Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coltsguy510's Colts Mock Draft

1. OG Jonathan Cooper or OT Jake Matthews

3. CB Jordan Poyer or OLB Brandon Jenkins

4. S Bacarri Rambo

5. OT Chris Faulk or (Depending on who we pick first) OG Travis Bond

6. WR Dan Buckner

6. DE Baker Steinkuhler

No way Matthews lasts into the 20's. If he declares, he's top 15, and at the latest top 20. Poyer won't last into the 3rd. Probably early 2nd to mid 2nd rounder. Jenkins is a good pick. Rambo, well, he's got issues so the Bengals would probably pick him up before us. Faulk is overrated as mod edit. Bond, don't know too much about him. Buckner and Steinkuhler are good picks. Overall, not bad. Switch Barrett Hones in for Cooper, and it improves considerably.

Edited by shecolt
masked profanity

McShay has Poyer rated as a 3rd round pick during their bowl game vs. Texas. Corners are always tricky to peg a draft position on. Names like Chase Minnifield, Leonard Johnson, and Alfonso Dennard were tossed around this forum as 1st and 2nd round guys last year.

That's because in the cases of Minnifield and Dennard, both had a something come up before the draft that killed their stock. Minnifield had a knee injury and Dennard had some off the field issues. Johnson was always pegged as a mid 2nd round guy, and he went in the early third. 

As for Poyer, many are projecting that he goes in the 2nd round, which is about right. He's very solid. Of course he could slide because of a combine or off the field issue, but right now, he's being pegged as a 2nd round guy, so based on that, it seems unlikely that he falls to the late 3rd round. 

No way Matthews lasts into the 20's. If he declares, he's top 15, and at the latest top 20. Poyer won't last into the 3rd. Probably early 2nd to mid 2nd rounder. Jenkins is a good pick. Rambo, well, he's got issues so the Bengals would probably pick him up before us. Faulk is overrated as f*ck. Bond, don't know too much about him. Buckner and Steinkuhler are good picks. Overall, not bad. Switch Barrett Hones in for Cooper, and it improves considerably.
Cooper is better than Jones. Straight up, just better.

I like it except I would go for Barrett Jones in the 1st and Joe Vallano in the 4th maybe 5th but seriously doubt he lasts into the late 5th

If Cooper is there, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Jones. Jones isn't a 1st round guy, maybe a mid-to late 2nd rounder like Konz. 

Hold on a minute....

As of now, today, January 2nd,  Jake Matthews had made NO STATEMENT about returning to school.

All there is a media report citing an un-named source close to the family saying they'd be surprised if Jake turned pro.  That's it.    That's all.

Nothing from the player.   Nothing from the family.   Nothing from the school.    And this one media report has not even been picked up widely yet.

So,  it may be true.   It may be accurate.    Maybe.    But not yet.    Not as of today, at least.

http://fansided.com/2013/01/02/report-texas-am-ot-jake-matthews-will-return-for-senior-season/

If Cooper is there, I'd take him in a heartbeat over Jones. Jones isn't a 1st round guy, maybe a mid-to late 2nd rounder like Konz. 

There is talk on some mock drafts and scouting sites that Jones would fit a primarily Zone scheme better, I think he is a very technically sound O Lineman who could play several O Line positions, I also think a couple guys will climb up the draft boards some more (Ricky Wagner and Travis Frederick). I'd snatch Frederick up in a heartbeat

I personally feel Indy will hit the OL hard in FA.     And sign our own back. 

And address the D in the draft.    DE/OLB with 1st..    and Poyer would be lovely in the 3rd.    although CB play of late has been decent.    I have seen Poyer going around late 2nd to 3rd in most mocks.  A couple in the late 1st.

Boy Alex Ogletree would look good in a Colt uni....     

I have seen E Ansah DE BYU projected to the Colts in several...   NOOOOOO  "project, with superstar potential" ....  YIKES

Indy needs to NAIL this pick.

On a side note   TAM may have 3 players going in the top 5...     No wonder they were so good.

Cooper is better than Jones. Straight up, just better.

In what way? Jones is as good as him in every category (except maybe footwork and quickness) as well as Jones is straight up bigger, stronger, and more versatile (he can play all 3 positions at a high level). Also, Jones brings the leadership (former Eagle Scout) and intelligence (Accounting Major). Cooper can't touch that. 

I disagree. Like I said to Coltsguy, and I quote:

"Jones is as good as him in every category (except maybe footwork and quickness) as well as Jones is straight up bigger, stronger, and more versatile (he can play all 3 positions at a high level). Also, Jones brings the leadership (former Eagle Scout) and intelligence (Accounting Major). Cooper can't touch that. "

I would also do:

1. OLB Sam Montgomery or OLB Ezekial Ansah

3. OG Larry Warford

4. S Bacarri Rambo

5. CB Tharold Simon

6. WR Dan Buckner

6. DE Baker Steinkuhler

No way would I even look at Montgomery. Plainly put, he sucks. Ansah is a project, and I'd really prefer not to risk a high pick on a guy like him, considering the position we're in right now, where is need more "surefire" picks. Warford isn't a bad selection. He's a road grader and, from what's I've seen, is decent pass blocker. Rambo won't make it into the 4th (unless he falls like Denard did this year). Love the Simon pick. He's got Sherman like potential. Buckner is, like always, a good pick. And Steinkuhler, well, simply put, he's stout defender but he's not a difference maker.

No way would I even look at Montgomery. Plainly put, he sucks. Ansah is a project, and I'd really prefer not to risk a high pick on a guy like him, considering the position we're in right now, where is need more "surefire" picks. Warford isn't a bad selection. He's a road grader and, from what's I've seen, is decent pass blocker. Rambo won't make it into the 4th (unless he falls like Denard did this year). Love the Simon pick. He's got Sherman like potential. Buckner is, like always, a good pick. And Steinkuhler, well, simply put, he's stout defender but he's not a difference maker.

You are a bad evaluator. Rambo could fall to the fourth. Montgomery is a passionate player with a very strong motor. He has been much more productive than Mingo. I would love to have him. Ansah is a project, but so was Pierre-Paul and look how that turned out. You're not looking for a complete difference maker in the 6th, your looking for a player who can make a contribution and maybe start.

1.Okafor or Barrett Jones or Chance Warmack

3.Travis Frederick or Ricky Wagner or Brandon Jenkins or Devin Taylor or Joe Vellano

4.Baccari Rambo or Brandan Bishop or Margus Hunt

5.Comp pick-Kwame Geather or Aaron Dobson or Emory Blake or Dan Buckner

6.Kenny Okoro

7.Ryan Hewitt

I named so many in each round because we have to take into consideration multiple options

You are a bad evaluator. Rambo could fall to the fourth. Montgomery is a passionate player with a very strong motor. He has been much more productive than Mingo. I would love to have him. Ansah is a project, but so was Pierre-Paul and look how that turned out. You're not looking for a complete difference maker in the 6th, your looking for a player who can make a contribution and maybe start.

I agree with much of what you said except JPP was hardly a project he put up really good numbers at a couple very small colleges if this is accurate, he was hardly a project it sounds like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Pierre-Paul#College_career

I disagree. Like I said to Coltsguy, and I quote:

"Jones is as good as him in every category (except maybe footwork and quickness) as well as Jones is straight up bigger, stronger, and more versatile (he can play all 3 positions at a high level). Also, Jones brings the leadership (former Eagle Scout) and intelligence (Accounting Major). Cooper can't touch that. "

Bigger? that's questionable. Stronger? We'll see at the combine, but both have gone up against some tough DTs. Footwork goes to Cooper. Quickness goes to Cooper. Experience is a tie. Versatility goes to Jones. That's great he can play 3 positions, but he'll be playing one in the NFL. Im not drafting him because he can play 3 places. The Colts need a guard and Cooper is a guard. Jones plays center. Cooper, not smart? He has a 3.something gpa, so he ain't no pushover. I know Jones has a perfect gpa, but just because you're book smart doesn't mean you're a smart football player. 

Cooper is the consensus pick by all the experts, and in my opinion (I've watched 17 games of just Cooper, and 13 of just Jones), Cooper has impressed me more, just my opinion.

He may be passionate, but look at his skill set as a pass rusher. All he ever does is bull rush the OT. It either works or it doesn't. He doesn't try to use his quickness (seems to lack it) and insists on using his bull rush. Against weaker OT's, it works. Against more skilled, and stronger OT's, it doesn't (see Montgomery vs Joeckel in LSU-TAM). Needs to add more moves. His strength coach complained about his work ethic (makes me kind of nervous). I'll agree on that Montogomery's stats are better than Mingo's, but Mingo brings the quickness that Montgomery lacks.

JPP had production is college. Ansah, not so much. Could he be great? In the right system. But that reasoning could also be used by selecting Margus Hunt in the 1st round. Is his production 1st round caliber? No. But he could be the next JJ Watt. See what I mean? It's a logical fallacy to suggest that because JPP selection turned out well, Ansah will consequently be the same. 

As far as Rambo goes, his suspension is the beginning of the year could cause his stock to fall like Burfict's did this year, but seems unlikely. I'm not saying it's not gonna happen. Just, it seems rather unlikely. If he's there is the 4th round, would be a great selection. But from where it stands right now, he a 3rd round talent. 

1.Okafor or Barrett Jones or Chance Warmack

3.Travis Frederick or Ricky Wagner or Brandon Jenkins or Devin Taylor or Joe Vellano

4.Baccari Rambo or Brandan Bishop or Margus Hunt

5.Comp pick-Kwame Geather or Aaron Dobson or Emory Blake or Dan Buckner

6.Kenny Okoro

7.Ryan Hewitt

I named so many in each round because we have to take into consideration multiple options

1. Warmack (if he's there), if not, Barrett Jones

3. Brandon Jenkins (if he's there), if not, Chase Thomas

4. Margus Hunt (if he's there), if not, Baccari Rambo (if he's there), if not, Bishop

5. Dan Buckner (if he's there), if not, Aaron Dobson

6. Kenny Okoro

7. Ryan Hewitt (do we really need a fullback?)

4. Margus Hunt (if he's there), if not, Baccari Rambo (if he's there), if not, Bishop

6. Kenny Okoro

To number 4, what about if I throw Vellano in there, I really like him lol even more then Hunt althugh I like Hunt, Also we may not need a FB, I dont remember how long Hughes is signed but I am absolutely tired of seeing Allen at FB

Bigger? that's questionable. Stronger? We'll see at the combine, but both have gone up against some tough DTs. Footwork goes to Cooper. Quickness goes to Cooper. Experience is a tie. Versatility goes to Jones. That's great he can play 3 positions, but he'll be playing one in the NFL. Im not drafting him because he can play 3 places. The Colts need a guard and Cooper is a guard. Jones plays center. Cooper, not smart? He has a 3.something gpa, so he ain't no pushover. I know Jones has a perfect gpa, but just because you're book smart doesn't mean you're a smart football player. 

Cooper is the consensus pick by all the experts, and in my opinion (I've watched 17 games of just Cooper, and 13 of just Jones), Cooper has impressed me more, just my opinion.

According to Walter Football

Jones--- 6'5, 311 

Cooper--- 6'3, 295 (Cooper seems to be undersized, but we'll see at the Combine.)

Our OL is in need of desperate versatility. Looking at what kind of OL we have and what kind of versatility they bring, it's honestly depressing. We have Link playing OT and Olsen playing OG. That's depressing. Jones is not only an upgrade, but he's a plug and play type of guy, who also has a high ceiling (He could put more weight and add more strength), not to mention his floor is higher than Cooper's. He does everything as good as Cooper. He's as good a pass blocker as he is a run blocker. Is he Warmack? No. Do we need a Warmack? Not really. Our offense is more oriented towards passing, hence we get a player who is a good pass blocker, who can become outstanding at it. Also did I mention he's the most versatile OL in recent years? Cooper may have better footwork, but no one can match Jones's versatility to go with his outstanding intellect and leadership (Eagle Scout, and Accounting Major). 

If they ever were going to give a Heisman to any offensive lineman then Barrett Jones would have to be in the conversation .. Although its not a career award , I dare you to find a better lineman that is more decorated with all the championships .. All American at multiple positions ,Rimington award for nations top center , won the academic Heisman , won the Outland trophy at left tackle for the nations best lineman . Also won the Wuerffel award and possibly starter on three National championship teams.

Does Cooper make call at the line of scrimmage? No. Does he set protections? No. Does he call the blocking schemes? No. Is he the team captain? No. 

To number 4, what about if I throw Vellano in there, I really like him lol even more then Hunt althugh I like Hunt, Also we may not need a FB, I dont remember how long Hughes is signed but I am absolutely tired of seeing Allen at FB

Honestly, by the time R4 comes along, sometimes you gotta take a shot. Vellano looks like a tweener in the NFL. Hunt, however, CAN (emphasis on can) become a player like JJ (s)Watt. 

Honestly, by the time R4 comes along, sometimes you gotta take a shot. Vellano looks like a tweener in the NFL. Hunt, however, CAN (emphasis on can) become a player like JJ (s)Watt. 

true, Honestly by the time we pick in the late 4th I doubt either will be there anyway really

According to Walter Football

Jones--- 6'5, 311 

Cooper--- 6'3, 295 (Cooper seems to be undersized, but we'll see at the Combine.)

Our OL is in need of desperate versatility. Looking at what kind of OL we have and what kind of versatility they bring, it's honestly depressing. We have Link playing OT and Olsen playing OG. That's depressing. Jones is not only an upgrade, but he's a plug and play type of guy, who also has a high ceiling (He could put more weight and add more strength), not to mention his floor is higher than Cooper's. He does everything as good as Cooper. He's as good a pass blocker as he is a run blocker. Is he Warmack? No. Do we need a Warmack? Not really. Our offense is more oriented towards passing, hence we get a player who is a good pass blocker, who can become outstanding at it. Also did I mention he's the most versatile OL in recent years? Cooper may have better footwork, but no one can match Jones's versatility to go with his outstanding intellect and leadership (Eagle Scout, and Accounting Major). 

If they ever were going to give a Heisman to any offensive lineman then Barrett Jones would have to be in the conversation .. Although its not a career award , I dare you to find a better lineman that is more decorated with all the championships .. All American at multiple positions ,Rimington award for nations top center , won the academic Heisman , won the Outland trophy at left tackle for the nations best lineman . Also won the Wuerffel award and possibly starter on three National championship teams.

Does Cooper make call at the line of scrimmage? No. Does he set protections? No. Does he call the blocking schemes? No. Is he the team captain? No. 

Alright, let me start out by saying that most of the stuff you just said is opinionated. Don't talk about Heisman for O-lineman, because that's irrelevant. Stop talking about his play at left tackle, and even at guard, because this guy played center this last year, and tackle the year. The Colts would draft him as a center. 

You ask if Cooper makes calls at the line? Does he have to in the NFL? He's a guard, and guards rarely make the calls. If Jones were playing for the Colts, he would have to play as a guard, and be in a situation where he'd make NO calls. I want a guy that can do his job. If he can play at high level, that's good enough. He doesn't have to be a team captain, or a genius in school. 

Why does this O-line need versatilty? They just need bodies. First of all, Olsen is an OG. Link's play at guard was actually pretty good, and he seems to be a better guard. The Colts just need bodies there. They need a backup tackle, and another play to play OG. They don't need versatility. They just need players who play their natural position. I mean, they already have Mike McGlynn who can play both center and guard. They have Link, who can play two positions. They have Reitz, who has the ability to play two spots. Isn't that enough versatility as it is. I also read that Cooper can line up at center. Will they draft him for that? No, but it's good to have. You're saying that the Colts should draft Jones for his ability to play 3 positions well, and that's not what you draft a guy like him for. Cooper has been one of the best guards in the country for the last 2 years, and has not allowed more than 1 sack each season. The Colts need a guard, and he plays guard. Jones can play a lot of positions well, but he can't play guard better than Cooper, that's for sure.

The Colts need a good pass blocker? Yes, they do. So, you rather go after Jones' pass blocking skills. Cooper is just as good as Warmack in terms of pass blocking. The difference between those guys is just that Warmack is a better run blocker.  

Cooper is the better choice, in my opinion and the opinion of every expert. He's the 2nd best guard this year, and the best in most drafts.

Alright, let me start out by saying that most of the stuff you just said is opinionated. Don't talk about Heisman for O-lineman, because that's irrelevant. Stop talking about his play at left tackle, and even at guard, because this guy played center this last year, and tackle the year. The Colts would draft him as a center. 

You ask if Cooper makes calls at the line? Does he have to in the NFL? He's a guard, and guards rarely make the calls. If Jones were playing for the Colts, he would have to play as a guard, and be in a situation where he'd make NO calls. I want a guy that can do his job. If he can play at high level, that's good enough. He doesn't have to be a team captain, or a genius in school. 

Why does this O-line need versatilty? They just need bodies. First of all, Olsen is an OG. Link's play at guard was actually pretty good, and he seems to be a better guard. The Colts just need bodies there. They need a backup tackle, and another play to play OG. They don't need versatility. They just need players who play their natural position. I mean, they already have Mike McGlynn who can play both center and guard. They have Link, who can play two positions. They have Reitz, who has the ability to play two spots. Isn't that enough versatility as it is. I also read that Cooper can line up at center. Will they draft him for that? No, but it's good to have. You're saying that the Colts should draft Jones for his ability to play 3 positions well, and that's not what you draft a guy like him for. Cooper has been one of the best guards in the country for the last 2 years, and has not allowed more than 1 sack each season. The Colts need a guard, and he plays guard. Jones can play a lot of positions well, but he can't play guard better than Cooper, that's for sure.

The Colts need a good pass blocker? Yes, they do. So, you rather go after Jones' pass blocking skills. Cooper is just as good as Warmack in terms of pass blocking. The difference between those guys is just that Warmack is a better run blocker.  

Cooper is the better choice, in my opinion and the opinion of every expert. He's the 2nd best guard this year, and the best in most drafts.

Cooper is better porjected in teh NFL as a center, than he is as a guard. Reason? Cooper's too small. Unless he can add 25 pounds in the next 7 months, is won't fit very well as a guard in a man blocking scheme (this is contigent on the accuracy of ESPN's player profile page). O-line alawys needs versatility. Reason? Injuries are unpredictable. Meaning, having a guy who can switch over to any other position of the line is essentially an added benefit. You talk about McGlynn? McGlynn sucks as a guard as much as he sucks as a center. The dude is gonna be on the practice squad next year (god willing).

With Jones, you can decide where you want him to play considering OT is as much of a concern as OG is. Is Cooper a better Guard? Questionable, depends who you ask. According to Walter Football, he isn't. According to Kiper/McShay, he seems to be. So at the end of the day, it's a matter of choice and opinion. And the only opinion that counts is Grigson's. You prefer Cooper. I prefer Jones. Let's end it at that.

6. Kenny Okoro

Dobson will be a second round pick.

Got to reading this and some thoughts came to my mind, I agree with a couple of your points

1.Heisman talk for an O Lineman is irrelavent at least to this point

2.If Jones was drafted by the Colts he would be asked to play either Guard positions (Mainly do to Satele's contract certainly not his play).

This O Line needs talent and alot of it, they already have bodies but not much talent, Guys like Satele, Reitz, Mcglynn, Justice are not long term answers. If you look at what the Colts have at O Line many of them have been asked to play multiple positions, Mcglynn, Shipley, Linkenbach, Satele has played Guard before but not for the Colts. Thats a very valued trait to have, Why is versatility important? injuries happen, ya dont want to go roaming  the FA market midway through the season trying to desperately to fill a hole on the O Line with an O Lineman that has no business playing or starting. If we pass on him, i expect a team such as GB wont, also being able to play 2 spots and being able to play them well is 2 different things

How about?

1. Barrett Jones, C/G/T

3. Brandon Jenkins OLB

3. (trade back in) Chase Thomas OLB

5. Tharold Simon CB

6. (trade up higher in 6th round) Dan Buckner WR

We trade all of our compensation picks (except 5th round), and 4th rounder to move up back into the 3rd and higher into the 6th round

In FA:

1. Louis Vasquez OG (San Diego)

2. Eben Brittin OT (Jax)

3. (Note: Extremely unlikely) Jairus Byrd S (Bills)

How about?

1. Barrett Jones, C/G/T

3. Brandon Jenkins OLB

5. Tharold Simon CB

We trade all of our compensation picks (except 5th round), and 4th rounder to move up back into the 3rd and higher into the 6th round

I don't think you can trade compensatory picks. I think they're stuck where they are with who they are.

How about?

1. Barrett Jones, C/G/T

3. Brandon Jenkins OLB

5. Tharold Simon CB

In FA:

1. Louis Vasquez OG (San Diego)

2. Eben Brittin OT (Jax)

3. (Note: Extremely unlikely) Jairus Byrd S (Bills)

Switch Jones with Cooper and that's a great draft.

Yes Links play at guard was better than his play at tackle. Gawd he is a terrible tackle.

If Link makes our final roster next year that is a very bad sign. Just need bodies, that is crazy!

We sign one FA starter for the O-Line. I believe Grigson can draft a starter in rd 3. And Ijalana comes back to play guard or RT. Right now I am taking Shipley at center as the real deal.

There are several pass rushers available in FA. We get one.

So the O-Line is good, pass rush good.

In round one who is the highest graded player available on our board?

Check out Elam at Safety. The Bio I read may have been written by his agent, haha!

But I had been thinking how I would LOVE to have 3 Vontaes. This Bright, athletic kid could be it.

Wouldn`t a smart, fast playmaker Safety (our Reed) who hits and covers be a great addition? He might be the BPA!

:) there are always so many guys I wish we could get.