Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Premature Mock Draft

Okafor looks more like a DE in a 4-3. Don`t see him at all as a hybrid OLB.

Our ends need to be near 300lbs as run stuffers I believe.

Our #1 in order

Dion Jordan looks like a good fit. Can pass rush and play cover OLB.

Xavier Rhodes at CB right there too.

Think Eric Fisher OT Barret Jones C/G would Grade for this pick.

Rd#3

Bailey looks pretty good, sounds like he needs better footwork.

Have doubts he would push to be a starter right off.

More likely take a good RT prospect here with starter potential if available.

Then:

a press corner

OLB with rush ability

ILB with size & SPEED - poor Angerer looks like he is running in sand in pass coverage.

RB

Rd #4 what we didn`t get in rd. 3

Love the draft. Expect us to spend TOP $$$ (10M)for One FA. GOOD $$$ (4-6M)on ONE maybe two more.

Mine:

1) Matt Elam, S, Florida

3) JAmie Collins, OLB, So. Mississippi

4) Hugh Thornton, OG, Illinois

6) Cory Grissom, DL, So. Florida

7) I believe this went to STL for Josh Gordy...

It's going to be a very hard year to predict the draft for two reasons.  1) The Colts will be very active in FA b/c of all that cap space, so we have to guess which needs they'll fill in FA and which in the draft.  2) We don't know Grigson or the needs of the 3-4 system all that well yet.  It's not like the Polian days when we knew what type of players he picked at each position, and where in the draft he liked to get those positions...

1) OLB Alex Okafor, Texas

3) OG/OT Alvin Bailey, Arkansas

4) DT/DE Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern(my secret gem in draft, he won't be a secret after the Senior bowl though)

6) CB Nigel Malone, Kansas State

7) S DJ Swearringer, South Carolina

I saw Swearringer (spell check) the other day......I am thinking he may have improved his stock from 7.  I like your picks though!  :)  He is faster than I thought and can hit ya. :trout: !!!  His closing rate is exceptional.

Mine:

1) Matt Elam, S, Florida

It's going to be a very hard year to predict the draft for two reasons.  1) The Colts will be very active in FA b/c of all that cap space, so we have to guess which needs they'll fill in FA and which in the draft.  2) We don't know Grigson or the needs of the 3-4 system all that well yet.  It's not like the Polian days when we knew what type of players he picked at each position, and where in the draft he liked to get those positions...

I'm also thinking Collins would be a good move in the 3rd.

Okafor looks more like a DE in a 4-3. Don`t see him at all as a hybrid OLB.

Our ends need to be near 300lbs as run stuffers I believe.

Our #1 in order

Dion Jordan looks like a good fit. Can pass rush and play cover OLB.

Xavier Rhodes at CB right there too.

Think Eric Fisher OT Barret Jones C/G would Grade for this pick.

Rd#3

Bailey looks pretty good, sounds like he needs better footwork.

Have doubts he would push to be a starter right off.

More likely take a good RT prospect here with starter potential if available.

Then:

a press corner

OLB with rush ability

ILB with size & SPEED - poor Angerer looks like he is running in sand in pass coverage.

RB

Rd #4 what we didn`t get in rd. 3

Love the draft. Expect us to spend TOP $$$ (10M)for One FA. GOOD $$$ (4-6M)on ONE maybe two more.

I have Okafor replacing Freeney as the primary pass rusher and Okafor sets the edge in the run game with the best of them which is something Freeney simply fails to do more often then not

1) OLB Alex Okafor, Texas

3) OG/OT Alvin Bailey, Arkansas

4) DT/DE Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern(my secret gem in draft, he won't be a secret after the Senior bowl though)

6) CB Nigel Malone, Kansas State

7) S DJ Swearringer, South Carolina

Love your draft just some notes, like the main consensous i believe Alex Okafor is not really fit for our scheme but i absaloetly love the Brandon Williams pick!! And in the thrid we'll keep our fingers crossed that worfords there when we are picking.

Okafor has been playing in the hybrid OLB position at Texas and he even played MLB some his sophomore year a really versitle defender and can do it all. I don't see how people would say he doesn't fit our scheme. If you watched Okafor play he plays just like a Terrell Suggs type OLB and the same build. Great use of hands and plays the run really well

What do you guys think the odds of us trading out of the first round for either two second rounders or a second and another third rounder? I mean, because we are in the high twenty's(GO COLTS!!!!!!) anyway. And it seems the people that we all like on here, e.g. Okafor, Barrett Jones,and possibly Xavier Rhodes might still be available in the early second. Also, the Stanford linebacker duo of OLB Chase Thomas and MLB Shayne Skov would be attainable in this 'Trade down' scenario. Either way, F/A is going to be full of good Offensive Lineman and Pash Rushers. Can't say the same for Corners and Safeties. So i would say, more than not, we'll go for Secondary through the Draft.

What do you guys think the odds of us trading out of the first round for either two second rounders or a second and another third rounder? I mean, because we are in the high twenty's(GO COLTS!!!!!!)

My feeling is trading down is more likely than trading up.

Maybe if there's a QB on the board a team wants and the Colts feel they can get as good a player in the 40s as they can the late 20s, I could see it.

If there's a player the Colts covet on the board when they pick, I think they stand pat and take them though.

What do you guys think the odds of us trading out of the first round for either two second rounders or a second and another third rounder? I mean, because we are in the high twenty's(GO COLTS!!!!!!) anyway. And it seems the people that we all like on here, e.g. Okafor, Barrett Jones,and possibly Xavier Rhodes might still be available in the early second. Also, the Stanford linebacker duo of OLB Chase Thomas and MLB Shayne Skov would be attainable in this 'Trade down' scenario. Either way, F/A is going to be full of good Offensive Lineman and Pash Rushers. Can't say the same for Corners and Safeties. So i would say, more than not, we'll go for Secondary through the Draft.

My feeling is trading down is more likely than trading up.

Maybe if there's a QB on the board a team wants and the Colts feel they can get as good a player in the 40s as they can the late 20s, I could see it.

If there's a player the Colts covet on the board when they pick, I think they stand pat and take them though.

I agree with you guys, especially this year, when there are still multiple positions which need to be filled.  The issue of course is who the Colts rank as their priority.  Me, I want OL, and if they go RT or G, trading down actually works perfectly (for those positions).  Others will say S, CB, OLB/DE, I'm sure, and if the Colts agree, I think they stay, as the value at 25 for those positions won't be there later. 

For the Elam fans, and Okafor fans, I don't disagree about the talent, their skills, but the Colts have Zibs and Bethea under contract, and Hughes and Mathis as well, and I think that will trump those positions when there are so many other holes to fill.  The Colts aren't in a position to draft depth yet - there will be literally no RT on the roster when the season ends.  And the guards are terrible and journeymen free agents too.  And DL has three FAs.  Avery is a FA.  And the CB list is long too, and up and down talent-wise regardless.  I would take Elam over Zibs any day, but I think that's a luxury the Colts can't take. 

I have Okafor replacing Freeney as the primary pass rusher and Okafor sets the edge in the run game with the best of them which is something Freeney simply fails to do more often then not

Hey Htown,

Upon further review... your ruling on the draft pick stands. Okafor would be plenty good enough for our Colts. x 10 if he can make some tackles against the run. (Plug the Freeney hole/gap/thoroughfare)

I agree with you guys, especially this year, when there are still multiple positions which need to be filled.  The issue of course is who the Colts rank as their priority.  Me, I want OL, and if they go RT or G, trading down actually works perfectly (for those positions).  Others will say S, CB, OLB/DE, I'm sure, and if the Colts agree, I think they stay, as the value at 25 for those positions won't be there later. 

For the Elam fans, and Okafor fans, I don't disagree about the talent, their skills, but the Colts have Zibs and Bethea under contract, and Hughes and Mathis as well, and I think that will trump those positions when there are so many other holes to fill.  The Colts aren't in a position to draft depth yet - there will be literally no RT on the roster when the season ends.  And the guards are terrible and journeymen free agents too.  And DL has three FAs.  Avery is a FA.  And the CB list is long too, and up and down talent-wise regardless.  I would take Elam over Zibs any day, but I think that's a luxury the Colts can't take. 

Zibikowski and Hughes don't make enough to where that is relevant. Colts have to find freeney's replacement sooner rather than later

Zibikowski and Hughes don't make enough to where that is relevant. Colts have to find freeney's replacement sooner rather than later

Hughes needs to develop more strength but in time I think he could fit in Freeneys role, As of now I think he fits Mathis role pretty good when he is out there

I think Travis Frederick will be shooting some up draft boards and maybe Ricky Wagner, also Montee Ball I still think has potential to be the best running back in this upcoming draft class.

I think Frederick and Wagner go 2nd round, but certainly no lower than 3rd R.

I was at the Rose Bowl.   First time to see Ball in person.   Then, have watched some of the re-broadcast.   He's a beautiful runner to watch.    I really quickly developed a man-crush on him.    I think he starts in the NFL.    I think Stepfan Taylor is a quality NFL back-up.   Don't think he's a starter,  and he plays for my Stanford team.    But Ball I think has the goods.

Solid 2nd round pick to me.    Love him.

Zib is pretty bad out there. Getting him out of the lineup and replaced with a Top Talent is VERY Important ASAP.

And our pass rush is WEAK. Having Freeney is not a luxury but a Liability. We are in desperate need of a good rusher.

This draft may be deep enough that we will want to use next years #1 to get into the Very early 2nd rd.

Mine:

1) Matt Elam, S, Florida

The 7th rounder to STL is a 2014 pick.