Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The MVP case for Peyton Manning

oldunclemark

Team Backs No. 18 for MVP

Posted Jan 2, 2013 - By Tyler Everett

The Broncos voice their support for quarterback Peyton Manning as NFL MVP.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – In his first season as a Denver Bronco, quarterback Peyton Manning set new franchise records for completions (400), completion percentage (68.6) and passing yards (4,659), to name a few.

Manning’s numbers make a good case that the quarterback deserves to be named NFL MVP, which would add to his total of four, already the most in league history. But his play will have to speak for itself, because Manning won’t be campaigning for the award.

“I really have not thought about that,” Manning said. “It has been such a unique season for me personally, I really feel fortunate to be playing. I really have had an interesting year and a half and so I am proud our team is in the mix. Some of the individual records going on, on teams that are not in the playoffs, I am glad to be in this situation where we have a chance to do something as a team that is special. Anything that comes along the way individually, in my past, I have accepted those on behalf of the teams I have been on. They are individual awards, but in my opinion they have always been team awards. That is kind of how I continue to approach things.”

His effort helped Denver reel off 11 consecutive wins to close the season, capturing the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs and home-field advantage throughout the postseason. With 13 wins, the AFC West Champion Broncos achieved a five-game improvement over last season’s 8-8 mark, which was also good enough for the division title. But between his individual success, the recent dominance by his team and the testimony from his teammates, Manning doesn’t need to talk himself up.

“You have to go with 18 (QB Peyton Manning),” defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson said when asked who he’d vote for. “My vote’s on 18. He took us to another whole level on this team internal-wise. Not just on the offense. Defense, special teams, everybody’s attention to detail goes up because you have somebody like that at the helm that wants the ball and that can do stuff when he gets the ball, so it’s always good.”

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't you heard? There is no case for Manning for MVP. That concept is absurd, he hasn't done anything special, he's only played better than Peyton Manning historically has, aka nothing special. Manning winning the award would be nothing but a sham, and outside of a feel good story there is nothing of substance to his 2012 season.

Message Key:

Red italicized text is laced with sarcasm 4 out 5 dentists don't recommend it.  

What I find funny is that they use the fact that he broke DENVER BRONCO records lol..  No one cares about the Denver Broncos or their records, Manning didn't even have close to as good a season as Aaron Rogers did while he struggled with injuries to his WR core and RBs all season long. 

Manning will not win this award, I have faith in the system and they would not tarnish this award by giving Manning a 5th one for being 3rd best among QBs this year, all while Adrian Peterson was having an historic season carrying his lousy offense to the playoffs.  Adrian Peterson was 40% of their total offense as a RB!  That was with other teams knowing he was going to get the ball too, especially after Percy Harvin went down. 

There is no debate.  Adrian Peterson is the MVP of this league and luckily there are a lot of AP voters that agree.

From Gregg Rosenthal:

I don't want to live in a world where Shaun Alexander owns an NFL MVP award and Adrian Peterson does not. I don't want to live in a world where one of the NFL's all-time great running backs has an all-time great season and does not win the award. This isn't about lifetime achievement. This is about 2012. No player was better or meant more over the course of the season than ...
1. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings

Peterson hit the top spot on my weekly MVP rankings for the first time last week. I made his MVP case then, and only an awful Week 17 performance would have knocked him out of the top spot. Instead, he racked up 199 rushing yards in a must-win game to drag an inferior Vikings team to the playoffs. He dragged a lousy offense to 37 points.

Peteson led the NFL in yards from scrimmage by 350 yards. There's nothing more that he could do. That it happened in the season after Peterson tore his ACL makes it a remarkable story, but this season is deserving of the award regardless.

2. Tom Brady, New England Patriots

What a sneaky awesome season by Brady. His Patriots led the NFL in points and yards by a huge margin. He nearly threw for 5,000 yards again and had just eight interceptions. He gets the ever-so-slight edge over Peyton Manning because he outplayed Manning head to head.

Manning will receive votes for MVP, and they are deserved. But it's strange that we give Manning a total pass for his biggest games of the season against the Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans and Patriots. Yes, it was before Manning had hit full stride. But those games count. When you are trying to separate two legendary quarterbacks, something has to break the tie.

3. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

Manning was good right away, great by midseason and keeps getting better. In recent weeks, the Broncos have added some routes that rely on Manning's arm strength even more, and he has handled it so well. He has made all the players around him better. Manning leads the NFL in QBR and completion percentage.

It's not hard to argue Manning was better this season than his final year or two with the Indianapolis Colts. No one saw that coming. He'll get a lot of MVP votes and might just win the award. He's not my pick, but he's certainly not a bad pick. I just worry some voters are voting for the story.

“You have to go with 18 (QB Peyton Manning),” defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson said when asked who he’d vote for. “My vote’s on 18. He took us to another whole level on this team internal-wise. Not just on the offense. Defense, special teams, everybody’s attention to detail goes up because you have somebody like that at the helm that wants the ball and that can do stuff when he gets the ball, so it’s always good.”

Not to mention that hes the best OC in the NFL, better than Arians.

And we * cut him....#.

3. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos

Manning was good right away, great by midseason and keeps getting better. In recent weeks, the Broncos have added some routes that rely on Manning's arm strength even more, and he has handled it so well. He has made all the players around him better. Manning leads the NFL in QBR and completion percentage.

It's not hard to argue Manning was better this season than his final year or two with the Indianapolis Colts. No one saw that coming. He'll get a lot of MVP votes and might just win the award. He's not my pick, but he's certainly not a bad pick. I just worry some voters are voting for the story.

That last line applies to Peterson more than Manning.

No one really believes Peterson was more valuable to his team that Manning was to Denver...

Peterson isnt even in on every offensive play

How many ways can a QB beat you? The answer is, many.

How many ways can an RB beat you? Probably only a few ways and despite how many they stacked against him, he still beat them. Once Harvin went down, it should have been more easier for teams to stop AP but they still could not. That is why AP is MVP. Go Adrian!!! (insert Rocky voice here :))

Team support was definitely a little more plentiful for Peyton and Brady, not as much with Peterson.

How many plays did Adrian Peterson call this season..? How many audibles did he make at the line?

How much does Peterson work on his own time with his new wide receivers...

..and how much does he coach his linemen when the defense is on the field..??

Nobody plays special extra man defenses against Manning passing?

Peyton has also changed the Broncos point differential from -81 points, last season Denver was only one of two teams in history to make the playoffs with a negative point differential, to +192. That is a swing of 273 points. If that isn't elevating an offense then I don't know what is.

How many plays did Adrian Peterson call this season..? How many audibles did he make at the line?

Its the MVP award, there is nothing that says you have to call plays to win the award, or audible.. Also, those things are not unique to Peyton Manning, like many would love to believe.

How much does Peterson work on his own time with his new wide receivers...

Again, irrelevant because hes not a QB, and again, this is not unique to Peyton Manning as some would love to believe.

..and how much does he coach his linemen when the defense is on the field..??

Nice try, but the Broncos have an offensive line coach, his name is Dave Magazu. Hes pretty good too. Now I see the Manning worshipers are bestowing new titles on him as well. Maybe next week Manning will be defensive coordinator also!

Nobody plays special extra man defenses against Manning passing?
This is as weak as it gets for arguments, everyone knows that the NFL has become a pass happy league which is why so many records are being broken all the time and 5000 yards is almost like the new norm now. Its a lot harder to get yards on the ground than it is through the air in this league, which only further cements Peterson as the MVP because he did it when defenses knew he was going to do it, but he did it anyways at not only an elite level, but at a historic level.

Again, Manning did NOTHING unique this year except come back from an injury, but its one that doctors and everyone said he would be ale to come back from. The Broncos would not have given him a $20 mill a year contract if they thought he wasnt going to be able to come back and play at an elite level, so don't even try to argue otherwise.

Heres another article from Daniel Jeremiah:

Let's take a look at the 10 most dominant players in this postseason:

1) Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers: Rodgers doesn't garner quite the same attention as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, but he is the NFL's most talented quarterback. He finished the regular season with 4,295 passing yards, 39 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. He dominated the 2010 postseason, throwing nine touchdown passes against only two interceptions while leading the Packers to a Super Bowl victory.

2) Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots: Brady has been consistently dominant in the postseason. He has led the Patriots to five Super Bowl appearances (winning three titles) and is unflappable in late-game, high-pressure situations. Last postseason, he tossed a career-best eight touchdown passes during New England's run to Super Bowl XLVI.

3) Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings: Peterson proved this season that he is fully capable of carrying both an offense and an entire team. Despite undergoing a major knee surgery in December 2011, he rushed for over 2,000 yards while playing with an anemic passing attack. He will need to carry an enormous load in order for the Vikings to advance in the postseason.

Brandt: Playoff QB rankings

Who is the best quarterback in the playoffs? The worst? Gil Brandt provides his rankings, as well as wild-card picks. More ...

4) Peyton Manning, QB, Denver Broncos: Manning's regular-season dominance is well documented. However, earlier in his career, there wasn't quite the same consistency during the postseason. That has changed in recent years. He has thrown 11 touchdown passes and only four interceptions over his past four postseason runs. Despite his improved play, though, the Colts were one-and-done in three of those four playoff appearances.

QBs do much more at a base level than RBs.....

....everyone plays special pass defenses against Manning and Brady and Brees...defenses they dont play aginst lesser QBs....

You play RG3 differently than you play others. I know you know that.

Peterson doesn't call plays, or work with wideouts.......he had to..he was on a new team

Its about being the Most valuable Player...Not the one who broke records.

Peterson was great...Manning was even more valuable...

That person is living in the past and I'm living in the present. :) How about you olduncklemark? :thmsup: Sounds like trolling to me. :troll::funny:

Cant worry about the past or the future...

Gotta live for today, Susie!!!

LET'S LIVE FOR TODAY

Grass Roots

When I think of all the worries people seem to find

And how they're in a hurry to complicate their mind

By chasing after money and dreams that can't come true

I'm glad that we are different, we've better things to do

May others plan their future, I'm busy lovin' you (1-2-3-4)

Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for today

And don't worry 'bout tomorrow, hey, hey, hey

Live for today

We were never meant to worry the way that people do

And I don't need to hurry as long as I'm with you

We'll take it nice and easy and use my simple plan

You'll be my lovin' woman, I'll be your lovin' man

We'll take the most from living, have pleasure while we can (2-3-4)

And don't worry 'bout tomorrow, hey, hey, hey

Live for today

Love that song....Its old but so am I...

I bet Tommy Tutone actually gets tired of singing 867-5309.

That was a good song.

There was a 'Beechwood 45789.,,..by the Marvelettes in the early 60s...

I heard they had to stop playing it on the radio back then because people would call the number and annoy other people..just for fun

What I find funny is that they use the fact that he broke DENVER BRONCO records lol..  No one cares about the Denver Broncos or their records,  

agree I dont care he broke Bronco records , & not declaring him MVP , though He Has My Bias , I am biased , so not objective and admit that

But Re breaking bronco records when u add in 1 more thing  he did  this season then in combination its the first  time in NFL HISTORY any QB did all these

ranking first in Bronco history in

completions (400), passing yards (4,659), completion percentage (68.6%), touchdowns (37) and passer rating (105.9).

& add in 

Oh, and by the way, he only had 11 interceptions in 2012, making him the only quarterback in NFL history 

to have those combined statistics in a single season.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/perspective-only-makes-manning-greater/

& led by  full 7 points   in QBR too & was only QB in the 80's

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

NOW SAYING THAT was just to point out its more than breaking Bronco records, HOWEVER I will also say stats dont tell the whole story good or bad

& thats why stats  alone arent really a true judge

Have a good night, enjoy the games this weekend ,

not trying to join the debate, just saying he did more than break Bronco Records

& Broncos set an attendance record too, I am not going to say thats value for the team as well & should be part of the consideration ( LOL )

Lmaoooo at the article stating ten most dominant in the post-season. Hmmm let's put Manning down because early on his team was terrible, and his kicker blew a few games. Clearly all Manning's fault, but will put Brady second because he got the three rings off of his kickers leg. Ignoring the fact in both of their last two Peyton is 1-1 and Tom is 0-2.

I thought players were judge by "lately" not the past. 

What I find funny is that they use the fact that he broke DENVER BRONCO records lol..  No one cares about the Denver Broncos or their records, Manning didn't even have close to as good a season as Aaron Rogers did while he struggled with injuries to his WR core and RBs all season long. 

Manning will not win this award, I have faith in the system and they would not tarnish this award by giving Manning a 5th one for being 3rd best among QBs this year, all while Adrian Peterson was having an historic season carrying his lousy offense to the playoffs.  Adrian Peterson was 40% of their total offense as a RB!  That was with other teams knowing he was going to get the ball too, especially after Percy Harvin went down. 

There is no debate.  Adrian Peterson is the MVP of this league and luckily there are a lot of AP voters that agree.

From Gregg Rosenthal:

As soon as I saw Gregg's name as your basis for citation I can't take you seriously. He's the only guy on NFL.com who I can say 'This must be written by Gregg,' when I'm reading the articles (I normally don't check the names until I start to feel like the author is being ridiculous). Gregg is ridiculous a lot.

Gil Brandt too.

I don't even think Brady is a top 4 candidate this year, he hasn't been consistent for a stretch any time this season. Manning is with a new team and put up better numbers than him and has been on a streak. Rodgers did more with less as well. Adrian nearly set the all time rushing record and put the Vikings on his back. JJ Watt is an animal and if he can't get MVP for the season he just had, defensive players are never going to get the award again.

Plus, Gregg's first sentence was'

I don't want to live in a world where Shaun Alexander has an MVP and Adrian Peterson doesn't

Shaun Alexander had almost 2000 yards and almost 30 TDs that season. Let that sink in, 30 TDs for someone other than the QB. And he says it like Shaun doesn't have 4 other ridiculous seasons for a RB. Statistically Shaun's first 6 seasons in the league are much better than Adrian's. What an ignorant fool Gregg is.

Lmaoooo at the article stating ten most dominant in the post-season. Hmmm let's put Manning down because early on his team was terrible, and his kicker blew a few games. Clearly all Manning's fault, but will put Brady second because he got the three rings off of his kickers leg. Ignoring the fact in both of their last two Peyton is 1-1 and Tom is 0-2.

Good one Stryker :thmup:

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, January 5, 2013 - inappropriate
Hidden by shecolt, January 5, 2013 - inappropriate
 Wouldn't you rather troll the Denver boards? Only a few of us still support Manning here. You'll get a better rise over there.

How do you defeat a troll? Watch this but it is rated M for Mature or PG13 some tin like that!! I want to see if it really works?

How do I get to a good active Denver site? Heee Heee!!!

Yep, I definitely agree there is a stronger case for Manning vs Brady for MVP than Peterson. 

It'd give everyone a nice, warm feeling if a non-QB position won MVP, but there is a reason it rarely ever happens; there are no players in this league more valuable than Manning/Brady/Rogers/Brees. If the league was full of Ponders or Gabberts (or maybe even Smiths) then certainly we could come up with a case for AP or a defensive player, but just not now. 

Team? He played awful in his first 3 post season games. Add in the two games at New England as well. The Colts D actually did a good job against us until really late in the third. It was only a 6-3 game. In '04 he just turned the ball over too many times. In '05 he went 3 and out 5 times. When's the last time you've seen Manning go 3 and out that many times in a game? Pretty rare. I can't think of any other games his kicker blew other than '05. Not to say Brady hasn't. Brady didn't play well in '05, '09 and '10. 

And why is it bad if Vinateri made those kicks? Vinateri didn't drive down the field himself. If a team only needs a FG to win, they are going to go for the FG. Also to correct your statement, only 2 games were won with game winning FGs. The last SB was not as close as the score suggests. Mcnabb scored a late TD with less than 2 mins left and the Pats ran down the clock to something like 30 seconds left. 

Lastly, the article was referencing the most dominant over the span of their career. Brady has played very well from start to finish. Yes he lost both superbowls but he put his team in a position to win in both super bowls. It came down to two game winning drives by Eli to win the SB. Compare that to Mannings unfortunate pick 6 which put his team in a huge hole. 

Remember that statistics don't tell the whole story. Sort of how everyone talks about how Manning didn't play well in his SB win but don't realize he did an excellent job of audibling to the run and took huge chunks of time off the clock. 

Team? He played awful in his first 3 post season games. Add in the two games at New England as well. The Colts D actually did a good job against us until really late in the third. It was only a 6-3 game. In '04 he just turned the ball over too many times. In '05 he went 3 and out 5 times. When's the last time you've seen Manning go 3 and out that many times in a game? Pretty rare. I can't think of any other games his kicker blew other than '05. Not to say Brady hasn't. Brady didn't play well in '05, '09 and '10.

And why is it bad if Vinateri made those kicks? Vinateri didn't drive down the field himself. If a team only needs a FG to win, they are going to go for the FG. Also to correct your statement, only 2 games were won with game winning FGs. The last SB was not as close as the score suggests. Mcnabb scored a late TD with less than 2 mins left and the Pats ran down the clock to something like 30 seconds left.

Lastly, the article was referencing the most dominant over the span of their career. Brady has played very well from start to finish. Yes he lost both superbowls but he put his team in a position to win in both super bowls. It came down to two game winning drives by Eli to win the SB. Compare that to Mannings unfortunate pick 6 which put his team in a huge hole.

Remember that statistics don't tell the whole story. Sort of how everyone talks about how Manning didn't play well in his SB win but don't realize he did an excellent job of audibling to the run and took huge chunks of time off the clock.

Both FX & SG are friends of mine whose opinions & viewpoints I do respect a great deal. I must thank you both for bringing up an interesting point. Football is divided between 3 units: Offense, defense, & Special Teams.

QBs don't compete against QB's they compete against LB's, DE's, DB's & Safeties. They have no control over whether or not a kicker on Special Teams nails the ball between the uprights of the field goal post. Sure Brady or Manning can make the kicking distance shorter, but ultimately they are not striking the pigskin with their foot. Adam Vinnaterri's success or failure has nothing to do with the quarterback. When Adam won that Ravens game on our 2006 SB run no one ever says "Manning doesn't deserve his SB ring because Adam kicked so many field goals in a Playoff game" yet they love to say that regarding Brady in 2001 vs the Rams. A ludicrous argument. A victory is a victory & a ring is a ring.

My point is each unit must do it's job to win a game, a division title, or a SB & people must evaluate each unit accordingly & not attach an unflattering stigma to a QB they have no control over & cannot be held responsible for. Judge a QB on his secondary manipulation, judge a defense based on QB's sacks, safeties, blocked passes, & stopping 1st down & 3rd down conversions; and judge Special Teams players on field position, pinning your enemy deep, & making FG kicks consistently regardless of weather conditions, quarter, or distance.

At this point, all I want for a New Year's gift is Manning & Brady facing 1 another's secondaries 1 last time in the AFC Championship Game. Sure, it's not exactly like it used to be, but like a great rock-n-roll on their final retirement tour when they sing your favorite song the vocal chords aren't what they used to be but it still makes you smile at the end of the day because "the more things change. The more they remain the same. Nice!

Against Tennessee he played bad.

Against Miami he won the game, and Vaderjagt missed the field goal in overtime. Tom Brady doesn't know anything about his kicker winning games or anything.

Against the Jets I'll give you he played bad, but it wasn't just him. The whole team looked lost.

The '03 game against the Pats, I'll give you the picks, and he played bad. A lot of bad passes, but that game changed the rules of the NFL because the Pats played too close for comfort against our WRs for the NFL.

In '04 he turned the ball over too many times? He has one interception, and it was in the final 5 seconds of the game. I guess you forget all the fumbles and dropped passes in the redzone. By our sure handed guys. In the SB run when Reggie let the ball fly in the air, all I thought was "wow youse ******* did it again to us. How are you going to fumble on this amazing comeback." Amazingly Reggie snagged the ball out of the air from 5(?) if not 6 Pats around him.

In '05 the line played horrible. Peyton was not even in the pocket for half a second before he was sacked. But he led the comeback charge at the end. But again Vanderjagt missed the field goal. The worst part about it was his cocky look he gave to Cowher when he iced him acting like he wasn't going to miss it.

I'm not afraid to admit when Peyton has played bad, but MAJORITY of the blame he gets are from screw ups he has no control over whatsoever.

Brady has not been Brady since his first loss to Denver in '05. He has played sub-par excluding the Jags and Broncos game. His last 5 meaningful games, the 3 AFCCG and the 2 Superbowls, he has more INTs than TDs and he has a few safties in there. I'll give you the three Super Bowl runs. He played lights out, but how long are they going to let him ride that?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing for the kickers to win the game. What I am saying is you can't discredit a QB if they do they same exact thing, but the only difference is one's kicker makes it and the other doesn't. Yes, Brady drove them down the field. You cannot take that away. Peyton has done the same thing before, but the difference is Vandy shanked it. TWICE.

I know Brady won the SB against the Eagles. Vinny had nothing to do with that. But the Raiders, Rams, and Panthers I can guarantee you that you would lose if Mike was your kicker. So yes Vinny's leg started that dynasty. I still stand by the fact he is the reason you have three rings. Just like he is the reason we have ours. I sure would have loved to have Adam in '00, '05, and even '09 SB. I'm a firm believer if Stover makes the field goal and we go up 20-16 the Saints don't go for two. Thus making the final drive much calmer for the offense and not rushing for the INT to be forced.

If the article is on the span of their careers why is AJ Green on the list? He played abysmal in his SOLE playoff game. The list is about how everyone is playing currently except when it comes to Tom and Peyton. Peyton has played better than Tom this season so he should get the spot before him, but nope they'll bring up early career games.

Stats do not tell you the whole story I agree with you. Most of the time people don't even know what stats mean. The Quarterback Rating for example is not a number ranking the QBs from best to worst. Although some like to believe that. It is simply a formula to pin the efficiency. Just because your efficient doesn't mean your a great QB i.e. Alex Smith. 

No one cares about the Bronco records even though John Elway is considered a top tier QB of all time? Manning breaks all of Elway's records and still gets blasted for not doing enough!

NO ONE does more for a team year in and year out than Peyton Manning. Ask the Denver team who they would rather have as their QB, and yet one of the excuses for Manning not worthy of MVP is that the Broncos went to the playoffs last year. Let's see...8-8 in 2011, 13-3 Number 1 Seed 2012. Yeah, no big deal. (sarcasm) I remember Herm Edward's at the beginning of the year saying that the Broncos would be 9-7 at the end of this season.

Manning couldn't even throw a football last year, something all QB's should be able to do (sarcasm, again). This man deserves all the accolades. What Peterson did is amazing as well, but Manning changed the culture of football in Denver with the fans, the team, and the coaches and did it in one year!

No one cares about the Bronco records even though John Elway is considered a top tier QB of all time? Manning breaks all of Elway's records and still gets blasted for not doing enough!

NO ONE does more for a team year in and year out than Peyton Manning. Ask the Denver team who they would rather have as their QB, and yet one of the excuses for Manning not worthy of MVP is that the Broncos went to the playoffs last year. Let's see...8-8 in 2011, 13-3 Number 1 Seed 2012. Yeah, no big deal. (sarcasm) I remember Herm Edward's at the beginning of the year saying that the Broncos would be 9-7 at the end of this season.

Manning couldn't even throw a football last year, something all QB's should be able to do (sarcasm, again). This man deserves all the accolades. What Peterson did is amazing as well, but Manning changed the culture of football in Denver with the fans, the team, and the coaches and did it in one year!

Again, you're just using subjective and sentimental things to make his claim. Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Ryan, hell even Stafford would have gone into Denver and broke those records. This is a passing league, the record books have all been assaulted across the LEAGUE, nevermind the Denver Broncos. If you put Brady on the KC Chiefs, they break all the records, you put Aaron Rodgers on the Cardinals and he breaks all of their franchise records... I don't get this mentality, how everyone acts so shocked that you take an elite Hall of Fame quarterback and put him on a team that has no QB and he makes them better, it just blows my mind.. Everyone acts like its special and unique to Manning. He broke DENVER BRONCO records, NOT NFL records... That is worthy of getting recognition from the Broncos and their franchise, but that doesn't earn you an MVP trophy.

I have no idea what you're even talking about "changing the culture" thats a bunch of nonsense. The Broncos have been a playoff contending team multiple times over the last decade and were 2 time champs in the 90s. Again, just more Manning worship making stuff up and creating sentiment instead of sticking to facts.

The Vikings do not make the playoffs period without Adrian Peterson having an historic season. The Broncos make it to the playoffs last year in that weak division with a horrible, horrible QB. It is not a surprise that Manning has improved their record and is winning there, especially with that defense.

Oh, and if you go over to the Broncos message board, they already have threads up now trying to create a special name for their defense, thats how much they recognize the dominance of that defense. It is not all Peyton Manning, he picked the Broncos because that was the most complete team in the entire league and he would have a Super Star in Demarius Thomas to throw to. They also brought in Stokely and Tamme for him as well to give him some familiar weapons. He has an outstanding offensive line and a very productive ground game as well. That whole team is playing great football, but again Manning worship takes over and they give all the credit to Manning, even having the gull to say that he has "changed the culture" of the Denver Broncos lol... Their culture has been Super Bowl titles, Hall of Fame Qbs and playoff births for some time now, Manning has changed nothing except their record books, and thats because they haven't had a QB worht a damn in 15 years.

And Elway did not put up crazy numbers back in the 90's, he was good but he broke 4000 yards ONCE in his entire career when he got 4,030 yards in 1993. The most TD passes hes ever thrown were a whopping 27.

No, it is not shocking or a huge accomplishment that an elite QB like Manning broke those weak records over in Denver, or anywhere else he might have gone, in this new modern era of NFL football where everyone and their mom is going over 4,000 yards now. Andrew Luck would have broke the Denver Bronco records this year with his stats.. It is not an amazing accomplishment, its not like he went to Miami and broke Marino's records, or went to San Fran and broke Joe Montana's records.. Elway was a bit more of a running QB, Manning is a pure pocket passer playing in 2012, where the rules have been so heavily favored on the side of the offense that its a regular thing now for QBs to throw for over 4,000.

5,000 is going to be the new norm soon.

from  my comment ,its # 23 also in reply to same  comment u replied to but the  i will repeat here save for 1 line

He dd more than just break Bronco Records 

But Re breaking bronco records when u add in 1 more thing  he did  this season then in combination its the first  time in NFL HISTORY any QB did all these

ranking first in Bronco history in

completions (400), passing yards (4,659), completion percentage (68.6%), touchdowns (37) and passer rating (105.9).

& add in 

Oh, and by the way, he only had 11 interceptions in 2012, making him

the only quarterback in NFL history to have those combined statistics in a single season.

http://blog.denverbr...anning-greater/

& led by  full 7 points   in QBR too & was only QB in the 80's

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

NOW SAYING THAT was just to point out its more than breaking Bronco records, HOWEVER I will also say stats dont tell the whole story good or bad

& thats why stats  alone arent really a true judge

Have a good night, enjoy the games this weekend ,

not trying to join the debate, just saying he did more than break Bronco Records

& Broncos set an attendance record too, I am not going to say thats value for the team as well & should be part of the consideration ( LOL )

ALSO I WILL ADD HERE   if u ask the d they say they have  gotten better all season , by prcatricing against Peyton & not tebow & indeed the D is much better

As soon as I saw Gregg's name as your basis for citation I can't take you seriously. He's the only guy on NFL.com who I can say 'This must be written by Gregg,' when I'm reading the articles (I normally don't check the names until I start to feel like the author is being ridiculous). Gregg is ridiculous a lot.

Gil Brandt too.

I don't even think Brady is a top 4 candidate this year, he hasn't been consistent for a stretch any time this season. Manning is with a new team and put up better numbers than him and has been on a streak. Rodgers did more with less as well. Adrian nearly set the all time rushing record and put the Vikings on his back. JJ Watt is an animal and if he can't get MVP for the season he just had, defensive players are never going to get the award again.

Plus, Gregg's first sentence was'

Shaun Alexander had almost 2000 yards and almost 30 TDs that season. Let that sink in, 30 TDs for someone other than the QB. And he says it like Shaun doesn't have 4 other ridiculous seasons for a RB. Statistically Shaun's first 6 seasons in the league are much better than Adrian's. What an ignorant fool Gregg is.

If you don't take an article about the top MVP candidates that was written by one of the voters for the MVP seriously... then I don't even know how to comment on that. Whatever your feelings are about him, he is one of the people who's opinion matters, and he has Manning in 3rd place for MVP this year, which is 1 spot higher than I had him.

Tom Brady doesn't know anything about his kicker winning games or anything.

I love when Colts fans try to lean on some weak argument like Adam V won those SBs, not Tom Brady. Its like they black out and completely forget their own team history. You know, when Manning and his offense couldn't score a single touchdown in the divisional round of the playoffs against the Ravens and had to rely on Adam V kicking 5 field goals and rely on their defense holding the Ravens to less than that to win that game and eventually go on to win the Super Bowl. Super Bowls are won by teams, but in the world of Manning worship, its all Peyton Manning.. He makes everyone play better, the defense, the kickers, everyone! He is magical!