Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Concerned a bit about Irsay....

cmgww

Ok, I have heard the talk on ESPN, PFT, etc. all the time about Jim being a "drunken so-and-so" or something of the like. I don't think that. He battled a painkiller addiction in the 90s, and reportedly has been clean for over 10 years. "Clean" can mean different things to different people. For EXAMPLE (emphasis), he may still have a drink now and then, but probably doesn't take pain pills anymore. But combined with recent videos of him, most notably the latest of him dancing with Pagano, as well as the picture below, makes me worry a bit. I don't think he has relapsed, nor do I think he's the drunk that his father was. That's where most of the "drunken so-and-so owner" talk comes from, people that remember his father and not Jim. But he tweeted this pic last night, and it was posted on Jim Rome's FB page. He certainly looks goofy (what's new?), but he also looks really thin. Maybe he's getting back into shape? But the past several years seem to have taken a toll on him. I don't pretend to know what it is (illness, relapse, etc.), but it does worry me as a fan. I hope he is ok, and this photo was just him being his typical eccentric self.

530300_10151219405097514_32557021_n.jpg

Ok, I have heard the talk on ESPN, PFT, etc. all the time about Jim being a "drunken *" or something of the like. I don't think that. He battled a painkiller addiction in the 90s, and reportedly has been clean for over 10 years. "Clean" can mean different things to different people. For EXAMPLE (emphasis), he may still have a drink now and then, but probably doesn't take pain pills anymore. But combined with recent videos of him, most notably the latest of him dancing with Pagano, as well as the picture below, makes me worry a bit. I don't think he has relapsed, nor do I think he's the drunk that his father was. That's where most of the "drunken * owner" talk comes from, people that remember his father and not Jim. But he tweeted this pic last night, and it was posted on Jim Rome's FB page. He certainly looks goofy (what's new?), but he also looks really thin. Maybe he's getting back into shape? But the past several years seem to have taken a toll on him. I don't pretend to know what it is (illness, relapse, etc.), but it does worry me as a fan. I hope he is ok, and this photo was just him being his typical eccentric self.

530300_10151219405097514_32557021_n.jpg

Man, he is yoked.. I didn't realize his arms were that big. They need a celebrity boxing show with nfl owners

I've never seen Irsay in a t-shirt and jeans before. Looks weird, very Favre-ish.

Anyways, he's seemed thinner over the past year, almost swimming in his suits (really noticeable in Pagano's presser last week). He also seems to be moving kind of stiff, sometimes even hunched over. Seems like he's in pain in all the time.

If there were something going on with his back, and he's trying to avoid painkillers because of his past issues, that might explain it.

Call me when the guy is up there slurring his words and stumbling around at press conferences. The guy goofing around in his lockeroom with his guys after earning a birth to the playoffs is not an indication of a guy with problems.<br /><br />He does look a bit rough there in that picture but who knows when that was taken. Heck there are a lot of pictures of me that I look stoned or drunk, but yet I am stone sober and just goofing around.

I've never seen Irsay in a t-shirt and jeans before. Looks weird, very Favre-ish.

Anyways, he's seemed thinner over the past year, almost swimming in his suits (really noticeable in Pagano's presser last week). He also seems to be moving kind of stiff, sometimes even hunched over. Seems like he's in pain in all the time.

If there were something going on with his back, and he's trying to avoid painkillers because of his past issues, that might explain it.

I hope so...but he does look in-shape, but a bit tipsy (at least in the pic). I really hope for his sake that he doesn't relapse into painkiller addiction. I am in this business on the other end (Suboxone, the medical treatment for those hooked on painkillers.....don't judge, it gives people a fighting chance against painkiller addiction)

I saw this last night. I think it's an old pic...he was tweeting about the playoffs starting and is wearing a Colts Championship hat in the pic, which can't be from this year. I can't tell what year it's from but my guess is SB or 2009.

I read elsewhere that he's having back problems again. Give the man the benefit of the doubt...he's goofy but nothing suggests he is heavily using again.

Edit: did a little research and he is wearing the SB Champ hat from 2006 season so pic prob from 2007. http://www.amazon.com/Indianapolis-Football-Official-Reebok-Locker/dp/B001G0JU18

My guess is the pic was taken in the early morning after the win back in his hotel.

I noticed that after I watched the locker room video after the texans game.  That Jim looked hunched over, or in pain maybe?  If it is back issues, I know how that can affect posture, etc.  Plus if he is in alot of pain, that would explain  his stiffness and all.  I pray that he is ok.  We need him to stick around to help hoist those Lombardis !!!

^this

but there is no way the hunched over, in considerable pain, noticeably overweight and dancing with pags - was this guy. Was this a PS head on a a trainers body?

On a serious note. Irsay looks like hes in a lot of pain. Chuck practically killed him doing that dance.

Hope he is ok.

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed just how frail he has looked here lately. I have never seen any other threads about it and thought maybe I was just imagining it. He is not very old(only 53), but lately, he looks like he has aged 20 yrs. since last yr.. I didn't know if I had missed something about his health and was googling it a few days ago, but couldn't find anything. I hope he's ok but man, he looks bad here lately.

I don't care how the man dresses, he's a billionaire he can dress like a Power Ranger and I would be fine with it. It's his face that is troubling to me. He looks like he is in pain, or not mentally in Indiana or Earth for that matter. But hey it was a coherent tweet (for Jim), and I have the same hat! Where do you get a pair of jeans and shirt like that any way? It kind of looks like a High School Prom DJ.

Losing Manning for the year last year coupled with having to part ways with the cash cow can make anyone look older... did it to me...

In all seriousness... I hope all is well with the boss... my bro has back problems and has had probs with the pills... the surgery he needs (my bro) to fix his back carries a risk of paralysis, so he just guts it out despite the pain, but he does move stiffly like Irsay and he is only in his 30s, so maybe this explains some of what we are seeing.. I don't really want to speculate any further, though, out of respect... he could just be changing mattresses for all I know

I have made no secret of my uncomfortable factor regarding Irsay's frequent activity on Twitter. But, putting all that aside, I do respect him as the owner of the Indianapolis Colts & I do admire the bond he continues to maintain with the fans. He is incredibly loyal & he is not afraid to spend money to bring in the players & coaching personnel to win. 

Regarding personal health issues, I am no medical doctor & I hope that Mr. Irsay is fine. To me, this is an issue of privacy & confidentiality & I have nothing to say beyond that on this topic. 

His biceps are pretty big. Wouldn't be surprised if he's getting back into shape. I love his personality personally; I agree with OP-- I HATE all the negativity and comments directed at Jim by people who "don't know". Hopefully he can take this picture again on February 4 with a nice new hat!

I have made no secret of my uncomfortable factor regarding Irsay's frequent activity on Twitter. But, putting all that aside, I do respect him as the owner of the Indianapolis Colts & I do admire the bond he continues to maintain with the fans. He is incredibly loyal & he is not afraid to spend money to bring in the players & coaching personnel to win.

Regarding personal health issues, I am no medical doctor & I hope that Mr. Irsay is fine. To me, this is an issue of privacy & confidentiality & I have nothing to say beyond that on this topic.

This times 10x thousand.

Give the guy some privacy. Irsay is an amazing owner who successfully beat a terrible issue with alcohol thanks to Tony Dungy and help from friends and family. He deserves a lot of credit not just as an NFL owner, but as a human being as well.

After suffering from a bad hip for many years my 70 something Dad did the replacement.

During a visit with him 3 weeks after the surgery I asked about the pain and he happily told me there wasn`t any.

Then he shared the bad news that because of how much pain he had endured from his "bad hip", he had no idea how much his other hip hurt.

Dad relied on his good leg so much because his bad hip leg had become very weak over the years, he was afraid to do the other hip. He got himself around for several more years with canes or a walker. A tough old fart.

He spent a year and a half in Stalag 19 after jumping out of his flaming B-17 that was Schweinfurt bound. Yip, a tough Man.

I hope Mr. Irsay gets relief from what ails him. I like the Soul of the Man that he has become.

I saw this last night. I think it's an old pic...he was tweeting about the playoffs starting and is wearing a Colts Championship hat in the pic, which can't be from this year. I can't tell what year it's from but my guess is SB or 2009.

I read elsewhere that he's having back problems again. Give the man the benefit of the doubt...he's goofy but nothing suggests he is heavily using again.

Edit: did a little research and he is wearing the SB Champ hat from 2006 season so pic prob from 2007. http://www.amazon.com/Indianapolis-Football-Official-Reebok-Locker/dp/B001G0JU18

My guess is the pic was taken in the early morning after the win back in his hotel.

Never seen a hotel with pics like that on the wall. 

Hope surgery goes ok and he can manage the pain without relapsing.