•  

Photo

Sick of "Suck for Luck" or "Colts tanked 2011" talk....just venting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 cmgww

cmgww
  • 1301 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Let me preface this please:

I know ESPN comment boards are the bottom of the barrel in terms of intelligence and decency, but I am so tired of seeing "Colts tanked to get Luck" crap. Same goes on PFT comment sections, as well as others where it has been mentioned.

BS!! Didn't 7 or so of our losses come by a TD or less last season? Sure we were terrible, but that was due to the lack of a decent backup QB, and Polian's house of cards finally collapsing. Combine that with a bad HC/DC and there ya go. Now in hindsight a lot of non-Colts fans are saying we tanked the season for Luck. I NEVER saw that team quit last year. Maybe others might have (perhaps the New Orleans game) but not me.

I am just venting. We had a miraculous season that no one could have expected. I think other fans are jealous we didn't have to suffer through a 2-3 season rebuilding period. And from the outside I guess it would look that way, tanking to get Luck. But as touted as he was, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Luck has been great, but Irsay took a HUGE gamble in tearing down the whole thing and starting fresh.

Rant over.
In it to win it since 1992....COLTS fan first, Manning fan 2nd

Game Rewind: Relive every NFL moment…subscribe to Game Rewind.

#2 manning04

manning04
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

That is what 11 wins this season will get us. but hard to say we tanked if we got rid of 90% of the team lol. ignore them. i am surprised how many people really do just look at records and go by that.

This post is brought to you today by Qdoba!

#3 TKnight24

TKnight24
  • 9069 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

*Sigh*

Just stop watching ESPN, NFL Network, or anything else. There, Problem Solved.

*Walks away while sipping Apple Juice*

Apple Juice keeps me sane, society doesn't

Apple Juice relaxes my mind, society doesn't

#4 SOMDColtsfan

SOMDColtsfan
  • 598 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Go ask Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne or Dwight Freeney if the Colts tanked last season. Then ask Bill Polian, Jim Caldwell or Larry Coyer if they put their careers on the line to "tank the season". Theres no way

#5 Stephen

Stephen
  • 2430 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

lol not worried bout that

#6 shakedownstreet

shakedownstreet
  • 5818 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

if the colts somehow did manage to suck for luck, it's one of the most brilliant moves in nfl history. it's a win/win either way

anyone crying about it is just jealous

#7 ConBro

ConBro
  • 1134 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I understand your frustration completely OP. Tell that to Freeney, Mathis, Wayne, McAfee and Vinatieri. We completely eradicated our coching staff after that debacle. We did NOT "tank" the season. Jealousy breeds ignorance.

:blueshoe: 2013 AFC South Champions :blueshoe:

#8 HireBruceArians

HireBruceArians
  • 1498 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Go ask Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne or Dwight Freeney if the Colts tanked last season. Then ask Bill Polian, Jim Caldwell or Larry Coyer if they put their careers on the line to "tank the season". Theres no way

That's what I don't get with that whole theory. What did the parties involved stand to gain in tanking last year? Half of them are STILL out of work right now because of last season. Anyone heard from Addai, Bullitt or Brackett (3 starters for us last year) lately? It makes no sense. "Hey, lets tank this season so the Colts organization can rebuild and throw us out like spoiled milk!"

#9 BPM_Colt

BPM_Colt
  • 1034 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have seen & heard those comments everywhere. People are jealous of our success and hate that the team is already back in the playoffs. From Manning to Luck, you can't really complain about it.

It's all jealousy, ignore it!

#10 TMPHBITEU

TMPHBITEU
  • 346 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Why do you even care?

Unless you secretly believe what they're saying, I fail to see the point.

He wondered, as he had many times wondered before, whether he himself was a lunatic. Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one.

#11 Warhorse

Warhorse
  • 3347 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

It is absurd. Try to imagine how many millions of dollars are made from a team who is winning games via vendors, advertisers, and the like....as opposed to a 2-14 team.

Absurd.

"Anyone a die harder fan? I will be there believing to the end. Who is with me?" Thread started by Steveeoaktree33 at 2:49 PM of the day the Colts executed the second largest comeback in NFL playoff history. Very few concurred.

#12 BleedingBlue

BleedingBlue
  • 1010 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I thought it was presumed that we tanked.
/shrug
Calvin Johnson drops 2 passes in the 4th Quarter? Really?

#13 NewEra

NewEra
  • 3727 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they tanked for themselves to get fired and for irsay to get Luck. Sounds reasonable.../sarcasm
Colts fan for 20+ years. Was Colts4Lyfe on forums years and 5 or so different sites ago. Been lurking around ever since. Desided to rejoin to bond with my fellow fans in our time of need. Really excited at what lies ahead!!

#14 AFCSouth

AFCSouth
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I hear this a lot from Texans fans who are generally concerned that we have bounced back so strongly and really only gave them about a 2-year window to compete for the AFCSouth Title before we take it back again with Luck.
Go Colts

#15 TrueBlueHorseshoe

TrueBlueHorseshoe
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

The entire idea is ridiculous.  Haters gonna hate.

#16 willysp

willysp
  • 561 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Wasn't this dead horse beat to a bloody pulp a year ago?

Yawn ................

#17 Coltsman1788

Coltsman1788
  • 1957 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Well...if we "tanked"..it WORKED!    :banana:  :headspin: :yahoo:

"This Trophy has a lot of glory but we are going to give the glory to God." --Jim Irsay.
Colts.com posts: 1,115

#18 GoColts8818

GoColts8818
  • 12910 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

Had we tanked it would have made a lot more sense to lose to the Texans to lock up the top pick and just stick with Kerry Collins at QB he was doing a good enough job stinking with out having to go to Painter.
Thank You Peyton! I look forward to the day you come home and we get to do this good bye thing right!

#19 pacolts56

pacolts56
  • 2788 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

See??!!.....maybe if we only partially sucked for RGIII they'd be nice to us!! :Cry:

Who gives a crap?

“With Andrew, the "it" factor is his knack for making people better.

He wants his teammates to have success, wants them to get the credit.

I’ve never seen anybody like him in that respect.”  – HS Coach Eliot Allen

#20 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11401 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

just words

Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#21 deedub75

deedub75
  • 1632 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

It's hard to say we tanked when we had Painter, Collins, and Orlovsky as our quarterbacks......

"I have 3 kids and no money. Why can't I have 3 money and no kids?" - Homer Simpson

#22 chad72

chad72
  • 8441 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

We didn't tank it, all we did is place our bets incorrectly on Kerry Collins for $2 mil. over 4 games and Curtis Painter for the most of the games the rest of the way. That is what got the Polians fired, other than just being jerks to their staff. 

I will always be indebted to Goldilocks for getting us Luck. :)

#23 PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger
  • Memb ns
  • 11401 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Don't listen to the voices

Onward Princeton Forward Princeton

PrincetonTiger77

#24 smackdown

smackdown
  • Banned
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

How do you know ownership wasn't telling them who to start at quarterback? You don't. I don't. If they were really trying to win, they would have made a trade for a backup from another team. Not rolled with Painter, Dan "0-16" Orlovsky, or Kerry Collins - a guy that was 2 - 11 the previous two seasons. It only takes one person to tank, the owner. He can throw a wrench in the whole thing...

#25 gbrads_rants

gbrads_rants
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

I assumed we tanked as well.....I don't really care though, I'm just glad we're decent again.

#26 mvbighead

mvbighead
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

This logic just confirms one thing... the QB position is simply that important when it comes to winning games.

You look at us this year, and we have a QB who is determined to win.  His stats aren't the prettiest, but at the end of games, he has some sort of drive in him that allows him to close out games.

But the reality is, in a lot of organizations, it'll come down to the QB.  There are rare exceptions such as Cassell in his fill in roll for the Patriots, but by and large, games are often won and lost at the QB position.

#27 House

House
  • 6548 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

How do you know ownership wasn't telling them who to start at quarterback? You don't. I don't. If they were really trying to win, they would have made a trade for a backup from another team. Not rolled with Painter, Dan "0-16" Orlovsky, or Kerry Collins - a guy that was 2 - 11 the previous two seasons. It only takes one person to tank, the owner. He can throw a wrench in the whole thing...

Wasn't there talk that Peyton could possibly be back for the first game early in the offseason? Then he might possibly be back game 4?

So if you are hoping your main guy could get back why would you trade for a backup? This isn't Madden, you don't just burn resources haphazardly. They thought Kerry was veteran enough to manage us through a few games. Then when it was apparent Peyton would not be returning for the season, we decided to see how our young QB, Painter, would do.

It's not a conspiracy, and last year cost many people their jobs.
In another moment, down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

#28 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6594 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

It's easy for a bunch of * to say we tanked on purpose when they probably didn't even watch 1 of our games. I think they're just jelly of our turn around and that we got Andrew Luck.

#29 JoKeR

JoKeR

And here...we.. GO...

• 6594 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Even the people at ESPN know better because the ex players they employee will quickly interject that it's probably impossible to do.

COLTS TICKETS!

Join the Season Ticket Wait List!

Game Rewind: Indianapolis Colts

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates