Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RGIII's Words to Romo at the End of the Game

Horseshoe

If all fairness, Vandy was 3-3 prior to that kick and hit a 50 yarder... It was make-able, but it was still a questionable call. 

True. I didn't think much of the decline at the time because we did pick up close to a first. Game is on Mike's shoulders. When you loook back have to wonder what if he accepted. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. I didn't think much of the decline at the time because we did pick up close to a first. Game is on Mike's shoulders. When you loook back have to wonder what if he accepted. 

Maybe win that game and then lose in the second round. Just too hard to win playoff games when you can't stop the run.

I always get a laugh out of people who invent reasons to hate.  Give credit where credit is due and don't try to justify things that can't be justified.  I don't try to invent reasons for my mostly irrational dislike of Knowshon Moreno.  Some guys you just don't want to root for because you made up your mind not to root for them.

Robert went to school at Baylor, right?...so he's probably a closet Cowboy fan (better be deep in the closet now) and Romo may be a hero of his...

..he might have been just paying respect

Actually, he was a Broncos fan growing up.  Worked out pretty well that he ended up with Shanahan.

What do 12 or Wilson have to do with this discussion? They don't get criticized for supporting fellow QBs...

Comparing Griffin to Vick is stereotypical and, yes, an insult. Since when is Vick the measuring stick for quarterbacks who can take off? And don't give me the injury similarities because every player faces injury.

Answer me this: has 12 earned respect? What about late-round, too-short Russell Wilson? As far as criticism, I offered you the only kind I could think of. It means Griff isn't being criticized at all. In this day and age, it is nearly impossible for that to happen. That can only mean that the guy is playing mistake free or at least on such a good level that his success and good traits far outweigh the mistakes. Maybe that's why people have to take shots at every little thing he says. They have nothing to critique about his game, I suppose.

Again, you are using the last game of the season to measure Griffs overall play. He was injured. His own threat in the rushing game made Morris even more dangerous as defenses can't contain or blitz without fear of getting burned, by either the RB, or the QB passing or scrambling for a first down.

No, my interception comment was a compliment to Griffin, not an insult to 12, but your assumption of the latter is a great example of what I mean. A compliment to Griffin is not an insult to 12. It is okay to like both my friend.

Again I ask you why is comparing Griffin to Vick an insult?  They both exploded into the league with the same style of play, lightning fast and they could throw as well.  I didn't compare the character of the two people, just how they came into the league and their style of play.  I didn't say Vick was the "measuring stick" for qb's who could "take off" but if the shoe fits.

12 has earned respect from me but I don't matter.  He is in the same bout as Griffin and Wilson with regards to respect.  No i'm not using the last game, but i'm using the couple games I have been able to see of Griffin to make my assessment and my assessment hasn't changed a bit from what I originally said.

When you offer me criticism that you can "think of" means that you aren't hearing any which would totally contradict what you stated in your previous post about him being criticized alot.

You just proved my point for me(also what I said in my previous post) his threat of a running game scared the heck out of Dallas which allowed Morris to run up and down the field on them.  Again making a qb's job easier with a good rb.

You and I both know that it was a dig @ 12 while trying to "compliment" Griffin.  Regardless of that the only negative things I have ever said about the guy is that he doesn't know when to slide and i'm sick of hearing about him(not his fault just the media in general)  dude has got game i have never disputed that but he has opened his mouth a couple of time when he probably shouldn't have.

Let me put it to you this way.  Lets say your a mechanic and you have been one for 10 years.  Then the newest mechanic in the shop gets the same exact problem with a vehicle as you do but he gets his done quicker and the boss praises him, then he comes over to you, pats you on the back and tells you "your still a good mechanic"

Bro

Again I ask you why is comparing Griffin to Vick an insult?  They both exploded into the league with the same style of play, lightning fast and they could throw as well.  I didn't compare the character of the two people, just how they came into the league and their style of play.  I didn't say Vick was the "measuring stick" for qb's who could "take off" but if the shoe fits.

12 has earned respect from me but I don't matter.  He is in the same bout as Griffin and Wilson with regards to respect.  No i'm not using the last game, but i'm using the couple games I have been able to see of Griffin to make my assessment and my assessment hasn't changed a bit from what I originally said.

When you offer me criticism that you can "think of" means that you aren't hearing any which would totally contradict what you stated in your previous post about him being criticized alot.

You just proved my point for me(also what I said in my previous post) his threat of a running game scared the heck out of Dallas which allowed Morris to run up and down the field on them.  Again making a qb's job easier with a good rb.

You and I both know that it was a dig @ 12 while trying to "compliment" Griffin.  Regardless of that the only negative things I have ever said about the guy is that he doesn't know when to slide and i'm sick of hearing about him(not his fault just the media in general)  dude has got game i have never disputed that but he has opened his mouth a couple of time when he probably shouldn't have.

Let me put it to you this way.  Lets say your a mechanic and you have been one for 10 years.  Then the newest mechanic in the shop gets the same exact problem with a vehicle as you do but he gets his done quicker and the boss praises him, then he comes over to you, pats you on the back and tells you "your still a good mechanic"

Bro stop trying to educate an angry Texan fan....    he won't go away.......   

Yea, probably. Would have been nice to have an early playoff win like that though.

Agree and I remember that I thought we should have taken the penalty on that play. I guess with no cross wind and the trailing breeze it was a close call ...

Because of what Vick has become. But, like you I remember Vick before all the noise later on.

In college my dad took me to see Vick play against my school. He was pretty darn incredible to watch at the time, one of the best athletes I have ever seen in person and it was elecrtifying to witness.

Vick has faced criticisms of not only his character but his inability to be a conventional QB. He is known to run after the first read and has been injured more oft than not because of carelessness, as well as turning over the ball a lot too. I would rather compare Griffin to Rodgers or Elway than Vick. Griffin has played, I repeat, well enough to not get the right kind of criticism. (Strange wording, I know). I offered you the only real criticism that I could come up with off the top of my head and after a little research I could find no more. Does that speak more to how well and mistake-free Griffin is playing? Or do you think that there is some sort of media conspiracy to crown him the Super Bowl champion? (Not a shot at you or your way of thinking, I'm merely using the logic that some other Griffin "dislikers" use) If 12 has earned respect from you than Griffin sure as heck should have too.

Believe what you want but again, my interception comment was not intended as a slight to 12 at all. I save those for my Texan arguments. haha When the only fault you have against a guy is about him not sliding that should be a testament to how well he has been playing, and again, earning respect from his peers all around the league, not just from players who have retired.

As far as his mouth...I guess the guy rubs some people the wrong way. Not surprising since he carries himself with confidence and talks the same way. I see nothing cocky about the guy but people perceive different things sometimes.

Griffin was not telling Romo  " Hey, you lost to me but you're still a good quarterback" he was saying,  " They're going to come after you, but ignore it, you are still good at what you do, no matter what they say." Huge difference. No matter what Griffin had said, a lot of people would try and put a negative spin on it. As poster RGIII said, once people have made up their minds to not like someone, they will do whatever they can to keep that dislike going, some even going so far as to almost purposefully misinterpret what said dislikee is saying. If anything his comment shows that he and Romo have respect for each other, and that's what the NFL is all about.

I saw/heard Deion Sanders say "Why is Griffin leaning in and saying something to Romo?"  He recognized that is not the rookies place to do that.  I would be ticked if a player 8 years younger than me thought he should give me advice just because his team beat mine in a game, well intentioned or not.  Now, if an older Ray Lewis gives me advice after a game, that's okay.  He's a well respected vet. who has earned the right.  It makes a difference.    

Vick has faced criticisms of not only his character but his inability to be a conventional QB. He is known to run after the first read and has been injured more oft than not because of carelessness, as well as turning over the ball a lot too. I would rather compare Griffin to Rodgers or Elway than Vick. Griffin has played, I repeat, well enough to not get the right kind of criticism. (Strange wording, I know). I offered you the only real criticism that I could come up with off the top of my head and after a little research I could find no more. Does that speak more to how well and mistake-free Griffin is playing? Or do you think that there is some sort of media conspiracy to crown him the Super Bowl champion? (Not a shot at you or your way of thinking, I'm merely using the logic that some other Griffin "dislikers" use) If 12 has earned respect from you than Griffin sure as heck should have too.

Believe what you want but again, my interception comment was not intended as a slight to 12 at all. I save those for my Texan arguments. haha When the only fault you have against a guy is about him not sliding that should be a testament to how well he has been playing, and again, earning respect from his peers all around the league, not just from players who have retired.

As far as his mouth...I guess the guy rubs some people the wrong way. Not surprising since he carries himself with confidence and talks the same way. I see nothing cocky about the guy but people perceive different things sometimes.

Griffin was not telling Romo  " Hey, you lost to me but you're still a good quarterback" he was saying,  " They're going to come after you, but ignore it, you are still good at what you do, no matter what they say." Huge difference. No matter what Griffin had said, a lot of people would try and put a negative spin on it. As poster RGIII said, once people have made up their minds to not like someone, they will do whatever they can to keep that dislike going, some even going so far as to almost purposefully misinterpret what said dislikee is saying. If anything his comment shows that he and Romo have respect for each other, and that's what the NFL is all about.

I am old enough to have watched Elway in his younger days.  He didn't have intended "run" plays.  He scrambled in the backfield until somebody was open.  More like Fran Tarkenton.  Rodgers is the same.  Although they did run sometimes, they normally scrambled to set up a big pass play.  Michael Vick comes along and breaks off these glorious 60 yard runs and outruns the entire defense doing it.  Gurus were calling him the greatest player in the NFL at the time.  That's why Griffin is being compared to Vick.  Griffin doesn't scramble, he breaks off runs like Vick.  It's not really an insult unless he ends his career like Vick.  

I am old enough to have watched Elway in his younger days.  He didn't have intended "run" plays.  He scrambled in the backfield until somebody was open.  More like Fran Tarkenton.  Rodgers is the same.  Although they did run sometimes, they normally scrambled to set up a big pass play.  Michael Vick comes along and breaks off these glorious 60 yard runs and outruns the entire defense doing it.  Gurus were calling him the greatest player in the NFL at the time.  That's why Griffin is being compared to Vick.  Griffin doesn't scramble, he breaks off runs like Vick.  It's not really an insult unless he ends his career like Vick.  

I see what you're saying. Griffin's a track guy, too. Explains why he can break off the runs. I still would rather compare him to a quarterback who has wheels and can beat you down the field with a perfect bomb too. :dunno: Not taking anything away from younger Vick, though.

I saw/heard Deion Sanders say "Why is Griffin leaning in and saying something to Romo?"  He recognized that is not the rookies place to do that.  I would be ticked if a player 8 years younger than me thought he should give me advice just because his team beat mine in a game, well intentioned or not.  Now, if an older Ray Lewis gives me advice after a game, that's okay.  He's a well respected vet. who has earned the right.  It makes a difference.    

Since when do you have to earn the right to try to be supportive?  That's ridiculous.

It's still an affront to Griffin to invoke the name of Vick in a discussion of comparable players, even if you disregard Vick's rather detestable off-the-field habits.  The similarity between them starts and stops at the fact that they are both part of an especially rare breed of QB whose athleticism has been a featured part of an offense.  They are extremely different people with vastly different passing ability and even notably different running styles.  With the exception of the latter, virtually none of the differences between them favor Vick.

I'm going to phrase this scenario differently and I'll bet that it sounds markedly different in terms of how the younger mechanic is perceived...

Let's say that the older mechanic has had long-standing trouble working on hybrid vehicles and has just been reamed by management, essentially being called a bad mechanic, because of that one problem area.  The younger mechanic, who is a pro with all of the newer electrical systems, overhears this and approaches the older mechanic and says, "Man, screw them.  You do an awesome job around here, keep up the good work."  The younger mechanic knowing full well that the older one has a lot of experience and does a LOT of things extremely well that management is clearly overlooking in light of their current frustration.

Does that really sound so bad?

So you are comparing Manning to Sanchez?  

Sigh...   ANY Colt fan who was fan prior to 06 will back me up on this.    Manning was clowned every day on ESPN, local radio, and everywhere in between...  because Peyton could not win the "BIG ONE". ..  

How can anyone possibly deny this?   Manning was the "standard" for QB play in the regular season...  then the post season comes.    And Manning was what 3-6  prior to 06 with some truly horrific efforts.  

I find if funny how other teams "fans" are trying to educate a lifelong INDY Colt fan on my teams history.  

Manning won two MVPs before 2006. It wasn't all bad for him with the media. But I remember the criticism. It was a lot like how the media and baseball fans look at A-Rod.

And I'm just saying that, to an extent, it was earned. He had displayed a consistent inability (to that point!) to win, as you put it, "the big one." Didn't help that Tee Martin took his Tennessee team and did what Manning wasn't able to do with it.

I was the first to tip my proverbial cap to him after the '06 AFCCG, but prior to that point in his career, he failed to deliver in most cases. And he's gotten plenty of love since then.

You must not remember Manning had this game won, and Vadershank missed the game winner. Then the Dolphins scored on the first possession in OT. ESPN still made it out to Manning's fault.

No, I didn't recall those details... I looked up the box score though. It wasn't meant as a criticism, I was only pointing out that his postseason record to that point was abysmal.

A Patriot fan would not know anything about a K bailing his QB out late now would he?

I suppose you'll have a different opinion if we bring up Vinatieri accounting for all of Indy's points in the '06 playoff game against Baltimore, right? ;)

This is one of the lamest Brady hater arguments ever. I thought you were more clever than that.

No, I didn't recall those details... I looked up the box score though. It wasn't meant as a criticism, I was only pointing out that his postseason record to that point was abysmal.

Well he would have been 1-1 if the game's most accurate kicker didn't miss the kick. Who knows what could have been different.

Glad we scooped up your Vinny. We could have used him in '00 and '05.

Hey, your hate is showing. Might wanta get that fixed. What has he earned, you ask? Maybe you should ask the players he's faced this year. He was nearly undefeated in one of the toughest divisions in football, whether the Giants (who were supposed to be champs again this year, and who blew out and beat several opponents, including the 49ers) "imploded" or not. The last time I checked, the Cowboys and Giants are only two teams. Griffin led his team to enough very impressive victories to put them in the postseason. To even compare him to Michael Vick is an insult. To do so would be comparable to me comparing 12 to Painter. Since when does it take 5 years to earn respect? What if he wins 2 Super Bowls before then? Will he still not have respect because he hasn't played in the league long enough? Heck, with that logic, Roethlisberger didn't deserve respect even though he won the SB as a second year player. He has faced questions all year, and unfounded criticism from fans of all sorts of fanbases, including this one on this very board. People said that it was ridiculous that the Redskins gave up so much to get him and that it would backfire on them. People even say that he benefits from Morris and without him Griff would not be as successful, which is rubbish. Commercials, Gatorade, action figures, socks...yes, these are even the silliest of things that have been used against Griffin on this very board. His first injury warranted a " I told you so" thread and unwarranted flaming of even his slightest supporters who don't believe that he isn't a failed quarterback who can't do squat in this league. Eli and Romo get criticism for a reason...Eli for being horribly inconsistent and Romo for failing and blundering things when they really matter. They are veterans, and they were outplayed and ousted by a rookie QB who threw how many interceptions again? Was directly responsible for how many of his team's losses? Yes, you are biased, and just because the media believes that Griffin deserves ROY over 12 (which isn't a crime and is actually not a bad decision, by the way) you have to tear him down for it. 12 is not the only guy who has performed well this year, it's about time you gave the second pick in the Draft some credit. He has definitely earned it, and has no doubt earned respect for years to come.

Are you afraid to mention Andrew Lucks name??? Its OK I would be too after what we did to your beloved TEXANS....Oh ya do you really want to talk about Inconsistencies. Look I think RG3 is good but common look at how Luck approaches the Vets and other team with respect. And no I dont hate or dislike Robert I just think he needs to grow up a bit same thing with Cam Newton. Also were is the praise for Luck he deserves it too! Oh you wont give Mr.Luck any credit because he is in your division and you cant stand it that we knocked you off your stupid number one seat.

Are you afraid to mention Andrew Lucks name??? Its OK I would be too after what we did to your beloved TEXANS....Oh ya do you really want to talk about Inconsistencies. Look I think RG3 is good but common look at how Luck approaches the Vets and other team with respect. And no I dont hate or dislike Robert I just think he needs to grow up a bit same thing with Cam Newton. Also were is the praise for Luck he deserves it too! Oh you wont give Mr.Luck any credit because he is in your division and you cant stand it that we knocked you off your stupid number one seat.

Whatever you are on, I want some too. I call him 12 because, in case you didn't know, he wears number 12.

This is one of the lamest Brady hater arguments ever. I thought you were more clever than that.

Not trying to be clever...  simply stating a fact.   .

Where Vinny can through Vandy failed to help Manning and Indy in the "big moments" ..   simply pointing out that a QB's legacy can hinge on the "clutch" play of their K.      That is simply fact.

Had Vandy made those kicks against Miami and Pitt in the playoffs history is TOTALLY different concerning Peyton Manning.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, January 4, 2013 - Inflammatory
Hidden by shecolt, January 4, 2013 - Inflammatory
I think the better question would be how old are you. Judging by your trivial complaints, inability to show even the slightest bit of empathy, and your often grammatically incorrect posts, I would bet that I'm older than you. haha And every QB faces criticism, but especially big market and particularly NFC East quarterbacks. You know this. Manning was criticized for entirely different reasons than Romo and has the respect of people all over the world regardless. Even comparing the two is ridiculous. I enjoy making people like you look as silly and biased as you really are.

This made my day...John Dee sounds like fool

Not trying to be clever...  simply stating a fact.   .

Where Vinny can through Vandy failed to help Manning and Indy in the "big moments" ..   simply pointing out that a QB's legacy can hinge on the "clutch" play of their K.      That is simply fact.

Had Vandy made those kicks against Miami and Pitt in the playoffs history is TOTALLY different concerning Peyton Manning.

Fair enough, but previously you made it sound like Brady is the only QB in the history of football to benefit from having a clutch kicker. It's easy to remember the misses, but didn't the Drunk * Kicker hit three FGs in that Miami game before he missed on a 49-yarder?

You also know Vinatieri shanked one FG and had another blocked in the SB against the Panthers, right? He's a folk hero around NE (despite his treachery ;) ) and those Snow Bowl kicks were amazing, but sometimes people forget he did miss a few along the way.

simply pointing out that a QB's legacy can hinge on the "clutch" play of their K.

I'm just picking this random statement out of the mess this thread has become as an opportunity to throw a little trivia out there.

Who here has heard of Jim O'Brien?

Now who here has heard of Johnny Unitas or Earl Morral? :)

Let's take a step back and consider the culture we live in now. We have several 24-hour sports news networks floating around out there, and countless radio stations. ((the same can be said for actual news as well)). When you have only a limited number of viable stories out there, they get beat to death and repeated over and over. Look at what the NFL draft has become over the last 20 years. Now, when a big story comes along, like the unprecedented immediate impact of this entire rookie class of QBs, it gets blown up to immense proportions because it warrants more than the basic 24 hour coverage that the smaller stories already get. This isn't the fault of the players but of the general public's demand for constant information.

Now you have dozens of talking heads each spewing out their own opinions and the vast majority of them do very little work in actually validating sources and looking at the big picture. Their generally uninformed opinions now get sent out to the viewing public and most of them won't think or research anything for themselves and just take on whatever viewpoint already fit their predisposition (Confirmation Bias).

I can't remember the last time I've watched ESPN and only very rarely look at their website other than to check the standings of my favorite basketball or baseball teams (which I don't follow that closely anyway). I don't consider the over exposure all of these players get when I'm developing an opinion of them, because you can be certain that anyone who faces that amount of exposure is going to say or do something that someone somewhere will take issue with. Can't please them all. When it comes to players' behavior, I tend to go right the the raw audio or video and avoid articles or talking heads that try to interpret what was meant. I'll form my own opinion. After I'm secure in my opinion, then I may go out and see what's being said by others and if a good point is brought up, I'm not above changing my mind on anything.

Again on the topic of RG3 and Romo - let's look at this beyond the NFL. Between several various jobs and time in the military, I can't count the number of times I've had to talk to people with more experience (both in work and life) and either give direction, chastise, or provide support. If the ONLY reason you don't like RG3 comments is because of the rookie/veteran dynamic (a rookie who hasn't "accomplished anything"), then you're only scratching the surface. Look at that same clip on NFL.com and you'll see a veteran player heaping praise and thanking RG3 for all his hard work and play.

Be the type of leader people will follow voluntarily, even if you don't have the title. Griffin has done this - he came in as a rookie and his teamates eventually voted him team captain and it shows in the constant praise given him, both to the media and behind closed doors. And it isn't just in the Redskins' locker room - players talk, and you hear it from other teams when they talk about him. Cherry pick all you want, but I've watched this kid closely since Baylor and I'm pretty secure in my opinion of his character. If you think this kid is arrogant and full of himself, you haven't seen anything...

--now I just need BloodOnTheTracks to come along and give me a tl;dr :)

Let's take a step back and consider the culture we live in now. We have several 24-hour sports news networks floating around out there, and countless radio stations. ((the same can be said for actual news as well)). When you have only a limited number of viable stories out there, they get beat to death and repeated over and over. Look at what the NFL draft has become over the last 20 years. Now, when a big story comes along, like the unprecedented immediate impact of this entire rookie class of QBs, it gets blown up to immense proportions because it warrants more than the basic 24 hour coverage that the smaller stories already get. This isn't the fault of the players but of the general public's demand for constant information.Now you have dozens of talking heads each spewing out their own opinions and the vast majority of them do very little work in actually validating sources and looking at the big picture. Their generally uninformed opinions now get sent out to the viewing public and most of them won't think or research anything for themselves and just take on whatever viewpoint already fit their predisposition (Confirmation Bias).I can't remember the last time I've watched ESPN and only very rarely look at their website other than to check the standings of my favorite basketball or baseball teams (which I don't follow that closely anyway). I don't consider the over exposure all of these players get when I'm developing an opinion of them, because you can be certain that anyone who faces that amount of exposure is going to say or do something that someone somewhere will take issue with. Can't please them all. When it comes to players' behavior, I tend to go right the the raw audio or video and avoid articles or talking heads that try to interpret what was meant. I'll form my own opinion. After I'm secure in my opinion, then I may go out and see what's being said by others and if a good point is brought up, I'm not above changing my mind on anything.Again on the topic of RG3 and Romo - let's look at this beyond the NFL. Between several various jobs and time in the military, I can't count the number of times I've had to talk to people with more experience (both in work and life) and either give direction, chastise, or provide support. If the ONLY reason you don't like RG3 comments is because of the rookie/veteran dynamic (a rookie who hasn't "accomplished anything"), then you're only scratching the surface. Look at that same clip on NFL.com and you'll see a veteran player heaping praise and thanking RG3 for all his hard work and play.Be the type of leader people will follow voluntarily, even if you don't have the title. Griffin has done this - he came in as a rookie and his teamates eventually voted him team captain and it shows in the constant praise given him, both to the media and behind closed doors. And it isn't just in the Redskins' locker room - players talk, and you hear it from other teams when they talk about him. Cherry pick all you want, but I've watched this kid closely since Baylor and I'm pretty secure in my opinion of his character. If you think this kid is arrogant and full of himself, you haven't seen anything...--now I just need BloodOnTheTracks to come along and give me a tl;dr :)

TL;DR