Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team Phrases I hate the most...

bap1331

I hate it when the media (or ex players) say that the NFL and MLB are better off when the Cowboys and Yankees are in the hunt.  Why can't we (small market teams) enjoy our success without stuff like that being said?  If they only want big market teams with big market dollars, they should have never let the rest of us in the league. When we compete and win, we don't need the gurus to say that's a bad thing.  It's all about ratings and money, I suppose.

I hate it when the media (or ex players) say that the NFL and MLB are better off when the Cowboys and Yankees are in the hunt.  Why can't we (small market teams) enjoy our success without stuff like that being said?  If they only want big market teams with big market dollars, they should have never let the rest of us in the league. When we compete and win, we don't need the gurus to say that's a bad thing.  It's all about ratings and money, I suppose.

Market size doesn't mean squat in the nfl

I totally agree with you on that. They always cover those big market teams even when they suck. Look at how ESPN ran the Jets into the ground. They were what, 5-8 and still talking about how good they were? If that was Jacksonville (or any other small market team) they wouldn't care at all. I hate how Dallas is "America's Team" this isn't the 1970's anymore. Even if it was, I'd still hate Dallas, it's like they push that in your face. Oh we're America's Team, we're better than you.

I totally agree with you on that. They always cover those big market teams even when they suck. Look at how ESPN ran the Jets into the ground. They were what, 5-8 and still talking about how good they were? If that was Jacksonville (or any other small market team) they wouldn't care at all. I hate how Dallas is "America's Team" this isn't the 1970's anymore. Even if it was, I'd still hate Dallas, it's like they push that in your face. Oh we're America's Team, we're better than you.

I share your disgust for "America's team", but feel compelled to point out that Dallas wasn't a big market team when the name was applied. (Frankly I have trouble considering them as such even now.) They became "America's team" because of an extraordinary stretch of success, and the annoying nationwide fan support and media adoration is entirely the result of that. The irony being that the conspiracy theories of many here aside, only the NFL has the structure to allow this to happen. One could say exactly the same thing about the Packers. And a Dallas/GB NFC championship game would have the networks dancing in the aisles. Those same cities in basketball would have execs jumping out of windows.

I think that ESPN talks about the Jets because they are a circus (and because Bristol is 50 miles away). Last year they talked about Denver just as much. Guess what they have in common? A Jr messiah who achieved his over-the-top nationwide fame playing in (wait for it) Jacksonville. Now if "he" goes to Jacksonville next year, and worse if they start winning Super Bowls, you are going to hear so much about the Jacksonville you'll want to puncture your own ear drums.

In short, the "small market paranoia" that often appears on this site is seriously overblown.

I share your disgust for "America's team", but feel compelled to point out that Dallas wasn't a big market team when the name was applied. (Frankly I have trouble considering them as such even now.) They became "America's team" because of an extraordinary stretch of success, and the annoying nationwide fan support and media adoration is entirely the result of that. The irony being that the conspiracy theories of many here aside, only the NFL has the structure to allow this to happen. One could say exactly the same thing about the Packers. And a Dallas/GB NFC championship game would have the networks dancing in the aisles. Those same cities in basketball would have execs jumping out of windows.

I think that ESPN talks about the Jets because they are a circus (and because Bristol is 50 miles away). Last year they talked about Denver just as much. Guess what they have in common? A Jr messiah who achieved his over-the-top nationwide fame playing in (wait for it) Jacksonville. Now if "he" goes to Jacksonville next year, and worse if they start winning Super Bowls, you are going to hear so much about the Jacksonville you'll want to puncture your own ear drums.

In short, the "small market paranoia" that often appears on this site is seriously overblown.

Herman Edwards said the week of the Cowboys/Redskins game.  "The league is better when Dallas is relevant."  They all say "when you wear the star on your helmet, there is more pressure on you".   The team has been middle of the pack in every conceivable statistic since their last Super Bowl almost 2 decades ago and the league is doing pretty good if you ask me.  Lots of stars, great quarterbacks, so popular they put them on Thursday night too.  Why, I ask, do they need to be relevant if we are doing fine without them?  And yes, I am implying that Goodell throw them out of the league....and into some kind of Mexican league and call it the Alamo division :)   Sorry, Mexico, I know you already have trouble with drugs but we've done a lot for you too.