Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF on Shipley vs Texans

HtownColt

With a third start in a row, we’re getting an extended look at Colts center A.Q. Shipley (+3.2), and this was a game where you couldn’t help but want to see more.

Facing a tough task of the powerful Shaun Cody and penetrating Earl Mitchell, Shipley for the most part won his encounters. It was particularly impressive to see him line up head-to-head with Cody and have little problem overpowering the Texan on more than one occasion. It presents Indy with a nice problem if, and when, Samson Satele is good to go.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/30/refo-texans-colts-week-17/

I wonder if the Colts would look at playing Shipley at guard after this season and keep him as the back up Center.  We clearly need guard help and if Satele is going to come back we might be able to play Shipley at guard to help there.  He's done that in at least one game this season. 

Go are you of opinion that Shipley has the speed and athleticism to Pull and get out in front of our RB`s?

I don`t think there is any chance with Satelle at Center we would have ran the ball like we did at the end. NO WAY! JMO.

Thinking about Free Agency, they talk all day long about MOST of the Teams having O-Line problems.

We NEED Ijalana healthy and playing up to his potential. That would be BIG. x our fingers. Our 2nd rd pic.

Go are you of opinion that Shipley has the speed and athleticism to Pull and get out in front of our RB`s?

I don`t think there is any chance with Satelle at Center we would have ran the ball like we did at the end. NO WAY! JMO.

Thinking about Free Agency, they talk all day long about MOST of the Teams having O-Line problems.

We NEED Ijalana healthy and playing up to his potential. That would be BIG. x our fingers. Our 2nd rd pic.

I am just throwing that out there as an option to get Shipley on the field if we bring Satelle back.  Personally I would have no problems moving forward with Shipley as our center other than his snaps come out low in the shotgun formation but in all likely hood that is something that can be corrected. 

At this point anything we get out of Ijalana has to be thought of as an added bonus.  Coming off two major knee injuries and really seeing extremely limited playing time before that works against him.  Don't get me wrong I would love to see Ijalana do something but I really doubt he's still the same player we drafted talent wise. 

Well, if satele can slide over to guard that would be great

I think it's more likely they would slide Shipley.  He's played some guard.  I am not sure Satele has.  In order for them to do that though I think they would have look and see can they get a guy who is going to be a better at guard than Satele will be at center or not.  If you can't then maybe you go down that road.  If you can then maybe they look into replacing Satele with Shipley.  I think Shipley is better but Satele has been hurt almost all year and I wonder if we have gotten an honest look at his skill level.  That's why I'll trust whatever the Colts do. 

I wonder if the Colts would look at playing Shipley at guard after this season and keep him as the back up Center.  We clearly need guard help and if Satele is going to come back we might be able to play Shipley at guard to help there.  He's done that in at least one game this season. 

I think it's more likely they would slide Shipley.  He's played some guard.  I am not sure Satele has.  In order for them to do that though I think they would have look and see can they get a guy who is going to be a better at guard than Satele will be at center or not.  If you can't then maybe you go down that road.  If you can then maybe they look into replacing Satele with Shipley.  I think Shipley is better but Satele has been hurt almost all year and I wonder if we have gotten an honest look at his skill level.  That's why I'll trust whatever the Colts do. 

According to his always reliable wikipedia page he has spent time at guard.  He played guard at Miami where he was originally drafted before being traded to the raiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Satele

I would love to see Satele at guard, The games that Shipley has played center i'm pretty sure have been the games where we have been the most effective running the ball.  Either way, the line really needs to be addressed in this upcoming off-season.  Via draft or FA.  Don't care just fix it!

Satele gets caught leaning to far forward off the snap pf the ball and is not strong enough right now in our Man Blocking scheme(25 reps at the Combine, Shipley is the stronger of the 2(33 reps at the Combine) and also plays with better balance and is as good at getting to the second level to block a Linebacker, Shipleys problem is lack of height and arm length (29 3/4 inches) compared to Sateles 30 3/4 inches, Shipley should start in my opinion at Center(Its worth mentioning he is a FA at the end of this year). Maybe see what Satele can do at Guard in this scheme. Shipley has to be resigned though

We all seem to see better results when Shipley is in, my guess is that Satele has a better grasp of the offense or something. Not sure.

Don't underestimate the contract Satele signed.  Satele was signed to a three year $10 million deal.  There is money tied up in Satele so I think he will play over Shipley when healthy every time.  The organization invested in Satele.  They found Shipley after bouncing around the Steelers and Eagles practice squads.  That shouldn't matter, performance should, but I think it happens a lot in pro sports.

Don't underestimate the contract Satele signed.  Satele was signed to a three year $10 million deal.  There is money tied up in Satele so I think he will play over Shipley when healthy every time.  The organization invested in Satele.  They found Shipley after bouncing around the Steelers and Eagles practice squads.  That shouldn't matter, performance should, but I think it happens a lot in pro sports.

Satale deal was 10.8 with 5 mill guaranteed and Shipley will get a decent deal after what he's shown playing for Satele. Unless one of these guys can play some guard , it's hard to imagine paying 3 or 3+ mill for one of these guys to be just a backup center. If we cut Satale , I believe the cap hit would somewhre around 3.2 mill. Pretty stiff but the trouble is that Shipley appears to be the better player.

Satale deal was 10.8 with 5 mill guaranteed and Shipley will get a decent deal after what he's shown playing for Satele. Unless one of these guys can play some guard , it's hard to imagine paying 3 or 3+ mill for one of these guys to be just a backup center. If we cut Satale , I believe the cap hit would somewhre around 3.2 mill. Pretty stiff but the trouble is that Shipley appears to be the better player.

The Satele signing was one of the few bad moves by Grigson in my opinion - but I liked it when it happened.  I hope you're right, given those two choices, I'd pick Shipley too.  But I have a feeling the team will stick with Satele. You make sense though - if the team is willing to admit they made a mistake signing Satele and cut him (and they can easily blame his health, inability to stay on the field) they will get Shipley cheaper over a three or four year deal then the one Satele signed.  But do we want Shipley long term at C?  He's better than Satele this season, but is that a decent measuring stick?

Some articles suggest the Dolphins tried Satele at guard after the Jake Grove signing and were so impressed they traded him to Oakland - who had just lost Grove to the Dolphins.  I don't think he played guard with Oakland.  I don't think Satele will transition to guard well. 

The Satele signing was one of the few bad moves by Grigson in my opinion - but I liked it when it happened.  I hope you're right, given those two choices, I'd pick Shipley too.  But I have a feeling the team will stick with Satele. You make sense though - if the team is willing to admit they made a mistake signing Satele and cut him (and they can easily blame his health, inability to stay on the field) they will get Shipley cheaper over a three or four year deal then the one Satele signed.  But do we want Shipley long term at C?  He's better than Satele this season, but is that a decent measuring stick?

Some articles suggest the Dolphins tried Satele at guard after the Jake Grove signing and were so impressed they traded him to Oakland - who had just lost Grove to the Dolphins.  I don't think he played guard with Oakland.  I don't think Satele will transition to guard well. 

I would be OK with Shipley at C and spending some real money on a stud guard or RT.

Satele gets caught leaning to far forward off the snap pf the ball and is not strong enough right now in our Man Blocking scheme(25 reps at the Combine, Shipley is the stronger of the 2(33 reps at the Combine) and also plays with better balance and is as good at getting to the second level to block a Linebacker, Shipleys problem is lack of height and arm length (29 3/4 inches) compared to Sateles 30 3/4 inches, Shipley should start in my opinion at Center(Its worth mentioning he is a FA at the end of this year). Maybe see what Satele can do at Guard in this scheme. Shipley has to be resigned though

I'm sure satele is stronger than he wad sixsix years ago at the combine. Combine numbers don't mean much when referencing a veteran

I watched our game last night on NFL Network (didn't see the live game Sunday).

Our offense hands down played their best football of the season. I didn't see Avery get the ball though so I'm gonna need him to step it up this week. But Wayne (as always), Hilton, & the 2 TE's were great in the passing game. Andrew Luck & that Hard Count was killing the Texans. He looked so comfortable in the Pocket.

Shipley had a few good blocks in the running game. But the whole offensive line was good. I couldn't believe my ears when the commentators said "this is power football" on the drive we had to seal the deal. I had to wipe my eyes to make sure I was watching a Colts game. But Shipley should definitely be the Starter

Without doing any form of detailed analysis of the tape I'd say to the naked eye Shipley has been far better than Satele but as alluded to already we've invested a bit in him already he's unlikely to be dropped. However given his showing this year he will most likely be injured anyway! 

If he could play guard I'd be happier about the money we've spent but I doubt it and I'm sure we'll see him starting next season, head bob and all. 

Shipley has the wheels to play somewhere other than center???? I don't see that but Shipley got a higher score than Luck on his wonderlic and that is what you want in a center a really smart player that knows the line calls and can take advantage of the defense if they are not ready. Emergency guard maybe, starting center probably, backup center more than qualified.  Keeper for next year even if we high draft picks on the line, without a doubt.

I remember when the Colts had Jay Leeuwenburg at center.  They had signed him to a free agent contract.  However, he lasted two years because eventually a guy named Saturday won the job.

Grigson doesn't seem to shy away from admitting mistakes and cutting his losses.  So I would expect if he thinks Shipley is better. that is who they will go with.  I, personally, think Shipley has some Saturday skills.