Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck vs RGIII. This should settle things among those who don't know which to chose

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here a counter point for people who say we just had a weak schedule, Luck has better stats against playoff bound teams, much better. He has twice as many TDs as INTs(14-7 I think, don't remember the exact numbers) but against non playoff teams its nearly even (9-11?) completion % is slightly better. FJC where are ya?

Dunno if this has been answered yet but I believe the last time I saw the stats it was 10 TD - 4 int against playoff teams. With 3 of those int against NE and one in the first Texans meeting.

After a decade or so of Manning v Brady, experts (neutral) are still unable to agree who is the better QB. How can anyone clearly state who is better between Luck or Griffin (or even Wilson) after one regular season? Nuts....

Apart from the trolling Colts fans on here who are regularly bashing Luck, both sets of fans are extremely happy with the choice their team made. The End.

Agree.  Everyone has (and is entitled to) their own opinions.  Few minds are ever changed in these never-ending discussions.

My Philosophy: 

538422_437595216312190_1420524236_n.png

I bet they don't have their fellow skins fans bashing their qb like we do at least. I'm glad we got Luck, don't regret it at all. Glad they're happy with rg3. I don't mind their fans on here. Cause once its all said in done its all opinions. And opinions are like .... Everyone has one ;)

Way to early to say who is better, what we do know is this

RGIII has by far the better completion percentage

Luck has by far more passing yards and attempts

Luck attempts more passes down field if SI.com is to be believed (They still have not added in the numbers for week 16)

If SI is to be believed Griffin has tried 39 passes of 21 or more yards down field, He has completed 15 of them (38.4 completion percentage)

Luck has attempted 89 attempts down field completing 26 of them (29.2 percent) Inarguably Griffin has been better completion percentage wise downfield. But inarguably Luck has had to put more on his shoulders, Is Griffin better or is Luck?

Thats always going to be a debate there is no right answer because so many people have different ideas of why one is better then the other, Personally I love watching them both and dont care which one is better then the other as long as my QB gets the job done which he has and then some

I do know 1 thing for sure, One head coach and one offensive coordinator has adapted there offense around there QB's strengths and ability and the other O Coordinator could care less what there QB's strengths are

As a Colts fan I would tend to side with Luck but mostly because I am a Colts fan. One can never argue that both are fantastic QB's.  But from all of the years I have been watching football, QB's with similar styles of play as RG III get beat up a lot and have relatively short careers. That being said I would rather have a QB like Luck any day. 

As a Colts fan I would tend to side with Luck but mostly because I am a Colts fan. One can never argue that both are fantastic QB's.  But from all of the years I have been watching football, QB's with similar styles of play as RG III get beat up a lot and have relatively short careers. That being said I would rather have a QB like Luck any day. 

I get the "scramblers get beat up a lot" thing... but whose career was notably shortened by running around a little bit more?  Amongst the GOOD quarterbacks with wheels (guys who actually have staying power) most of them haven't had terribly short careers.  Cunningham made it 16 years, McNabb made it 13 years (with terrible work ethic), Young got to 15, Aikman to 12, Vick is at 10 and that's in spite of the jailtime, Staubach was almost as old as Weeden as a rookie and still hit 11 years, Tarkenton played a whopping 18 years, McNair was one of the most punished QBs I can remember and he played 13 seasons, Elway made it 16 years...

These guys take more lumps along the way perhaps but it takes a real freak injury to end the career of a great player prematurely, particularly at the QB position where guys have more room to evolve their game than, say, positions like RB and CB that are more dependent on pure athleticism.

I get the "scramblers get beat up a lot" thing... but whose career was notably shortened by running around a little bit more?  Amongst the GOOD quarterbacks with wheels (guys who actually have staying power) most of them haven't had terribly short careers.  Cunningham made it 16 years, McNabb made it 13 years (with terrible work ethic), Young got to 15, Aikman to 12, Vick is at 10 and that's in spite of the jailtime, Staubach was almost as old as Weeden as a rookie and still hit 11 years, Tarkenton played a whopping 18 years, McNair was one of the most punished QBs I can remember and he played 13 seasons, Elway made it 16 years...

These guys take more lumps along the way perhaps but it takes a real freak injury to end the career of a great player prematurely, particularly at the QB position where guys have more room to evolve their game than, say, positions like RB and CB that are more dependent on pure athleticism.

I'll give it a go...  

Joe Montana  ...   was beat up good...    broke his back, multiple concussions, .........       

Steve Young...   MANY concussions.    From running way too much.  Ended his career

Dante Culpepper...  ripped his knee up and was never the same.

Mike Vick....           What has he done lately?   It is close to over.

Steve McNair...      Great early when he could run...    horrible late when he could not.  Took a lot of punishment.

Troy Aikman..       not a running QB but concussions / BigHits ended his career.

Mc Nabb   .....       a career of injuries finally caught up to him.  Ended early.

Jim McMahon...          Beat to death....    year after year.

The NFL is a tough game.      Just this morning on ESPN radio Chris Mortenson said ... and I quote "had Wilson or RG3 played behind the Indy OL this season they would be on IR going into this wildcard weekend."

He stated Luck has been hit 116 times this season, leading the league?.  Or something of the sort....  Personally I think the number is way higher.    But at any rate..   Just way too many.

This is the thing....    A QB has to be in the game....    You can't be a part timer.     And I personally think that is the EXACT reason Shanny drafted Cousins....  

RG3 has got to prove he can stay in the game.   He is not off to a great start....

Griffin is a tough cookie, so I think he'll have longevity, but splattered with missing time, like this year. It goes with the territory.

RG3 had 120 attempts in 15 games. 

Elway averaged about 50

Cuningham played 16 years and had 6 over 65

Aikman reached 40 only once 

McNabb stopped running after his 5th year.

Steve Young about half the attempts

Staubach and Tarkington were ran maybe 40 - 50 times a year.

Luck compares to some of these guys more so than RG3 does. None of these guys ever came close to running the ball 120 times in a year. Plus he takes hits with the option and late play action stuff he does. The only guy I can think of that ran the ball over 100 times was Bobby Douglas and he was a tank that couldn't throw a ball in the ocean.

Also Culpepper was a terrible QB.  I've never seen a WR make a QB quite like what Randy Moss did with Daunte.

heh....Randall Cunningham was laying marble tile the year before he came back and won league MVP throwing to Moss and Carter. ((if memory serves))

You kinda missed the point, Dee.

Also Culpepper was a terrible QB.  I've never seen a WR make a QB quite like what Randy Moss did with Daunte.

2004 Culpeppers best year, Moss vaught 13 TD's playing in 13 games but Culpepper through 39 TD's that year but Moss only had 767 of his 4717 yards passing, I think its fair to say Culpepper was not terrible, Injuries caught up wit him

RG3 walked on a team ready for him.  our offensive line right now is terrible.  and as much as luck got pounded this year, he finished every game unlike RG3 who dident finish 2 games and missed a 3rd whole game.  stat wise it looks like rg3 is better, but big picture wise luck had more asked of him in this rebuilding team, lets not forget luck won 9 more games then last years colts.  after a few seasons lets look at this comparison.  till then lets just enjoy these two great QBs

Luck leads us to 9 points against an aging Ravens D.  RG leads the Skins to TD drives on the first 2 possessions against the #1 D in the nfl.

yeah, cause he has the better team. the better D, the better run game. the better play calling, the better oc that uses his skills. shall I go on. oh doesnt hurt that their at HOME!! seriously, how old are you?

yeah, cause he has the better team. the better D, the better run game. the better play calling, the better oc that uses his skills. shall I go on. oh doesnt hurt that their at HOME!! seriously, how old are you?

make some more excuses.   Luck has his advantages too.  After all, he was the most prepared QB since Elway coming out of college.  I actually thought this was the ROY debate for what it's worth.

make some more excuses.   Luck has his advantages too.  After all, he was the most prepared QB since Elway coming out of college.  I actually thought this was the ROY debate for what it's worth.

no, its just theres a thing called reality. and then theres your opinion.

Luck leads us to 9 points against an aging Ravens D.  RG leads the Skins to TD drives on the first 2 possessions against the #1 D in the nfl.

Don't just....don't.

I'm growing tired of people pretending these two are in a 1 vs 1 competition. Griffin is playing at home with a solid O-line, a sharp run game and I believe his coordinator is not in the hospital puking his guts out. 

It's worth very little, like your reasoning.

What are they?

A superior receiving corps starters.  A better D..look at the stats.  He had Harbaugh as his college coach to prepare him..who did Rg have?  

Are Shanahans better than Pagano/Arians?  I'm tired of people thinking the Colts are just Andrew Luck and a bunch of scrubs playing.  We have a good team too.

Where exactly do you draw the line between explanations and excuses? None of those things sound like excuses to me.

An excuse would be, "Luck throws dangerous passes when he's getting tackled because he feels like he's forced because our o-line is somewhere between no good and worthless." While that last part might be true, it's still excuse b/c it's well known that you shouldn't force dangerous passes and it's Luck's fault when he decides to do it. However, what NewEra said are legitimate reasons.

It's the same reasons the Patriots slaughtered the Colts early in the last decade. The Patriots were better coached, had a better defense, and were a much more complete team. We had a flashy offense, a great QB, and Freeney/Mathis. That's it.

RG3 had the more talented team and the better  Oline by a pretty decent margin at the start and I seem to remember we pretty much all knew that . With this line RG3 might be on crutches for this weeks game. If RG3 wins rookie of the year who cares? Most the rookies of the year didn't exactly light up Canton. a lot of the greatest players ever never sniffed rookie of the year. It's going to take many years to determine the pecking order of this years QB's.

A superior receiving corps starters.  A better D..look at the stats.  He had Harbaugh as his college coach to prepare him..who did Rg have?  

Are Shanahans better than Pagano/Arians?  I'm tired of people thinking the Colts are just Andrew Luck and a bunch of scrubs playing.  We have a good team too.

I'll give you he has better receivers.

The Colts give up 24.2 points and the 'Skins give up 24.4.

What does college have to do with the NFL?

Are you telling me is a 2x SB champion HC is worse than a first time HC who has coached in 5 games?

2004 Culpeppers best year, Moss vaught 13 TD's playing in 13 games but Culpepper through 39 TD's that year but Moss only had 767 of his 4717 yards passing, I think its fair to say Culpepper was not terrible, Injuries caught up wit him

And I just butchered the english language which I am fluent in  :thmup:  ;)  :goodluck: