Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The MVP case for Peyton Manning

oldunclemark

But the Raiders, Rams, and Panthers I can guarantee you that you would lose if Mike was your kicker. So yes Vinny's leg started that dynasty. I still stand by the fact he is the reason you have three rings.

Ha, so Adam Viniteries single field goal in the Rams SB was the sole reason they won the game! John Madden was saying how they should just kneel the ball and go to overtime. Oh yea, another thing people forget, it was not a miss and lose kick in either the Rams or the Panthers Superbowls, the game was TIED.

Also, don't even talk to me about the Panthers Super Bowl and Adam V being so special. He was 1/3 in that game, he missed TWO field goals in that game leading up to that final one. Then he sinks the final kick and everyone acts like hes infallable. He was 33.3% accuracy in that Super Bowl, which are horrible numbers for a kicker, especially at the ranges he was kicking from.  If he missed that 3rd kick, he would have been dragged out behind the shed and shot like an injured race horse.  If he made either one of his first two kicks in that game, the Patriots would have been kneeling on the ball instead of having to drive up the field for a last minute score to win.  It was because of Adam V's MISSES that they were even in that position to begin with.

His snow kicks against the Raiders were epic, but the team had to fight back in the 4th quarter with touchdowns to even have a shot at sending that to overtime.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one cares about the Bronco records even though John Elway is considered a top tier QB of all time? Manning breaks all of Elway's records and still gets blasted for not doing enough!

NO ONE does more for a team year in and year out than Peyton Manning. Ask the Denver team who they would rather have as their QB, and yet one of the excuses for Manning not worthy of MVP is that the Broncos went to the playoffs last year. Let's see...8-8 in 2011, 13-3 Number 1 Seed 2012. Yeah, no big deal. (sarcasm) I remember Herm Edward's at the beginning of the year saying that the Broncos would be 9-7 at the end of this season.

Manning couldn't even throw a football last year, something all QB's should be able to do (sarcasm, again). This man deserves all the accolades. What Peterson did is amazing as well, but Manning changed the culture of football in Denver with the fans, the team, and the coaches and did it in one year!

You are right. This team feels a lot different. Their mentality and attitude seem completely changed. Our players tell you how Peyton raised all boats including making our defense better. And look at the pair of our 3rd-year receivers! They both had their 1000-yard season (first time since 2004). Their growth this year has been amazing and Peyton played a very large part in it. Demaryius Thomas didn't know how to run routes as he did none of that in college. Both of them missed a lot of time to develop in injuries and Tebow offense their first two years as a pro.

Two years ago, we were 4-12. Last year was a freak accident. In fact, John Elway's plan was to put Tebow in as demanded and have #1 pick to select Andrew Luck. Tebow screwed us over.

Peyton's intangibles are hard to quantify. Yet, any close observers of the Broncos can see it very clearly.

Another case made by Scott Kacsmar:

Voting History: Why Peyton Manning Should Run Away With NFL MVP Award

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/voting-history-why-peyton-manning-should-run-away-with-nfl-mvp-award/20626/

You are right. This team feels a lot different. Their mentality and attitude seem completely changed. Our players tell you how Peyton raised all boats including making our defense better. And look at the pair of our 3rd-year receivers! They both had their 1000-yard season (first time since 2004). Their growth this year has been amazing and Peyton played a very large part in it. Demaryius Thomas didn't know how to run routes as he did none of that in college. Both of them missed a lot of time to develop in injuries and Tebow offense their first two years as a pro.

Two years ago, we were 4-12. Last year was a freak accident. In fact, John Elway's plan was to put Tebow in as demanded and have #1 pick to select Andrew Luck. Tebow screwed us over.

Peyton's intangibles are hard to quantify. Yet, any close observers of the Broncos can see it very clearly.

Another case made by Scott Kacsmar:

Voting History: Why Peyton Manning Should Run Away With NFL MVP Award

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/voting-history-why-peyton-manning-should-run-away-with-nfl-mvp-award/20626/

Excellent article, ya he just lost out to a RB in 2005, never realized if read this right 

1. i can have a half vote, gues split your Vote ?

2. Peterson scored far fewer TDs than previous   RBs save for farther back in history & didnt realize was so poor at revceving few catches , nill yards and some drops

3 Disdnt realize when the team had a surprise 5-2 start. That was Percy Harvin, who led the league in all-purpose yards before suffering a season-ending injury.so Petersoons contribution was later

However u have to give some of Ponders late season playing quite wekll and yes without it woldnt have won but by keying on Peterson it made things easier on Ponder but he still had to dewliver the strikes when he did throw

Peter King even said Sunday (Week 17 finale) had him change his vote from Manning to Peterson.

KING has a vote , others noted and article writer doesnt

Against Tennessee he played bad.

Against Miami he won the game, and Vaderjagt missed the field goal in overtime. Tom Brady doesn't know anything about his kicker winning games or anything.

Against the Jets I'll give you he played bad, but it wasn't just him. The whole team looked lost.

The '03 game against the Pats, I'll give you the picks, and he played bad. A lot of bad passes, but that game changed the rules of the NFL because the Pats played too close for comfort against our WRs for the NFL.

In '04 he turned the ball over too many times? He has one interception, and it was in the final 5 seconds of the game. I guess you forget all the fumbles and dropped passes in the redzone. By our sure handed guys. In the SB run when Reggie let the ball fly in the air, all I thought was "wow youse ******* did it again to us. How are you going to fumble on this amazing comeback." Amazingly Reggie snagged the ball out of the air from 5(?) if not 6 Pats around him.

In '05 the line played horrible. Peyton was not even in the pocket for half a second before he was sacked. But he led the comeback charge at the end. But again Vanderjagt missed the field goal. The worst part about it was his cocky look he gave to Cowher when he iced him acting like he wasn't going to miss it.

I'm not afraid to admit when Peyton has played bad, but MAJORITY of the blame he gets are from screw ups he has no control over whatsoever.

Brady has not been Brady since his first loss to Denver in '05. He has played sub-par excluding the Jags and Broncos game. His last 5 meaningful games, the 3 AFCCG and the 2 Superbowls, he has more INTs than TDs and he has a few safties in there. I'll give you the three Super Bowl runs. He played lights out, but how long are they going to let him ride that?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing for the kickers to win the game. What I am saying is you can't discredit a QB if they do they same exact thing, but the only difference is one's kicker makes it and the other doesn't. Yes, Brady drove them down the field. You cannot take that away. Peyton has done the same thing before, but the difference is Vandy shanked it. TWICE.

I know Brady won the SB against the Eagles. Vinny had nothing to do with that. But the Raiders, Rams, and Panthers I can guarantee you that you would lose if Mike was your kicker. So yes Vinny's leg started that dynasty. I still stand by the fact he is the reason you have three rings. Just like he is the reason we have ours. I sure would have loved to have Adam in '00, '05, and even '09 SB. I'm a firm believer if Stover makes the field goal and we go up 20-16 the Saints don't go for two. Thus making the final drive much calmer for the offense and not rushing for the INT to be forced.

If the article is on the span of their careers why is AJ Green on the list? He played abysmal in his SOLE playoff game. The list is about how everyone is playing currently except when it comes to Tom and Peyton. Peyton has played better than Tom this season so he should get the spot before him, but nope they'll bring up early career games.

Stats do not tell you the whole story I agree with you. Most of the time people don't even know what stats mean. The Quarterback Rating for example is not a number ranking the QBs from best to worst. Although some like to believe that. It is simply a formula to pin the efficiency. Just because your efficient doesn't mean your a great QB i.e. Alex Smith. 

All you did was agree with me that Manning has played poorly in his earlier games so I don't understand what the big deal is. That's my point. And as for the turnover that was a typo, I meant '03. 

Not only that but all you are doing is intentionally cherrypicking games that Brady has "played sub par" in but the argument holds the same for Manning. 6 tds 6 ints in his last 5 "meaningful" games (I chose this since that's what you were referring to). Not only this but as you can see, the stats are misleading. I don't think anyone is going to say Manning played 'sub par' against NE in the AFCCG? Do you agree?

Not only that but you're being highly hypocritical. Manning gets a pass for the 05 divisional game for his O line but Brady is labeled sub par for the 07 SB. Manning gets a pass for his receivers dropping balls in 04 but Brady is labeled sub par because Wes Welker forgot how to catch the ball. Highly, highly, hypocritical.

All you did was agree with me that Manning has played poorly in his earlier games so I don't understand what the big deal is. That's my point. And as for the turnover that was a typo, I meant '03. 

Not only that but all you are doing is intentionally cherrypicking games that Brady has "played sub par" in but the argument holds the same for Manning. 6 tds 6 ints in his last 5 "meaningful" games (I chose this since that's what you were referring to). Not only this but as you can see, the stats are misleading. I don't think anyone is going to say Manning played 'sub par' against NE in the AFCCG? Do you agree?

Not only that but you're being highly hypocritical. Manning gets a pass for the 05 divisional game for his O line but Brady is labeled sub par for the 07 SB. Manning gets a pass for his receivers dropping balls in 04 but Brady is labeled sub par because Wes Welker forgot how to catch the ball. Highly, highly, hypocritical.

You're words you said he played poorly his first three games. I clearly stated otherwise because he won the Miami game, but the kicker missed the field goal. So again no he didn't play poorly his first three. Maybe his first and third, but not all three.

I didn't cherry pick I just used those five. I'm not a Pats fan so I can't give you every single play. It's true since his first lost he has played poor except Jax and the Broncos game. I'm not basing it off of stats. His playoff performances have been nothing like his three Super Bowl runs.

I would agree with you and saying Brady gets a pass for the '07 Super Bowl, but the QB of the highest scoring offense of all-time can only muster 14 points? The pass you are talking about to Welker is on Brady. Wes did the twist in the air to catch that ball. Brady missed that throw Wes didn't miss the catch.

You're words you said he played poorly his first three games. I clearly stated otherwise because he won the Miami game, but the kicker missed the field goal. So again no he didn't play poorly his first three. Maybe his first and third, but not all three.

I didn't cherry pick I just used those five. I'm not a Pats fan so I can't give you every single play. It's true since his first lost he has played poor except Jax and the Broncos game. I'm not basing it off of stats. His playoff performances have been nothing like his three Super Bowl runs.

I would agree with you and saying Brady gets a pass for the '07 Super Bowl, but the QB of the highest scoring offense of all-time can only muster 14 points? The pass you are talking about to Welker is on Brady. Wes did the twist in the air to catch that ball. Brady missed that throw Wes didn't miss the catch.

You're not even understanding what I'm saying. Why is it okay to disregard Brady's two best games and suddenly say his playoff performances have been nothing like his SB runs? I just don't get it. That would be like me saying Peyton Manning sucked in every game since his last SB win except the Ravens and both Jets games. That is called cherry picking.

Yes it was a slight overthrow by Brady but definitely not uncatchable. I would fault them both. Just like the pick 6 in the Saints/Colts SB. Poor route by reggie but poor decision for Manning to never take his eyes off Reggie since the snap. 

You're not even understanding what I'm saying. Why is it okay to disregard Brady's two best games and suddenly say his playoff performances have been nothing like his SB runs? I just don't get it. That would be like me saying Peyton Manning sucked in every game since his last SB win except the Ravens and both Jets games. That is called cherry picking.

Yes it was a slight overthrow by Brady but definitely not uncatchable. I would fault them both. Just like the pick 6 in the Saints/Colts SB. Poor route by reggie but poor decision for Manning to never take his eyes off Reggie since the snap. 

What's ironic is the player that picked off Manning in the SB is now on his team. :funny: At least he can't pick him off again. :)

You can say that, but it certainly isn't true. He played well in both San Diego games. Both Jet games, and Baltimore, and even the SB. I only say excluding those two game because even with those two games since '05 he has only been on par. I'm not discrediting his play in those two games. Just adding them to his overall performance doesn't make how he played that much better.

I have a question for you. Switch Tom and Peyton, do the Pats get to 5 Super Bowls and do the Colts get to our two?

You can say that, but it certainly isn't true. He played well in both San Diego games. Both Jet games, and Baltimore, and even the SB. I only say excluding those two game because even with those two games since '05 he has only been on par. I'm not discrediting his play in those two games. Just adding them to his overall performance doesn't make how he played that much better.

I have a question for you. Switch Tom and Peyton, do the Pats get to 5 Super Bowls and do the Colts get to our two?

I'm not saying it's true but I just find it unfair because those are his two best playoff games of his career. 

As for the second part I don't know. Apples to oranges comparison. Two different teams, two different systems. They've both won and lost with good defenses/good offenses. They've both lost and won playoff games with the difference being just one play. 

I think this year will be very telling. They both have very good teams around them. 

I'm not saying it's true but I just find it unfair because those are his two best playoff games of his career. 

As for the second part I don't know. Apples to oranges comparison. Two different teams, two different systems. They've both won and lost with good defenses/good offenses. They've both lost and won playoff games with the difference being just one play. 

I think this year will be very telling. They both have very good teams around them. 

I excluded them because just saying since '05 he has played less than par. Well that isn't fair to him because his best two games get lost inside of that generalization. So I think the exclusion of those two games is needed and give them there own recognition because they do not belong with the others. That is all I meant by that.

This year will be telling for sure.

Again, Manning did NOTHING unique this year except come back from an injury, but its one that doctors and everyone said he would be able to come back from. 

I try to steer clear of making comments that question the intelligence of anyone posting here and that is all I can say without getting my reply deleted.

Unbelievable. 

Excellent article, ya he just lost out to a RB in 2005, never realized if read this right 

1. i can have a half vote, gues split your Vote ?

2. Peterson scored far fewer TDs than previous   RBs save for farther back in history & didnt realize was so poor at revceving few catches , nill yards and some drops

3 Disdnt realize when the team had a surprise 5-2 start. That was Percy Harvin, who led the league in all-purpose yards before suffering a season-ending injury.so Petersoons contribution was later

However u have to give some of Ponders late season playing quite wekll and yes without it woldnt have won but by keying on Peterson it made things easier on Ponder but he still had to dewliver the strikes when he did throw

Peter King even said Sunday (Week 17 finale) had him change his vote from Manning to Peterson.

KING has a vote , others noted and article writer doesnt

I wouldn't be upset if AP wins. He is VERY deserving, even if I disagree with the voters who is more deserving. I would not split my vote.

Here is what Peyton's teammates say about the Manning Effect:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/manning-has-made-all-of-the-broncos-better/

know the article, biut to Colt fans its nothing new, PEYTON"S STANDARDS ARE INTENSE

Dungy also with a bote before seasons end said if Vikings get playoff , he will probably Vote for AP too

Votes over, just waiting d for announcement and last year was  night before Superbowl, u have to wonder if it can have a psychological impact

anyway,. I am off now

I wouldn't be upset if AP wins. He is VERY deserving, even if I disagree with the voters who is more deserving. I would not split my vote.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/01/05/manning-has-made-all-of-the-broncos-better/

Thanks for the article.  I would expect nothing less from Peyton,  and nothing less from his teammates.

It's very special the way the team and city and fans have embraced him.  I've enjoyed every minute of it (bittersweet as it is)  still a good feeling to see Peyton happy and flourishing in Denver.

know the article, biut to Colt fans its nothing new, PEYTON"S STANDARDS ARE INTENSE

Dungy also with a bote before seasons end said if Vikings get playoff , he will probably Vote for AP too

Votes over, just waiting d for announcement and last year was night before Superbowl, u have to wonder if it can have a psychological impact

anyway,. I am off now

Dungy came back to say he changed his mind on SNF and voted for Manning instead. He said he couldnt get over how well Peyton is playing this year with all the ups and downs. Dungys vote went to Manning.

Thanks for the article.  I would expect nothing less from Peyton,  and nothing less from his teammates.

It's very special the way the team and city and fans have embraced him.  I've enjoyed every minute of it (bittersweet as it is)  still a good feeling to see Peyton happy and flourishing in Denver.

Dungy came back to say he changed his mind on SNF and voted for Manning instead. He said he couldnt get over how well Peyton is playing this year with all the ups and downs. Dungys vote went to Manning.

some where in one of the other posts on this  I made a list of those AP voters  that said who would voter for

were slightly more for AP

MOST othersd  wwere waiting for last game

So Dungy changed based on last day and King changed his ther other way

Peyuton had a great last day with a 140 something rating and  further upping his QBR putting him only 1 in the 80's ( jas been in the 80/as quite a while )  and 7 above Brady who was # 2 & delivering 1st seed

It all depends on what the individual voter defines as Value

I'm still trying to figure out why so many Pats fans have gone out of their way to discredit and make a push against Manning on a COLTS forum. SMH..

They're insecure maybe? Afraid Tom won't go down as the greatest of all time? Still bitter that Manning way higher on NFL networks list of the 100 greatest players of all time? Who knows?

If Manning wins yet ANOTHER MVP and don't do anything in the post season, what more could you ask for? He got that 4th one that I never thought he deserved (Brees and Favre IMO your two real MVPs of 2009) and look what he did after that in the Super Bowl. It's going to be a joke if gets yet another one and wins nothing after it. 1 Super Bowl win, 1 Super Bowl loss, below .500 record in the playoffs, and 5 MVPs? I just can't understand that at all. He already has more MVP's than anyone in NFL history, yet his post season records really reflect favoritism from the NFL rather than actually earning it. You would think someone with 4 MVP's would have a handful of rings.

If Manning wins yet ANOTHER MVP and don't do anything in the post season, what more could you ask for? He got that 4th one that I never thought he deserved (Brees and Favre IMO your two real MVPs of 2009) and look what he did after that in the Super Bowl. It's going to be a joke if gets yet another one and wins nothing after it. 1 Super Bowl win, 1 Super Bowl loss, below .500 record in the playoffs, and 5 MVPs? I just can't understand that at all. He already has more MVP's than anyone in NFL history, yet his post season records really reflect favoritism from the NFL rather than actually earning it. You would think someone with 4 MVP's would have a handful of rings.

And what about a scenario where the Broncos Win the Super Bowl...??? 

It's based on the season, not the post season. What does his super bowl loss have to do with it?

If you don't take an article about the top MVP candidates that was written by one of the voters for the MVP seriously... then I don't even know how to comment on that. Whatever your feelings are about him, he is one of the people who's opinion matters, and he has Manning in 3rd place for MVP this year, which is 1 spot higher than I had him.

Is Gregg a voter? Not doubting it just have never seen anything indicating such? Is this his first year, because I believe he was with PFT for a while?

Anyways, that hardly takes away from how ridiculous he is. Did you ignore his quote about Shaun Alexander? If that isn't a statement to generate controversy for page views I don't know what is.

When you have a writing staff as large as the NFL's you need some guys who have experience in the game, you need some guys to analyze the stats, you need guys who scouted in college, and Gregg falls in the last category, guys who say ridiculous things that push the envelope.

Gregg also said midseason that Peyton was number 3, but would move up to one because of his schedule. Well Peyton only went undefeated and was statistically the best QB during that span yet he got piggy-backed by an inconsistent Brady losing to the 9ers and nearly the Jags.

How can you take all these inconsistencies seriously unless you come into it with a previously held bias?

Is Gregg a voter? Not doubting it just have never seen anything indicating such? Is this his first year, because I believe he was with PFT for a while?

Anyways, that hardly takes away from how ridiculous he is. Did you ignore his quote about Shaun Alexander? If that isn't a statement to generate controversy for page views I don't know what is.

When you have a writing staff as large as the NFL's you need some guys who have experience in the game, you need some guys to analyze the stats, you need guys who scouted in college, and Gregg falls in the last category, guys who say ridiculous things that push the envelope.

Gregg also said midseason that Peyton was number 3, but would move up to one because of his schedule. Well Peyton only went undefeated and was statistically the best QB during that span yet he got piggy-backed by an inconsistent Brady losing to the 9ers and nearly the Jags.

How can you take all these inconsistencies seriously unless you come into it with a previously held bias?

NO, but from ones i have seen a few more voted for ap than peyton

Peter king based on last game changed mind and voted for AP instaed of peyton

Dungy did opposite supposedly

others i posted in 1 of the threads on this topic where they were leaning to before vote  but no time to look to find, tried but had to stop 

CURRENT VOTER LIST for 2012, this year< SORRY dont have link but here is a list  previously posted by another member & he did have a link to AP webssite so its correct

esp as it named top candiaires and there wewre Peyton Ap, Brady,Rodger , others  noted by alpabetical order   and by position 

Howard Balzer, USA TODAY — Email: HBalzer@aol.com; Twitter: @HBalzer721

Don Banks, Sports Illustrated — Twitter: @DonBanks

Jarrett Bell, USA Today — Email: jbell@usatoday.com; Twitter: @JarrettBell

Bob Berger, Sporting News Radio

Chris Berman, ESPN

Clifton Brown, Sporting News — Email: cliftonbrown@sportingnews.com; Twitter: @CliftonBrownSN

Rich Cimini, ESPN New York — Twitter: @RichCimini

John Clayton, ESPN — Twitter: @ClaytonESPN

Steve Cohen, Sirius Satellite Radio

Cris Collinsworth, NBC — Twitter: @CollinsworthNBC

Frank Cooney, The SportsXchange — Email: fcooney@sportsxchange.com

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY — Twitter: @JimCorbettUSAT

Bob Costas, NBC

Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune — Email: mcraig@startribune.com; Twitter: @markcraignfl

Tom Curran, Comcast SportsNet New England — Email: tcurran@comcastsportsnet.com; Twitter: @tomecurran

John Czarnecki, Fox Sports — Contact: http://msn.foxsports.../John_Czarnecki

Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News — Email: pdomo@aol.com; Twitter: @pdomo

Tony Dungy, NBC — Twitter: @TonyDungy

David Elfin — Twitter: @davidelfin

Boomer Esiason, CBS — Twitter: @7BOOMERESIASON

Ashley Fox, ESPN — Twitter: @AshleyMFox

Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News — Email: mgaughan@buffnews.com; Twitter: @gggaughan

Rich Gannon, CBS Sports, SiriusXM — Twitter: @RichGannon12

Darin Gantt, Pro Football Talk — Twitter: @DarrinGantt

Nancy Gay, FOXSports.com — Contact: http://msn.foxsports...riter/Nancy_Gay; Twitter: @nancygay

Bob Glauber, Newsday — Email: bob.glauber@newsday.com; Twitter: @BobGlauber

Dave Goldberg — Twitter: @davegoldberg84

Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News — Email: rgosselin@dallasnews.com

Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer — Email: tgrossi@plaind.com; Twitter: @TonyGrossi

Paul Gutierrez, Comcast SportsNet California — Twitter: @PGutierrezCSN

Clark Judge, CBS Sports — Contact: http://www.cbssports...s/writers/judge; Twitter: @ClarkJudgeCBS

Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune — Email: ikaufman@tampatrib.com

Peter King, Sports Illustrated — Twitter: @SI_PeterKing

Jeff Legwold, Denver Post — Email: jlegwold@denverpost.com; Twitter: @Jeff_Legwold

Alex Marvez, FOXsports.com — Contact: http://msn.foxsports...er?authorId=309; Twitter:@alexmarvez

John McClain, Houston Chronicle — Email: john.mcclain@chron.com; Twitter: @McLain_on_NFL

Pat McManamon, FOX Sports Ohio — Twitter: @PatMcManamon

Chris Mortensen, ESPN — Twitter: @mortreport

Gary Myers, New York Daily News — Email: gmyers@nydailynews.com; Twitter: @garymyersNYDN

Danny O’Neil, Seattle Times — Email: doneil@seattletimes.com; Twitter: @dannyoneil

Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune — Email: dpompei@tribune.com; Twitter: @danpompei

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports — Contact: http://www.cbssports.../writers/prisco; Twitter: @priscoCBS

Tim Ryan, FOX Sports

Armando Salguero, Miami Herald — Email: asalguero@miamiherald.com; Twitter: @ArmandoSalguero

Adam Schein, Sirius NFL Radio — Twitter: @AdamSchein

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel — Email: tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com; Twitter: @TomSilverstein

Kent Somers, Arizona Republic — Email: kent.somers@arizonarepublic.com; Twitter: @kentsomers

Adam Teicher, Kansas City Star — Email: ateicher@kcstar.com; Twitter: @adamteicher

Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram — Email: cjwilliams@star-telegram.com; Twitter: @NFLCharean

^^^

I really wish I hadn't looked at the list of voters. The MVP is now ruined for me, lol...

Other than Cris Collinsworth who played for the Bengals, not enough former football players are listed among the MVP voting candidates that's my problem with it. Media may report on contracts, injuries, and cuts or terminations, but they have no idea what real football players endure every single season. 

chris-collinsworth.jpg

others i posted in 1 of the threads on this topic where they were leaning to before vote  but no time to look to find, tried but had to stop 

CURRENT VOTER LIST for 2012, this year< SORRY dont have link but here is a list  previously posted by another member & he did have a link to AP webssite so its correct

esp as it named top candiaires and there wewre Peyton Ap, Brady,Rodger , others  noted by alpabetical order   and by position 

Chris Berman, ESPN

Clifton Brown, Sporting News — Email: cliftonbrown@sportingnews.com; Twitter: @CliftonBrownSN

Bob Costas, NBC

Mark Craig, Minneapolis Star Tribune — Email: mcraig@startribune.com; Twitter: @markcraignfl

Tom Curran, Comcast SportsNet New England — Email: tcurran@comcastsportsnet.com; Twitter: @tomecurran

Nancy Gay, FOXSports.com — Contact: http://msn.foxsports...riter/Nancy_Gay; Twitter: @nancygay

Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer — Email: tgrossi@plaind.com; Twitter: @TonyGrossi

Clark Judge, CBS Sports — Contact: http://www.cbssports...s/writers/judge; Twitter: @ClarkJudgeCBS

Jeff Legwold, Denver Post — Email: jlegwold@denverpost.com; Twitter: @Jeff_Legwold

Alex Marvez, FOXsports.com — Contact: http://msn.foxsports...er?authorId=309; Twitter:@alexmarvez

John McClain, Houston Chronicle — Email: john.mcclain@chron.com; Twitter: @McLain_on_NFL

Gary Myers, New York Daily News — Email: gmyers@nydailynews.com; Twitter: @garymyersNYDN

Danny O’Neil, Seattle Times — Email: doneil@seattletimes.com; Twitter: @dannyoneil

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports — Contact: http://www.cbssports.../writers/prisco; Twitter: @priscoCBS

Tim Ryan, FOX Sports

Armando Salguero, Miami Herald — Email: asalguero@miamiherald.com; Twitter: @ArmandoSalguero

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel — Email: tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com; Twitter: @TomSilverstein

Kent Somers, Arizona Republic — Email: kent.somers@arizonarepublic.com; Twitter: @kentsomers

Adam Teicher, Kansas City Star — Email: ateicher@kcstar.com; Twitter: @adamteicher

Charean Williams, Fort Worth Star-Telegram — Email: cjwilliams@star-telegram.com; Twitter: @NFLCharean

Certainly, I am not advocating that media do not play a vital role in voting for an MVP. A nice blend of media personnel & players is required, but that listed is dominated by sports writers, newspaper writers, & radio personalities. Tony Dungy also played in the NFL too. 

p-358274-tony-dungy-autographed-hand-sig

I still say that Peyton Manning is a lock for Comeback Player Of The Year. Beyond that, I have no idea. No MVP for Manning. I want him to win the SB Baby!!! No MVP Award hanging around his head like an  albatross from the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner please. No curse needed. Thank you.

PART ONE
IT IS an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three.
'By thy long grey beard and glittering eye,
Now wherefore stopp'st thou me?...

The Wedding-Guest sat on a stone:
He cannot choose but hear;
And thus spake on that ancient man,
The bright-eyed Mariner.

'The ship was cheered, the harbour cleared,
Merrily did we drop
Below the kirk, below the hill,
Below the lighthouse top.

The Sun came up upon the left,
Out of the sea came he!
And he shone bright, and on the right
Went down into the sea...

And now the Storm-blast came, and he
Was tyrannous and strong:
He struck with his o'ertaking wings,
And chased us south along.

With sloping masts and dipping prow,
As who pursued with yell and blow
Still treads the shadow of his foe,
And forward bends his head,
The ship drove fast, loud roared the blast,
And southward aye we fled...

The ice was here, the ice was there,
The ice was all around:
It cracked and growled, and roared and howled,
Like noises in a swound!

At length did cross an Albatross,
Thorough the fog it came;
As if it had been a Christian soul,
We hailed it in God's name.

It ate the food it ne'er had eat,
And round and round it flew.
The ice did split with a thunder-fit;
The helmsman steered us through!

And a good south wind sprung up behind;
The Albatross did follow,
And every day, for food or play,
Came to the mariners' hollo!

In mist or cloud, on mast or shroud,
It perched for vespers nine;
Whiles all the night, through fog-smoke white,
Glimmered the white Moon-shine.'

'God save thee, ancient Mariner!
From the fiends, that plague thee thus!--
Why look'st thou so?'--'With my cross-bow
I shot the Albatross.'

In the poem, an albatross, or bird ,starts to follow a ship — being followed by an albatross was generally considered an omen of good luck. However, the mariner shoots the albatross with a crossbow, which is regarded as an act that will curse the ship (which indeed suffers terrible mishaps). To punish him, his companions induce him to wear the dead albatross around his neck indefinitely (until they all die from the curse, as it happens). Thus the albatross can be both an omen of good or bad luck, as well as a metaphor for a burden to be carried (as penance).

My point is the MVP Award feels like a curse or albatross for Manning preventing him for winning another Lombardi Trophy...

Albatross1.JPG

The symbolism used in the Coleridge poem: 

Ah ! well a-day ! what evil looks
Had I from old and young !
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung.

I'm still trying to figure out why so many Pats fans have gone out of their way to discredit and make a push against Manning on a COLTS forum. SMH..

No one is trying to discredit him, we are simply making the argument that not only is AP more deserving of MVP this year, but Aaron Rodgers is more deserving as well.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are basically on the same fence, you could argue either one of them although I think that Brady gets the edge simply because he has had less to work with as a team overall and had a horrid defense backing him up all year, plus he was missing his top weapons for 15 or so games.  Gronk and Hernandez are their offensive superstars that just got big contracts, but both of them weren't even on the field together except for 1-2 games for the entire year.  Not to mention the high number of injuries that they sustained to their offensive line.

AP and Aaron Rodgers are head and shoulders above Manning though.  Rodgers stats are clearly better and he did it with injuries to his entire receiving core and RBs all year long.   Manning winning the award would be because of his story and because his name is Peyton Manning, not because he deserves it over those other 2 players.  Ive basically tried to remove brady from the argument since most Colts fans get so defensive and uptight when someone even suggests that Brady is on the same level as or should win an award over Manning, they act like the world is going to end, so I don't even have to use Brady because Rodgers and Peterson have made that easy.

I try to steer clear of making comments that question the intelligence of anyone posting here and that is all I can say without getting my reply deleted.

Unbelievable. 

What about that comment suggests my lack of intelligence?  The fact that the Broncos gave Manning the richest contract for a QB in the entire league because they thought he wouldn't be able to return to form and play at an elite level? 

Believing that shows a lack of intelligence.  There is no way they give him that contract if they believed that his injury was career threatening, people just love to keep saying that to try and add more drama to his story, which is a great story for the Comeback Player of the Year award, but totally irrelevant to the MVP award.

Yea, im the one lacking in intelligence.. lol.  I know if I was the General Manager of a team, I would give a $100 million dollar contract to someone that I thought could never play in the NFL again and wouldn't have the arm strength to throw the football down the field!  That is solid management strategy right there!  

ORRRR Manning saw their team doctors, like what was written in many articles, and they determined that he would be able to come back and play, it was just a matter of time for the nerve to regenerate so that he could start building arm strength again.  This isn't rocket science, he had over a year to recover from this injury and there is no way on this green earth that they give him that contract and put all of their eggs into 1 basket if they thought there was even a remote chance that he wouldn't be able to return to his old form.  Then he returns to his old form and everyone acts shocked and just want to hand him trophies and awards because of it.

They're insecure maybe? Afraid Tom won't go down as the greatest of all time? Still bitter that Manning way higher on NFL networks list of the 100 greatest players of all time? Who knows?

Its because we don't want to see the MVP award &quot;ized by handing yet another one to Manning when he was not the MVP.  Just because his name is Manning is the reason he is even considered this year, and because he came back from an injury.  Only problem is, the injury has nothing to do with the MVP award... They actually created a very specific award for players that return from injury, its called the COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

If I was all butt hurt about Brady, I would be saying that he should be the MVP, but im not.. Im saying Adrian Peterson should be the MVP, and if not Peterson then Aaron Rodgers.. If not Aaron Rodgers then my vote would be for Brady.  Manning's defense won they multiple games this year, hes playing great but he is on a totally complete team (the reason he picked Denver to begin with).

You want to talk about insecurity, Colts fans have been obsessed with discrediting Brady his entire career.  There was always an excuse, when he was winning SBs it was because his defense and kicker carried them through the playoffs and that he was just a "dink and dunk" passer, which was used ALL the time on this board as if it was some sort of negative tag associated with him.  Colts fans would scream at the top of their lungs "But Manning has stats way better than Brady!!! STATS!!  Omg Stats!!" then the Patriots finally decided to give Brady more weapons than Rache Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney (While Manning was suffering with horrible talent like Marshal Faulk, Edjerin James, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, Reggie Wayne and 3 pro bowlers on his offensive line), so they went out and traded for Randy Moss, traded for Wes Welker and signed Dante Stallworth and he proceeded to break all sorts of offensive records, including Manning's TD record...  What did Colts fans say?  Oh yea, "Its all because of Randy Moss!  Anyone could throw the ball up to Randy Moss and do well!  Brady is just a system QB that benefits from having the greatest WR ever!"  Then the Patriots trade away Moss because he started to be a malcontent, they drafted 2 tight ends and evolved the offense yet again under Brady under his what seems like his 10th offensive coordinator and put up the 3rd most points in NFL history this year, with no true #1 WR threat.. 

Brady had the rings, people argued that he didn't have the stats.. now he has the stats, and they struggle to find reasons to continue to discredit him but it doesn't stop them from trying. 

This year, Brady put up nearly 5000 yards again and threw less interceptions than Manning, and he did that with his best receiver being 5'9".. He was missing Hernandez for over 6 weeks, he was missing Gronkowski for over 6 weeks, he had tons of injuries to his offensive line all year, including his best one in Logan Mankins, and still he put up silly numbers every single week, knowing that his horrendous defense was going to probably give up 24-30 points so he had to score 30+ just to give them a chance to win the game.  The pressure was on Brady every single week this year to perform at an exceptional level to compensate for his lack of a defense... The very same thing that Colts fans years ago used as their shining example of why Manning was not only better than Brady, but deserving of MVPs.. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, they all quickly change their criteria for what it means to be an MVP.  I guess the new criteria for being an MVP is changing teams and coming back from an injury and having a good year on par with several others at your position.

Talk about grasping at straws.. Ive never seen a more insecure fan base than the Colts when it comes to their now former QB.

What about that comment suggests my lack of intelligence?  The fact that the Broncos gave Manning the richest contract for a QB in the entire league because they thought he wouldn't be able to return to form and play at an elite level? 

Believing that shows a lack of intelligence.  There is no way they give him that contract if they believed that his injury was career threatening, people just love to keep saying that to try and add more drama to his story, which is a great story for the Comeback Player of the Year award, but totally irrelevant to the MVP award.

Yea, im the one lacking in intelligence.. lol.

The Broncos gambled and won.  There was no precedent to read about for returning from multiple neck surgeries, there was no sure bet that he would return to the form he has displayed this year.  

Most valuable means just that, without Christian Ponder the Vikings and Adrian Peterson crashed to reality.  Manning lost his top running back Willis McGahee and it was business as usual, the most valuable player continued to win.  I am sorry I inferred any lack of intelligence, I just think you need to open your eyes to the reality of the doubts that existed about Peyton Manning.

Its because Manning is a media darling.. If hes within 5-10% of the stats that other Qbs have, they default the award to him. 

What a total travesty it would be if Adrian Peterson after having one of the greatest seasons of all time for a RB that carried his team into the playoffs in a tough division is overlooked just to continue to glorify Manning in a year where his stats were on par with a bunch of other QBs.  No stat of Manning's sticks out and makes you say "OMG!! WHAT A YEAR FOR MANNING!"

Chris Berman, ESPN

Bob Costas, NBC

Tim Ryan, FOX Sports

How does Tony Dungy get a vote for MVP?  He hasn't even been a member of the AP for all that long.  Also, him voting for Manning is a huge bias, almost borderline conflict of interest.  He is obsessed with Manning and won a Super Bowl with him... Gee, I wonder who he is going to vote for! I don't even know how you can change your mind after the last game of the year, AP put up 200 yards and 2 touchdowns in a must win against a division rival lol... What more could you possibly do to cement your claim as the MVP?  Yet, after that performance, Dungy "changed his mind?"  More like he had his mind made up to begin with.