Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MVP vs Rookie of the Year

Smonroe

I would second that

The same way college football has awards for for every position group.

I've mentioned that elsewhere too. 

Of course then there would people arguing about what to name it. Some are easy. The Jerry Rice wide receiver of the year award. Some would be more complicated... Running back, you could go with Jim Brown, Payton, Sanders, some would argue Emmitt Smith.... QB would be an argument in itself.   It's basically done with the First team all-pro.

I've mentioned that elsewhere too. 

Of course then there would people arguing about what to name it. Some are easy. The Jerry Rice wide receiver of the year award. Some would be more complicated... Running back, you could go with Jim Brown, Payton, Sanders, some would argue Emmitt Smith.... QB would be an argument in itself.   It's basically done with the First team all-pro.

just do not name them

Luck has a tough case to make over Wilson and RG3 because of his large number of turnovers.  He has 18 interceptions and 10 fumbles on the year...  RG3 looks like he will win it right now, the media and fans around the NFL seem to really like him as well.

Luck is a great QB though, you're going to have an elite QB for the next 10+ years, but he has his work cut out for him to win rookie offensive player of the year..  I just dont see it with 28 turnovers.. That is A LOT of turnovers, and one of the main jobs of the QB is to manage the game, not turn the ball over nearly 30 times.

This a difficult year for choosing the best rookie. I like Luck, RG3, Wilson, Morris, and Martin as the finalists.

RG3 will win it because he has some very good stats. That team is electrifying when they are clicking on all cylinders. 

Our coach being out I think hindered the team, even though Arians stepped in well. I think it hindered the team because Arians had to focus on the whole team rather than the offense. 

They should give it to Luck because he ran the offense with a bunch of rookies and cast offs. Did he make a lot of mistakes, yes. But we ended up finishing out a lot of games. 

MVP should go to Peyton. He is, and always will be a machine. It is like clockwork, no matter who he is playing against or with. He goes out, plays great, and wins games. 

AP should definitely get comeback player of the year. His season was nothing short of incredible. I bet if he broke Eric Dickerson's record, he would have gotten MVP as well.

Yikes, I was into and agreeing with everything you said right up until this point. How can you say that RGIII shouldn't even be in consideration? He has had a phenomenal rookie year, with 3200 yards passing and 826 yards rushing, totaling 4026 total yards. He has a 4:1 TD to interception ratio passing, and threw up 7 more touchdowns on the ground as well. This was with missing a game as well, his numbers would have been much higher, but I'll also point out that missing a game is a durability issue which should also be taken into account for stuff like this.

You're also forgetting about Alfred Morris who just set the Redskins single season rushing record with over 1600 yards and double digit touchdowns. Hes had an amazing year along with Griffin and should be in consideration for the award, although they will obviously go with a Quarterback, he still needs to be mentioned in conversation because he was terrific this year.

Robert Griffin

Passing: 3,200 yards | 20 TD | 5 INT | 3 FUM | 65.6% Completion

Rushing: 826 Yards | 7 TD | | 9 FUM | 6.9 Yard Avg

Andrew Luck

Passing: 4,376 Yards | 23 TD | 18 INT | 9 FUM | 54.1% Completion

Rushing: 255 Yards | 5 TD | | 1 FUM | 4.1 Yard Avg

Russel Wilson

Passing: 3,118 Yards | 26 TD | 10 INT | 3 FUM | 64.1% Completion

Rushing: 489 Yards | 4 TD | | 2 FUM | 5.2 Yard Avg

Alfred Morris

Rushing: 1,613 Yards | 13 TD | 4 FUM | 4.8 Yard Avg

Receiving: 77 Yards | 0 TD | 0 FUM | 7.0 Yard Avg

They can all make a good case for winning it, I don't remember a rookie class ever being this good ha

Let's see the only stat that matters . The W/L colum .. Only one I care about as a fan you argue completion % yard and turnovers all you want.

My reasons for Luck.

Most yards for rookie QB.

Most yards in a game by a rookie QB.

Most 300 yard games by a rookie QB.

Most wins by a rookie QB taken fist overall, stands now at 11.

Took a team that was 2-11 to 11-5. From last place in the whole league to, 4th place in the AFC and 7th place in the league.

Played the whole season.

7 game winning drives?

6 fourth quarter come backs by a rookie.

Has the worst Oline of the three. Seattle and Washington both have running games, Indy is starting to find one, but still isn't there.

Only Wilson and Luck should be in the consideration, I am sorry. RGIII does NOT belong. If RGIII gets it over Luck or even Wilson, it shows that ROY is just a joke. Wilson is the only other person I could see getting it, but his team was already the best out of the three, which is why I believe Luck should get it.

When you look purely at "team" passing yards its clear the Colts average 7th in the league in passing yards. Washington 20th and Seattle 27th. Here's the tell tale: Washington #1 in Rushing and Seattle #3....Colts #22. RG3 and Wilson both had great seasons but both also benefitted from having a great team running game whereas Luck was leaned on heavily to make plays especially late in games. All 3 deserve consideration but Luck did more with less and set every record along the way.

RG3 is the rookie of the year. The Colt's defense carried the team. In their 11 victories, opponents averaged 18.2 points oer game, which is good for 5th in the league, which is pretty good since Luck had a lot of turnovers. I see a team with a great defense that has it's bad days. I don't know where the myth started with ESPN pundits that Andrew Luck is working with nothing. They clearly have an agenda...

Great defense? Please. In total yards, in ALL games we were 7th worst and in points allowed we were 12th worst. I agree that the defense was good at times but they were no where in the neighborhood of "great"

I listened to a lot of sports talk on the drive back from Indy today.  I think it was on Mike and Mike where they were discussing the MVP, between Peyton and AP.

They agreed they're both equally deserving, so how should they judge it.  They decided that the Bronco's were a very good team last year, even won a playoff game.  Peyton had a lot to work with but he did make them better.

The Vikings were horrible last year, they lost their best receiver, their QB is average, not to mention that Adrian was coming back from a horrendous injury.  And yet they made the playoffs on his legs.  Therefore, he deserves the award.

I'm okay with that.  But they didn't seem to want to make that the deciding factor for Rookie of the Year.

Double standard?  I've said it already, all three kids deserve it.

Now, what's that line from Animal Farm?

I cant see a top QB and a super star RB as being equally MVP. A QB does so much more.

That;s why the Washington running back isnt in line for Rookie of the Year.

If the feats are even close.... Best player....Best team......best record....Best QB

Let's see the only stat that matters . The W/L colum .. Only one I care about as a fan you argue completion % yard and turnovers all you want.

Wins and Losses are a result of a team, not an individual player.  It is a stat that can be considered, but it certainly doesn't trump the core statistics of the players and their PERFORMANCE.  I wouldn't have a problem with Andrew Luck winning the OPOY, but that is going to be very difficult to do for him when he has 28 turnovers... 

28 is a HUGE number, don't even kid yourself. Those 28 turnovers certainly didn't help contribute to their Wins column, ill tell you that much.

I wouldn't call him the most consistent, he did miss a game and some change. He also hasn't been playing that well the past couple of games, especially last night. I know he has a knee problem, but he can run, and if he can run, why can't he stand in the pocket and put up big numbers? Now that he can't run as well as he used to, his passing has declined. Which it shouldn't, because he is a pocket qb first right? At least that's what everyone says...

a knee injury would also effect your throws, watch a qb they use their legs a lot in a throw so logically a hurting knee could effect even a pocket passers throws.

a knee injury would also effect your throws, watch a qb they use their legs a lot in a throw so logically a hurting knee could effect even a pocket passers throws.

So his knee is good enough to run, plant, put all of his weight on it multiple times... But its not good enough to throw the ball effectively? Come on man... You have to do better then that.