you think isn't going to be able to heal from it.  Everyone knows what kind of QB Manning is, his mind wasn't injured, so if you feel that he was going to be able to physically recover from the injury, then yes he would return to his old form because it was just a matter of arm strength, everyone else about him was the same.

It was a calculated risk, one that im sure involved countless doctors, etc.  He had to do a tremendous amount of rehab, no doubt about it, but it wasn't as big of a risk as people are trying to make it out to be.  You just don't give a 100 million dollar contract to someone that you think isn't going to be able to heal from it.  Everyone knows what kind of QB Manning is, his mind wasn't injured, so if you feel that he was going to be able to physically recover from the injury, then yes he would return to his old form because it was just a matter of arm strength, everyone else about him was the same.

First it wasn't a hundred million dollar deal, it was an $18 million (still nothing to sneeze at) one year contract and a 4 year contract for the rest pending on passing a March 2013 physical.  You mentioned arm strength being the question, the nerve damage from the surgeries were what determined that and no one knew what that was until he started throwing.  The Broncos gambled a relatively small amount hoping to win it all, and so far they have but the story won't be finished until March.

How does Tony Dungy get a vote for MVP?  He hasn't even been a member of the AP for all that long.  Also, him voting for Manning is a huge bias, almost borderline conflict of interest.  He is obsessed with Manning and won a Super Bowl with him... Gee, I wonder who he is going to vote for! I don't even know how you can change your mind after the last game of the year, AP put up 200 yards and 2 touchdowns in a must win against a division rival lol... What more could you possibly do to cement your claim as the MVP?  Yet, after that performance, Dungy "changed his mind?"  More like he had his mind made up to begin with.

i am not the one picking who votes this guy  is in charge

Barry Wilner, a pro football writer for The Associated Press, has organized the voting for at least 15 years and graciously provided the list of voters. “We want a cross-section of writers whose main beat is the NFL and who cover it on a national basis,” Wilner said. “Some of the guys on this list cover teams, but they write on a national basis so they’re very clued into the entire league. We want a mix of print, website, radio and TV.”

Now king changed his vote top AP do to last game / run to secure winning easy FG  i heard so same argument with change in last game as with Dungy and Peyton had an 140 + rating that game I heard , dont know for sure but do know it upped his rating & QBR from previous week 

King & Dungy changing mind & respective votes were noted by a different forum member who may be wrong but usually say whaat heard  or read and dont guess

I heard many were waiting for last game

Many a bias, many have local reporters & national ones stationed in certain cities  like King is based in Bosston I read

When Peyton Tied with Mcnair indy didnt have & still doesnt have a local reporter or national based one  but Titans did have a local voter that voted for Mcnair, without that local voter wouldnt of been a tie

=============================

I posted in one of the other thread this old article, there are a few  VOTERS   only that have changed since & u can see old list here and talk in that guy Barry Wilner selection process

I have always said this is flawed process BTW, guess its best they can come up with , article shows regional & certain city bias, think at 1 time Cleavalnd had most voters

Looking inside year-end award process
Flawed MVP Voting Process ,Real Eye Opener & Why Peyton Shared 1 with McNair

DONT ARGUE WITH ME PLEASE< I HAVE NO TIME< AM ILL< JUST POSTING WHAT I HEARD & READ WITH LINKS WHEN CAN
December, 31, 2009

Certainly, I am not advocating that media do not play a vital role in voting for an MVP. A nice blend of media personnel & players is required, but that listed is dominated by sports writers, newspaper writers, & radio personalities. Tony Dungy also played in the NFL too. 

Read the article on voting process 2 commebnts abovew, yes its from Dec 31 2009, but is quite interesting as noted in my commentas before it

''

only 5 or 6 voters have changes since ones noted uion that article but that article gives each voters , even the b national pones cities they are basded in and also shows city bias in some cases & regional in others

etc

artricle states Barry Wilner, AP’s football writer, oversees the panel and manages the votes and results. He and AP are not focused on balance, either in terms of voters’ primary focus on their jobs or where they live and work.

I am off , 2 Drs today, mist get ready

Note due to need to mmeet a wheel chair van early i didnt proof read either comment and rushed them

How does Tony Dungy get a vote for MVP?  He hasn't even been a member of the AP for all that long.  Also, him voting for Manning is a huge bias, almost borderline conflict of interest.  He is obsessed with Manning and won a Super Bowl with him... Gee, I wonder who he is going to vote for! I don't even know how you can change your mind after the last game of the year, AP put up 200 yards and 2 touchdowns in a must win against a division rival lol... What more could you possibly do to cement your claim as the MVP?  Yet, after that performance, Dungy "changed his mind?"  More like he had his mind made up to begin with.

Jared didnt mean to say argue, just no time to debate issues, and again I will be first to say this process  has flaws

This argument really doesn't work only because Luck had the 2nd most turnovers in the entire league this year.  That is not what an MVP does, constantly turning the ball over and putting his team in a bad position.

I love Luck too, hes a super likeable guy and is a great talent for sure, but 28 turnovers grants you exactly 0 votes when it comes to the Most Valuable Player award unfortunately.  That is not a number to sneeze at, that is A LOT of turnovers.

He overcame these turnovers (many due to the pressure his weak line puts him under, and some poor receiving from his rookie wr's, and a few were desperation 'hail mary' type passed at the end of a half). He is not blameless for some, of course. He led some great drives, and led his team from 2 wins to 11, in his rookie year. That, to me, is way more impressive that anything the seasoned vets like Manning, Brady, Rodgers or Peterson have done. Way more impressive in fact. He has one win less that Brady, and you cannot tell me the Patriots do not have a significantly better roster. I know very few will agree with this, but it is very logical, if your view of the MVP, is the single player who has contributed most to a team's success.

The Broncos gambled and won.  There was no precedent to read about for returning from multiple neck surgeries, there was no sure bet that he would return to the form he has displayed this year.  

Most valuable means just that, without Christian Ponder the Vikings and Adrian Peterson crashed to reality.  Manning lost his top running back Willis McGahee and it was business as usual, the most valuable player continued to win.  I am sorry I inferred any lack of intelligence, I just think you need to open your eyes to the reality of the doubts that existed about Peyton Manning.

adding this n before i leave for most of daay if try to repond back I may not answer

as a note Voting is done before playoffs , announced winners last year of MVP was night before Superbowl  , to me should be back like before 2010 , after season ends or so. ppretty much incline with vote, get it out of the way 

Any team is going to crash if they lose their starting QB in a playoff game.  The offense still needs to be run to its standard level of play in order for all the parts to function.  Losing Ponder removed the consistency and familiarity at that position in a playoff game.  An offense is a cohesive unit, if they have a scrub backup in they don't have to respect the pass at all really and can continue to just key in on Adrian Peterson.  Even Tim Tebow would make some plays once in awhile, but the Vikings backup was horrible.

How does Tony Dungy get a vote for MVP? He hasn't even been a member of the AP for all that long. Also, him voting for Manning is a huge bias, almost borderline conflict of interest. He is obsessed with Manning and won a Super Bowl with him... Gee, I wonder who he is going to vote for! I don't even know how you can change your mind after the last game of the year, AP put up 200 yards and 2 touchdowns in a must win against a division rival lol... What more could you possibly do to cement your claim as the MVP? Yet, after that performance, Dungy "changed his mind?" More like he had his mind made up to begin with.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet? I highly doubt Dungy made up his mind one way or the other based on one game. And Dungy deserves a vote more than most on that list

It was a calculated risk, one that im sure involved countless doctors, etc. He had to do a tremendous amount of rehab, no doubt about it, but it wasn't as big of a risk as people are trying to make it out to be. You just don't give a 100 million dollar contract to someone that you think isn't going to be able to heal from it. Everyone knows what kind of QB Manning is, his mind wasn't injured, so if you feel that he was going to be able to physically recover from the injury, then yes he would return to his old form because it was just a matter of arm strength, everyone else about him was the same.

The only risk they had was this seasons number. After that he has to pass a physical to receive the rest of his contract. They didn't just hand him 100 million