Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sick of "Suck for Luck" or "Colts tanked 2011" talk....just venting

cmgww

Let me preface this please:

I know ESPN comment boards are the bottom of the barrel in terms of intelligence and decency, but I am so tired of seeing "Colts tanked to get Luck" crap. Same goes on PFT comment sections, as well as others where it has been mentioned.

nonsense!! Didn't 7 or so of our losses come by a TD or less last season? Sure we were terrible, but that was due to the lack of a decent backup QB, and Polian's house of cards finally collapsing. Combine that with a bad HC/DC and there ya go. Now in hindsight a lot of non-Colts fans are saying we tanked the season for Luck. I NEVER saw that team quit last year. Maybe others might have (perhaps the New Orleans game) but not me.

I am just venting. We had a miraculous season that no one could have expected. I think other fans are jealous we didn't have to suffer through a 2-3 season rebuilding period. And from the outside I guess it would look that way, tanking to get Luck. But as touted as he was, nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Luck has been great, but Irsay took a HUGE gamble in tearing down the whole thing and starting fresh.

Rant over.

Go ask Robert Mathis, Reggie Wayne or Dwight Freeney if the Colts tanked last season. Then ask Bill Polian, Jim Caldwell or Larry Coyer if they put their careers on the line to "tank the season". Theres no way

That's what I don't get with that whole theory. What did the parties involved stand to gain in tanking last year? Half of them are STILL out of work right now because of last season. Anyone heard from Addai, Bullitt or Brackett (3 starters for us last year) lately? It makes no sense. "Hey, lets tank this season so the Colts organization can rebuild and throw us out like spoiled milk!"

We didn't tank it, all we did is place our bets incorrectly on Kerry Collins for $2 mil. over 4 games and Curtis Painter for the most of the games the rest of the way. That is what got the Polians fired, other than just being jerks to their staff. 

I will always be indebted to Goldilocks for getting us Luck. :)

How do you know ownership wasn't telling them who to start at quarterback? You don't. I don't. If they were really trying to win, they would have made a trade for a backup from another team. Not rolled with Painter, Dan "0-16" Orlovsky, or Kerry Collins - a guy that was 2 - 11 the previous two seasons. It only takes one person to tank, the owner. He can throw a wrench in the whole thing...

This logic just confirms one thing... the QB position is simply that important when it comes to winning games.

You look at us this year, and we have a QB who is determined to win.  His stats aren't the prettiest, but at the end of games, he has some sort of drive in him that allows him to close out games.

But the reality is, in a lot of organizations, it'll come down to the QB.  There are rare exceptions such as Cassell in his fill in roll for the Patriots, but by and large, games are often won and lost at the QB position.

How do you know ownership wasn't telling them who to start at quarterback? You don't. I don't. If they were really trying to win, they would have made a trade for a backup from another team. Not rolled with Painter, Dan "0-16" Orlovsky, or Kerry Collins - a guy that was 2 - 11 the previous two seasons. It only takes one person to tank, the owner. He can throw a wrench in the whole thing...

Wasn't there talk that Peyton could possibly be back for the first game early in the offseason? Then he might possibly be back game 4?

So if you are hoping your main guy could get back why would you trade for a backup? This isn't Madden, you don't just burn resources haphazardly. They thought Kerry was veteran enough to manage us through a few games. Then when it was apparent Peyton would not be returning for the season, we decided to see how our young QB, Painter, would do.

It's not a conspiracy, and last year cost many people their jobs.