Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

some mock drafts having us taking...

Jesse williams, they think that our defense needs to be the focus in the 1st, and dont get me wrong i like jesse williams but i would rather work on the line on the other side of the football,like chance warmack,johnathan cooper or larry warford.

Whatdo you think? Are they right in saying we should take a NT in the 1st and if so should it be williams or someone else?

i think some of those sites "experts" are just plain nuts! We have Brandon McKinney, Josh Chapman and Antonio Johnson. We don't need another NT. we need to have the guys we already have Healthy! I believe that the O-Line should be taken care of in FA and we should go after Defense in this draft. I believe we Need another CB to play opposite of Vontae Davis. We will need an OLB, which i wouldn't mind waiting until 2014 to get( Jadeveon Clowney), but if we went after Connor Barwin, that would be OK also. I think our Offense is meshing well, but we need an O-Line to protect Luck. We have to have a Defense that causes 3-and-Out Often! and Special Teams needs a shot in the arm as well.<br /><br />My 2 cents...

I would take Barrett Jones before i take Warmack. Warmack specializes in the running game, and though we would like to have a Power Running Game we just dont draft for it. Luck is really to good to invest in a Power Running game. so what we need is someone that can either do it all or specialize in Pass Blocking.  enter Barrett Jones. its also wise to understand where we will draft on Draft Day and more likely than not, Warmack will be long gone. I'll tell ya though, ive been hearing alot of people talk about  this cornerback Xavier Rhodes and ive been looking at some game video on him and Wow, he's a mirror image of Vontae Davis. Taller too. He's big and hits hard and specializes in Man Coverage which is the basics for a 3-4 Cover Defense. he should be available with the 25 and upper picks. We could really use him and Pagano specializes in Secondary Defense. I think we will adress Pass Rush in Free Agency, theres just too many good proven options and while we have the money, i would rather buy someone with a proven record in such an important position as OLB Pass Rusher rather than hope on a rookie. Conner Barwin, Cliff Avril, Paul Kruger, ect... what d'ya think?

Jesse williams, they think that our defense needs to be the focus in the 1st, and dont get me wrong i like jesse williams but i would rather work on the line on the other side of the football,like chance warmack,johnathan cooper or larry warford.

Whatdo you think? Are they right in saying we should take a NT in the 1st and if so should it be williams or someone else?

Don't get too worked up about what most mock drafts are saying in January.    It means almost nothing.     There are only a handful of groups who do mock drafts that really know what they're doing.

At this point -- and things could change -- I don't think Williams is viewed as a first round pick type of player.   I think he goes lower.   2nd or 3rd.   But that could change.    But remember,  the strength of this draft is defensive lineman.   I think several mock drafts have shown roughly half of the 32 teams taking a defensive lineman of some type.   And that doesn't include Williams.    So, he could get pushed down in the draft due to no fault of his own,  just law of supply and demand.

That said,  all it takes is one team to fall in love with you to change everything.   If 31 teams think the guy is a 2nd/3rd round player and one team think he's a 1st round pick -- there you go.    Strange stuff happens......

mock drafts right now are premature mostly because you have no clue where the last twelve teams are picking and you dont know what the team will do in FA so while its a need now it might not be once its time to draft

i think some of those sites "experts" are just plain nuts! We have Brandon McKinney, Josh Chapman and Antonio Johnson. We don't need another NT. we need to have the guys we already have Healthy! I believe that the O-Line should be taken care of in FA and we should go after Defense in this draft. I believe we Need another CB to play opposite of Vontae Davis. We will need an OLB, which i wouldn't mind waiting until 2014 to get( Jadeveon Clowney), but if we went after Connor Barwin, that would be OK also. I think our Offense is meshing well, but we need an O-Line to protect Luck. We have to have a Defense that causes 3-and-Out Often! and Special Teams needs a shot in the arm as well.<br /><br />My 2 cents...

I completely agree.  I don't think we'll take a NT high, if even at all.  Now granted, Antonio Johnson is a FA at the end of this year but we will still have Tevaseu under contract I believe who, if nothing else, provides decent depth along with McKinney and Chapman.  So even if we don't bring Johnson back, which personally I think we should, at least through camp to make sure Chapman and McKinney are both 100%, then we can cut either Johnson or, preferably, Tevaseu.  

If we draft a big guy on defense I think it'd be a 3 tech/5 tech hybrid kind of guy.  Preferably someone good at stuffing the run and providing additional interior pass rush.  I think our first round pick though will most likely be an OLB pass rusher or a CB.  Possibly someone for the OL if we don't get what we need in FA.

Rob Rang of CBS Sports has us taking Xavier Rhodes,

Dane Brugler (also of CBS Sports) has us taking Jesse Williams

Walter Football has us taking Jesse Williams

Draftsite.com has us taking Johnathan Cooper in the 1st but they also have us taking

3.Quinton Patton

4.Corey Grissom DT out of USF

6.Lane Taylor-Center from Oklahoma State

Found this on Grissom, Looks to be a real good penetrator but cant finish with a tackle when he gets back there

We need to upgrade zibys position at some point in the draft call me crazy but we maybe scoop up the honey badger in the third/fourth convert to safety. I believe we have the right atmosphere to help troubled players clean their lives. thoughts on Michigan State's gohlston, Texas de jeffcoat, maybe even lattimore. Forgive my spelling.

Rob Rang of CBS Sports has us taking Xavier Rhodes,

Dane Brugler (also of CBS Sports) has us taking Jesse Williams

Walter Football has us taking Jesse Williams

Draftsite.com has us taking Johnathan Cooper in the 1st but they also have us taking

3.Quinton Patton

4.Corey Grissom DT out of USF

6.Lane Taylor-Center from Oklahoma State

Found this on Grissom, Looks to be a real good penetrator but cant finish with a tackle when he gets back there

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Williams grades out to be a 1st round pick.

Not a fan of most of the websites you've listed....

Unlike Polian who admitted picking linemen was not his strong point, Grigson is going to be great at it.  He's on record as saying he won't rest until we have a great Oline.  He will be able to find talented linemen in the lower rounds and in free agency.  Unless, a great lineman falls to us, I think Grigson goes skill player in the 1st.      

I've never understood the "we should pick X position" argument, particularly 3-4 months before the draft.  We don't have close to an idea of who will be available (and we don't even know where we're picking).  If we want an OT and the top 5 are already off the board, do we reach for 2nd or 3rd round talent to get an OT or take the better talent?

I'd rather do the latter.

I think all teams should HAVE TO show the 1st 3 rounds of their draft boards. ;)

Of the players that have a good chance to be available for us,

I am GUESSING Grigsons order of preference will look like this for round #1 - Can we get all 4??? haha!

Dion Jordan

Xavier Rhodes

Eric Foster

Barret Jones

Maybe Barret Jones has TWO Pluses. Saban compares him to Bruce Mathews. EVERY Team would want that guy.

I've never understood the "we should pick X position" argument, particularly 3-4 months before the draft.  We don't have close to an idea of who will be available (and we don't even know where we're picking).  If we want an OT and the top 5 are already off the board, do we reach for 2nd or 3rd round talent to get an OT or take the better talent?

You could reach as far as for round 4 talent in round one if you really needed a OT.

And add to that we also have no idea what will happen in FA.  Yes, we currently have needs on the OL, CB, SS and OLB but we could address all of these positions in FA (unlikely, but not impossible) and wind up drafting a WR in round 1.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Williams grades out to be a 1st round pick.

Not a fan of most of the websites you've listed....

Me either really but I dont know any other sites, I also dont believe Williams to be a first round pick but I also dont believe Ansah(for example) to be a first round pick like many have suggested

Jones before Warmack.....okay I'm glad you don't make the decisions....Jones is second round talent. His only plus is his versatility but other than that....n
His only plus is not just his versatility. The thing is that he can play each position and do well at each position. He adapts and adjusts so quickly and he has a very good understanding of what going on up front at all times. He He may not have the pure stength or the power that warmack has but he does so many other things so well that he makes up for it. You can hear the announcer say when you watch the games how Alabama loves to run behind Jones alot becuase of how great he blocks.Plus he hits almost all of his blocks. Rarley does he miss a block or assignment. When he played tackle and they played LSU he was onone an one against guys like Mingo and Mongomery and did not give up a sack, he didn't get any help. Warmack is very good and specialized at guard but Barret Jones is very solid all around. I wouldnt mind either of these guys.

Completely agree. Good teams would/should never use that scenario you describe. Without fail, you take the best player on the board at that time. Never reach that far for a need position.

Completely agree. Good teams would/should never use that scenario you describe. Without fail, you take the best player on the board at that time. Never reach that far for a need position.

Unfortunately, this will have to be repeated a thousand times between now and draft time.

As an Australian, I would love the Colts to pick up Williams. A lot of the mock drafts I have read have him going middle to late teens to teams like Pittsburgh, Dallas and Carolina.

I think that he will probably slide for a bit. I hope that if a top O-line player isn't available when we pick (e.g Warmack) we trade down and try and get a couple more picks. The defensive depth in this draft seems really good.

This is my first post, btw, so don't eat me alive!

I agree with Jason on finding out what we have in Chapman and McKinnie first. Issues still seem to be outside containment and cutbacks, and when Cory Redding is not there. To me, 3-4 DE seems to be a higher need because Nevis has gone to IR two years in a row and his strength is still a 1-gap penetrating scheme. We play neither a 3-4 1-gap style nor a 4-3 1-gap style, so 3-4 DE should be higher than NT because we have less quality bodies, IMO.