Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Griffin, Asante and Spears to reserve/future contracts

austriancolt

I'm pretty sure Grigson isn't the only GM signing players to future/reserve contracts this week.

I don't know much about any of these players, but they're probably all long shots for the final roster next year.

No, you're correct.  I think you're allowed to expand your off season roster to 90 as soon as this season is officially over.  So every GM is going to try to grab any guy he thinks has a shot as soon as possible.

Kind of sucks for those teams that fired their GMs yesterday.  But it's great for us.

***Griffin is a Good pickup, I watched him in the 2012 Combine, quick for a Big Guy and Strong, very good at getting down field in front of the Runningback could be a good pulling Guard, but needs to work on his lateral movement down the line, and his pass blocking not the greatest, as far as keeping defenders from knocking the ball down, but like him A LOT compared to what we have NOW..

***Spears is a Big Linebacker @ 6' 4" 234lbs. not much on him other than what browns and colts websites are giving... we will just have to see...

***Asante was drafted by the Browns and then cut and went to Bucs and then cut again, hmmmm a 6' 0" 210 lbs. Safety out of Nebraska in 2010 Big 12 Honors considered Strong against the Run but weak as a Pass Coverage Safety.. he has nice size as a Strong Safety but wondering if he can develop into an all around player would be nice to see Chuck make him into another Ed Reed... All I can tell is Colts are moving players up on all rosters to take the places of injured players and these players are just going to be filling open positions on the practice squad... Griffin has the only Real shot at being a Starter or Back up but with the way the Offensive Line has played this year, the cheerleaders could have Sacked Andrew, so Griffin has a Very Good chance..

6'4" 234lbs isn't a big LBer, in fact, he's quite a bit light in the *** IMO. A LBer his height should weight at least 20 more lbs.

I trust our Gm's judgement on these guys (worth a good look at least)

All bets are off with that traitor Elway... I will not take offense to any names that any of you want to call him, but it did all work out in the end, so......

Grigson is the EOY... Elway made the right choice for his team, but Grigs built an entire staff that moneyballed into the playoffs.

halfway down the page I forgot what the heck this thread was even about.  Don't know anymore about the 3 players now then before I started the thread.

LOL!  I tried once to get it back on track.  Apparently failed.

And to answer you, I couldn't find much more about these guys than what's been posted here.

What is that decision of Horseface (your words) get them to and winning the SB? :funny: Then what excuse do you have? :dunno:

It wasn't exactly a difficult decision.

"Hey John, do you wanna sign a perennial pro bowl QB??"

"Sure, have some money."

ELWAY IS A GENIUS!!

Asante was a great safety at Nebraska, but I think he looks a bit like a poor man's Zbikowski in the NFL.

RG330 will have to develop inside, which is a tall order considering how soft he tends to play. Certainly has the body, but so did a lot of guys.

Griffin is STRONG? Draft Scout shows he did 14 Reps at 225. This is problematic, for a Cornerback!

Either an Injury involved or lack of commitment. Trust in Grigson.

Yeah 14 reps at 225 is pathetic if you're 330. I was 180 and could bench 225 15 times no problem. You are supposed to be able to do double your body weight if you are a serious athlete/weight lifter

How does a "reserve/futures" contract work?

It's like a commitment letter.  A team legally can't have more than 53 on its active roster, not counting IR and PS, until the season ends.

They can only be signed by players who weren't on anyone's active roster at the end of the season.

Yeah 14 reps at 225 is pathetic if you're 330. I was 180 and could bench 225 15 times no problem. You are supposed to be able to do double your body weight if you are a serious athlete/weight lifter

Fourteen reps is not impressive, of course, but at 6'6", I'd bet his arms are significantly longer than yours are. One rep for him could be like a rep and a half for you.

Not to diss on my boy Bill Polian, who I think is one of the great talent evaluators.  But it is interesting that Polian could never seem to get big guys or fast guys on the team.  Sure, there are a few exceptions.  But usually they were smaller, quick players.  WRs there had average speed.

In one year, Ryan Grigson gets six enormous D-Lineman, 4 fast WRs, fast DBs, and a fast kick returner.  And they aren't half bad.  Sure, the DLineman aren't probably average NFL players, but their size and strength helps to eat up space.  Kudos to Grigson.

Not to diss on my boy Bill Polian, who I think is one of the great talent evaluators.  But it is interesting that Polian could never seem to get big guys or fast guys on the team.  Sure, there are a few exceptions.  But usually they were smaller, quick players.  WRs there had average speed.

In one year, Ryan Grigson gets six enormous D-Lineman, 4 fast WRs, fast DBs, and a fast kick returner.  And they aren't half bad.  Sure, the DLineman aren't probably average NFL players, but their size and strength helps to eat up space.  Kudos to Grigson.

Fast and quick would be samething...

It's hard to get a big tall fast WR.  They generally go in the top five picks which Polian had two of the whole time he was here. 

Also Garcon was extremely fast and was a Polian find.  Stokley was quick as well who Polian brought in.  Marvin was also a quick guy and while Polian didn't bring him having Marvin on the roster limited our need to go get one. 

Polian had his flaws but we were rarely hurting at the WR poistion under him. 

As for defense that's what they spent years doing getting fast undersized guys.  Yes it wore down towards the end but the Colts had a lot of speed over the years.  The two guys the defense was built around in Freeney and Mathis are as fast as any ends as you are going to find in the NFL. 

***Griffin is a Good pickup, I watched him in the 2012 Combine, quick for a Big Guy and Strong, very good at getting down field in front of the Runningback could be a good pulling Guard, but needs to work on his lateral movement down the line, and his pass blocking not the greatest, as far as keeping defenders from knocking the ball down, but like him A LOT compared to what we have NOW..

***Spears is a Big Linebacker @ 6' 4" 234lbs. not much on him other than what browns and colts websites are giving... we will just have to see...

***Asante was drafted by the Browns and then cut and went to Bucs and then cut again, hmmmm a 6' 0" 210 lbs. Safety out of Nebraska in 2010 Big 12 Honors considered Strong against the Run but weak as a Pass Coverage Safety.. he has nice size as a Strong Safety but wondering if he can develop into an all around player would be nice to see Chuck make him into another Ed Reed... All I can tell is Colts are moving players up on all rosters to take the places of injured players and these players are just going to be filling open positions on the practice squad... Griffin has the only Real shot at being a Starter or Back up but with the way the Offensive Line has played this year, the cheerleaders could have Sacked Andrew, so Griffin has a Very Good chance..

Robert Griffin is 6-6 and 330lbs. He posted 14 reps at his pro day with 5.54 forty, 1.91ten, 4.94s, and 8.03c. That seems slow and weak for a G. Maybe he has the flexiblility to bend and get leverage but he does not seem quick enough to get to the second level to block.

Quinton Spears was listed as 6-4.5 and 234 at his pro day. He had 21 reps, 4.69 forty, 1.62 ten, 34v,10'2"bj, 4.25s, and 7.27c. All the numbers seem to indicate that he is a good athlete. He played safety and receiver in high school. He tore his meniscus in preseason prior to the start of his senior year of high school and had to sit out the year. He did not get any offers for college probably due to the meniscus tear. He walked on at Prarie View where he played DE. He seems like a diamond in the rough.

Larry Asante was a ss at Nebraska drafted by Cleveland in the same draft that the Browns drafted Clifton Geathers who also is now a Colt. Asante was at the combine and posted the following results: 4.62 forty, 1.60 ten, 14 reps, 37.5v, 9'10"bj,4.17s, and 7.00c. He was picked up by Tampa Bay from the Browns PS. He could be a diamond in the rough.

It's like a commitment letter.  A team legally can't have more than 53 on its active roster, not counting IR and PS, until the season ends.

They can only be signed by players who weren't on anyone's active roster at the end of the season.

So no one can sign them and when the season ends, only the Colts can sign them?  So right now, they haven't been promised a specific amount of money?

Spears was listed as 6-4.5 and 234 at his pro day. He had 21 reps, 4.69 forty, 1.62 ten, 34v,10'2"bj, 4.25s, and 7.27c. All the numbers seem to indicate that he is a good athlete. He played safety and receiver in high school. He tore his meniscus in preseason prior to the start of his senior year of high school and had to sit out the year. He did not get any offers for college probably due to the meniscus tear. He walked on at Prarie View where he played DE. He seems like a diamond in the rough.

Fourteen reps is not impressive, of course, but at 6'6", I'd bet his arms are significantly longer than yours are. One rep for him could be like a rep and a half for you.

somewhat true. im only 5'9. but he would usually go with a lot wider grip also. tallest guy I worked out with was about 6'2ish but was benching more than most nfl guys squat. one guy was a former Mr.Indiana. so yeah the guys I worked out with were either body builders or power lifters. big difference than NFL, cause you still want your speed and explosiveness...who knows