Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Rookies Draft Class!

IcEWoLF

This has to be the best draft class in a long time I've seen.

Lets take a look at this.. 

Andrew Luck - Turned the team from 2 wins to 11 wins! This guy is going to be the next Manning or Brady. He will be up there in a year or two.

RGIII - Won one of the toughest NFC divisions, he redefined the QB position.

Trent Richardson - 950 yds this year and he was injured too...he will be a 1000 yard rusher next year.

Matt Kalil - This guy is a beast, reminds me of a young Orlando Pace.. 

Justin Blackmon - Not an impressive year, but he will get there, this guy has potentials to become the next Anquan Boldin

Morris Claiborne - he got beat few times, but overall he is a solid player, he will become a play maker in a year or two.

Mark Barron - Very good safety, good tackler. 

Ryan Tannehill - This kid is good, he just needs another year or two to develop and needs a better offensive line or he won't last too long in this league.

Luke Kuechly - I think this is one of the best picks in the draft, the guy is solid all around and a beast! He is going to be the rookie defense player of the year.

Stephon Gilmore - Good corner back, he will pose problems in the AFC east division.

Dontari Poe - He actually is a decent player, however he is inconsistent.

Fletcher Cox - Another decent player, however we did not see much from him, he had some on field issues, of course the whole eagles team was horrible this year, so I can't put my verdict on this kid.

Michael Floyd - Did not do enough this year to impress, lots of dropped balls.

Michael Brockers - Good inside DT, he can get to the QB also, not many defensive tackles can do that when playing inside.

Bruce Irvin - The Seattle defense is loaded with play makers, when this guy is in, he is a sack machine. This guy is like Aldon smith, his first year he didn't get many snaps, but when he did he made the most of it, don't be surprised if next year is going to play every snap and lead the league in sacks.

Quinton Coples - we thought he was an instant upgrade to the Jets defense, but we were wrong, he has not had a good year. 

Dre Kirkpatrick - Did not do much this year, can't comment.

Melvin Ingram - High hopes for the chargers, but he also had a poor year.

Shea McClellin - has potentials but he was not an every down defensive tackles, he will be a solid player in couple years.

Kendall Wright - Decent receiver, nothing stellar from rookie year.

Chandler Jones - He is very good on a 4-3 defense if you have another edge rusher, he will have to do better against the run.

Brandon Weeden - I am surprised he went in the first round, I thought he would go in the early 3rd round... He did not live up to the expectations, threw more interceptions than touch downs, early sign of a QB that is not going to late long in the league.

Riley Reiff - Did not see enough of this guy to comment.

David DeCastro - Injured for most of the season, can't comment.

Dont'a Hightower - Solid linebacker, he was injured for few games, the guy is a good tackler, his coverage skills need to improve.

Whitney Mercilus - he playes really well when playing defensive end on the other side of JJ Watt.

Kevin Zeitler - Solid player, he played all games for the Bengals, he will be a very good offensive lineman for years to come. 

Nick Perry - Good inside player, but needs to be more solid when tackling. 

Harrison Smith - Good overall player, he is a tackle machine, this kid is good!

A. J. Jenkins - wasted pick for the 49ers.

Doug Martin - This guy surprised everyone, he had the perfect rookie year for a running back. The Tampa Bay Offensive line also played well to give this kid a chance. He reminds me of a young LT.

David Wilson - He is the total package, he can play running back well, he can play really good as a special teams player, he can do it all, he just needs to do a better job at protecting the ball more.

BTW Special mentions to Russell Wilson, 3rd round pick and playing like a top 10 pick! 

Contributions are coming from everywher,e really. Bobby Wagner, Casey Heyward, Harrison Smith, Chris Givens, Alfred Morris (especially) all are contributing as well. Incredible class. Class of 2013 looks especially weak at QB, but could be really good for defense with Star Lateaoirsjfdsijf, Jarvis Jones, John Jenkins all set to enter.

Luck also threw a lot of picks, but I don't think that's a sign that he won't last long in the league.  I'm a fan of Brandon Weeden.  I think he will have a good career, though it will be shorter than he would like.  However, if Cleveland can fix up their offense and keep their defense playing well, he could be in the playoffs very soon

Luck also threw a lot of picks, but I don't think that's a sign that he won't last long in the league.  I'm a fan of Brandon Weeden.  I think he will have a good career, though it will be shorter than he would like.  However, if Cleveland can fix up their offense and keep their defense playing well, he could be in the playoffs very soon

I wonder if the new regime in Cleveland will be sold on Weedon. I had been reading that Cleveland was not totally sure on Weedon and a decision would be made if they were going forward with him as their QB of the future. 

I wonder if the new regime in Cleveland will be sold on Weedon. I had been reading that Cleveland was not totally sure on Weedon and a decision would be made if they were going forward with him as their QB of the future. 

I don't think you can blame just Weeden.  Shurmur wasn't a good head coach, in my opinion, and I wasn't sold on the hiring of Holmgren.  Their offense is pretty bad, but they do have some good pieces in place.  Their O-line is decent and T-Rich looks like he will be a beast.  They just need to get some consistency with their coaches, make better front office decisions, and get better weapons on offense.  With the Steelers and Ravens looking to be on the decline (at lease for this season anyway), the AFC North could be fought between the Bengals and Browns for the next few years.

Does not matter what QB that starts in Cleveland until they get a legit WR or 2 there. Josh Cribbs? C'mon!

My impression was always that Cribbs is more of a returner than a WR.  Sure he's quick and is good for screens and the go route but is he really a very good all around route runner?  He's not even listed as a starter on their depth chart on the official Browns site.  And to add, even if Cribbs is a top notch WR, who else do they have?  Their skill players, aside from Richardson, are very below average.  No way Weeden is entirely to blame for their offensive struggles.  Actually I thought he had a pretty good year considering how poor their WR core is. 

Does not matter what QB that starts in Cleveland until they get a legit WR or 2 there. Josh Cribbs? C'mon!

This is the one thing I never get with teams. How do you take a young QB and not surround him with at least someone to throw to? People get on Bradford, but who in the world has he thrown too? As you said Weeden's best WR was Josh Cribbs. Cribbs is electric out there, but is not a true number one WR. Heck, people bagged on Cutler last year, but his best player was Hester at WR.

I am just overly impressed with he QB class this year. Luck, RG3, Wilson and Tannehill all had great to good rookie years.

This has to be the best draft class in a long time I've seen.

Lets take a look at this.. 

Andrew Luck - Turned the team from 2 wins to 11 wins! This guy is going to be the next Manning or Brady. He will be up there in a year or two.

RGIII - Won one of the toughest NFC divisions, he redefined the QB position.

Trent Richardson - 950 yds this year and he was injured too...he will be a 1000 yard rusher next year.

Matt Kalil - This guy is a beast, reminds me of a young Orlando Pace.. 

Justin Blackmon - Not an impressive year, but he will get there, this guy has potentials to become the next Anquan Boldin

Morris Claiborne - he got beat few times, but overall he is a solid player, he will become a play maker in a year or two.

Mark Barron - Very good safety, good tackler. 

Ryan Tannehill - This kid is good, he just needs another year or two to develop and needs a better offensive line or he won't last too long in this league.

Luke Kuechly - I think this is one of the best picks in the draft, the guy is solid all around and a beast! He is going to be the rookie defense player of the year.

Stephon Gilmore - Good corner back, he will pose problems in the AFC east division.

Dontari Poe - He actually is a decent player, however he is inconsistent.

Fletcher Cox - Another decent player, however we did not see much from him, he had some on field issues, of course the whole eagles team was horrible this year, so I can't put my verdict on this kid.

Michael Floyd - Did not do enough this year to impress, lots of dropped balls.

Michael Brockers - Good inside DT, he can get to the QB also, not many defensive tackles can do that when playing inside.

Bruce Irvin - The Seattle defense is loaded with play makers, when this guy is in, he is a sack machine. This guy is like Aldon smith, his first year he didn't get many snaps, but when he did he made the most of it, don't be surprised if next year is going to play every snap and lead the league in sacks.

Quinton Coples - we thought he was an instant upgrade to the Jets defense, but we were wrong, he has not had a good year. 

Dre Kirkpatrick - Did not do much this year, can't comment.

Melvin Ingram - High hopes for the chargers, but he also had a poor year.

Shea McClellin - has potentials but he was not an every down defensive tackles, he will be a solid player in couple years.

Kendall Wright - Decent receiver, nothing stellar from rookie year.

Chandler Jones - He is very good on a 4-3 defense if you have another edge rusher, he will have to do better against the run.

Brandon Weeden - I am surprised he went in the first round, I thought he would go in the early 3rd round... He did not live up to the expectations, threw more interceptions than touch downs, early sign of a QB that is not going to late long in the league.

Riley Reiff - Did not see enough of this guy to comment.

David DeCastro - Injured for most of the season, can't comment.

Dont'a Hightower - Solid linebacker, he was injured for few games, the guy is a good tackler, his coverage skills need to improve.

Whitney Mercilus - he playes really well when playing defensive end on the other side of JJ Watt.

Kevin Zeitler - Solid player, he played all games for the Bengals, he will be a very good offensive lineman for years to come. 

Nick Perry - Good inside player, but needs to be more solid when tackling. 

Harrison Smith - Good overall player, he is a tackle machine, this kid is good!

A. J. Jenkins - wasted pick for the 49ers.

Doug Martin - This guy surprised everyone, he had the perfect rookie year for a running back. The Tampa Bay Offensive line also played well to give this kid a chance. He reminds me of a young LT.

David Wilson - He is the total package, he can play running back well, he can play really good as a special teams player, he can do it all, he just needs to do a better job at protecting the ball more.

BTW Special mentions to Russell Wilson, 3rd round pick and playing like a top 10 pick! 

Also, Alfred Morris, 1600 yards, 13 TD's

Great Post...I'm trying to prepare myself for a let down with the 2013 Class

It's not all bad. If you're an offensive guy...well, hope you like big uglies and Giovani Bernard because that's pretty much all you're getting. This is an excellent defensive class, though.

This is the one thing I never get with teams. How do you take a young QB and not surround him with at least someone to throw to? People get on Bradford, but who in the world has he thrown too? As you said Weeden's best WR was Josh Cribbs. Cribbs is electric out there, but is not a true number one WR. Heck, people bagged on Cutler last year, but his best player was Hester at WR.

I am just overly impressed with he QB class this year. Luck, RG3, Wilson and Tannehill all had great to good rookie years.

Josh Gordon?