Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers Interested in Bruce Arians

Big Al

Isn't this tampering? BA is under contract with the Colts. If our season was over, then it would be a different story. But we're not done yet.

Teams that just fired their coach can send out interview requests.

They aren't the ones communicating this, this is their local media, doing the digging and reporting.

Teams that have bye's(DEN,NE,ATL,SF) can actually have their coaches interviewed during the bye weeks, but teams like Baltmore & the Colts can't  at this point.

So San Diego or anyone else will have to wait till the Colts have played their last game to interview Arians or any other assistant. 

I really think the Chargers would be a good fit for an older coach like Arians because the problem there isn't really talent you just need to tweak it some and get some new parts not a total overhaul.  I also think Arians would be a good fit for a team that has a really good QB  that just seems to be missing something.  Given Arians history with QBs he could be exactly what Rivers needs.  I could see this going down.  Rivers and his arm would probably be a very good fit for Arians and his offense. 

Isn't this tampering? BA is under contract with the Colts. If our season was over, then it would be a different story. But we're not done yet.

Don't really see any tampering they aren't holding a presser to say hey we are interested in Arians.  It is just leaking out they are interested in him it's not like they are reaching out to him yet.  With that said, Phil B. said on twitter that teams are not aloud to reach out to coaches of the wildcard teams this week so if they want Arians they will have to wait.  The more we extend our season the better our chances of keeping BA goes up because who knows how long teams will wait.  I know it has come out that had the Ravens beaten the Pats last year and gone to the Super Bowl that the Colts probably would not have waited two more weeks to interview Pagano and hired someone else. 

Imo, Arians is too old to start Fresh. Might as well go out in Indy. We're only in Year 1 of the Monster Building..... why leave us when you played a HUGE Role in this Team being 11-5. All the Coaches did. I don't see any of them leaving us unless Irsay gives them the boot which I doubt he will

Imo, Arians is too old to start Fresh. Might as well go out in Indy. We're only in Year 1 of the Monster Building..... why leave us when you played a HUGE Role in this Team being 11-5. All the Coaches did. I don't see any of them leaving us unless Irsay gives them the boot which I doubt he will

Because his dream is to be a NFL Head Coach.  At his age who knows if he'll ever get another chance to live his dream.  I couldn't fault him at all if he left with that said being able to come back to Andrew Luck isn't exactly a bad option either. 

His success as an interim probably added fuel to his desire to be a head coach. 

I can understand that. But idk, I just can't see him leaving us out to dry like that

I gotcha.  I would be upset if he left but I wouldn't be upset with him. 

He would immediately become the enemy if he left, especially for the Chargers. 

Caldwell has what 3 games as an offensive coordinator?  We could get him!  :disco:

I gotcha. I would be upset if he left but I would be upset with him.

He would immediately become the enemy if he left, especially for the Chargers.

Caldwell has what 3 games as an offensive coordinator? We could get him! :disco:

Sign Out right now & you go to Timeout to think about what you just said mister haha

Honestly..... Money can't replace what this organization has built this year. It's been...... words can't even describe what this season was

Please, its more than just the money.  He strives to be a head coach.  Who could blame him for leaving?   Why would anyone with any type of career aspirations turn down the chance to move up?  

Please, its more than just the money. He strives to be a head coach. Who could blame him for leaving? Why would anyone with any type of career aspirations turn down the chance to move up?

I guess. But I'm just sticking with my gut feeling that he won't leave us

Truth is, if he would have captained this thing to an average record, people would want to throw the bum out. Feel free to go back and see how many negative posts there are here about him. He will never be hotter than he is right now.

As far as the money, I would guess that his salary would at a minimum....quadruple. If I passed that up my wife would brain me with a skillet.

I really think the Chargers would be a good fit for an older coach like Arians because the problem there isn't really talent you just need to tweak it some and get some new parts not a total overhaul.  I also think Arians would be a good fit for a team that has a really good QB  that just seems to be missing something.  Given Arians history with QBs he could be exactly what Rivers needs.  I could see this going down.  Rivers and his arm would probably be a very good fit for Arians and his offense. 

Actually now that you mention it, his long shot offense with no checkdowns sounds absolutely like Phillip Rivers to me.

I really hope he stays....

The last thing I'm worried about is Luck's ability to learn a new offense next year.

This sentiment surprises me. I feel like Alex smith was nearly ruined by the shuffling of his offensive coaches/systems. Luck has taken so many strides and progressed so far this season, to implement a new offense would mean that a lot of what Andrew has accomplished his rookie year would be for not.

Do you feel like the current system is not that great and a new system such as a WCO would benefeit Andrew greater?

Or do you feel like Andrew is so smart you just simply aren't worried at all.

Just curious, I usually find myself agreeing with you quite often but I am a tad bewildered by this.

Agree with Superman.    It would not be a problem at all for Luck to learn a new offense.

Especially, if we get someone to come in with the West Coast Offense.

But, even if we don't,  Luck will learn the new offense faster than anyone on the team.   The rest of the team will have to work hard just to keep up with Andrew.

No worries there.....     I'd only be concern with who we'd replace Arians with?     Other than that,   no worries from me.

But,  we're a long way from anything happening with Arians just yet.

Agree with Superman.    It would not be a problem at all for Luck to learn a new offense.

Especially, if we get someone to come in with the West Coast Offense.

But, even if we don't,  Luck will learn the new offense faster than anyone on the team.   The rest of the team will have to work hard just to keep up with Andrew.

No worries there.....     I'd only be concern with who we'd replace Arians with?     Other than that,   no worries from me.

But,  we're a long way from anything happening with Arians just yet.

Lol you are not concerned with Luck learning a new offense but you are concerned with who would replace Arians? Aren't those basically the exact same thing? Luck will be learning the offense of the new person we choose. Whether it be WCO or not. Whoever we bring in will bring a new system with them I can assure you of that. That will be Lucks new Mentor like Arians was. We are all in agreement that the Stanford Grad, Luck can learn any offense. Whatever offense it is, is what concerns me.

All I am trying to say is fearing that the Colts will bring in the wrong person is one of the corner stones of why people are concerned about Luck having to learn a new offense already. Do you think that the 9ers were making good choices in my example?

Teams that have bye's(DEN,NE,ATL,SF) can actually have their coaches interviewed during the bye weeks, but teams like Baltmore & the Colts can't  at this point.

So San Diego or anyone else will have to wait till the Colts have played their last game to interview Arians or any other assistant. 

So then it would be ideal for the Colts to reach the Superbowl so that the Chargers will have to delay their interview process, hence Arians might get passed over for another candidate?

This sentiment surprises me. I feel like Alex smith was nearly ruined by the shuffling of his offensive coaches/systems. Luck has taken so many strides and progressed so far this season, to implement a new offense would mean that a lot of what Andrew has accomplished his rookie year would be for not.

Do you feel like the current system is not that great and a new system such as a WCO would benefeit Andrew greater?

Just curious, I usually find myself agreeing with you quite often but I am a tad bewildered by this.

I know the question was not directed at me but could not resist giving my thoughts on the qustions. many QB's over the years have had more then 1 offensive coordinator over the years (Most have not had not 6 Im sure especially in 6 years). Ultimately its up to the QB to make the calls on the field and adjust as he sees fit,  I tend to believe a great or even a good QB can even make an average O Coordinator look better then he is, ya obviously want a Coordinator thats going to utilize plays to the QB's strengths while working on his weaknesses without having to expose them in a game situation. Personally I think the system is alright but far from ideal, Its worked before enough to help win a SB with Big Ben but it still does not get the best out of Luck by allowing him to roll out of the pocket plus it exposes him to repeated vicious hits even though a big part of that is our O Line. I have also noticed when pass plays are called there have been times where underneath routes have been missed by Luck. Bur I seriously doubt hiring another O Coordinator whenever that time comes (eventually it will do to Arians being 61 already) will hurt especially if its one that uses a WCO

Lol you are not concerned with Luck learning a new offense but you are concerned with who would replace Arians? Aren't those basically the exact same thing? Luck will be learning the offense of the new person we choose. Whether it be WCO or not. Whoever we bring in will bring a new system with them I can assure you of that. That will be Lucks new Mentor like Arians was. We are all in agreement that the Stanford Grad, Luck can learn any offense. Whatever offense it is, is what concerns me.

All I am trying to say is fearing that the Colts will bring in the wrong person is one of the corner stones of why people are concerned about Luck having to learn a new offense already. Do you think that the 9ers were making good choices in my example?

I think we're saying the same thing,  but I'm not sure you're aware of it.

Point One:   Luck learning ANY new offense will never be a problem.   Even if it's the worst offense ever created.

Point Two:   My concern with who replaces Arians is over the type of offense we run,  not the difficulty in Luck trying to learn it.    I think the offense we run does not suit Luck at all.    I think it make Andrew's job harder, not easier.   And I think Arians' play calling is very hit and miss.     I think a West Coast offense suits Luck's skills much, much better.    

Hope that clarifies....

I think Andrew Luck is miles ahead of Alex Smith already, and I think that was the case before he was drafted. Alex Smith came out of a spread offense at Utah, while Luck was running a pro style offense under a former pro quarterback. As a matter of fact, Harbaugh had Luck teaching the offense to Smith during the lockout. Even Urban Meyer doubted that Alex Smith would have any success unless he was completely comfortable in an offense. The 49ers made several mistakes while trying to develop Smith, including changing the coaching staff more than they should have. But he wasn't the same kind of player or leader that Luck has proven to be.

The current system is deficient, absolutely, and while I'm not saying we necessarily need a WCO disciple, that is what Luck ran at Stanford, so it's not necessarily learning a new offense. It's going back to something he had already been a student of, and quite successfully.

Luck learned a completely new system is a short period of time, while also trying to get acclimated to playing in a league that's far more talented than the Pac division he earned his draft stock in. Everyone who's coached him has said he has a nearly photographic memory. During camp, the coaches allowed the defense to send all kinds of blitzes at him, and he had a bad day. Then he and Arians went in and dissected the film. They came out for another session, and he picked the same blitzes apart. He spent three weeks with Tom Moore before the draft, and Moore said he has "instant recall." He said "you'll never have to worry about anything." 

Luck is special, I think. Well ahead of Alex Smith, both athletically and from a mental standpoint, and tougher mentally as well. I do think continuity would be important, but like I said, there are flaws inherent in Arians' offense that I wouldn't mind seeing walk out of the door with him. And it's nothing against Arians; he's been great for us and for Luck, from a mentor standpoint and as a stand-in head coach. But I'm not going to cry if he leaves, because I don't really like his play calling.

So then it would be ideal for the Colts to reach the Superbowl so that the Chargers will have to delay their interview process, hence Arians might get passed over for another candidate?

I think there are teams that won't be making coaching changes until around that time anyways, like the Jags or the Panthers, who are waiting to hire a GM before they decide what to do with the coach. Much like we did with Caldwell, and we didn't wind up hiring a coach until the week before the Super Bowl.